test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

T6 excelsior

valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
Do you think we will get one? Im in a fleet excelsior t5u but would be great to have a t6 version
Post edited by valkarie14 on

Comments

• cassamirothcassamiroth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Odds are... no. They may release new cruisers, with similar boff station distributions, but an actual T6 Excelsior, is unlikely, in my opinion. I'm certain others will ramble about the IP and consistency and whether they're even allowed to upgrade it... but I wouldn't count on it.

That said, those T6 command cruisers have elongated, thin, trailing hulls and have a forward aesthetic that isn't entirely dissimilar to the features of an excelsior... ignoring the quadrouple nacelles of course. Just a thought.
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    that garbage scowl is as antiquated as the constitution is at this point.

Well... at least you didn't say she should be hauled away as garbage. :)

BCW.
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These new Commands look like a 2410 Excelsior to me. Look at the neck and star drive sections. They are almost the similar in looks.

Speaking of the Excelsior, I'm in mine now. Doing a few patrols to Lv58. Mine it the original looks with glowing nacelles.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Iam not a expert with builds and ship power and such but after checking stowiki it looks to me that the Fleet Exelsior is not really worse then the Guardian (the Intel) cruiser from a Hp and Shield and amount of Boff/Consol Slots so when iam right isnt it useless to add another with the same stats?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    skollulfr wrote: »
    that garbage scowl is as antiquated as the constitution is at this point.

oh? and how is it the connie is garbage as korax predicted and yet the excelsior is still in active service and one of the more threatening warships in the entire federation? didn't realize a flying refuse heap can match some of the strongest ship classes around :P.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We'll never get a T6 Excelsior, just like we'll never get a T6 Constitution, Miranda, K'tinga, or T'varro, but we're likely get something, at some point, that resembles the Excelsior; its just unlikely we'll be able to use the Excelsior skins.

I know there are countless models useable for ST:Armada 2 and ST:Bridge Commander that are (by definition) 24th Century Retrofits, but they could be completely new designs for all anyone else knew. That's what Cryptic would need to do here.

In the meantime, you don't need a T6 Excelsior. I'm running five T5U's on my three toons, and they're all doing perfectly well. I have no intention to purchase T6. Don't get sucked in to the T6 is the next best thing opinion, cause it really isn't.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think logically (STO however operates completely random) the Excelsior Lakota-Type refit (DS9, quantum torpedoes and the like) should mark the final stage of the Excelsior operation lifespan and it would in STOs timeframe be akin to those T2 cruisers I forgot the name of, meaning they don't operate on the far out borders and unknown space anymore but probably still perform enough "home duties" and in case of defense they should still have their place in system defense fleets.

A T6, which means rivaling and surpassing not only the Oddyssey flagship but also all the new OP shinies would be weird. It's bad enough that the retrofit Excelsior dwarves the Ambassador and Galaxy as well as a good bunch of weird abandned 25th century kitbash ships.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd certainly like to have a T6 Excel, probably as a command capable ship but at this point I'm not really bothered either way.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well... at least you didn't say she should be hauled away as garbage. :)

BCW.

Nice one ;)
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a battleship, it's a war horse, a solid design for a battleship. It shouldn't be a ship of the line, but it should be solid
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a battleship, it's a war horse, a solid design for a battleship. It shouldn't be a ship of the line, but it should be solid

Well a T6 variant with command spec (for the fleet support powers) and a boff setup almost identical as the current it would be just that, a solid ship that's up to today's standards, however it wouldn't be the most powerful thing out there.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sure, the day I get a tier 5 (not 6) Miranda/Centaur/Shikar.

At least you can play your favorite ship at endgame and its pretty good still.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
  • valkarie14valkarie14 Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    T5u is great but it says something if a ship of many decades is still in use, the federation is not war like so they use all ships, maybe the keep old ships out of respect, if the ship can fire phasers and be upgraded why throw away a classic to build sometimes larger use more resources for the same type of ship and that is ship of exploration.

