test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

the $5234.99 club

doctorfunke1doctorfunke1 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
No thats not a stardate. That is the amount I have spent on this game as far back as ARC allows me to see.

I think everyone should post how much they have spent, if they have spent more than this.

I think that if I or anyone else has spent this much, or more, should have a certain amount of rights into the way this game is heading.

I also think that if you have spent this much, or more, you should than have some sort of right on creativity of this game. I am specifically talking about depictions of the ships and stations the game has in it, in regards of scale and authenticity.

I think there should be a FORMALIZED board, that can make those of us that have invested in this game feel a bit more appreciated. A way to make it better for those who have spent money to get what they want out of a product that has the name Star Trek on it.

You can see your purchase history on here, and if it equals or exceeds mine, and you have a gripe with the game, no matter how minor, than post the amount you have spent, and your issue you'd like to see resolved.

I have issues with the authenticity of the Galaxy-class starship. Mainly, its artistic depiction. With the 20th Anniversary of Star Trek Generations I had hopes of a galaxy-class revamp, but once again the ball was dropped.

IT IS CALLED "STAR TREK" ONLINE, not "STAR TREK: VOYAGER" ONLINE.

And dont give me any TRIBBLE about the pole conducted on which series they liked most. Im pretty sure the last STO Head Producer had his own favorite.

JJ ignored alot of Trek too, and so did the last head producer.
Post edited by doctorfunke1 on

Comments

• Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Um, I wouldn't be proud of that number.
  • Options
    seiberkagenekoseiberkageneko Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How much money have I spend on the game....I don't know. I know that when the Xindi lockboxes came out, I desperately wanted a Narcine and by the time I got it I had dropped about $140 on it. And with the number of ships and upgrades for my account I've gotten, I'm sure I don't even want to do the math.

That being said, all I ask for is a return on my investment. I paid so I could play the game the way I wanted and enjoy it. All I ask is accessability and stability, and those are two things that are fairly good, but could use improvement. However, no matter how much money you spend, it will not make you part of the dev team, and you don't get a voice in the choices they make unless they ask.

If you want that, you need to spend a little more money, namely enough to buy Perfect World Entertainment. Then you can call the shots.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If enough of us can make a claim or stand on what should be done, and we are the big spenders, we can make a difference. We are the ones who line their pockets.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies. ~Askray
  • Options
    jtmarshjtmarsh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I spent nearly 25k on my Toyota. Should I have say into Toyota? Maybe a board seat!
    Spent almost 5k in Orlando at Disney. They should listen to me about adding trek alone side Star Wars!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No, your opinion does not count more than a random 524 people who spent $10 on the game. They collectively gave more to ARC/PWE than you did.

And a random 100 people who bought the Delta Pack paid in twice as much as you did.

The STO MMO is a business. If they pander to one big spender instead of 1,000 small spenders they will lose money. So they won't. The metrics don't support it, and listening to your idea would be a reporting error :)
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015

I also think that if you have spent this much, or more, you should than have some sort of right on creativity of this game. I am specifically talking about depictions of the ships and stations the game has in it, in regards of scale and authenticity.

I think there should be a FORMALIZED board, that can make those of us that have invested in this game feel a bit more appreciated.

You want a say in how this game runs? Buy stock.

You want to do so via in-game purchases? Buy stuff you like, at times you're happy with their decision-making choices. Don't buy stuff you don't like at times you're unhappy with their decision-making choices.

Simple as that.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, I guess I was the only one.

$1000 a year wasnt that much for me to spend on a game that I thought would be a "good" Star Trek game.

I just thought that the investment would be worth it.

Too bad they couldnt make the galaxy-class starship look like the way Andy Probert designed it.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited February 2015
    free to play players have equal say in this game

If this game belonged to any of you would you run your business like that ?

Or would you rather talk to the people who were spending money on your product ?
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not sure, really. I guessed that if we made an investment, it would only get better.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    No thats not a stardate. That is the amount I have spent on this game as far back as ARC allows me to see.

I think everyone should post how much they have spent, if they have spent more than this.

