What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

what drives you to login in still?

Comments

• Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I actually uninstalled the game about a month ago, I check in to see what updates are coming down and if/any announcements.
    -Makbure
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The Foundry editor, at the moment.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I log on because a number of people who didn't make the game fun have uninstalled it and no longer play.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    theforefathertheforefather Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What drives me to log in is the fact that the story is still engaging and I am familiar with the characters from watching the shows for the majority of my life. I can mind meld with Tuvok, fight alongside Worf, save the Enterprise from klingons who shot back in time, slaughter the borg, and when I am really bored I can spend credits to try new weapons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    I log on because a number of people who didn't make the game fun have uninstalled it and no longer play.

At least you can log on and to go starship bridge and RP by yourself now, yeah?
    -Makbure
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    makbure wrote: »
    At least you can log on and to go starship bridge and RP by yourself now, yeah?
    I interpreted it to say that he can log on now and RP in public. Or ERP in public, perhaps. He was too vague, so ERP is as good a guess as any.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I log in because I'm part of an awesome fleet, and I have fun talking and doing stuff with them. I gave up on star trek a long time ago, before I found my fleet, because the game was boring as dry paint, but with the right community, the game doesn't matter. Good or bad, it more fun with friends.
  • Options
    bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have an emotional attachment to the IP, and find the game endlessly fun, and totally free.
    Nothing "drives" me to log on. I do so for enjoyment. Sorry you and others are unable to find
    the game enjoyable. :o

BCW. :)
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What drives me to login still?

Nothing...i'm actually *not* logging into STO anymore. I already voted with my wallet long ago, now i'm not even hanging out anymore. I'm on the game sites for games i actively play right now, which for me is Wildstar, Guild Wars 2 and Marvel Heroes. Since i am still allowed to post i occasionally pop back in to offer some help.advice to people. But i've uninstalled the game to make room on my SSD for the 3 games i mentioned. I would have transferred the game to a detachable HDD like i normally do, but i just went ahead and uninstalled it (and SWTOR too) because i'm just not happy with the direction both STO and SWTOR have taken.

Whats funny is that WS isnt exactly the best game out right now either. But i'll just play it until i get bored with it, then go back to GW2. Cool story bro moment for you all: one day i was leveling a 34 Jedi Sentinel on SWTOR and i got so sick of playing it that i logged off the game and immediately logged onto EVE online...to mine ore in highsec. You kinda have to wonder about a game when you log off of it to do something else that is a lot more boring or play a game that isnt as good.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Interesting question op, think 3 reasons:

1) Well what keeps me logging are my in game friends, fleet mates which I know for up to 3 years by now. They are part of my day and I simply enjoy meting them in STO after work in the evening. I also have a RL fried I know for 25 years and who lives to far away to meet him in RL on a regular basis. When we play STO its almost as cool as back in school were we met to play team pve on old consoles.

2) As far as Cryptics contribution is concerned they managed with DR and the consequences to reduce my enjoyment from 100% down to 20%. Considering all the changes to game (the empty pve queue lists as major downside result) and especially recent quality issues they are on a sure track to do more. Curious what happens if they get it down to 0%. Either way they don’t seem to have as nearly an influence on my logging behaviour has the peeps motioned in 1). This clearly still works in their favour but surely isn’t something to be proud of. By itself STO turns more and more into a game I don’t enjoy and same counts for the peeps from 1) so if they annoy too much this card house could collapse easily.

3) After 3 years there are also some heavy time and money investments to consider which would make abandoning STO hard. But that’s the case with all hobbies and simply part of live and by no means even the slightest reason to stay in case 1) & 2) fail.

Hope that answers your question. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    The Dev's have never played.

Really? I myself know a few who long on and play. I've learned that Bort has a great sense of sarcastic humor (either that or our worst fears are true), that Zero's a great person to invite to your bridge, and that Tacofangs... well I don't know. He's on, though, and he seems to be mostly good. I think.

No but really, Bort has some great lines:

Borticus@Borticus: No, I don't fix bugs. None of us do.

Borticus@Borticus: They're features.

Borticus@Borticus: The problem with reviewing bug reports is that it takes away from the time I have alotted for making NEW and EXCITING bugs.
    Jisayne gin'Malvae@Borticus: We love lag.