So what if it keeps up with an ody or galaxy at the end of the day new tech has been invented since the days of the Enterprise B and now have viable reason for the existence, the federations motto should be waste not what not
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valkarie14 wrote: »
    Do you think we will get one? Im in a fleet excelsior t5u but would be great to have a t6 version

I agree. Will it happen? Maybe.

There are things that the Devs seem to love, like that dang stupid Jem Bug which for unknown reasons just went T6 (and got to keep its old skin if one wished). On the bright side, they also seem to like the Excelsior as well so there's hope it will get the same treatment.

I rather like the niche of the old girl who just keeps going, sort of like the B52 in today's Air Force. Who would have thought a plane made in the 50s would be trucking 60 years later? (it's expected to continue another 30 years or so). In the world of aircraft, that's just insane but beyond cool.

Until a T6 version, she's still a fine ship that I was flying up to a week ago. With regret the Tactical Command Ship has replaced her on my main because it hit a sweet spot for me , i.e. a good looking ship that actually appeared to be a future style UFP starship (and also hit the perfect mix of non-Star Trek genre capabilities).

But I'm keeping my Excelsior in the Ship Yard along with my TMP and TOS connies (who I do Doffing with max Sector Speed gear).
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    its over a 100 years old.

i personally dont think it should have been a tier 5 ship let alone a tier 6.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • jalina1982jalina1982 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would buy one!

I just love the looks of it.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree. Will it happen? Maybe.

There are things that the Devs seem to love, like that dang stupid Jem Bug which for unknown reasons just went T6 (and got to keep its old skin if one wished). On the bright side, they also seem to like the Excelsior as well so there's hope it will get the same treatment.

I rather like the niche of the old girl who just keeps going, sort of like the B52 in today's Air Force. Who would have thought a plane made in the 50s would be trucking 60 years later? (it's expected to continue another 30 years or so). In the world of aircraft, that's just insane but beyond cool.

Until a T6 version, she's still a fine ship that I was flying up to a week ago. With regret the Tactical Command Ship has replaced her on my main because it hit a sweet spot for me , i.e. a good looking ship that actually appeared to be a future style UFP starship (and also hit the perfect mix of non-Star Trek genre capabilities).

But I'm keeping my Excelsior in the Ship Yard along with my TMP and TOS connies (who I do Doffing with max Sector Speed gear).

The thing is, people have no understanding of why ships and planes are retired in real life and try to claim that 100 years old ships are outdated in STO. There are two chief reasons IRL vessels get retired, and that is the cost of retrofitting/maintaining old systems to be up to date or the fatigue life of the actual hull.

Aluminum has a fatigue life. A plane cannot last forever under any circumstances because every time it goes up and down, the hull is stressed by the pressure changes of altitude. Eventually this will cause the metal to fail. The reason a plane like the B52 can last so long compared to an airliner is because simply that the B52 gets flown far less often. If those B52s were flown every day, landing and taking off 2-4 times a day, they would never survive for 80 years.

Steel on the other hand can be thick enough for the stresses it takes to have an infinite fatigue life. A ship hull can theoretically last forever. Internally, however, components and things become outdated and are expensive to replace or maintain to the point that it can end up cheaper to build a new ship entirely to make use of more modern technology.

The thing is, neither of these are issues in the Star Trek universe. Cost is irrelevant in a post-scarcity society, and fatigue life is also irrelevant because a ship can replace whatever needs to be replaced ad infinitum, if the hulls even have a fatigue life, because in space they definitely do not endure any stress from air pressure changes like an aircraft.

Naturally, most of us are interested in the external shape, and care nothing for the internal layout, because we never actually see that in game. Compare an older supercarrier like the Kittyhawk and compare it to the Gerald Ford. Visually, the hull and deck design is nearly identical, because those things are what works. However, the Kittyhawk ran on oil, predating the nuclear carriers. The ship could be upgraded indefinitely, even refitted to run on nuclear power if cost were not an issue. It launched all the same aircraft.

