What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Making Of Command Ships

Comments

• Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For the Fed ones I see alot of inspiration from Fuzzy Modem's Enterprise-F contest entry. I always liked his design.
  • Options
    proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    uh why not the defiant the galaxy dreadought akk three intel ships and the avenger and the aquaius can mount cloaks so why nhot battle cruisers? the avenger is a battle cruiser isn't it?. and before you holla about treaty of algeron that romulean empire collapsed when romulus got turned to cinder
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Well unfortunately that gets into a Rule of Cool area. Think of the dilemma there. Sure, Cryptic could have put the Scimitar in without a thelaron weapon, but wouldn't there have been an outcry from players "What's the use of adding this thing without the Theralron weapon from the movie?!?!"

Alternatively, they could have made the Llieset without a thalaron device which would have been better, however...
    I don't think we see the Llieset use a thalaron device. It may not be equipped with one

Day of the Republic (First Contact, Day of Honor) celebration - we get to "test drive" the Llieset, and yes - it has a fully functional thalaron device.

EDIT: We should probably stop with this anyway, as it has nothing to do with the topic of this dev blog. Perhaps such debate is more apropriate in the Romulan section of the forum.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In regards to the Lleiset and Thalaron Generators on Scimitar-type Dreadnoughts...

Have we considered that they simply can not function without a Thalaron generator powering the entire ship? It may be connected to the singularity drive itself, regardless of whether or not the thalaron blast is active. In its default setting, the thalaron generator may just be inert, and failsafes might be in place to prevent the thalaron generator from being harmful, even in the case of complete ship destruction.

In this case, the thalaron generator on Romulan warbird dreadnoughts is no more controversial than the anti-matter used in warp cores, or a nuclear reactor on board modern-day ships. Yes, there is the potential for much to go wrong. Yes, there are safety measures to consider -- but for all we know the Scimitar can not function without an active thalaron-generator device behind it.

It is simply up to the Romulan Republic and their individual captains whether or not they want to make the thalaron generator capable of being weaponized. Not unlike Tricobalt Torpedos and the option captains have to make subspace weapons out of them, despite subspace weapons being banned.

The Solanae technology is somewhat similar, it took Dyson Joint Command a while to create the Dyson Science Destroyers without the use of Omega Particles for their function. Which tells me Solanae Technology normally functions using Omega Particles as fuel -- they aren't normally weaponized.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    Well as I said I wouldn't mind if Cryptic decided to use one of the new ships.

Here's how I would do it. On First Contact Day when we have those little flagship missions, make the RR one a handover ceremony.

"The Lleiset served the republic honorably at a time when we did not have the shipbuilding capabilities to produce our own vessel. Today we retire this workhorse and symbolically cast off the shackles of the old Empire by proudly declaring this new Republic-built vessel as our flagship."
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First of all thanks for the Blog. Love it and loved the reasoning on the hangar. :D

On the subject of the Romulan Republic Warbird Freedom. There are a lot of ways the symbolism could be taken.

We the people of the Republic are peaceful and want to be your friends. But our ship is big, black, and bad so don't F*&k with us. The fact is that the Republic has been in a very tentative position for a while, with the Tal Shiar breathing down their neck at every turn. Even thirty years later the Scimitar and the ships based on her are beast. And the Republic was low on resources. I would take every bit of materiel from the Star Empire and Tal Shiar I could find and turn it back around at them. Having a full blown Dreadnaught Warbird as the top dog ship in the fleet makes sense.

Another interesting tidbit, the Lleiset isn't a Scimitar. Technically it's a Tulwar. Until last First Contact day she was a Falchion, but she has never been a Scimitar.

That said, if the Scimitar was destroyed in a story mission and then the next time we see Tiaru and company it's aboard a new Baratan, I would be cool with that. But one doesn't just cast aside a proven ship, for the new hotness.

Plus just me personally I have enough battle cruisers what the KDF really lacks and one of the things its well known for is the bops which compared to battle cruisers we don't have much of any of them. Especially being there is only one c-store bop you can buy lol.
    This is actually a discussion I've been having in game quite a bit, and I'll throw my hat in, we need a new Bird of Prey. Preferably in the Hegh'ta design lineage for me.

