test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are Phasers weak?

antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
Since I have played the game for 2 years, the biggest "immersive" dissapointment is phaser weapon type. Why is it that phaser weapons,..one of the most iconic weapons in the star trek universe, reduced to 3rd hand damage types? I hate the fact that I have to run anti-proton villain weapons to get great dps on a fed ship!! This kills the immersive feeling I'm suppose to get when playing the game. I understand in pvp their suppose to be good, but I dont pvp. Why did criptic do this? I haven't seen much complaint about this on forums, but people talk about it in chat all the time. I wish I could take a vote to see how many people would want to change this. What gives Criptic?.. Make Phasers iconic again!!
Post edited by antiquesroadshow on

Comments

• mikegammon1958mikegammon1958 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know right if i have a fed ship i want phasers on it.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just use phasers then. I know where you're comming from - I've never used anything but phasers on every single Federation ship I own and I've been doing more than fine.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • disposeableh3r0disposeableh3r0 Member Posts: 1,927 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why do you think AP is stronger?
    As a time traveller, Am I supposed to pack underwear or underwhen?

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abraham Lincoln

Occidere populo et effercio confractus
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Assuming the op has a high crit chance on his ship, just use phasers with the highest crit damage that you can get. [Crtd]x3 should be enough for PVE. Save up your credits and get some. Buy MK II purple versions with [Crtd]x3 on the exchange and make omega upgrades. Use a rare level quality boost (3 mil each) and you can upgrade those MK II phasers to MK VIII with a single omega upgrade, and it will have a good chance of getting them to epic quality. That's what I did. Also get the counter command universal console and torpedo for a set bonus that boosts phaser damage like crazy.
  • antiquesroadshowantiquesroadshow Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    everyone knows antiprotons are stronger
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,872 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nothing is *weak* really...it's just the proc kinda sucks because in PvE most mobs recover from the proc almost in a blink of a eye...AP gives you a Crit damage boost and everyone tries to max out their crit/severity to do max DPS.

The only time the Phaser proc adds any damage is when it procs shields...and is a 25% chance to happen on a 2.5% chance to proc...not to mention like I said npc's will recover almost instantly in most cases.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited March 2015
    the proc doesn't "kinda" suck. It really does suck.
    edited March 2015
    everyone knows antiprotons are stronger

But why? What mechanic do they have that makes them better?

• farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My Fed ships all use Phasers. I have no issues using them. Just keep on firing and they will eat your target up in time.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,872 Arc User
    edited March 2015

They don't have a proc...they have a flat crit bonus instead of a proc and everyone who tries to do high dps stacks crit
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited March 2015
    lianthelia wrote: »
    They don't have a proc...they have a flat crit bonus instead of a proc and everyone who tries to do high dps stacks crit

True but only if you use original recipe AP.

And if you're min maxing like that then sacrifices, like looks, are necessary.

• paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    if you only account for weapons, phaser arent at par with the Antiproton.

However, if you account for optimal build/ships/pilots, etc., phasers are probably one of the most powerful weapons out there due to the Nadeon Bomb Console.
  • prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Most weapons have a "proc", IOW a chance, typically 2.5% per shot of applying some special effect. In Phaser's case, it disables a random subsystem of the enemy ship for a short while. This isn't that useful, as NPC ships recover from this so fast.

Antiproton is an exception in that it doesn't have a proc. It's special bonus is an extra rarity bonus, like crit chance, crit damage, accuracy etc. Especially an extra 20% crit damage bonus is wildly more useful than the proc from a phaser, as with just that bonus, you'll be doing 170% damage with each critical hit, instead of 150%. Even if it's something else than the crit damage bonus, it's always there, and doesn't need luck to work, unlike the proc on a phaser.
  • section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here is the truth.....

Every so often Cryptic nerfs something so that you have to have the latest shiny DPS monster weapon. They do not seek to have a balance of weaponry. With each foreign weapon of the enemy we get overwhelmed with a new lockbox. Plain and simple it is a sheer moneygrab without any thought to those of us who actually prefer to play iconic Federation or iconic Empire captains.

Proof: What ever happened to buying or acquiring weaponry from Section 31? Why haven't we even heard a peep from Drake?

