test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

2/26/15 Update and Crashes to Desktop

hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
Well, it's back for me. And I'm convinced it's related to anything Cryptic does to the UI.

About two patches ago, the crashes I've been getting since the anniversary update began had ceased. I was able to play the game normally. Now it seems the crashes have returned. Same circumstances as before. I play any piece of content that is heavy with activity, game will crash.

Can I expect this to be an up and down roller coaster in performance with this game for it's foreseeable lifespan? *sigh*
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dunringilldunringill Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I am having crash issues as well when I try to log into the game client. My client ran fine until today's patch [Feb 26, 2015].
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I experience random game client crashes ever since the anniversary patch. I have no clue what triggers them. They seem to have gotten better last week but no… they are here to stay.

Yesterdays patch did nothing to help me on the issue.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've started getting "GameClient has stopped responding" a lot since yesterday's patch, usually just after changing map.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    vandyfoxvandyfox Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    WoW! I am having exactly the same issues Hypl! Suffered for weeks when anniversary came out, lots of CTDs especially during Crystalline. Then it went away a week or 2 ago (?), but now its back! Crashed in ground and space bz, lost my dili and progress and just now crashed in Bug hunt at the boss. I dont even know what to say anymore. This is a complete joke and I am so mad that I have lost most if all respect for this company. I no longer have anything nice to say bout this.

Cryptic, I gave you money for some ships recently in hopes to try have some fun in the game still, but it was a mistake! I feel customers should be able to get refunds if they cannot enjoy the game due to your errors or constant changes. Take my game back and refund me all my purchases in the last year, cuz this has been a big LIE.

Angry and Tired of this.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/2wte2v/looking_for_gameclientexe_crash_commonalities/

Found a Reddit thread that's trying to find commonalities with these crashes. Might be of some use.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ty for the link, but it only confirms what I know already.... that Cryptic neither tests its content thoroughly nor provides adequate support for their mistakes. I can see this forum filling with others who are experiencing the same issues now, but it makes me feel no better. No game I have ever played has suffered from so many issues, nerfs, bugs, that I have to slap myself for still playing this mess.

I feel a fool for trying be optimistic about this game over the years and telling others to look on the bright side. I wish I could get my money back, I really do, as this has been my biggest mistake and waste of money I have done online. How a company can get away this type of service makes no sense! :(

2/28/15 Crashed in Undine space bz as planet killers arrived, lost my progress again (!!!). No error reporting option as usual. Can find no log of the problem. It is all my fault or my puters fault no doubt! How could such a fine company be at fault (snarksnark). Also crashed 15 mins earlier transferring maps Klingon Academy to First City. Always quick CTD, but sometimes I suffer the SERVER NOT RESPONDING puts me to login screen also. What a stupid MESS! But its my fault, its my win7, its my intel chip, its my labradoodles hair!TRIBBLE%@! OFC why didnt I think of that!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    [Very helpful report:]

Title: Ode to STO

Post Body: My game crashes, alot alot alot! How many times now, I forgot forgot forgot! It crashes to desktop everyday, it crashes in every possible way. It crashes in the morning and it crashes at night. It now crashes just out of spite! I try to be nice and behave, but I feel more and more a slave. You took my money and left me poor, and now I cant even shop at my favorite store! I had a smile a day, things had went my way. Now I waste time playing a game that always ends the same. CaaaaaaaRRRRaaaaaassssssssHHHH!!!!

Reproduction steps:

1. I logged into any of my characters.
    2. I am anywhere in the game.
    3. I moved, I stayed still, I play, I need a pill.
    4. I tried to have fun. What is that word? I have none.
    5. When I was fighting enemies here or there, or fixing a knot in my hair. CRASH!!!!

I am a fitch now cuz of you.
  • Options
    oo7angelooo7angelo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    same here, crashes about 5 to 6 times a day since last months update. no matter what mode i try , safe mode .etc. also i get the same error message if i try dx9. filed a ticket and they are responding and trying different things to fix the problem but no success so far. i am very, very close to giving up on this game especially when gta 5 comes out on pc. sad to say because i do love this game also, but crash after crash, lagging like crazy on the usa server also has me sick to my stomach already. german server = zero lag, if you can read german you're good but i can't so that's out of the question too. wow they really ruined this game which was such a pleasure to play at maximum graphics, now they recommend to me to play in safe mode all the time, really? they want me to play the game looking like it's in playstation 1 graphics? because that's exactly what it looks like in safe mode. i have 2 gtx 760 TI's in sli mode and no way am i settling for safe mode. i want the game looking like it's supposed to look like without any crashing at all, the way it was before the dr update that totally ruined it all. time for dr to go away, at least till they get it working correctly.
  • Options
    ulquadroulquadro Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is exactly the same problem I have. The patch two weeks ago fixed my "gameclient has stopped working" crash. And now, after the patch from 2-16-15 the problem is back again.
    Very frustrating...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Here's something I've also noticed since this update. Every time I pick up an item, the game slightly stutters for a microsecond. And the game even crashed one time right at the moment I picked up an item.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I would like a refund.
  • Options
    captainedwards09captainedwards09 Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm having a crash almost everytime I do a Borg Red Alert, incredibly frustrating
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Haven't had a crash since the 3/5 update.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this'll happen every other patch or so... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    tyelisatyelisa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just installed Arc, downloaded STO, ran all the patches, and I'm also getting the GameClient has stopped working message. Too bad, I was looking forward to playing.
  • Options
    kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No more crashes for me since the last patch :confused:
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    there does seem to be a common link on reddit regarding how the game is being played. multi monitor crashes, and non full screen crashes. cards, OS's used and cpu's vary but how the game window is handled is common.