But we need a new Bird of Prey. Personally I think the Intel specialization would've been perfect for the Bird of Prey which is historically a scout, read: a Reconnaissance vessel.

I don't know what you guys have in store, but a tier 6 Klingon Bird of Prey should definitely be on the docket.

jer5488 wrote: »
    The hanger bay and the pets being meant for defense is cool. It's exactly how I fly mine. Elite Peregrines on intecept command - keeping the command ship protected instead of mixing it up in the field.

I really like the 'mobile fortress' feel that these ships have to them. I'm enjoying them quite a bit.
    You know, I've never used intercept. But using it to screen makes perfect sense. It's the way the Danubes were flown during the mission with the Odyssey.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We don't know what the Llieset's service history was. It may never have been used to house a thelaron weapon. We only know of one Scimitar in canon that had one and it got blown up.

The analogy would be more like a German official riding around in the same model car as one Hitler used. I'm sure some would fault them for that, but I wouldn't. The entire production line is not responsible for what one person got up to in one car. And speaking in-universe, how do we know some Republic citizens don't consider the Llieset to be a controversial choice?

Oooh. Good points. Though my position and opinion remains unchanged, I legitimately have nothing to bring against that.

I would only add that perhaps overanalyzing the question may be muddling the point - is it a good idea to use the Scimitar-class as the Republic flagship. Rational reasons why you could have certainly been brought up, but I don't think a strictly rational response to a question of an abstract thing like symbolism is necessarily the best way to go about it.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    proteus22 wrote: »
    uh why not the defiant the galaxy dreadought akk three intel ships and the avenger and the aquaius can mount cloaks so why nhot battle cruisers? the avenger is a battle cruiser isn't it?. and before you holla about treaty of algeron that romulean empire collapsed when romulus got turned to cinder

What I was saying is that the cloak does not necessarily come hand in hand with a battlecruiser type of ship. The Monbosh is a battlecruiser, yet it doesn't come with a cloak. Same goes for the D'Kora and Apex.

Anyway, these particular ships have no need for a cloak anyway. It's more of a canon flavour thing for Klingons and Romulans and to add somekind of distinction between the factions. These ships are suposed to draw fire, take hits and boost the surrounding fleet by design, I don't want or need to sit cloaked in one of these - I need to be right there in the eye of the storm.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Here's how I would do it. On First Contact Day when we have those little flagship missions, make the RR one a handover ceremony.

"The Lleiset served the republic honorably at a time when we did not have the shipbuilding capabilities to produce our own vessel. Today we retire this workhorse and symbolically cast off the shackles of the old Empire by proudly declaring this new Republic-built vessel as our flagship."

This would be wonderful.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    What I was saying is that the cloak does not necessarily come hand in hand with a battlecruiser type of ship. The Monbosh is a battlecruiser, yet it doesn't come with a cloak. Same goes for the D'Kora and Apex.

Anyway, these particular ships have no need for a cloak anyway. It's more of a canon flavour thing for Klingons and Romulans and to add somekind of distinction between the factions. These ships are suposed to draw fire, take hits and boost the surrounding fleet by design, I don't want or need to sit cloaked in one of these - I need to be right there in the eye of the storm.

This is how I feel. Cloaking is just something you expect from the KDF and Romulans. I don't even use my cloaking device on any of my Fed ships that can equip it. It is more of a personal preference.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    roamingmuttroamingmutt Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will pay real money for a few new bridges for these ships.

Just putting that out there, STO. Just putting that out there.
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Might be beer speaking, but this blog didn't say much, if anything at all.

Also I hate adding 'specific mechanics' to ships like the intel or command ones, and even more I hate adding hangar bays just because.

Again, might be beer, but this blog was a big letdown.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    ragnar0xragnar0x Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yea they look great, but where to try them? In borg stf that I did 69585369834 times or you could just create new stf's and I might come back to the game.
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The art is HORRIBLE on these ships. Functionality...another story.

