test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Additional Rewards Throughout Star Trek Online

Comments

• mrcaton1mrcaton1 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't farm patrols or STFs, so these changes are 100% positive for me.

- A bit of dil while leveling up alts or replaying story missions
    - Better rewards for STFs when I play one for fun
    - (VERY NICE) a way to get Ancient Power Cells from a solo daily

Thanks!

Agreed. I once played Tau Dewa patrols for rom marks, but I've never done any DR patrols beyond the campaign, so I'm happy with these changes as well, particularly the story dil and especially the ancient power cells on Kobali Prime. That will give me a reason to return to that adventure zone.

Thanks
  • forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can already hear the cries of 'nerf' over this, but to me it seems a positive set of changes to encourage people to experience the whole game and not just the 3 things that 'pay the most'.

Does the 'first time reward' start new for all missions (even ones done in the past) or does it only apply to new missions you have never run prior to these changes?
  • esquire1980esquire1980 Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    More time gates. Now, that is exactly what this game needed. /sarcasm It's already "Daily online" for most everything that actually matters in this game, anyway.

How about letting people play the way they want to, grind or otherwise? Some of us did the pre-CU jedi grind back in SWG and just don't worry all that much about grind. Not once have I posted " the XP takes too long". But instead, it's a "herd the playerbase to this or that" mentality with time gates Meanwhile, keeping some weird idea that playtime actually equals rewards? Ok, so if your all that after metrics of log-ons, how much do I get if I just leave a toon logged on AFK? How about 480 dil for every 30 minutes? Your micro-managing playstyle right out or your MMO? Cryptic, ever wonder why the mighty bliz can get 10 mil sub paying customers while you have to go F2P with 30 dollar, each, pixels while also adding dil as a time gated actual currency? It's not that their game is that great, they just manage it better than anyone else while allowing for at least, some freedom of playstyle.

These guys couldn't manage an ant fight.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    Despite the fact that it already took far too long to get exp, after today's patch I will be able to get, at most, about half the exp I could before in the same amount of time. It is literally that simple.

Well its going to take a lot longer now to get a spec point

currently its 1200 xp to complet a infected advanced....that doesn't fail that is :P

lets say it gets buffed to 3k

That's 53 STFs to get 1 spec point approx. 10 minutes each avg team

lets say you do 6 stfs a night that's 18k xp Dofing 4k ish to 8k depending lets settle on 6k

lore and library missions 1.6k that's 25k xp per day 2 hours of play time

that's 1 spec point per week

currently before the nerf you could get 1 spec point per 2 hours of patrol grinding but most people could stand only 2 hours of this per day which was my limit

basically now with the nerf its going to take a year to level out a spec tree like intel with a little pilot

That's right a year 52 weeks people

Enjoy..............
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    changes planned in the pipeline. We will also be monitoring playtimes, participation and success rates of game content and continue to adjust rewards as needed.

Read: Don't be TOO successful, guys, otherwise we'll nerf you again like we just did to Argala, The ground STFs and like we did to Doffing a few months ago.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Adventure/Battle Zones:
    • All Adventure Zone and Battle Zone missions award Skill Points and Expertise for completion.
    • We added Elite Marks (Borg Neural Processors, Ancient Power Cells, Voth Cybernetic Implants, and Isomorphic Injections) to Adventure/Battle Zones. We wanted to respond to feedback that there were not enough places to earn elite marks outside of PvE Queues:
    • Borg Neural Processors have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Defera Invasion Zone: Modus Operandi, Getting to the Bottom of Things, Uninvited Guests, Counter Offensive
    • Ancient Power Cells have been added as a once per day reward to the following missions on the Kobali Prime Adventure Zone: At the Gates, The Last Stand
    • Note that you can already earn Voth Cybernetic Implants by defeating a V-Rex on the Voth Ground Battle Zone and the Undine Isomorphic Injections from defeating the Planet Killer in the Undine Space Battlezone in the Solanae Dyson Sphere.

