test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic needs to be more forthcoming about these Delta perks

mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
With less than two weeks to go, and Cryptic has been pretty vague about what would make a Delta recruit so different compared to our "classic" characters that we have been playing for over the past half decade. It would be quite a lot of cost to create and level a whole new character in this game these days, and I haven't really been "sold" yet on whether it's worth the investment.
Post edited by mhirtesc on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    They're most likely spreading out the details so as to help build anticipation or something. The closer we get, the more details we'll have.

My whole take on the "Delta Recruit" characters is that once the event is over, they will revert to normal characters, but have something left over like a title. Kinda like how not everyone has the "Steam Powered" title or the "Shaka, when the walls fell" badge.

However... the chance to unlock an account wide perk by running a Delta Recruit? Why not? Its a break from the usual Endgame grind, AND get to dust off some old C-Store ships.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why? Until the system is life, nothing you do will affect your ability to acquire any of these perks.

Everything the talk about the system right now serves to build anticipation.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Knowing now, rather than in 2 weeks, makes how much difference? None... Until the event actually begins, there's absolutely no need to know anything about it at all, in all reality...

The very fact you've gone to the extent of this thread, indicates that the ploy is indeed working... Despite your claims that you have not really been 'sold' on the idea, you're clearly intrigued enough to complain no more information is forth coming - their marketing tactics are working...
    rattler2 wrote: »
    However... the chance to unlock an account wide perk by running a Delta Recruit? Why not? Its a break from the usual Endgame grind, AND get to dust off some old C-Store ships.

Frankly, the trait alone is worth the effort IMO...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My the OP is very impatient. They'll set you know when it's time. Not until than.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We know we get a free character slot for it and it's going to provide more opportunities to ignore the endless spec grind.

That's about all I need to know.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am also impatient, but in a different way. I want to roll a new character now, but it feels stupid if you can do it in about two weeks and you can get all kinds of cool stuff.

Have no clue what is so important about rolling a new character. You can replay almost all the missions. Cryptic wants some data on new character progression in the 1 to 60 range?

I may sound doomy, but that would mean there are not many new players that are leveling.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Unless you're starting crafting new equipment for the new character now, there's still plenty of time.
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    you can make one and not level it up just to take advantage once the character is created I dont think there is going to be much time limit. Its a game so make a character or not.

They are giving everyone a free slot for this even so I see no reason not to at least login and make one.. you can worry about how much "work" you want to put into it at your leisure really.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have it on reliable authority that more blogs are coming. I have no idea what they're going to be about specifically, but they're coming.

Bear in mind that all of this communication gets released on a specific schedule, that they don't change unless they have to. Right now, they're teasing more Season 10 stuff and I get the impression there's still details they haven't talked about yet.

No need to push Warp 9... We'll still get there at Warp 6, just takes a little more patience.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Five days? But I'm mad nowww" - Homer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpLd0WQKCY
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic is pretty terrible in releasing information bit by bit. Just look when they announced Delta Rising. In comparsion, if you look at how WOW did the same for their new expansion, nearly every day you got teased and they would release information about the upcoming changes to your class and characters. Cryptic is like we are changing something.....nothing....a little tidbit....nothing....and then something.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic, the name says it all.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We have two full weeks until Delta Recruits launch. We get a blog almost every workday. Sometimes two blogs.
    y1arXbh.png

• tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    'anticipation'? 'apprehension' is more apt.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hate to say it, but if it's like anything else they've done since LoR, they probably don't even know what will actually work or not. Once they're sure it's a feature and not a bug, they'll probably start talking about it more. After which, it's still a 50/50 on if it will work at launch or not.

Is this just going to be an event though? How long do we get to earn rewards on our recruits? What is there to stop us from deleting the character afterward?

Is this just a way for cryptic to fudge the metrics a little more to brag about all the new characters being made?
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I have it on reliable authority that more blogs are coming. I have no idea what they're going to be about specifically, but they're coming.

LOL, and I have it on good authority that the sun will rise in the morning... :P

Now, I hope your "source" meant that more information will come tomorrow. ;) If not, then... of course more info is coming "soon." :)
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Doesnt really matter if they explain it ahead of time, its not as if any preparations need to be made on our end.