Jisayne gin'Malvae@Borticus: We're paid by the Lag Lobby to keep it in the game.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Really? I myself know a few who long on and play. I've learned that Bort has a great sense of sarcastic humor (either that or our worst fears are true), that Zero's a great person to invite to your bridge, and that Tacofangs... well I don't know. He's on, though, and he seems to be mostly good. I think.

No but really, Bort has some great lines:

Oh boy it’s indeed some kind of humour. But it’s the kind of a humour I used to pull back in 5th grade after the 3rd failed math test in a row so not really funny.

Glad I came around at some point, have a cool job now where I’m actually good at and can simply feel pitty for people who still can’t get their suff straight… you know like me back in fifth grade.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I logged in for the anniversary event to create a new Deferi character using the kobali uniform and ship (since everything the kobali use was meant to be deferi). But other than "pet projects" like this I don't really play anymore because I have no really "drive" to play. I feel my characters cannot improve anymore without spending a lot of time grinding and "upgrading" stuff - in a game where I could improve my characters by playing the game (as in doing some missions or raids and find some valuable drops) I would definitely be around more often. But I am done shoving slider bars around and waiting for timegates.

Sometimes I want to fly around in a Star Trek ship for half an hour. And I would convert dil to zen for a T6 Galaxy or Nebula and play with it for some time but ultimately STO really doesn't offer much. It could be improved, though. Pretty simple: Make the missions you are supposed to grind hundreds of times be shuffled randomlyevery time you play and reintroduce worthwhile and rare drops that you cannot buy with money in boring shopping window item shops.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    berahtberaht Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    After not having logged in for any meaningful amount of time since Romulus, this is not an encouraging thread topic to see. It gives me the feeling that things in STO may have changed a bit but never really gotten "there" yet. :(
    6e5OTnq.png
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What drives me to log in still?

The thought some of the people who have posted in this thread get really PO'd I can still have fun in STO without spending money.

The thought that as long as someone somewhere insists on treating a not very good video game as some sort of life altering experience, I can poke fun at their sacred cows to entertain myself at their expense.

The thought that as long as some people are here moaning, they are not cluttering up the server.

The fact I enjoy the game rather than spend all my time locating and proclaiming about faults in it. Not blind to them. There are plenty to go around. But for God's sakes, STO is just a freakin' game. If some people are willing to let a video game ruin their whole lives, this indicates strongly the future of the Human race may be in serious jeopardy.

'Scuse me. Gotta run. Real Life has just knocked at the door and is calling me. As a bonus, on my way home this evening, I'll put a little extra chlorine in the gene pool for ya.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In between a forced delay in pressing buttons in space and changing every icon, I'd say they did a pretty damn good job of motivating me to stay on the fence and laugh at them.

Game has never felt this awkward, unresponsive and clunky.

There are just so many terrible stories to high light, I don't even know where to start?

Developers pulling out from the forum, the insane grind they added with DR, the continued content drought, the dead queues?

You can go on all day...

So I'd say in terms of incentive to play, it was terrible before DR came out.

After teh upgrading system, missing modifers and the dil grind there - for notepad copy-paste text, dil-now buttons and all that fun stuff, not least the recent boff fiasco and upcoming doff nerf, I don't even know what to call it as this point.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Nothing really. Now I've finished DR there isn't much else to do so I haven't logged in for several weeks now.

I still come by here though, the entertainment value alone makes it worthwhile.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I guess my answer is less and less, with shorter and shorter retention.

I went from STO having a family feel, we played together, chatted, had fun all night to absolute disgust. From log ins everyday to maybe once a week, from 4 hours to 5 minutes at a time. The downslide started sometimes after LoR, mostly brought on by the grind mechanics and massive power creep that killed any fun the game had.

I used to Doff religiously, still Doff but its a system thats just been ignored other than selling lockbox stuff for a long long time, oh wait, no they broke it, so not completely ignored.

Episodes are great for F2Pers, bad for player retention.. they aren't particularly challenging and once the story is done, its been done.

