Options

the $5234.99 club

Comments

• Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Another entitlement thread.

There are many in this game who have sunk probably much more than you into it, yet they dont feel the need to crow about it or try to use it to beat Cryptic round the head with to get what they want.

You pays your money, you takes your choice.

Cryptic has a business plan to follow, not the whim of a few players.

Crowing about how much one spends in STO I actually find offensive.

What you find offensive, I find incredibly funny. The *only* way we as players can sort of steer the direction of STO is to *not* spend. Giving them boatloads of cash while they take the direction they have been up until recently gives incentive to continue the over-the-top monotization.

OP wants a voice? He/she had one. It said "Cryptic, I LOOOOOOVE what you're doing!!! Here, have some of my money!"

My currently closed wallet is saying the opposite. "Back off the insane time-gating and restore rewards. Do that, and I'll pay for a good product. Do not do that, and the funnel of cash that was flowing will continue to be closed off."

The OP got his say. It was called Delta Rising. I hear it was the best and players loved it.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    free to play players have equal say in this game

If this game belonged to any of you would you run your business like that ?

Or would you rather talk to the people who were spending money on your product ?

I disagree with this.

In the real world, people who are prepared to pay more get better service and better products. Why should an MMO be any different?

Players who spend over certain amounts should get benefits. The more a person spends, the more they're doing to keep this game going. That should always be recognised.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I spent on my LTS and every cstore ship up until f2p. Not going to work that out, but not spent a penny since...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    vawlkusvawlkus Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Since I first bought the game, to get the code for the closed beta, I've probably spent about 600 to 800 in total. The last of that was for the scimitar pack back in LOR when the game was fun. Haven't spent a cent since because there's nothing here that's worth putting money into.
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This thread is so full of failure.

I wonder when people will get some sense, $5k on a game? Its a game, you just don't do that.

Whats up with these Galaxy class fans that feel endlessly entitled to say how the ship should be? Where are the Defiant or Voyager fans that are outraged?

Funniest thing is the irony in the OP thinking how awesome they are for spending stupid money on a game, then still not being bright enough to know they encouraged the downfall of the game with reckless spending.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    vandyfoxvandyfox Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    $220 since 2013 on Arc, and prolly another $200 from Steam. $40 from xmas that I felt I had to spend on STO since was from friend who plays and $50 I just put in thinking I would buy a new ship for my 2 main characters to keep up with all the changes. I was gonna grind dili for the difference, but it takes too long and is too boring. I would rather have that money back now.

When the Odyseey (sp) 3 pack came out, was first time I took a break from the game. I refused to spend money on a ship. I have now purchased 2 Cstore ships and prolly 6 FSMs and 1 of the T5U upgrade packs. Wanted to buy a T6 ship but dont like the ones they released so far. Wish I could have all the goodys but reality and more desirable things exist to shop for. Did not bother me so much until this last year when things feel like got out of control here.
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nicha0 wrote: »

I wonder when people will get some sense, $5k on a game? Its a game, you just don't do that.

Whats up with these Galaxy class fans that feel endlessly entitled to say how the ship should be? Where are the Defiant or Voyager fans that are outraged?

Funniest thing is the irony in the OP thinking how awesome they are for spending stupid money on a game, then still not being bright enough to know they encouraged the downfall of the game with reckless spending.

I disagree with this. Placing judgement on how a person spends their money? How about you tell us what to think, too?

People can do with their money as they please, be it save it, spend it, drink it, burn it, and they don't need you to pass judgement from your lofty throne.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I've spent $3000 3 separate times exploring Peru.
    I've spent $2000 on an all inclusive weekend in Jamaica
    I've spent $2000 every time I visit Puerto Rico
    I've spent $3000 exploring England/France/Spain.
    I've spent $3000 on my honeymoon in a resort in Playa del Carmen, Mexico.
    And those are the international trips (Well PR isn't international)

^
    Completely worth it. (And it's so cold right now, I'm tempted to hop on a plane to Florida)

STO is a game. I might have spent $50 at the most each year which is more in line with the cost of 1 video game each year. I'd rather spend money on worthwhile experiences. This is just entertainment.
  • Options
    sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nicha0 wrote: »

You should go on boards of Star Citizen then, lol.
    People there donated USD 50 million combined for a game that might never come out.

And BTW consider this simple formula

F2P=P2W

Time=Money

Without F2P most games wouldn't have enough population to keep P2W in.
    Without P2W game couldn't be sustainable in the long run.
    It's a handshake.
    If it would make for a more quality game i wouldn't even mind product placement in the game.
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    STO is a game. This is just entertainment.

... So's travel for the sake of enjoyment. Different People - Different Tastes.
  • Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I disagree with this. Placing judgement on how a person spends their money? How about you tell us what to think, too?

People can do with their money as they please, be it save it, spend it, drink it, burn it, and they don't need you to pass judgement from your lofty throne.

It's not about the money, its about sending a message.

ok couldn't help myself, but seriously i probably bought a bunch of ships and the LTS on sale, so more money than im willing to admit(no 5k) but i look at it like this a movie cost 15 or so depending on where it is for a couple of hours of entertainment. The amount of time i spent in this game i feel i got my moneys worth and with my LTS stipend i can continue to get additional items without needing to spend any more money.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've probably spent a couple grand on STO over the last five years. I don't feel bad about that, because 1) this is my primary form of entertainment and 2) plenty of people have smoked a lot more cash. But I do not consider a dime of that to be "invested". If I wanted to invest in the game I'd buy stock.
  • Options
    dkratascodkratasco Member Posts: 585 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wanna have something to say in way how game and company works? Then instead paying for ZEN/Subscription buy shares and become a shareholder. You pay for virtual currency not for the right to vote.
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hmm...

