test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - March 18, 2015

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150308c.9.

New Feature:

The Herald Sphere:
  • The Herald Sphere is a brand new PvE Space 5-player cross faction queue.
  • Fight the Heralds of the Iconians who have constructed a temple with the ability to move their ships all across the galaxy at will.
  • The Herald Sphere will have Normal, Advanced, and Elite difficulty options.
  • For Tribble only, this queue will not have a cooldown.
  • This is a work in progress and has not been finalized.
  • For more information, please visit the Heralds Sphere blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9106383-the-herald-sphere

General:
  • Resolved an issue where Transwarp would activate even when cancelled.
  • Increased the turn rate when at Warp speed in Sector Space.
  • Players are no longer trapped between the Pollux star and Orbital rings upon leaving the Pollux System in the tutorial.
  • Foundry functions are now turned on.

Known Issues:
  • Sector Space Revamp is not in a final state.
    • Numerous transwarps from missions do not place the player in the correct location.
    • Some ship FX scales incorrectly in Sector Space.
  • The Herald Sphere is not in a final state.
    • The queue does not have a cooldown.
    • The powers and FX for the Heralds are not finalized.
  • Mission objectives don't display on the tracker until the window is updated another way such as opening the In Progress mission journal.
  • Beam in/Warp in animations don't play when entering or leaving mission maps.
Post edited by coldsnapped on

Comments

• salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Is the Wonky Field of View settings when switching to sector space fixed?
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • pashganpashgan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dear devs, could you, please, replace background image of Milky Way in sector space with high resolution picture? Present low-res image spoils everything.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Beam in/Warp in animations don't play when entering or leaving mission maps.

The last time I checked, the beam-in and warp-in animations were broken not only in mission maps, but in social zones too.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    13. The beam-in and warp-in animations are broken, though the beam-out and warp-out animations still work. Also, the screen flashes when you beam down to Starfleet Academy or Klingon Academy: it looks as though you enter the map twice.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it'd be nice to just be able to disable the warp in/out animations, as well as all cutscenes.
  • miroexinmiroexin Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150308c.9.

New Feature:

The Herald Sphere:
    • The Herald Sphere is a brand new PvE Space 5-player cross faction queue.
    • Fight the Heralds of the Iconians who have constructed a temple with the ability to move their ships all across the galaxy at will.
    • The Herald Sphere will have Normal, Advanced, and Elite difficulty options.
    • For Tribble only, this queue will not have a cooldown.
    • This is a work in progress and has not been finalized.
    • For more information, please visit the Heralds Sphere blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9106383-the-herald-sphere

General:
    • Increased the turn rate when at Warp speed in Sector Space.

Played Herald Sphere normal:

I know that it's not in final state but I have to say I would like some objectives and optionals that are not kill wave 1, 2 and 3 - enter - kill - exit - kill. Something like Kithomar or Cure.
    ***Not to disrespect your hard work*** but now it looks like Deep Space Encounter (and I love new DSE - look under The new DSE) listed in PVE queue. In most PVEs the team is rushing not to fail the timer or desperately trying to stay as long as possible alive to deal as much damage possible to kill the entity.

On Holodeck in PVEs Optional is a timer (or 33% of ships killed) which you fail it is Game Over. I am not native English speaker and please correct me if I'm wrong but that would be an Objective. I think that would be the reason lot of the queues fail. People just think that it is an option.

Turn rate increase at Warp speed:
    Is welcome, appreciated and thank you for that.

The new Deep Space Encounters:
    1. They are refreshing. I am trying to cross as fast as possible from one corner of the map to ketch them... The chase is already a trill... :)

2. New displays before and after of skill, XP, dil and goodies is clear and informative so that I don't have to wonder if I will get something and how much did I earned.

3. Enemies that warp in and are not all present upon arrival in system - I LOVE IT

Sector Space:
    I love everything done to it.
    It fills like travelling.
    Systems look stunning.
    Would love if:
    I could zoom out a little bit more,
    all MK 14 Warp cores would give warp factor 14, 13, 15 or something
    and star streaks for ALL warp speeds like we saw on TV for NCC 1701-D or NCC 74656 would be great.

Above are all subjective observations and preferences.
    After 21 crafting assignments and burning 1575 dil to bypass 2h building time to build MK II dual cannon I got:
    0, yes zero very rare AP MK II dual canons
    p.s. I will execute my rare Jam’hadar who is serving under me for 1,5 years for incompetence it’s just a MK II dual canon, he is Energy Weapons Officer not a Doctor.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    could you add this to your list please?

transwarp for excelsior class ships will crash and send you to desktop upon pressing t or the transwarp icon.

Reported this awhile back, still happening
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Increased the turn rate when at Warp speed in Sector Space.

My ship turns faster now at regular warp, but not while in slipstream. Do you intend to increase slipstream turn rates as well?
    Some ship FX scales incorrectly in Sector Space.

The warp trails for the Borg and Omega engines are smaller now, but they sputter.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    pashgan wrote: »
    Dear devs, could you, please, replace background image of Milky Way in sector space with high resolution picture? Present low-res image spoils everything.

I was posting about that yesterday.

Its been bugging some of us since beta, I mean at the time we thought it was just a "placeholder"

The other day I was in the foundry and it had a really, really old sector. Then going to tribble it was nice how far its come. But it still has that low rez background that brings the map down.