The failure on storylining the intentions of the Federation and the Empire is disastrous. The results we captains are not privy to Starfleet Intelligence yet we are expected to go out and fight the flavored enemy of the day without any background as to why we are at war with them.

I have never understood why these people who run this game decide that the Federation weaponry is so pathetic in comparison to every other type of weaponry. Phasers were good for Kirk, Picard, and Janeway so why do they suck so bad in-game? Why can't we simply balance the weaponry?

There needs to be a scale of weaponry

Phasers
    Disruptors
    Antiproton
    Chroniton/Temporal
    Plasma
    Tetryon
    Polaron
    Protonic
    Kinetic
    Exotic

It is my position that when a new power comes available that we should be able to go to our respective Intelligence Agencies and acquire a countermeasure. In the very least we need to be able to craft the latest addition to our current weapons.

Crafting at level 60 needs to allow us to select the area of expertise and extend it up to 4X the current power.

Acc
    Crit D
    Crit H
    Exotic Dmg
    Kinetic Dmg
    How about this [Shield Penetration 20%] up to a total of 80% for HYT skills

No one weapon type should be more powerful than any other it should be up to the captain to decide what weapon type best fits the players gaming style.
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I thought the same until i realized how much the 2pc undine weapon set boosts phasers. Its a very large boost the compares to the AP set bonus with the core/omni set and does not lock you into a TRIBBLE core. Also the disable a subsystem is not useless as many times i see it proc, mostly on boss fights.
  • isvarnaisvarna Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Because stacking critD is good and antiproton complements that. Also it's the only weapon type bonus that's a passive effect and not a proc (unless you think scoring a critical hit counts as a proc).
    ↓ ↓ This is why we can't have nice things. ↓ ↓
    edited March 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    if you only account for weapons, phaser arent at par with the Antiproton.

However, if you account for optimal build/ships/pilots, etc., phasers are probably one of the most powerful weapons out there due to the Nadeon Bomb Console.

And from what I've seen, this discussion has been about the weapons. If a single console gives a whole class of weapons some supposed uber status, it's the console and not the weapons that's powerful.
    edited March 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    To slightly correct this poster... the Antiproton addon is not an "extra rarity bonus", as that implies it's variable. It's a 'hidden' extra CrtD. So an Antiproton weapon with CrtDx2 is equivalent to any other weapon with CrtDx3 (minus the other weapon's proc).

It's possible, via upgrades, to get CrtDx4. On AP weapons, this is effectively CrtDx5.

Oh, neat. Thanks for the correction. I'm not an antiproton enthusiast myself, but my fleet seems to have several, and my knowledge is based on what I've overheard.
    edited March 2015
    isvarna wrote: »
    Because stacking critD is good and antiproton complements that. Also it's the only weapon type bonus that's a passive effect and not a proc (unless you think scoring a critical hit counts as a proc).

As I said this only accounts for original AP and critical are almost a proc, they are just a proc you can buff.

And like I said minmaxing requires sacrafice.

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As I said this only accounts for original AP and critical are almost a proc, they are just a proc you can buff.

And like I said minmaxing requires sacrafice.

The critical severity is a constant effect. 2.5% procs are a chance to do "x" mechanic. A constant effect will always out perform a chance effect.

Also, most procs can be buffed with captain skills. Like the flow capacitor skill increases the shield damage of Tetryon weapons and the power drain of Polarons. However, a flat bonus will still out perform any buffs in PvE because our enemies are stupid HP bags. Which makes AP and Disruptors weapons of choice.

I've had 30k phaser builds, others have pushed much higher. But AP will always out damage any other type of weapon.

If looks are a factor for examining weapons, the art subforum is elsewhere. It has nothing to do with min/maxing.
  • whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Phaser procs were pretty good, untill they nerfed the proc effects to just one subsystem disable over a period of time. Targets now have an immunituy after the first proc disable. I understand the reasoning, but the majority of other energy types do not have an immunity built in, so thier procs are effective every time the proc goes off.

I really wish they would build a minute proc bonus ( like .5 percent acc for 5 seconds or something) to offset the immunity.
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 748 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The inspiration for the phaser proc was how, in the series, Starfleet captains were prone to using phasers to cripple another vessel's ability to fight. "Target their weapon's array", "Take out their engines"... those were pretty common.