The art designer needs some input from either futuristic ships other than saucer like or just ask the community for more ideas...probably burned out with OLD stuff flowing on his head.:D

Will not waste my money in OLD museum like pieces
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    We don't know what the Llieset's service history was. It may never have been used to house a thelaron weapon. We only know of one Scimitar in canon that had one and it got blown up.

The analogy would be more like a German official riding around in the same model car as one Hitler used. I'm sure some would fault them for that, but I wouldn't. The entire production line is not responsible for what one person got up to in one car. And speaking in-universe, how do we know some Republic citizens don't consider the Llieset to be a controversial choice?

I haven't seen the Lileset use the Thalaron Pulse in any of the dozen's of missions I've played with the ship in it. So it may be that the Lileset doesn't have it. So that lends credence that few, if any of the RR Scimitar's have Thalaron reactors equipped.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    lordfuzun wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Lileset use the Thalaron Pulse in any of the dozen's of missions I've played with the ship in it. So it may be that the Lileset doesn't have it. So that lends credence that few, if any of the RR Scimitar's have Thalaron reactors equipped.

Nope. Republic Day, you take Jarok's ship out for a spin. It has the Thalaron bells and whistles installed.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    In regards to the Lleiset and Thalaron Generators on Scimitar-type Dreadnoughts...

Have we considered that they simply can not function without a Thalaron generator powering the entire ship? It may be connected to the singularity drive itself, regardless of whether or not the thalaron blast is active. In its default setting, the thalaron generator may just be inert, and failsafes might be in place to prevent the thalaron generator from being harmful, even in the case of complete ship destruction.

In this case, the thalaron generator on Romulan warbird dreadnoughts is no more controversial than the anti-matter used in warp cores, or a nuclear reactor on board modern-day ships. Yes, there is the potential for much to go wrong. Yes, there are safety measures to consider -- but for all we know the Scimitar can not function without an active thalaron-generator device behind it.

It is simply up to the Romulan Republic and their individual captains whether or not they want to make the thalaron generator capable of being weaponized. Not unlike Tricobalt Torpedos and the option captains have to make subspace weapons out of them, despite subspace weapons being banned.

The Solanae technology is somewhat similar, it took Dyson Joint Command a while to create the Dyson Science Destroyers without the use of Omega Particles for their function. Which tells me Solanae Technology normally functions using Omega Particles as fuel -- they aren't normally weaponized.

In Nemesis the Thalaron Generator was never spoken of as powering the ship only the weapon, so unless Cryptic wanted to shoehorn in some (Jello) soft canon hand waving, the generally known info is that Romulan ships are powered by artificial singularities.

Bottom line it's a bit of a ticking time bomb it may go off and pollute space it may not.

*Gets back on the Beaten path*

Even though some of the new Romulan ships remind me of the Batwing painted green it is interesting to see how the designs are developed/approved.

What I really want to see with the next romulan ships is more of a canon Romulan Bridge design Meaning a Engineering section that isn't made with Tardis tech. the singularity core on the D'deridex class ships wasn't so freakin huge and spinning all the time. :P it was small and condensed The current core is way to big for a ship it'd work for a space station though *Cough* Romulan fleet holding.
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    qordaqqordaq Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So, Klingon design (Art) aside, I like the basic concept of these ships.

Having some parity across factions on ships like this is a really good move, in my opinion, as it reduces the the design time for Cryptic (Same three ships across all factions), in terms of layout and console design. It also means that for once KDF and Romulans get the same access to special powers/traits that the Feds get--coming out of the gate.

All while maintaining faction-specific aesthetics.

I feel that with an overwhelming number of new ships in the game, this approach was a good one. I hope to see more of these kinds of design considerations going forward.

As to Art design, I feel the Fed ships look very Federation and that's a good thing. The Romulan stuff I have no real opinion on because I don't much play my Rommies anyway. The KDF ships, on the other hand, are really ugly (Sorry Cryptic, I know you worked hard on them and cannot hope to satisfy everyone).

The KDF Command ships just look so "Boxey" and reminiscent of some of my least favorite FASA designs in some ways. Not that they look like FASA stuff, but they look like they could have been examples of the lesser of those designs.