This is why building a new Excelsior with 2409+ internals and the same exterior that is completely and absolutely reasonable and realistic, as is a full retrofit of the original hulls. The Excelsior shape works. Whatever in universe reason that it is better than the Constitution and worse than the Sovereign is not cogent with the rest of the universe, outside of overall size. The fact is people just like to see new designs to represent some technological leap which is why they made them look different for the shows and the movies, but nothing is stopping them from upgrading the old ships to modern standards, absolutely nothing.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    [
    reyan01 wrote: »
    This.

I am very fond of the Excelsior class, but it should NOT be a ship-of-the-line anymore.

And, as noted, the Command Cruisers look like an evolution of the Excelsior class anyway.
    farmallm wrote: »
    These new Commands look like a 2410 Excelsior to me. Look at the neck and star drive sections. They are almost the similar in looks.

Speaking of the Excelsior, I'm in mine now. Doing a few patrols to Lv58. Mine it the original looks with glowing nacelles.

Yeah, the command cruisers look like an evolution of the Excelsior.

You make a pretty close match, albeit with 4 nacelles. :D

I don't think we should get an actual T6 Excelsior, but Gecko does like the ship, so anything is possible....
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited March 2015
    The thing is, people have no understanding of why ships and planes are retired in real life and try to claim that 100 years old ships are outdated in STO.

They're used to getting a new smart phone every year and think that everything should work like that.

Cryptic and this game feeds that with all the different ships one can have, far too many for a navy to support if things like you mentioned (and others like logistics) actually applied. They'd standardize on a few ship classes, and would never maintain foreign vessels due to logistics pure and simple.

That they can and do maintain such a vast array of ships is proof that design and shape don't matter at all. To say it does is just Cryptic eating their cake and having it too- to sell more ships.

Personally, I think they should sell capabilities and let us pick whatever skins we want to put on them.
    The Excelsior shape works. Whatever in universe reason that it is better than the Constitution and worse than the Sovereign is not cogent with the rest of the universe, outside of overall size.

Overall size seems completely unimportant both in shows (after TOS) and in the game. Crew size (which should define a great deal of things) also doesn't matter at all from what I can tell.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No Enterprise bloody A,B or C tier 6 until they address and fix the Enterprise D or let us reuse the skin on either the galaxy x or guardian.

The strongest enterprise bar the E which is debatable is the worst of the ships to bear the name Enterprise in this game.

Expect a tier 6 excelsior though as I believe a certain Dev has a great fondness for that ship model. Hence why the cannon fodder cruiser of the dominion wars is one of the top 2 cannon fed cruisers.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A tier 6 Excelsior class would be sweet, but unlikely. I love my tier 5u excelsior very much and it will do circles around some of these new ships coming out. Most people who complain about the Excelsior, don't fly one. Give the old girl some respect, because I do.

I really don't care what anyone else says about the ship. I treat her like a lady and she always brings me home.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I bought the Excelsior from the C-Store the day it came out, and my Main character had flown it for years, dominating everything I played (a little PvP back then, but after S5 P2W, PvE only). It's a great ship and I've loved playing it it. When the Fleet version became available, I upgraded not because I needed to, but because I was able to get the Fleet Modules for "cheap" off the Exchange. The ship was only even better. After DR, I got a free Upgrade Token from my Veteran Rewards, which I used on this ship. I flew it until I completed all four mastery traits. The ship seriously rules. There is no NEED to upgrade from the T5U Fleet Excel.

I've always like the Excel because it was the most "Enterprisy" of the ships in my eyes and heart. (Look, I know the Connie is outdated, a zillion years old in this game's timeline, like a 18th Century Sailing Man'o'War vs a 21st Cent. Nuclear Aircraft Carrier, but that doesn't stop me from loving my Hero Ship, just sayin').

I was totally content with the T5U Excel. Then the new Command Ships came out, and like Farmallm and others have pointed out, these new ships really are aesthetically the Next-Next Gen Enterprise. My Dad actually bought his first, and I worked with him in the tailor customizing the appearance, and I knew it was time to say good-bye to my dear Excel. I bought my own Command Ship (the bundle) and have it customized to look amazing!