I think that if I or anyone else has spent this much, or more, should have a certain amount of rights into the way this game is heading.

I think there should be a FORMALIZED board, that can make those of us that have invested in this game feel a bit more appreciated. A way to make it better for those who have spent money to get what they want out of a product that has the name Star Trek on it.

You can see your purchase history on here, and if it equals or exceeds mine, and you have a gripe with the game, no matter how minor, than post the amount you have spent, and your issue you'd like to see resolved.

I have issues with the authenticity of the Galaxy-class starship. Mainly, its artistic depiction. With the 20th Anniversary of Star Trek Generations I had hopes of a galaxy-class revamp, but once again the ball was dropped.

And dont give me any TRIBBLE about the pole conducted on which series they liked most. Im pretty sure the last STO Head Producer had his own favorite.

It has a current focus on Voyager & its good because it brought new stuff into the game. Previously it was DS9 sometimes before that a TOS Time-travel arc; twice. And sometimes in the future probably something else.

Besides: for your 5k+ you got the zen/items you where entitled for & your spending behavior probably show up in some metrics which are the gods of cryptic.

For more decision power you had to spend the money (and probably far more than that) on company shares not ingame stuff.
  • Options
    rickpaaarickpaaa Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think spending over 1k a year is your say in this game. If you appreciate it enough to spend that kind of money, that tells Cryptic that they are doing something right. What more can you say?
    giphy.gif
    Member since December 2009

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    I think spending over 1k a year is your say in this game. If you appreciate it enough to spend that kind of money, that tells Cryptic that they are doing something right. What more can you say?

This.

So very much, this.

If you are spending $1000 a year on a game whose devs are doing things you don't like...

Well, I think all I can say about that (without calling names) is there is some kind of disconnect for you that should be looked into.

Another disconnect: Zen is not an investment. PWE stock is an investment.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015

and you felt this need to justify yourself, because? as i see it looks like another entitlement claim.

"oh i spent this amount of money, i deserve to be listened to by cryptic because of how much i put in". Wrong, you chose to spend that, cryptic never forced you to it at any point.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    theredcomettheredcomet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This club is why we have so many damn lotteries and monetization barriers.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I peronally cannot understand how anyone would even spend 20 bucks for a virtual in-game item, but that's just me :D (Yes, I converted dil to zen. But that weren't my 20 bucks at least XD)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Me? I've spent the grand total of nought. I daresay the vast majority of the playerbase has spent around the same amount.

I could also add that if Cryptic wants to tease their hands into my wallet they'll be working harder to appease to my wishes rather than someone paying for the pleasure everytime something new hits the stores.
    Think we just found out what happens when White Knights and Fan Boys mate.

Thank you for that image.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I peronally cannot understand how anyone would even spend 20 bucks for a virtual in-game item, but that's just me :D (Yes, I converted dil to zen. But that weren't my 20 bucks at least XD)

Its like spending money for going to the cinema or buying ice cream. You are paying to have pleasure, not to own anything. I cannot understand how anyone can make a difference just because the item is virtual.

As much as I disagree with the OP for having any rights after spending certain amounts of money on the game, I could imagine a crowdfunding way of player driven content. They could calculate how much it would cost them to pay an artist and some devs to rework a ship or whatever and if the project gets enough backers, they can implement it. Its working in real life, it could work in a game.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I don't know exactly how much I've spent. I just know that when a Lifetime Subscriber refers to me as a freeloader I get an insane urge to tell him to shut his low-spending pauper face.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    I could imagine a crowdfunding way of player driven content. They could calculate how much it would cost them to pay an artist and some devs to rework a ship or whatever and if the project gets enough backers, they can implement it. Its working in real life, it could work in a game.

Do not give them ideas.

Personal opinion here, but crowdfunding is the devil. Just like alpha access, preordering or any other underhanded means to get your money before delivering a full and complete product.

It's thanks to practice like that we have a neverending storm of crappy games in Steam, cobbled together by some pretender developer who simply steals assets from everyone else just to tease some cash out of fools who think it's funny.