But again, that's just the art. I'll buy them because I want you to keep making things for my dearly-loved KDF faction, and the concept behind the mechanics and cross-faction parity are solid in my opinion.

maj!
    Previously: QorDaq
    Operations Team, 12th Fleet
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    The current core is way to big for a ship it'd work for a space station though *Cough* Romulan fleet holding.

It is the core from The Event Horizon vessel designed by Dr. Weir, cryptic drew inspiration from that instead of the tv show, its been shown on tng a few times...apparently those episodes were missed by the staff.

What I want and I am sure others are, is some more hangar pets for the kdf/romulan fractions, just so I can you know choose something instead of something being chosen for me.
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like how the Rom sci command ship when viewed from above looks basically like the Romulan logo itself. It's well done.

The KDF ships, while not the best designs I've ever seen, do remain faithful to the aesthetics of Klingon design and construction. The engineering ship is a bit too boxy, but thankfully we can kit bash around it. The saucer on the tac variant seems odd to me too.

Fed ships are sleek and sexy as always. The looong secondary hull gives me hope for a future single nacelled fed ship later, c'mon Cryptic, you know you want to! So close.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    In Nemesis the Thalaron Generator was never spoken of as powering the ship only the weapon, so unless Cryptic wanted to shoehorn in some (Jello) soft canon hand waving, the generally known info is that Romulan ships are powered by artificial singularities.

Bottom line it's a bit of a ticking time bomb it may go off and pollute space it may not.

Might be powered by an artificial singularity, but the thalaron generator could easily be just as important for the ship to continue operating as any other number of technologies we see in the Star Trek series.

The Scimitar was described as being one massive thalaron generator, so even if it was not the primary power source, I would consider the possibility that it is an important enough part of the entire ship design that it just is not possible of functioning without it installed, even if it was inert the entire time.

The Romulan Star Empire and subsequently the Romulan Republic could then just pick and choose which of the ships can weaponize it and which ones choose to make the thalaron generator inert.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    lieutenantusherlieutenantusher Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I'd like to read more about the design process personally but still a decent read.

I feel like the command ships and abilities are exactly what they should be, as fun as powercreep and solo play can be I had to support a balanced, team focused mechanic and I wasn't dissapointed. The Tactical battlecruiser is a really nice addition to my fleet and the game.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    For the most part, they are nice ships... but... the question I have is...

WHEN ARE THESE PACKS GOING ON SALE!!! :D
  • Options
    xstarhammerxxstarhammerx Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They're neat and all, and I'll probably buy them sooner or later, because I'm and addict, I'm a completionist.. I have a problem. But... Sooner or later "oh look, a few more new ships" just doesn't inspire a whole lot of enthusiasm anymore. For one thing, trading out starships like used cars just doesn't appeal to me. I'd be fine with the idea of running a new ship for a while to break it in, do some Quality Assurance for Starfleet, and train some up and coming Bridge Officers (while I grind out a Ship Mastery Trait) but it REALLY sucks to spend so much money on a ship just to mothball it when I go back to "my" ship. Especially when "My" ship can't properly support interesting new functions. Nope, no Command or Intel abilities for my Ferengi Captain's D'kora. If I want to have the same abilities as everyone else, I have to fly the same ships as everyone else, and all in all, just be like everyone else. Conform or be relegated to inconsequentiality.

I don't mind throwing money at this game. As much as I spend (and that's more than I can admit without shame) it's less than some friends blow on booze and smokes, so I'm ok with it... but dangit, give me more options that appeal to me. Let me customize and upgrade my older ships so they can keep up with the "new hotness." I'll spend just as much Zen on upgrades as on new ships, probably more. More important, when I talk to others about what I do with my free time, I can describe a game that lets me do what I want, that doesn't lock out options for no apparent reason than intentionally frustrating me (Looking at Off Duty costume incompatability and the inability to get non-consumable combat pets more interesting than a pile of rocks), rather than "yeah, it's gotten a lot better than when I beta tested, but they really aren't interested in giving me the gaming experience I want, so I'm still looking."
  • Options
    themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Not gonna lie, that would be cool. But remember, that would make the Republic's third flagship in two years. The Ha'apax-class RRW Deihu was the Republic's first flagship. Changing it again would not be a good outlook. I think if Cryptic were to give the Republic a new flagship, it would make better sense to have the Lleiset destroyed in a story mission.