Basically, phasers were highly accurate weapons and could disable another vessel's subsystems through pin-point targeting. To express that high accuracy, the Devs gave phasers their current proc.

The innate subsystem targeting of science ship was possibly also built off that same idea (science ships were Fed-only back at the beginning) - non-coincidentally, those innate powers are also pretty lame.

In hindsight, a +10% to accuracy boost (mirroring the critD boost AP gets) would've possibly been more appropriate than something oh-so-random and ineffective.
    edited March 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    The critical severity is a constant effect. 2.5% procs are a chance to do "x" mechanic. A constant effect will always out perform a chance effect.

Also, most procs can be buffed with captain skills. Like the flow capacitor skill increases the shield damage of Tetryon weapons and the power drain of Polarons. However, a flat bonus will still out perform any buffs in PvE because our enemies are stupid HP bags. Which makes AP and Disruptors weapons of choice.

I've had 30k phaser builds, others have pushed much higher. But AP will always out damage any other type of weapon.

If looks are a factor for examining weapons, the art subforum is elsewhere. It has nothing to do with min/maxing.

Ok my point got lost somewhere.

If you want canon weapons then get canon weapons.

If you want max deeps, then your stuck with whatever does max deeps. Asking for more deeps on your favorite piece of canon is the same as asking for x ship to be uber cause in x series or x episode it did uber things.

• gamer940gamer940 Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You must not forget that "not the 'optimal' thing to use" is not the same thing as "ZOMG! That is suxxorz!"
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    gamer940 wrote: »
    You must not forget that "not the 'optimal' thing to use" is not the same thing as "ZOMG! That is suxxorz!"

^ This. I'm partial to the phased biomatter weapons. With disruptors and tetryons also being favorites. However my highest DPS build, which the devs have built the game around, is antiproton.
    edited March 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    ^ This. I'm partial to the phased biomatter weapons. With disruptors and tetryons also being favorites. However my highest DPS build, which the devs have built the game around, is antiproton.

I actually mix my AP weapons on my AP builds.

I also feel fluidic ap and elachi disruptor may be superior

• paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prolegap wrote: »
    And from what I've seen, this discussion has been about the weapons. If a single console gives a whole class of weapons some supposed uber status, it's the console and not the weapons that's powerful.

If you take account both are Dual beam bank with 5 tac consoles and using crtdx3pen mk 14 epics. On that scenario, The only advantage of AP is 20% critd which is around 5% damage advantage over a standard phaser. That means a phased Biomatter Phaser damage difference is smaller but its pretty expensive to bring the mod to critdx3pen.

The difference between Phaser and Antiproton is small and would only make a lot of difference if you are competing for top DPS.

So if the average player is doing 10k DPS on Antiproton, shedding 500 DPS for phasers to look authentic.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personally i wish they would roll back the phaser proc to the old days, where it was actually useful and would reliably disable subsystems, including shields.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Phasers are fine. AP weapons simply have an extra innate CrtD modifier that boosts already high Crit damage even higher.

You can still get Phasers with [CrtD]x3. You can still have the same Crit rates. Your damage will just be slightly lower. Phasers aren't underpowered in any way. You just won't be mix/max'ing your DPS.

Really, you can fly just about any ship with any build and succeed in PvE. It's just a matter of how long it will take. And it's not like Phasers are going to take that much longer, probably a few seconds at best.
    Personally i wish they would roll back the phaser proc to the old days, where it was actually useful and would reliably disable subsystems, including shields.

AFAIK, that was never changed. Phasers can still disable shields.
    edited March 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Phasers are fine. AP weapons simply have an extra innate CrtD modifier that boosts already high Crit damage even higher.

You can still get Phasers with [CrtD]x3. You can still have the same Crit rates. Your damage will just be slightly lower. Phasers aren't underpowered in any way. You just won't be mix/max'ing your DPS.

Really, you can fly just about any ship with any build and succeed in PvE. It's just a matter of how long it will take. And it's not like Phasers are going to take that much longer, probably a few seconds at best.

AFAIK, that was never changed. Phasers can still disable shields.

That's just my point. Anti-Proton are the defacto No.1 weapon type. Why is that. Either buff phasers or nerf Anti-proton. Phasers should be on par with the No. 1 best weapon damage in game. As I said before, phasers are iconic, not anti-proton.