To me it looks like someone googled milky way, copied a thumbnail image, pasted it in and called it a day.

Some of the stuff Taco and his people do is stunning. The sector back drop isn't one of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rtgtheexilertgtheexile Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015

transwarp for excelsior class ships will crash and send you to desktop upon pressing t or the transwarp icon.

working as intended.

Best wishes, Dev Montgomery Scott ;)
    Hank@rtgtheexile

Fleet Staff Officer - Sigma Task Group
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2015
    Some time ago Tacofangs posted really nice sun images on Twitter.

I still see very bright glowing suns on Tribble, all bloom and lensflare. What happened to the pretty suns?

Yeah okay, not "final state". Hope it it turns out nicely in the end.
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited March 2015

when you crash to desk top you should get a pop up that says "Good Morning Captain" :P
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it'd be nice to just be able to disable the warp in/out animations, as well as all cutscenes.

^^^^^^^^ This +++++ :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    longasc wrote: »
    Some time ago Tacofangs posted really nice sun images on Twitter.

I still see very bright glowing suns on Tribble, all bloom and lensflare. What happened to the pretty suns?

Yeah okay, not "final state". Hope it it turns out nicely in the end.

Wha?

Here's two shots of Pellme (I htink?) that I took just now on Tribble.
    High Graphics Settings
    Low Graphics Settings

Obviously, low won't look as good, but there should be nowhere that is just a giant circle of color like it was before. Can you post a screenshot?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    working as intended.

Best wishes, Dev Montgomery Scott ;)

:P
    when you crash to desk top you should get a pop up that says "Good Morning Captain" :P

I chuckled... yeah that'd make me laugh... hard... but to be honest that's how it should be when your excel transwarp hits that 1 percent fail chance.
  • prapiliusprapilius Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Community Known Issues:
    • /showfps: the same as in NW: out of order - since this patch.
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Can you post a screenshot?

http://imgur.com/a/sP7Co#0

An entire album with hopefully useful comments for each image. No worries, only 15 images.

All screenshots taken with maximum settings and Bloom at 20%. Lensflare on/off doesn't seem to make any difference for the looks.

I am quite fine with the looks of our suns in sector space on Holodeck. They don't have such an intense glow at larger distances. Googling for "Elite Dangerous Sun" shows more stylized suns with more surface texture and not so much glow of the corona.

Close up the suns and planets as well) look already fine!
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015

An entire album with hopefully useful comments for each image. No worries, only 15 images.

All screenshots taken with maximum settings and Bloom at 20%. Lensflare on/off doesn't seem to make any difference for the looks.

I am quite fine with the looks of our suns in sector space on Holodeck. They don't have such an intense glow at larger distances. Googling for "Elite Dangerous Sun" shows more stylized suns with more surface texture and not so much glow of the corona.

I didn't see some of the effects with post processing off.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Make sure you have prost processing on, I think that effects it.
  • st3a1th2st3a1th2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For those asking about suns, go to options and put bloom quality to high
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015

Ok, so the bottom line here, is that you don't like the lens flare suns at a distance.

Note that your "This is how distant stars" should look image is essentially what we have, minus the cross (which only happens in camera lenses with specific filters).

I'd say Elite Dangerous' stars look similar to our close up stars, just higher resolution.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These look like some good notes, however I'm wondering when we will see a Dev Blog about Pilot Specialization abilities for our BOffs. I don't suppose either Taco or Bort can give us a heads up about that, please*?

*Pretty please?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ok, so the bottom line here, is that you don't like the lens flare suns at a distance.

Note that your "This is how distant stars" should look image is essentially what we have, minus the cross (which only happens in camera lenses with specific filters).

I'd say Elite Dangerous' stars look similar to our close up stars, just higher resolution.

I thought the stars looked fine, even Elite's stars are usually just big bright balls of light at long range than close up.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    our close up stars, just higher resolution.
    that one looks more like a ball of water in space than a star
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2015

I would agree with that assessment. Both stars are beautiful. They just have more polys to spare. :)
    sharpie65 wrote: »
    These look like some good notes, however I'm wondering when we will see a Dev Blog about Pilot Specialization abilities for our BOffs. I don't suppose either Taco or Bort can give us a heads up about that, please*?

*Pretty please?

Actually I think they're already in the BOFF trainer on Tribble.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    O_O! It's the Waters!

Actually... now that I think about it... where IS that in the DQ?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited March 2015

In all honesty up close a star does look like a storming ocean of never ending flame. It's burning electrified gas so dense that portions of the interior are as dense as lead.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    In all honesty up close a star does look like a storming ocean of never ending flame. It's burning electrified gas so dense that portions of the interior are as dense as lead.
    but in this case, it looks like an actual ocean in space - or like a stargate's event horizon
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Actually I think they're already in the BOFF trainer on Tribble.

Oh? I'll have to give that a peak some time. Thanks!
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    edited March 2015
    The glow of distant stars just looks wrong to me. Huge tendency to go crazy with bloom even with only 20% bloom setting.
    edited March 2015
    The glow/looks of a sun at distance in comparison.

http://imgur.com/a/sP7Co#1

vs

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/14/nov/elite/2/1_eliteshadows.jpg

Notice that our Tribble-STO-Suns have a very round glow/halo. The Elite sun has some rays, and as I am by coincidence in the Qo'noS system right now, the sun there also has more pronounced rays and isn't "round" glowing as the two suns in my imgur image.