Cool idea though.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    Might be beer speaking, but this blog didn't say much, if anything at all.

Also I hate adding 'specific mechanics' to ships like the intel or command ones, and even more I hate adding hangar bays just because.

Again, might be beer, but this blog was a big letdown.

It could be worse. No TV and no beer make Homer something something...

Overall, it's not a bad post, and it does shed a little light on the design philosophy. The hybrid between the battlecruiser and flight-deck cruiser designs seems to work out nicely, and if nothing else they did actually offer balanced ships to each of the factions. I really just want the ones for the KDF and RRF, but I'll probably just break down and get the full 9-pack after some saving up instead... we'll see.

If the Intel ships had been done this way, I'd have bought them in a heartbeat. ;)
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    "Inspiration build up" is a very very big problem with this ships

Did you see how long did it take to build enough Inspiration to get the Inspiration to 100% (ONCE)

when it is ready you want to uses it in the right Moment

In most cases the STF (Special Task Force) Mission is (then) already over ....

Even when the entire Team is hammering their Abilitys as hard as possible .
  • Options
    ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Must admit felt like that blog ended rather abruptly. I was expecting to perhaps see some of the concept art for the ships, to see what could have been. Ultimately I wouldn't consider getting these until STO has improved considerably. I have no desire for endless grind fests which have been cryptics idea of content of late. Makes me wish it was LoR launch again, much better expansion in my opinion. Lots of story content, no stupid xp timegates between missions you could PLAY the game at your own pace instead of grinding to cryptics tune.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Might be powered by an artificial singularity, but the thalaron generator could easily be just as important for the ship to continue operating as any other number of technologies we see in the Star Trek series.

Funny thing, this is exactly what I figured was the case when I first got the ship. It’s an immensely powerful device, so it makes sense to use that as a source of power. Also, this was originally a Reman-inspired design, so there’s a fair chance that a thalaron generator is a legitimate secondary power source in their ships - Shinzon was just insane enough to weaponize it. Just add that to the list of things we’re learning about the Remans as we go.
    Let me customize and upgrade my older ships so they can keep up with the "new hotness." I'll spend just as much Zen on upgrades as on new ships, probably more.

This, so much this. Now that there are two fully-functional specializations, I’d love it if the C-Store had a token for sale that did the same thing to ships as can be done to BOFFs now: train in a specialization. I wouldn’t expect my T5-U ship to become a full specialization ship, but I’d pay ZEN to convert a BOFF seat to a specialization. Maybe on a scale? 100 ZEN to convert an Ensign seat, to 400 ZEN for a full Commander seat.

Although I’d be ok with waiting a bit longer for this. Maybe once the third specialization comes out, there’ll be enough choice to warrant offering this type of seat upgrade.
    But remember, that would make the Republic's third flagship in two years. The Ha'apax-class RRW Deihu was the Republic's first flagship. Changing it again would not be a good outlook. I think if Cryptic were to give the Republic a new flagship, it would make better sense to have the Lleiset destroyed in a story mission.

Agreed. It’d be strange to have so many flagships in a short time. Although the Republic had already been making their own ships around the time the Lleiset came around. The Ar’kif is supposed to be one of the first Republic-built warbirds, and was at least in the final construction stages when the Lleiset was crowned.

That said, if Jarok’s flagship is going to be replaced by any ship, any of these new Command warbirds would do the trick very nicely. Of course, if they're looking for a new flagship commander as well, I may throw my hat into the ring :cool:
    preiko wrote: »
    "Inspiration build up" is a very very big problem with this ships

Did you see how long did it take to build enough Inspiration to get the Inspiration to 100% (ONCE)

I can usually fire a Command ability off several times in an STF. If you’re playing at Normal level, or playing one of the quicker STFs, yeah it can be a problem. But it’s a balance, and these are new ships - wouldn't surprise me if they rebalanced the timer in the near future after looking at the initial gameplay results.