Charles Gray
    Lead Content Designer
    Star Trek Online

Thanks for that I have only been playing the q'd content because I needed to for the power cells etc . Now I never have to go near those horrible q's again lol. I do not like the trolls that like to populate them just to make everyones lives miserable.

good riddance failtrolls!
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It seems they actually want to force everyone to play the game one specific way.
    The problem is, they can't really take away the choice from a player. "Either you play the game like we want you to or you don't play at all" The answer is easy... just don't play.

Playing as Intended. Just give them your login info so they can play for you, since clearly there's a way that's "expected".
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Missions:
    • Missions found in the episode journal will reward Dilithium for both first time play (a large bonus amount) and replay (a smaller amount).
    • Skill Point and Expertise rewards for mission replay have been increased (by an additional 25% in most cases).
    • First-play rewards for repeatable Delta Rising missions have been improved from Mk XIII Rare rewards to Mk XIII Very Rare rewards. Replay rewards for those missions remain as Mk XII Rare rewards.

Cool, dill for content. Might have to find a DR free alt to see if there is any thing super sweet in those sweet very rare rewards now.
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Despite the fact that it already took far too long to get exp, after today's patch I will be able to get, at most, about half the exp I could before in the same amount of time. It is literally that simple.

by doing argala.
    by doing other stuff you'll be able to get more XP then before, much more rewards and much more dilithium and you won't be an Argala farmer that literally doesn't do anything else in game because he is somehow compelled to grind argala every day.
    Why you need all those spec points anyway? for more Argala? wtf is wrong here.

Glad they have made first step in removing biggest series of mistakes they have done to game in DR.
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    by doing argala.
    by doing other stuff you'll be able to get more XP then before, much more rewards and much more dilithium

No, by doing other stuff I'll be able to get half of what I could. By continuing to do argala I can get about a 12th. Also, dil? Really? I can still only refine 8k a day, more ore doesn't help much.

Look, I don't want to have to do argala over and over, what I want is to get exp at anything approaching a reasonable rate. If we really were getting a real boost to exp everywhere else so that I could still get it as fast as I could before I'd be agreeing that this is a buff, but we aren't, so I'm not.
    edited February 2015
    No, by doing other stuff I'll be able to get half of what I could. By continuing to do argala I can get about a 12th. Also, dil? Really? I can still only refine 8k a day, more ore doesn't help much.

Look, I don't want to have to do argala over and over, what I want is to get exp at anything approaching a reasonable rate. If we really were getting a real boost to exp everywhere else so that I could still get it as fast as I could before I'd be agreeing that this is a buff, but we aren't, so I'm not.
    you still didnt answer me. why do you need XP for?
    edited February 2015
    Why do I need to hit the level cap? Why do I need to get better gear? Why do I need to get new ships? It's called wanting the shiny toys to play with. This is a game, remember?
  • realisticaltyrealisticalty Member Posts: 851 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    (no mention of Duty Officer Assignment rewards in the original post?)
    edited February 2015
    Why do I need to hit the level cap? Why do I need to get better gear? Why do I need to get new ships? It's called wanting the shiny toys to play with. This is a game, remember?
    and you still didnt answer me. why do you need more XP?
    this is not a rhetorical question.
    ISA? CCA? DRSE? NTTE? PvP?
    what for?

and don't mix gear and ships with specialization XP. They have nothing in common.
    edited February 2015
    and you still didnt answer me. why do you need more XP?
    this is not a rhetorical question.
    ISA? CCA? DRSE? NTTE? PvP?
    what for?

and don't mix gear and ships with specialization XP. They have nothing in common.

Because I don't want to have to wait 6 months to play with the toys. That's it, that's the answer, I want to play with the toys in this game and I don't want to have to work 6 months to do so. I repeat, this is a game.

Gear and ships are the same as exp in the sense that they are new things to play with, that's all.
    edited February 2015
    Because I don't want to have to wait 6 months to play with the toys. That's it, that's the answer, I want to play with the toys in this game and I don't want to have to work 6 months to do so. I repeat, this is a game.