Reputation, crafting, timegates in STO are possibly the worst systems I've seen in an MMO. Its supposed to promote daily log ins and playing.. but it doesn't. Fact is, you play a 5 min mission a day, get your daily reward which is like 2 days of rep projects and you are done. Its not rewarding, you don't feel accomplished or satisfied, its just.. there and it only took you wadding through a timegate, not effort, to complete it. This is what happens when you create a bad system, then change it 3 times because of bad design, you end up with a pile of garbage.

The queues are terrible, normal I think they give to people in hospital in comas, they still complete it with optionals. Elite is boring HP sinks but really no different than advanced, the missions are so simplistic and badly designed you master them the first time through. The most fun mission are still the old STFs and maybe CE, goes to show you how bad at content design the current team is.

What really has me not playing anything at all anymore are the bugs. I tried this anniversary event, my trays change and jump around constantly, can't actually play anymore. The bugs from the event and massive rubber banding made me log off more than once. How so many people continue to keep tolerating this is.. unthinkable, other games don't have these issues.

I long for the says of S6 again, when a new game changing system is brought in, which gets a whole fleet to work together towards a common goal (Even though starbases were horribly designed as a system.) Back when running blockade was a challenge, combat was fun then..
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    mhirtescmhirtesc Member Posts: 581 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Me? I'm just logging in to refine my Dil from the last Bonus Dil event, doing KDF DOFF missions to rack up some more Contraband for the next one, and hoping a non-lame event weekend will come along eventually.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    only reason i login in honestly is to refine dil and then log off after checking R&D stuff which im on my last school to get to 15. other than that if there's no events going on to get something worth while i don't even play this game anymore, reason? well pve ques are dead and even if you do get into one its over in less than a minute because it fails and bug hunt elite and CCE advanced is so boring now its not even funny. also not to mention how cryptic did us wrong when people like me has ships full of fleet gear also fleet ships and still have to pay more dil to upgrade it? no thanks .another thing im disgusted about? well i work to get plesh brek and new carrier on two toons and got the carrier on both toons but later found out that the plesh is bugged and you cant get it for the 40 marks on other toons and i sent numerous tickets in about it and only response i got from those is were working on it, yea ok. BUT i have to admit i recently got the kobali samsar cruiser and really enjoy flying it but i mean comon CCE advanced is getting old how am i suppose to upgrade my ship if i cant even get the stuff to make the tech upgrades because i don't have billions of EC to drop on materials idk take it how you will but this is how i feel as a veteran and you know what i might be f2p but i can guarantee i work 5 times harder to get what i want then someone that just gives in and pays real out of pocket money.

tell me how you guys feel :cool:

Weird, I have not experienced any of these bad things. The pve Qs are slow, but they do start within a few min for the more common ones. As I have said before, if the people that complain about Qs were all in the Qs the issue would clear up... but they are not, they complain but don't actually Q up. Most of the pug groups I join succeed now; they failed a lot at DR launch, but people have adapated, geared up, learned, and figured it out.

I would rather have had new gear to earn than the upgrade system but meh. I was tired of level 50 and think the level cap increase was a good thing, upgrades are expensive but so was the gear back when. Think about it as a new level XIV item. The upgrade cost is about the same as buying an item, remember paying 30k dil for this item, 15k for that when you first got them? Would you really have been happier to buy new XIV items from the fleet store, grinding more fleet marks and more fleet provisions to buy sub-par items (the fleet weapons do not come in critdx4 and are not shared across the account, they are greatly inferior..)? The upgrade system... could have been better, but acct bound items and custom hand-picked mods and useful crafting... were good things.

they fixed the breen ship problems. I got all 3 ships on multiple toons. Did the fix not work for you?? It came rather late but they did fix it -- they should have added a week to the event though.

Billions of credits? Get in the Qs, get R&D mats, craft upgrades... its slow going but since DR I have managed to upgrade most of my items to XIV on my two primary chars. Not to gold, I am not interested in that. Also, did you miss the FREE upgrades you can farm in the long running anniversary event? People complained about the cost, so they gave us a way to do it cheap.