And of course triple A games being released in broken, unplayable messes. Chunks of content being stripped out so you can pay for the pleasure of them as DLC in a few months time - after they've got around to actually fixing it first.

Peter Moleyneux's latest little embarrassment is the perfect summary. Promise lots, deliver little.

Cryptic do that now, you really want it to become worse?

/rant.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    Its like spending money for going to the cinema or buying ice cream. You are paying to have pleasure, not to own anything. I cannot understand how anyone can make a difference just because the item is virtual.

As much as I disagree with the OP for having any rights after spending certain amounts of money on the game, I could imagine a crowdfunding way of player driven content. They could calculate how much it would cost them to pay an artist and some devs to rework a ship or whatever and if the project gets enough backers, they can implement it. Its working in real life, it could work in a game.

To me I think it's an age thing. I'm a old targ and I'm used to buy the games I own.

Though that's not entirely true. I have played a lot of MMOs. D.A.O.C, W.O.W, E.V.E., W.A.R. and some others. But in all these cases I bought the game (collector's editions even in some cases) and then paid a fee to play the game. But I played it in full without limitations. In STOs case, I bought the retail (twice even, a regular and a special edition) and payd my fees to play the full game. Whent he item shop started to be more than cosmetics and they started to bar stuff behind additionall purchases I stopped spending because I don't like that. Now F2P is what they advertise and when I play (atm I don't really log in but meh) I play for free, supporting them with my bare presence.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Do not give them ideas.

Personal opinion here, but crowdfunding is the devil. Just like alpha access, preordering or any other underhanded means to get your money before delivering a full and complete product.

It's thanks to practice like that we have a neverending storm of crappy games in Steam, cobbled together by some pretender developer who simply steals assets from everyone else just to tease some cash out of fools who think it's funny.

And of course triple A games being released in broken, unplayable messes. Chunks of content being stripped out so you can pay for the pleasure of them as DLC in a few months time - after they've got around to actually fixing it first.

Peter Moleyneux's latest little embarrassment is the perfect summary. Promise lots, deliver little.

Cryptic do that now, you really want it to become worse?

/rant.

I see your point, crowdfunding is always a bet with your money. But I dont agree in it being the devil. I have bought some wonderful crowdfunded/ alpha access indie games during the last years (like gnomoria, prison architect, FTL).

And on the other side I can remember a lot of blockbuster games, being released by big publishers and still being unplayable for a long time.

So releasing broken software seems for me not to be related to the way of funding it.
    angrytarg wrote: »
    To me I think it's an age thing. I'm a old targ and I'm used to buy the games I own.

Though that's not entirely true. I have played a lot of MMOs. D.A.O.C, W.O.W, E.V.E., W.A.R. and some others. But in all these cases I bought the game (collector's editions even in some cases) and then paid a fee to play the game. But I played it in full without limitations. In STOs case, I bought the retail (twice even, a regular and a special edition) and payd my fees to play the full game. Whent he item shop started to be more than cosmetics and they started to bar stuff behind additionall purchases I stopped spending because I don't like that. Now F2P is what they advertise and when I play (atm I don't really log in but meh) I play for free, supporting them with my bare presence.

I understand that point. I do not pay for lockbox stuff with real money for instance, but bought a few zen store items. Even cosmetic ones, if I feel I can support the game and I like it. Different people do like different ways of playing, paying etc. But crowdfunding certain items wouldnt mean to stop any other way, just like lockboxes didnt stop zen store ships.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Another entitlement thread.

There are many in this game who have sunk probably much more than you into it, yet they dont feel the need to crow about it or try to use it to beat Cryptic round the head with to get what they want.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Cryptic has a business plan to follow, not the whim of a few players.

Crowing about how much one spends in STO I actually find offensive.
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jtmarsh wrote: »
    I spent nearly 25k on my Toyota. Should I have say into Toyota? Maybe a board seat!
    Spent almost 5k in Orlando at Disney. They should listen to me about adding trek alone side Star Wars!

well, toyto surely dont desung thier cars to your wishes, but surely they will listen to your problems you have with thier car like with clutech, engine starting...etc. And they will fix it :).

just saing.
This discussion has been closed.