Preparations? How about

-- More ships to buy (if you want to try a different school than your main has)
    -- More essentials from Lobi store
    -- More DOFFs to buy
    -- More lockbox traits to buy
    -- More manuals for training BOFFs

And expect the EC spammers to swarm like flies over this, with that increased demand for more EC.

It's a lot more expensive to get a new toon up to speed than when STO was on Season One.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's been like this since the Perfect World acquisition and PW took over marketing prior to the F2P transition. You'd think we'd be used it it by now. :rolleyes:
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They had me at Dilithium... a new and interesting way to earn dilithium... preferably massive amounts of dilithium... while actually playing content and not just grinding the same content over and over... and with a new trait to boot...

Now lets just hope they bring a Q exp event in conjunction with it... so I don't have to grind DR patrols from 50 to 60.. or at least as much.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    With less than two weeks to go, and Cryptic has been pretty vague about what would make a Delta recruit so different compared to our "classic" characters that we have been playing for over the past half decade. It would be quite a lot of cost to create and level a whole new character in this game these days, and I haven't really been "sold" yet on whether it's worth the investment.

they wont give it up because you ask, they will give it up when they want to. when ever that will be i will be waiting all the same.
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    They had me at Dilithium... a new and interesting way to earn dilithium... preferably massive amounts of dilithium... while actually playing content and not just grinding the same content over and over... and with a new trait to boot...

Now lets just hope they bring a Q exp event in conjunction with it... so I don't have to grind DR patrols from 50 to 60.. or at least as much.

and yet you ignore the previous few years where cryptic have hyped up the community with apparently good things coming only to find out its that same wolf in sheeps clothing it has always been, the classic bait and switch. if you are that easily taken in by this dilithium thing, then cryptic sure do have it easy to be able to easily punch the community in the face, and everyone loves being punched in the face, right?

anyways, it probably wouldnt make any different to someone like yourself? but if i were in your position i would reconsider somewhat to a more watchful position then biting their bait at this time without knowing more about what to expect first.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015

You are right but somehow this entire event sounds like something which is going to be rushed and falls from the sky as of sudden. So I don’t hold much against them in that respect.

The main intention behind it seems to be to attract new players or long term returnees with the ambition to start over new.

All the possible goodies granted to those of us currently in game with our regular toons is just an also rushed out integration to upset the existing community not even further, and going them a reason to play more intense. If player numbers and new toon generation statistics would have worked in cryptics favour the past months we would not see such an event in the first place.

These seems to be interesting times in STO calling for interesting measures.

Server wide goals with server wide progression benefits! Just imagine what an impact that would have made with the actual release of DR. Very sad that peeps where called exploiters instead when they teamed up for fast progression back then.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All we need is one sentence: "After the event ends, the Delta Recruits will not retain any character-bound benefits over characters created before or after."

It should've been in the first blog. Still waiting.
    edited March 2015
    they wont give it up because you ask, they will give it up when they want to.

How conformist of you.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No, its called being realistic and patient. Might want to try it some time instead of clogging up the forum with posts looking for things to complain about.

We are being realistic. We expect Cryptic to offer something shiny and attractive to the playerbase while nerfing other things. It's their classic pattern. Players are fed up with the lack of communication too on major game decisions and if you can't handle the complaining, some of which is justified, my advice is don't use these forums anymore.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
    edited March 2015
    No, its called being realistic and patient. Might want to try it some time instead of clogging up the forum with posts looking for things to complain about.

Why do I get a feeling that if you were in a certain role, your answer would be "Yessir! How big a starship do you want, sir? Right away sir!"
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hype sells. That is the entire gaming industry in a nutshell these days. I'm sure most publishers spend more time and planning on the marketing campaign than the studios actually spend making a decent game in the first place.

Cryptic know how to hype. I tend to think they are pretty good at it. It's got all of you talking about it ;)

I prefer patience personally, and to remember my own golden rule when it comes to any sort of promotion. Never believe the hype.
  • rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Preparations? How about

-- More ships to buy (if you want to try a different school than your main has)
    -- More essentials from Lobi store
    -- More DOFFs to buy
    -- More lockbox traits to buy
    -- More manuals for training BOFFs

And expect the EC spammers to swarm like flies over this, with that increased demand for more EC.

It's a lot more expensive to get a new toon up to speed than when STO was on Season One.

You can do all of this in two weeks, when the event begins. You are not suffering anything by waiting for the details.