test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone know the name of the two warp core ship?

salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Academy
I have heard of a federation ship that has TWO warp cores unfortunately I cannot recall what ship it is. Anyone know the answer?
Post edited by salem1574 on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A canon ship? A ship that is in game?
    I am aware of neither, it could be that the Prometheus at least canonically has more than one, since it has 3 warp-capable segments. But other than ships that are in a bugged state, there are no ships with two warp cores.

What exists are ships with two deflectors, or rather a regular one, and a "secondary" deflector - which are all Science Vessels now.

Oh, and the Kobali ship from this year's Anniversary comes with a Warp Core and Singularity core, but the singularity core is not slottable into the ship, it existed so that Romulan characters could also acquire the 4-set bonus from the Kobali Set on a Romulan vessel. (And the core was delivered together with the ship when opening the Kobali Cruiser reward pack.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mondoidmondoid Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It was the Intrepid class, aka Voyager. Google "Voyager MSD" in any picture of it you find the second warp core behind the deflector dish array.
  • Options
    salem1574salem1574 Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A canon ship? A ship that is in game?
    I am aware of neither, it could be that the Prometheus at least canonically has more than one, since it has 3 warp-capable segments. But other than ships that are in a bugged state, there are no ships with two warp cores.

What exists are ships with two deflectors, or rather a regular one, and a "secondary" deflector - which are all Science Vessels now.

Oh, and the Kobali ship from this year's Anniversary comes with a Warp Core and Singularity core, but the singularity core is not slottable into the ship, it existed so that Romulan characters could also acquire the 4-set bonus from the Kobali Set on a Romulan vessel. (And the core was delivered together with the ship when opening the Kobali Cruiser reward pack.)

That's right. My bad. :) there is a ship with two deflectors & NOT two warp cores. It was a nice dream anyway. :)

I was trying to increase my sector space travel speed without touching my driver coil skill. I already have the Borg Assimilated Subtranswarp Engines Mk XI and I top out at 16.49 but I could use just a bit more zip. :)
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Voyager has 2 warp cores. There's debate on the purpose of the second warp core...
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The USS Titan is referenced as have a double refracting warp core and twin intermix chamber. quoted in a deleted scene from Nemesis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQqe5-B3TI
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Voyager has 2 warp cores. There's debate on the purpose of the second warp core...

Rick Sternbach had suggested at one time that the second core was to serve as a set of spare parts, in case the main core needed repairing without the ship having to visit a starbase or drydock.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Rick Sternbach had suggested at one time that the second core was to serve as a set of spare parts, in case the main core needed repairing without the ship having to visit a starbase or drydock.

Redundancy in a critical system? No way! :P
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Redundancy in a critical system? No way! :P

I could be wrong, but I suspect most aircraft carriers and nuclear submarine don't carry an entire spare nuclear reactor with them... ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I think they usually do.

Most nuclear carriers have two, and the U.S.S. Enterprise (the first nuclear powered carrier) has eight.
  • Options
    tm706tm706 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I could be wrong, but I suspect most aircraft carriers and nuclear submarine don't carry an entire spare nuclear reactor with them... ;)

Nope . 15 Years on Attack Subs. Never saw the spare reactor, Not that it stopped us from sending new guys to find it (or Gig Line etc. )
    Coffee is life.

Message me in-game (@tm706) for help

1st Alpha Quadrant Fleet
  • Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think they usually do.

Most nuclear carriers have two, and the U.S.S. Enterprise (the first nuclear powered carrier) has eight.

Those aren't spares, though, they actually run them all. The Nimitz and Ford classes are supposed to be able to travel with only one in case of damage or equipment failure, but for full operations they need both.

The Enterprise used all eight, as well. They were individually much weaker than the ones on the Nimitz and Ford carriers. I don't know how many it needs working at minimum to get moving, but none of them were spares.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    hevach wrote: »
    Those aren't spares, though, they actually run them all. The Nimitz and Ford classes are supposed to be able to travel with only one in case of damage or equipment failure, but for full operations they need both.

The Enterprise used all eight, as well. They were individually much weaker than the ones on the Nimitz and Ford carriers. I don't know how many it needs working at minimum to get moving, but none of them were spares.

I didn't think they were spares, but having multiple would be the redundancy I'm talking about. I don't think the one on Voyager is a spare either, since that would be a waste of a functional reactor.

Having at least two reactors lets you take one offline for repairs, which is kind of important if you can't easily reach a friendly planet.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the thing about Voyagers' Class 9 core is the intermix chamber is at one end instead of in the middle.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    secondary warp core? - Epic quality ship DEVICE- increases all power level caps by 10 and power levels by 5 use ability = like EPS transfer all power levels +20 for 30 seconds.

