test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Organize

delilahwilddelilahwild Member Posts: 63 Arc User
Like most of you I am deeply disappointed with Delta Rising and the emerging state of the Star Trek Online. The reasons are well documented in these threads and I won’t repeat them here. Speaking for myself, the various changes to STO has made endgame casual play pointless in the absence of an open wallet. Like many others I now only sign in twice a week to doff and contribute to my fleet. I will wait in the meantime and hope STO will be taken over and improved by another management team.

I do have several words of gentle advice drawn from the real world to those of you who want to push for a better game.

First, many of the treads in the forum spend time documenting STO’s many problems, then arguing with fanboys and trolls asserting the opposite. It is a rule of thumb in marketing that one to two thirds of positive corporate social media are sock puppets paid for by companies themselves. It is a waste of your time and energy arguing with such folks, as they do not approach the issue with an open mind or good intent.

Second, Cryptic is actively promoting itself on alternative locales like Reddit and Facebook. This lets them sidestep criticism from the player base who post on this forum, undermining your efforts on this forum. It also allows them to claim they engaged with the community.

What is the solution to both issues noted above? “Don’t complain. Organize”. (Mother Jones). Complaining is asking for Cryptic to hear you and respond fairly. It is obvious that is not going to happen. So take STO’s fate into your own hands.

Create an anonymous website, name it something like STO-Truth, and link it to social media via twitter, Reddit and Facebook. Cross post into and from this forum and STO's social media. Contact game reviewers and share your concerns. Aggressively analyze and publicize the problems and dissatisfactions with STO and its management. Let the world outside — current and potential players — know what is really going on. Don’t let the developers and corporate hacks hide behind sock-puppets and cheap attempts of community engagement.

There is a tremendous amount of talent in this player-base, and such campaigns have been successful with enterprises like CCP (Eve Online) and Etsy. It will be work, but for those of you deeply committed to STO it may be worthwhile. Good speed.

Cheers, Del
Post edited by delilahwild on

Comments

• Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It is a rule of thumb in marketing that one to two thirds of positive corporate social media are sock puppets paid for by companies themselves.

You mean I could have been getting paid for actually understanding and supporting some of Cryptics' moves?

Dammit Cryptic... Where's my paycheck! I demand money for arguing in your favour!

Talk about absolutely baseless tripe...

What's more, you speak as if those on the forum are a majority (you even seem as if you are speaking for the majority at least - which you are not) however, those on the forum are only a very small, and vocal, minority of players...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    First, many of the treads in the forum spend time documenting STO’s many problems, then arguing with fanboys and trolls asserting the opposite.

That's as far as I got. Somebody disagreeing with you does not make them a fanboy or a troll. They're just somebody that disagrees with you. Not everybody is going to agree on everything...and it takes a certain kind of mentality to think that somebody is always right, thus anybody that disagrees is a fanboy or a troll. Not saying there are not folks that come across as haters, fanboys, or trolls - but just because somebody asserts the opposite of what you think does not make them a hater, fanboy, nor troll.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Interesting. Two fanboys in first. "Me thinks you protest too much".
  • Options
    edited February 2015

No, me thinks you just waste your time and having to resort to infantile, schoolyard name calling means you really don't have alot to say of consequence...

• Options
    billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    No, me thinks you just waste your time and having to resort to infantile, schoolyard name calling means you really don't have alot to say of consequence...

You NEVER do that, right?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    billdun wrote: »
    You NEVER do that, right?

Not directly, but you're welcome to demonstrate otherwise...

• Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As a member of the CDF I have this to say.

Do it. Make a #DeltaGrinding, hit up tumblr, reddit, facebook, myspace, and whatever else you can. Start showering CBS with good old snail mail and e-mail over how Cryptic is acting.

But most of all do it right. Clearly back up everything you say with quotes, facts, and purely logical data.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I definitely have to agree with imruined, at least on a few points. Even if completely and utterly true on the problems aspect (though not imo), the forums are a small percentage of STO's entire playerbase - somewhere in the vicinity of 3-5%, if I'm not mistaken.