Gear and ships are the same as exp in the sense that they are new things to play with, that's all.

not having full specialization doesn't hinder you in any way to "play with toys"
    Again, XP and gear&ships completely different and unrelated stuff.

and one more time. farming Argala is not a game. it's farming.
    How many people install STO to farm Argala?
    edited February 2015
    You know, you're clearly not getting it and I don't care enough to argue with you. You apparently think doubling the time it takes to max out your spec trees is a good thing, and I guess that's your choice. I disagree. End of story.
  • huntorhuntor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    [*]First-play rewards for repeatable Delta Rising missions have been improved from Mk XIII Rare rewards to Mk XIII Very Rare rewards. Replay rewards for those missions remain as Mk XII Rare rewards.

I hope those as been reset if we already played it before cuz I want a Very rare MK XIII Vaadwaur cluster torpedo :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There are several abilities in the specializations that amount to having an extra console. Rock and roll for example is as effective as the special Dyson ship shielding - a lifesaver. All the flanking damage stuff is good for 1 or 2 consoles. Pedal to the metal another. It adds up to a huge difference.

However, I think with around 35 points spent wisely you're good to go. This is achievable reasonably. I have this for 4 characters with minimal argala though with a lot of doffing. Maxing out on many characters is quite a schlog.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

currently its 1200 xp to complet a infected advanced....that doesn't fail that is :P

lets say you do 6 stfs a night that's 18k xp Dofing 4k ish to 8k depending lets settle on 6k

currently before the nerf you could get 1 spec point per 2 hours of patrol grinding but most people could stand only 2 hours of this per day which was my limit

basically now with the nerf its going to take a year to level out a spec tree like intel with a little pilot

Enjoy..............

But there are other upsides / downsides to this as well .

Such as ... :

- Cryptic won't have to pump out a Spec Tree every 4-5 months .
    Less work for them = two thumbs up ! :)

- On the less then bright side ... -- their current business model relies on putting out a bunch of ship groups (Intel ships , Command ships) and then weave into their release some "awesome powers" in a new Spec Tree to make them even more appealing (on a longer term basis) .

As things stand , they have either given up on pushing out a new Spec Tree with every new ship group , or ... they seriously believe that you the player are going to drop whatever Spec Tree you're working on to get with the new Spec Tree every 4-5 months ... , or ... they think that with their current plan you will be able to finish a Spec Tree within 4-5 months . :eek:

... and the players love it ...
    edited February 2015
    Your exchange of words in your post reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

me - *Why do you grind Argala*

random guy - *You don't* have to answer that question!*

him - : *I'll answer the question!*
    - You want answers?

me - *I want the truth*
    him - : *You want answers?*
    me - : *I want to know why you need XP for !*
    him - *You can't handle the truth!*
    [pauses]
    him- : Son, we live in a world that has grind, and that grind has to be guarded by men with will to grind.
    Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Plasmanugget? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for other PvE content, and you curse the Argala.
    You have that luxury.
    You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That death of playing the actual content, while tragic, probably saved the XP grind.
    And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves specialization grind. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in Argala, you need me in Argala.
    We use words like farming, XP, progression. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending grind. You use them as a punchline.
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very grind that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a ship, and grind Argala.
    Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

- : What do you need XP for?
    - : I want the toys and...
    -: *what for? for more grinding?*
    -: *You're ******n right I do!*

even though its a bit reductio ad absurdum and a bit unrelated, it still ius funny, and nothing personal btw.
  • karlbarbkarlbarb Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hi folks,

If we could take a step back from the Argala QQ for just a moment, and I don't know if this may have been answered already, but for those of us (read: most of us) who have done all these story missions before, will we get the first time dilithium rewards now, or the returning one?
    edited February 2015
    You missed the point even more than I thought you did, I'm impressed.

You're really not getting it, I don't want to grind, that's my entire point! It took too long to get exp before the patch, and now it takes even longer, that means MORE grinding, not less.

Apparently I do care enough to argue with you. I'm weak, sue me.
    edited February 2015
    You missed the point even more than I thought you did, I'm impressed.

You're really not getting it, I don't want to grind, that's my entire point! It took too long to get exp before the patch, and now it takes even longer, that means MORE grinding, not less.