crashing on multi monitor setups or crashing on single monitor in windowed or windowed maximised modes.

i've had zero issues with the game and i play long sessions 10 characters through rep and the event daily. almost always fullscreen though. alt tab for brief periods but return to fullscreen as soon as i'm done with whatever.

another possibility is you have software interfering along with the multi and windowed modes that could be breaking sto's rather fragile hold on running properly. shut down av's, anti-malware, etc, clean up all background processes you don't need and try it fullscreen, single monitor mode.

if nothing else doing that can possibly narrow down why it crashes.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No more crashes for me since the last patch :confused:

neither for me it seems.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've not had a crash either since the patch, although I've had bad UI lag this weekend.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    zeropiumzeropium Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Frequent crashes, chat system fails...it never ends. This is ridiculous. I'm really losing patience with this endless list of broken mechanics.
  • Options
    gammatrekgammatrek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Crashing on two machines. One with Nvidia and one with Intel graphics. Just like all the other posts. Always happens in heated battle. For a while in the last month or so it was crashing even while sitting and doing nothing. Now mostly during battles. Some battles reach a point that I can never get through without crashing every time I start that portion of the quest. Tried re-install of game and cleaning re-install of video drivers. Even tried all the older drivers back to November 2014. Tried DX9 and 11. This has to be a cryptic problem. I have a friend who plays just fine but both of my systems crash and crash and crash a lot. HELP!
  • Options
    metaphorgrandemetaphorgrande Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since the 5th anniversary ended, I have not had any Gameclient.exe issues. I had them 7-8 times a day during the event. Hmmm, pretty cut and dry there or did the "Cogent" case get settled. So many on here told us it was "Cogent it got old.
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    vandyfox wrote: »
    [Very helpful report:]

Title: Ode to STO

Post Body: My game crashes, alot alot alot! How many times now, I forgot forgot forgot! It crashes to desktop everyday, it crashes in every possible way. It crashes in the morning and it crashes at night. It now crashes just out of spite! I try to be nice and behave, but I feel more and more a slave. You took my money and left me poor, and now I cant even shop at my favorite store! I had a smile a day, things had went my way. Now I waste time playing a game that always ends the same. CaaaaaaaRRRRaaaaaassssssssHHHH!!!!

Reproduction steps:

1. I logged into any of my characters.
    2. I am anywhere in the game.
    3. I moved, I stayed still, I play, I need a pill.
    4. I tried to have fun. What is that word? I have none.
    5. When I was fighting enemies here or there, or fixing a knot in my hair. CRASH!!!!

I am a fitch now cuz of you.

extremly nice song. pls make it music :)
  • Options
    spencerb785spencerb785 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have not been able play since last October and I get passed the Star Trek Online loading screen then all I get is a white screen I wait awhile than I clicked my mouse and it says GameClient.exe is not responding so I close the program. WHY DONT YOU PEOPLE AT CRYPTIC ACTUALLY FIX THE DAMN PROBLEM SO THAT I CAN PLAY AND YOU BETTER ADD ANYMORE UPDATES TO THE STORYLINE UNTILL YOU FIXED THE PROBLEM. IF YOU DO THAN I REQUEST THAT YOU PERSONNALLY GET ALL MY CHARCTERS CAUGHT UP AND I HAVE A THOUSAND ZEN AS COMPONSATION. So please fix the problem. Thank you and have a nice day.
  • Options
    younghyrum23younghyrum23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am attempting to rejoin the game world. I have been away for awhile, but when I downloaded the game, three diff attempts so far. I continue to crash after clicking the engage button. I am wondering if this is happening to anyone else. or if anyone can give me some guidance to fix the issue form my end.
  • Options
    psychickittypsychickitty Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I too am getting I think some form of UI crash.

As in I get these odd crashes if I have a UI up for a while.

I get them for example when I am at the ship selector UI screen looking at ships.

Or at a screen looking at character inventory...or their skills.

I sometimes get them at the start menu when I looking at configuration options fro the game....

I turned off two differing modes that where suggested in another post and don't seam to get as many crashes....

But this definitely seams like some form of issue...like maybe something isn't drawing right or something.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=