I've spent $10...

I've always felt the best way to "vote" is with your wallet. While I still do play (I REALLY want to get my $10 worth here! lol) if you aren't satisfied with how the game is going it may send a stronger message to the company if you didn't spend thousands of dollars here...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have a better idea. OP, uninstall the game, turn your computer off and go outside and get some of that fresh air and sunshine we all do when we choose to not waste time doing nothing but sitting on our butts playing video games.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    If you can't understand twenty bucks you'll never understand the guy that spent $330,000 real dollars to buy a virtual space station a couple years ago in the MMO Planet Calypso.

The OP's a piker compared to that guy.

sorry but, If you don't know what you are talking, please don't post stuff like that, or at least gives explication for others to understand.

Planet Calypso is part of Entropia Universe and is a RCE game. Real Cash Economy.
    means the people that invest 330k$ and all the others that put $ or € into the game will be able to withdraw real $, when they want, from the game in case they make profit on their investment.

I made a profit myself back then.

for STO I bought a lifetime sub long ago without promotion, and maybe drop € for zen once, back then.
    But like many have said, those who complains, keep putting $ or € into the game.
    stop depositing and maybe cryptic will start to figure out there are big problems. I've stopped !
    until that, they'll continue to just ignore us.
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Think we just found out what happens when White Knights and Fan Boys mate.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo .....

... oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ...
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I have all the three Scimitars, all three Vestas, Defiant-R, Excelsior-R, Tempest, Fleet Avenger, Multi-Vector Prometheus, Science Odyssey, Fleet T'Varo, Contortrix, Mobius, Faeht, Phantom, Pathfinder w/ bridge, +many low-tier ships for their consoles, Presidio Command BC.

add to that master keys and R&D packs to sell for EC, few fleet ship modules, couple upgrade tokens.

not counting all the fleet versions of the -R

Money spent: 0 €
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Going back to August, 2012 - which is as far back as ARC goes - I have spent $5.00 on STO. I do not remember doing the purchase transaction, but I have a vague sense it had something to do with someone in a forum saying buying Zen did not work and I spent $5.00 to check and see. Pre-FTP I am certain I was over $1,000.00 between LTS, C-Store, etc. And I have spent several hundred dollars of other people's money on C-Store items post-FTP. Thank you other people. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    A fool and his money are soon parted" - Thomas Tusser/Dr. John Bridges

"A fool who converted their money into magic money to get another kind of funny money I have plenty of that cost me nothing but time is fine by me" - Myself
  • Options
    sabouma1979sabouma1979 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think everyone should post how much they have spent, if they have spent more than this.

I think that's not of anyone's business how much people spend on anything.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rickpaaa wrote: »
    I think spending over 1k a year is your say in this game. If you appreciate it enough to spend that kind of money, that tells Cryptic that they are doing something right. What more can you say?

Very true. When Cryptic was doing something right, ('Season Five' and 'Legacy of Romulus'), I spent money on c-store items and zen. Once Cryptic did something I didn't like, (timegates, nerfs, obsessive grinding mechanics, T5 ship devaluation, & Delta Rising), I had everyone in the house hold stop spending. We are now spending money on an entirely different game.

My spending mentality:

$60 = One Single-Player and Offline Game.

During the past five years, across two accounts, I have spent roughly $600 on 'Star Trek: Online'. I rewarded Cryptic for releasing good content. I held back when Cryptic released horrible content. Once I felt too pressured into spending money, (due to heavy grinding, timegates, nerfs, and devaluation of T5 ships), I had to find someway to take control. So, I told my house hold to stop playing 'Star Trek: Online'.

I want 'good' products and merchandise to sell well.

I want 'Star Trek' to remain a successful franchise.
    ...That is the amount I have spent on this game as far back as ARC allows me to see.

I think that if I or anyone else has spent this much, or more, should have a certain amount of rights into the way this game is heading.

Spending $5,234,99 on something that makes you upset is illogical. Although you have a right to do whatever you want, the reality is that your actions are creating a conundrum. When Cryptic sees people spend money, they feel that their efforts are being rewarded. Cryptic is measuring success based upon on how much people spend.

You are technically saying, "Cryptic you are doing great. Here is more money".

Your spending is overshadowing your voice.

Actions speak louder than words.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    burstorion wrote: »
    "A fool who converted their money into magic money to get another kind of funny money I have plenty of that cost me nothing but time is fine by me" - Myself

"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle."

in otherwords quit while you are ahead, but now behind.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Give me $5234.99 and I'll make ya some epic foundry missions.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think that if I or anyone else has spent this much, or more, should have a certain amount of rights into the way this game is heading.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes, yes, spending money on a product gives you the right to direct the company! It always works this way! If you've spent that kind of money over your lifetime on, say, General Mills products, then the CEO of General Mills should have you on speed-dial for the next time they're creating a new cereal! Because this is how business works!

If you want to use your money to have some ownership over the game, then buy PWE stock (it's still publicly traded). You'd need a lot more than $5000 to get anywhere, though.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Somewhere in the world, a kid is dying of malnutrition right now. I'm glad he can't read this thread, because otherwise I would be really ashamed.

Anyway, you are what we call a "whale". You spend ludicrous amount of money on a f2p videogame (your choice, not judging, merely stating the facts). And you have absolutely 0 rights on the game itself, or the pixel you bought.

If you want to have your say in the game development, then either spend that on a kickstarter game (with twice that amount, you can even meet the dev team, usually), or buy PWE shares. Once you have enough shares, you can have a say in the general game development.

Currently, what you do is like spending 5K $ to buy cheeseburger at the nearest Mc Donald, and wonder why you don't have a say on how the company runs. If that's your goal, you're doing it wrong.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.