Apparently I do care enough to argue with you. I'm weak, sue me.

No, because you perceived me as an enemy just because I asked you "what do you need XP for" you went further and further away from my point.

See, i don't grind Argala, did it few times, it makes me sick. I don't repeat any content and i have my 2 toons nicely filled in intel and few points in command.

The POINT: before- XP rewards for EVERYTHING except Patrol Grinds less- after patch more
    before - XP rewards for Argala, Gerren more- after less

For me it's a good thing, for overally quality of play and population in queues even more.
    25% more for missions, XP for battlezones, great boost to PvE content.
    Even if you are compelled to get all XP you can now do it without need to grind argala over and over and over.
    how is that worse then yesterday?
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    karlbarb wrote: »
    Hi folks,

If we could take a step back from the Argala QQ for just a moment, and I don't know if this may have been answered already, but for those of us (read: most of us) who have done all these story missions before, will we get the first time dilithium rewards now, or the returning one?

of course not.

sorry you did those mission 5 years ago.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    you still didnt answer me. why do you need XP for?

i dont enjoy the journey to max level as much as i enjoy being at max level. i suppose i am a completionist, particularly on my main toon. i feel the need to have every accolade achieved, every rep finished, every rep set in the bank, every outfit unlocked, every doff-chain complete, every piece of gear or weapon i use upgraded to max, the fleets complete, and so on. i take great joy in ticking every one of these type of things off the list. once that is done then i feel like i can go about doing random stuff in the game.

what i dont enjoy is an open-ended slog that has been engineered to intentionally make it impossible for me to outpace the treadmill and reach my goal. its very demoralising. i cant see myself ever being happy to simply bebop around aimlessly while i still have a hundred or more spec traits to unlock.
  • mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As someone who didn't regularly grind Argala or Gerran beyond the odd repeat run these changes on the whole sound fairly postivie to me so thanks very much.

Now only things that would really help beyond this are:

1) Way to earn very rare crafting materials without playing advanced content
    2) Something that limits/prevents underpowered pugs in advanced/elite maps (maybe a minimum team dps count - so wouldn't lock out all low dps players but gives the team a chance? I know low dps isn't always a mission fail as I managed to parse an ISA yesterday where my Sci took 45% (~9k) of the teams dps output in a 30 minute run and still completed the run after failing the optional - thank you Grav Wells) but it is frustrating when you pick up a full team that is vastly underpowered to the point of being less use than hanger pets! So something that balanced the team might help and hopefully might help the less well equipped players to get the rewards they need to get appropriately equipped and sufficiently upgraded gear (might also encourage a few people back off private only matches to pick up the odd pug).
    3) Buff to foundry rewards and XP to make them more worthwhile (and related to mission length) - I know there's the age old argument about whether or not this is content but I do like the premise its just the missions don't seem to have ever had enough of a time to reward ratio to make it worthwhile when up against the rep rewards and the likes.
    edited February 2015
    The total amount of exp you will be able to get, if you play in the most efficient manner possible, will be about half of what you could yesterday. That's how it's worse, no matter what I want from the spec trees, even if it's just one point, it will take twice as long.

Hey, I'm happy about the boosts to exp elsewhere, but it's not enough to match what we could get before. Overall, it's a nerf.

Fine, you don't grind argala, so for you then sure this is a good thing. And if the boosts matched what argala was giving, it'd be a good thing for me too. But I don't care where I grind, I care about how long it takes.

And seriously, I told you twice what I wanted the exp for but you kept going on about specific content. That's not the point, I want the spec abilities specifically, to use in content all over the game. I want to do a barrel roll, or call in a battleship without having to go below 50% hull (as two examples). Where I do so is besides the point.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mattaukett wrote: »
    1) Way to earn very rare crafting materials without playing advanced content

but then we wouldn't have to run the mostly awful STFs at all.

I was done with all of them 1-5 years ago. If it wasn't for the crafting materials I wouldn't do any of them
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

Enjoy..............

Ah yes, another one of Cryptic's Not-a-nerf nerfs. They've manipulated the situation with the skill of a Romulan.
This discussion has been closed.