The Engineering section, especially when viewed from the front, is quite like the Excel. Even though I fly the configuration of the Tac version of the ship, I use the rounded saucer and nacelles of the Sci, which I find more like the Connie/Ent-D. Basically I've customized mine to look like "The Enterprise" of the 25th Century. It's fantastic!

TL;DR: To answer the OP's question - Do I think there's going to be a T6 Excel? No. I really doubt it. Mostly because these new Command Ships really do own the Spirit of the Enterprise in their hulls. (And they're really fun/neat to fly!) :cool:

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited March 2015
    No Enterprise bloody A,B or C tier 6 until they address and fix the Enterprise D or let us reuse the skin on either the galaxy x or guardian.

The poor Galaxy.

The worst looking Enterprise ever, and it was never treated with respect. The trope Worf Effect could have been named the Enterprise D Effect except it wasn't as catchy.

I don't think it ever shined or won a battle. From it's very first outing and attempt to 'show what a Galaxy class can do!' (i.e. run away from Q) to the class being ineffective and thumped by the Dominion (with ships a fraction of its bloated size) in its first war time engagement- it was a loser outside its crew's technobabble.

IMO it suited the show, and its representation here in STO is a perfect match :)

Hmm, the Galaxy X on the other hand. That's a different matter. But not in STO.

But in any case, I think *all* canon ships should get the T6 treatment or be allowed as skins for T6 ships.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    I don't think we should get an actual T6 Excelsior, but Gecko does like the ship, so anything is possible....

T7 Excelsior GOGOGO!
    edited March 2015
    ships are replaced, but I suspect the design of the excel is what makes it solid.

It's easy to build, good sized, solid and not expensive compared to the Galaxies.

Galaxies were still serving as flagships in 2409 (vector storyline anyone?)

Galaxies and Excels take quite a pounding as did the Connies. The connies though had a ship design that was outdated. The Excel's design and so is the Galaxy is getting outdated in terms of warp fields. However, they're still able to do other duties just as well as the Sovereign/Intrepid.
    edited March 2015
    The poor Galaxy.

The worst looking Enterprise ever, and it was never treated with respect. The trope Worf Effect could have been named the Enterprise D Effect except it wasn't as catchy.

I don't think it ever shined or won a battle. From it's very first outing and attempt to 'show what a Galaxy class can do!' (i.e. run away from Q) to the class being ineffective and thumped by the Dominion (with ships a fraction of its bloated size) in its first war time engagement- it was a loser outside its crew's technobabble.

IMO it suited the show, and its representation here in STO is a perfect match :)

Hmm, the Galaxy X on the other hand. That's a different matter. But not in STO.

But in any case, I think *all* canon ships should get the T6 treatment or be allowed as skins for T6 ships.

Once the Galaxy was no longer the Hero ship in TNG and held back by plot device.,and the need to make dramitc viewing by putting the crew in danger, i'd suggest you rewatch DS9 again from season 5 onwards, Not a single Galaxy is killed on screen and other than the Defiant is the only other Federation starship to actually put up a fight against the Dominion and seen on screen to make kills. And the only ship to take multiple hits from the Cardie OWP and not go boom. Can't say the same for Excelsiors, Akiras, Mirandas, D'Deriidex or Vorcha's and Bop's

It was as held back as Kirks Ent was when faced by the never before met alien of the week, Kirk didn't win many ship to ship battles he either outfoxed them, Slept with them or punched them in the face with his fist.
    Problem with peoples view of the Galaxy is that DS9 with its more aggressvie gun-hu solve everything with a phaser approach followed it. 2 very different shows preaching opposite messages.
    1. Peace through diplomacy TNG.
    2. We come in peace shoot to kill. DS9
    Here's where the misconception of the Galaxy's abilities lies, 1 was a action show the other was about humanity rising above the need to club everything with a stick

If the Galaxy had appeared in DS9 season 5 onwards or if the Defiant had of been a Galaxy and the Galaxy been any other ship in TNG we'd have a very different ship appearing in this game then we have now.

edited March 2015
    ..., i'd suggest you rewatch DS9 again from season 5 onwards, ...,

Not a fan of DS9. To me it made Star Trek into Star Wars with small ships (even including runabouts) either kicking the backside of much larger vessels or holding their own. Most ships became popcorn as it become more 'how many ships can we fit on the screen' than anything resembling was Star Trek was.