Yes, the game is designed to encourage you to pay into it. It is a for-profit enterprise and they want your money. If you want to avoid paying, you will have to work for it. I earn the majority of what I have too. DR has kept me very busy earning stuff, which is better than sitting at 50 with everything in hand and nothing to work on. I would not want to pay into that state (having it all again) ... its better to have things to work on for me at least. Which is roundabout to answer the question... I log in because I have a ton to do ...
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They won't give me the antidote unless I do.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what keeps me logging on sto? nothing. when the samser thing completes in a few days i hope, then thats that for the time being. same is true if i dont have the days left to complete it either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Haven't logged in days now. A first since, well, forever. Since DR, they added less and less incentive to do so days after days. Each patch added some nerf to the fun I had in this game, and while the BOFF revamp is something I've waited for years, it doesn't make a game.

I don't have much fun pushing sliders, grinding pinky pixel to push another sliders, and have a XIV instead of a XII. I don't have much fun grinding the same patrol over and over and over just to earn a single spec point.

Before DR I had fun with the queues, but now, they takes forever to start, and the PESTF is pretty much dead compared to what it was the day before DR. The added failure condition on advanced is also a bad feature, since you're not even sure you are going to make it, and you are then locked for, I don't know, 30m or 1h ? Can't remember.

I'll try to log in to complete the kobali set on my character, and I'll take the opportunity to buy a bunch of console with the lobi discount. But yeah, I'm pretty much forcing myself to do so.
    noroblad wrote: »
    I would rather have had new gear to earn than the upgrade system but meh. I was tired of level 50 and think the level cap increase was a good thing, upgrades are expensive but so was the gear back when. Think about it as a new level XIV item. The upgrade cost is about the same as buying an item, remember paying 30k dil for this item, 15k for that when you first got them? Would you really have been happier to buy new XIV items from the fleet store, grinding more fleet marks and more fleet provisions to buy sub-par items (the fleet weapons do not come in critdx4 and are not shared across the account, they are greatly inferior..)? The upgrade system... could have been better, but acct bound items and custom hand-picked mods and useful crafting... were good things.
    The price for upgrading is much more than buying new gear, it locks you in a single build (no more "I'm going to test this new rep set", because you'll have to upgrade it to make it competitive with another upgraded set).
    Also, since the new gear they release is mk xii, you need to upgrade it.

And finally, it's all random. Rarity mostly, and mod for non rep/fleet item.

So yeah, between re-buying my gear and upgrade, I would have taken re-buy on a heartbeat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    wow lots of good feedback here thanks for all the responses
  • Options
    jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    They won't give me the antidote unless I do.

what star trek game are you playing because im in the ques for sure (advanced and elite only) and they are pugs and they all fail within a minute? then your saved to it for 30m or whatever but yea i was in the ques before delta and after it and noticed the huuuuuuuuge change when they brought in advanced and elite stuff that make it fail

EDIT: this replay was to Noroblad not the guy in this quote!
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,827 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    mhirtesc wrote: »
    Me? I'm just logging in to refine my Dil from the last Bonus Dil event, doing KDF DOFF missions to rack up some more Contraband for the next one, and hoping a non-lame event weekend will come along eventually.

Same here as well. I probably log in for just 15 mins at most for R&D, DOFFs and check some of my few friends on fleet (the ones who haven't left yet).

I'm not a noob who wants to level up or a white knight who thinks everything is cheeky. Been here for over 5 years and just getting into a boring phase. Hope they would come up with another version to fix the bugs or juts wait for summer event. In the meantime I spend more time in Star Wars or other MMO.
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Me? something to do for a while

In the past I used to enjoy protracted playing periods (mainly down to doffjobs, whose banter was entertaining, if on occasion disturbing (theres a screenshot in existance of some guy talking about..well, if you are a doffjobber, you know the rest) but now with old friends gone/banhammered and the general 'us versus them' feel between the gamers and devs, let alone the bugs, horrendous lag and the influx of semi afkdrones to farm marks in shuttles (speaking of marks, -that- debacle did not help); its getting harder and harder to stay on longer than doff-a few games-cash in dil and marks-see whats going on in doffjobs before dropping offline

..oh and the pugs with angry Kirks determined to wreck the match, they don't help either (UIA/E is a nogo area now due to trolls/newbies who hit 'f' as fast as possible)