Other device idea: reinforced power system (no active ability) adds power insulators and flowcaps...
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Yeah, there was never any indication in the show that it was actually usable, and in several occasions they specifically said they HAD to have the primary.
    I didn't think they were spares, but having multiple would be the redundancy I'm talking about. I don't think the one on Voyager is a spare either, since that would be a waste of a functional reactor.

Having at least two reactors lets you take one offline for repairs, which is kind of important if you can't easily reach a friendly planet.
    The warp core isn't even main power. Sure it's the most powerful energy source on the ship, but most systems don't run off it. Insurrection is a good example of this. Riker ejects the core and it EXPLODES... and then goes back to shooting the Son'a.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I thought without a Warp Core, they don't have the power to go to warp? That suggests it's a significant portion of their power.
  • Options
    admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I thought without a Warp Core, they don't have the power to go to warp? That suggests it's a significant portion of their power.

Well from a purely Technical POV,(I've studied too many Star Trek Tech Manuals.) Calling it a warp core is a nickname, The Correct name is Matter Antimatter Reaction Assembly, or MARA for short.

The MARA has nothing to do with the warp engines, which are housed in the Ships nacelles. What the Mara does is produce Plasma which is used by the ship as a power source. For Warp travel the Plasma is injected into the warp coils which then create the warp field allowing warp travel.

All ejecting the Mara does is stop the ability to produce more plasma. It will have no effect on the plasma already produced which is inside the ships Electro Plasma System.

As for going to warp, They could still do it for a few seconds to a few minutes, without the Mara, but the plasma would be used up very quickly leaving the ship running on backup Fusion Reactors.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Short version: the warp core is a giant power source bigger than all the others on the ship put together. The only thing that NEEDS that much power is the warp drive. For normal operation, only a small fraction of the warp core's potential is used.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Or in Nemesis, when the Scimitar knocks its warp core offline, the Big E runs the whole resulting battle at near-full combat capability on fusion reactors alone.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    siriusmusictownsiriusmusictown Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tm706 wrote: »
    Nope . 15 Years on Attack Subs. Never saw the spare reactor, Not that it stopped us from sending new guys to find it (or Gig Line etc. )

USS Triton did carry a spare reactor. How squidly is that?
  • Options
    jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    According to the Haynes Manual B'rel had a double warp core.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Prometheus tops Voyager/Intrepid-class by having three.
  • Options
    davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mondoid wrote: »
    It was the Intrepid class, aka Voyager. Google "Voyager MSD" in any picture of it you find the second warp core behind the deflector dish array.

maybe that msd is just wrong? cause its basically stupid, in one episode the voyager had to eject the unstable warpcore, why didnt they use the secondary one then? (when those poor borg decimated species tried to steal it)

i cant recall to have that second warpcore seen before anytime o0
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    davideight wrote: »
    maybe that msd is just wrong? cause its basically stupid, in one episode the voyager had to eject the unstable warpcore, why didnt they use the secondary one then? (when those poor borg decimated species tried to steal it)

i cant recall to have that second warpcore seen before anytime o0
    yeah, it was never seen or talked about in the show.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    cearavcearav Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just saw a deleted scene on you tube yesterday that had wesley, picard, and beverly in it. Wesley said he was going to be on the titan and it had 2 cores. Only reference I know of.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Two warp cores, I wondered about this. The warp core is in the hull. That is the part where the main enginering takes place. My Armitrage has two hulls. In which hull is the warp core? Or has it two cores?

Something else. The warp core is a collumn like construction. The hull is in most cases a tube. I would say give both the same orientation. No, the collumn is vertical and the hull tube is horizontal. It doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    Two warp cores, I wondered about this. The warp core is in the hull. That is the part where the main enginering takes place. My Armitrage has two hulls. In which hull is the warp core? Or has it two cores?

Something else. The warp core is a collumn like construction. The hull is in most cases a tube. I would say give both the same orientation. No, the collumn is vertical and the hull tube is horizontal. It doesn't make sense.
    Cores don't NEED to be a vertical column. Arturis's core on the Dauntless looked like a ball. (not Fed)

The core on the original Enterprise actually seemed to be horizontal. Maybe the Armitage is too?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,022 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    The old NX Class also had a horizontal core.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The U.S.S. Yamato from Klingon academy was a Federation battleship, featuring 2 warpcores in 2 engineering hulls.
    The power was needed to feed the energy hunger of the 2 Starbase-grade- assault phasers mounted under its belly.
    The kind of phaser that will cut right through a Battlecruiser.

The klingon side has the sword of kahles super dreadnought, also with 2 warpcores and assault phasers.

Romulans got the shaft though, they only had dem plasma lobbing slow birds....

Here is a pic:
    [URL="[URL=http://s36.photobucket.com/user/stargliderx/media/Yamato2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e6/stargliderx/Yamato2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]Yamato2.jpg