And also, even with that in mind, they aren't purely divided into 'hate this game', fanboys, and trolls. Things are rarely that simple - some people legitly like this game (me included, but without praising Cryptic's every move), even now; some hate it for those same reasons; others couldn't care less one way or the other; and so on. Just because they think one way doesn't make them a fanboy or hater. It's considerably more nuanced than that
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Pointing out that you said something stupid doesn't make one a Cryptic fanboy. Has nothing to do with Cryptic at all. Say less stupid things, people will have fewer stupid things to point out.
    trek21 wrote: »
    And also, even with that in mind, they aren't purely divided into 'hate this game', fanboys, and trolls. Things are rarely that simple - some people legitly like this game (me included, but without praising Cryptic's every move), even now; some hate it for those same reasons; others couldn't care less one way or the other; and so on. Just because they think one way doesn't make them a fanboy or hater. It's considerably more nuanced than that

Many players, imho even most, have an overall mixed feeling on things. They like stuff, they dislike stuff. They have a mix of feelings on different things and they share those opinions on things, so it's not all hate - not all love. Inevitably it leads to the same person being called a hater in one thread and a fanboy in another because they've disagreed with two different folks. As for the troll thing, meh these forums demonstrate day in and day out that if Tom wants cake and Jerry wants pie then Tom's going to call Jerry a troll. /sigh

It irritates the Hell out of me that folks could reach adulthood without having learned the most basic things as toddlers.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Not directly, but you're welcome to demonstrate otherwise...

Calling people childish, foolish, hysterical, and telling them that they're raving is schoolyard TRIBBLE IMO, but I'm sure you feel differently.

Seriously? You would not play a specific ship because you cannot use Ability XYZ III and have to use Ability ABC III in it's place?

I'm sorry, but that's just being infantile and foolish...

I can understand people wanting to use certain builds etc, but to out and out refuse to play because they can't is just childish and plays back into the hysterical ravings I've mentioned...

No, my loadouts change on a regular basis and I use a different loadout for each ship I try, it increases replayability by changing the experience, albeit in a small manner, but every little bit helps...

Though there are indeed a few abilities I prefer to have over others, I'm not going to restrict myself from using a ship simply because I can't use a very specific ability, but, if that's how you want to play your game, I won't tell you otherwise...

I will reiterate I think it's somewhat childish, but that's your prerogative...

Again, broken implies it does not work... Until such time the entire Boff training system fails to work, it's incomplete, which I stated was indeed rather dumb, there's no denying that, but to say it's 'broken' is incorrect and trying to turn the entire thing into something more than it truely is...

A broken system would stop people playing that aspect of STO entirely because it is unusable... It is broken... It does not work... Missing a few abilities is not broken, it will not stop you using the Boff training system, hence, it is NOT broken... Since abilities will not be available, it is incomplete... Big difference...
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Wow. Dragging up past words. Classy
  • Options
    edited February 2015

He requested I do it.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    This is what is needed.
    As a member of the CDF I have this to say.

Do it. Make a #DeltaGrinding, hit up tumblr, reddit, facebook, myspace, and whatever else you can. Start showering CBS with good old snail mail and e-mail over how Cryptic is acting.

But most of all do it right. Clearly back up everything you say with quotes, facts, and purely logical data.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited February 2015

The words you were looking for were "accurate and effective".
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There's a difference between pointing out actions and pointing out people.

Somebody can do something childish without being childish.

I can eat a vegetarian pizza without being a vegetarian.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    billdun wrote: »
    Calling people childish, foolish, hysterical, and telling them that they're raving is schoolyard TRIBBLE IMO, but I'm sure you feel differently.
    Seriously? You would not play a specific ship because you cannot use Ability XYZ III and have to use Ability ABC III in it's place?

I'm sorry, but that's just being infantile and foolish...

I can understand people wanting to use certain builds etc, but to out and out refuse to play because they can't is just childish and plays back into the hysterical ravings I've mentioned...

No, my loadouts change on a regular basis and I use a different loadout for each ship I try, it increases replayability by changing the experience, albeit in a small manner, but every little bit helps...

Though there are indeed a few abilities I prefer to have over others, I'm not going to restrict myself from using a ship simply because I can't use a very specific ability, but, if that's how you want to play your game, I won't tell you otherwise...

I will reiterate I think it's somewhat childish, but that's your prerogative...

Again, broken implies it does not work... Until such time the entire Boff training system fails to work, it's incomplete, which I stated was indeed rather dumb, there's no denying that, but to say it's 'broken' is incorrect and trying to turn the entire thing into something more than it truely is...

A broken system would stop people playing that aspect of STO entirely because it is unusable... It is broken... It does not work... Missing a few abilities is not broken, it will not stop you using the Boff training system, hence, it is NOT broken... Since abilities will not be available, it is incomplete... Big difference...

Probably missed a couple highlights...

But no, I was describing attitudes and behaviour which were indeed akin to behaviour I would expect from an infant... As I go on to explain in further detail here :
    Yeah, ok... Refusing to play because you can't use a specific ability in a game the size of STO, is infantile, but your prerogative...