So no, not going back to watch it.

It was as held back as Kirks Ent was when faced by the never before met alien of the week

For all that, TOS Enterprise still did rather will (leaving out the movies).
    1. It beat the Rolumans in Balance of Terror until it was almost 'out-witted', and was still tough enough to take that and win.
    2. In Arena it withstood the Gorn attack and drove it to flight.
    3. 3. Errand of Mercy saw it easily destroy a Klingon ship after taking surprise fire.
    4. Doomsday Machine saw the ship take repeat beatings by a weapon capable of craving up entire worlds for dinner proving its durability
    5. Elaan of Troyius saw a Impulse power only Enterprise withstand multiple attacks before badly damaging its opponent and driving it away

Now TOS didn't have many ship battles to be honest. It wasn't a war series after all. But in those it did, the Enterprise never came across as a wimp like the 'D' did constantly.
    edited March 2015
    Not a fan of DS9. To me it made Star Trek into Star Wars with small ships (even including runabouts) either kicking the backside of much larger vessels or holding their own. Most ships became popcorn as it become more 'how many ships can we fit on the screen' than anything resembling was Star Trek was.

So no, not going back to watch it.

For all that, TOS Enterprise still did rather will (leaving out the movies).
    1. It beat the Rolumans in Balance of Terror until it was almost 'out-witted', and was still tough enough to take that and win.
    2. In Arena it withstood the Gorn attack and drove it to flight.
    3. 3. Errand of Mercy saw it easily destroy a Klingon ship after taking surprise fire.
    4. Doomsday Machine saw the ship take repeat beatings by a weapon capable of craving up entire worlds for dinner proving its durability
    5. Elaan of Troyius saw a Impulse power only Enterprise withstand multiple attacks before badly damaging its opponent and driving it away

Now TOS didn't have many ship battles to be honest. It wasn't a war series after all. But in those it did, the Enterprise never came across as a wimp like the 'D' did constantly.

Galaxy in Tinman took a sneek attack from the Romulans and only took shield damage.
    Same episode Tinman propells the Ent-D away the same shockwave destroys the Romulan if i recall.
    Galaxy in The Wounded disabled a Galor with 1 shot
    Picard in Ensign Ro squares off against 2 Galors no shots fired but it appeared he thought he'd win

Just a couple but again as you mentioned about TOS, TNG wasn't a action show either, most of the episodes put the characters trying to over come obstacles with thought and reason.
    TNG was probably the most true show to the Star Trek ideals than even the TOS.
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Galaxy in Tinman took a sneek attack from the Romulans and only took shield damage.
    Same episode Tinman propells the Ent-D away the same shockwave destroys the Romulan if i recall.
    Galaxy in The Wounded disabled a Galor with 1 shot
    Picard in Ensign Ro squares off against 2 Galors no shots fired but it appeared he thought he'd win

Just a couple but again as you mentioned about TOS, TNG wasn't a action show either, most of the episodes put the characters trying to over come obstacles with thought and reason.
    TNG was probably the most true show to the Star Trek ideals than even the TOS.

The romulans in Tinman were substantially closer to Tinman than the Enterpreise was. They had also damaged their ships to get there first. And do I really have to go to youtube for the compilation showing how many times Tasha and Worf counting down the percentage of shields until they failed?
    edited March 2015
    The romulans in Tinman were substantially closer to Tinman than the Enterpreise was. They had also damaged their ships to get there first. And do I really have to go to youtube for the compilation showing how many times Tasha and Worf counting down the percentage of shields until they failed?

plot armour, it was dumb