It makes me think of something my young nieces would pull, right before they drop to the floor kicking and screaming up a storm over something trivial...

So, any other examples?

• Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    posted by delilahwild
    There is a tremendous amount of talent in this player-base, and such campaigns have been successful with enterprises like CCP (Eve Online) and Etsy. It will be work, but for those of you deeply committed to STO it may be worthwhile. Good speed.

Nice try; Why would any of these omni-talented free thinkers being any less lazy and apathetic than you? Run your own social media campaign or try to shill it off on someone else? At least you are capable of typing the word work.

Mother Jones is a joke selling itself to people who think they are free because they read the right magazines. With "talented" alumni like Micheal Moore moving onto exploitation documentaries to line his coffers and stuff his face. Are you a, "Man of the People" too?

Spin doctors on both sides would have you believe issues are polarized. I don't need to support Cryptic to be repelled by the gall of a bunch of twits who cry because something they are getting for free isn't free enough. If people don't like this game why don't they just walk away? Don't play it. Don't cry about it. Don't post incoherent rants about it on forums concerning the game when they allegedly can't be bothered to play. Problem solved.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This is what is needed.
    I see a hitch in that road though - say you do it, and get a good effort going on it, and so on.

But the ones at CBS, if they care enough to respond at all, ask 'are they actually doing anything illegal?' or other possible wording that says are they acting outside their job boundaries? Maybe you'll realize that no they aren't, say that yes they are with proof, or a mix of the two - and ultimately, CBS may be like 'I'm sorry that you feel that way, but it's not likely to change in the interim.' And that's if you're lucky, at least imo.

And with CBS hypothetically turning you down, you continue to move to Facebook, Twitter, etc, saying what you think Cryptic is doing. Some will take you for your word, others won't believe you and check for themselves (half realizing that you were right, and the other half thinking your words were nonsense, or approximately so), but the end result? Anyone wasn't interested in STO in the first place won't change that view, while you'll make a marginal disturbance in those who want to play at some point.

And what does it accomplish? The loss of a small profit? It hardly brings down the net benefit of those who spend hundreds or even thousands on this game now, or the combined playerbase who still spends money, I think
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Similarly, I *also* must point out that making one's points without engaging in personal attacks against the devs--or even thinking I might like some of them as people if I were to meet them--does not mean I must be some kind of paid shill. It just means that I don't believe in treating the devs like trash. I will tell them I disagree with them but I will not tell them they must be miserable excuses for human beings or some of the even worse things I've seen that I will not repeat.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @horridperson - what you said. In whatever trump suit we're playing this hand.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    There's a difference between pointing out actions and pointing out people.

Somebody can do something childish without being childish.

Can you visit Andoria without being blue? ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Can you visit Andoria without being blue? ;)

I can, because I'm not a bigot like Q.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I can, because I'm not a bigot like Q.

But, but, but...

...what if you eat a vegetarian?
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Like most of you I am deeply disappointed with Delta Rising...

I stopped reading after 'most of you.' You do not speak for the community; and things aren't that black & white: like many there be that will love DR, but hate the monetization.

And getting 'organized', across the playerbase, it's been suggested a zillion times before (maybe it should become an FCT?), and simply doesn't work.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do what I'm doing, cut back. Eventually you might find something better to do and play that. The best you can do if you don't like what Cryptic is doing is stop putting money in to the game and stop playing. You won't help to change anything by staying really since your just adding to their metrics. Besides you might find something better that will make you forget STO.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    ...what if you eat a vegetarian?

I think that makes you a cannibal, sir.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,552 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    OP, you don't speak for me.

I'm having fun playing the game.

I grind a little for things like the Omega tech upgrades but I only grind when I feel like it -- it's day 9 and I'm up to a total of 2 Omegas.

I don't grind Arugula because I don't need to since I earn XP playing other content and I don't feel I "need" to reach 90 spec points this week or even this month.

I turn in my marks using the hourly for 340 dil any day I want to, which makes me more than the 750 dil for 50. Sure, getting a bonus on the 340 would be nice but I don't think I'm "entitled" to it because reasons.

I didn't whine about the Anniversary free items being "underwhelming" because they were free. I did nothing to "earn" something better as a free gift from Cryptic.

The loadout bugs are annoying, but it's so random that I can sympathize with the developers trying to track them down. That isn't giving them a free pass, it just means I won't start foaming at the mouth over them.

Good luck with your idea, but please don't think you speak for "most of us" just because you get a few people to agree with you in the forums. Most of the STO players have never been here and just want to fly around in a starship being captain awesome.
This discussion has been closed.