test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It really does seem like Cryptic just wants people to stop playing

thenoobcamperthenoobcamper Member Posts: 68 Arc User
After all the TRIBBLE that happened through the release of DR (the xp nerf, the killing of the queues) I thought to myself, ok everyone makes mistakes. They will fix everything up and make it fun again in no time.

Then they nerf the XP again. I think to myself, ok thats kinda the wrong way, but w/e maybe they didn't see the forum rage (yeah ok).

Then they nerf mark rewards.... ok so now what, they are just beating a dead horse (the already dead queues) with a nerf stick? Something doesn't make sense. I'm sure they will make this right, right? RIGHT?

Now, after beating the community senseless with the nerf stick, with everyone already pissed off, they nerf the dil weekend, and not only that, but AFTER they announced mark turn in would reward dil, then the DAY OF the patch they change their mind.

For real, have you not put us through enough? Are you intentionally TRYING to murder this game? Is it that much of a burden that you have to go out of your way to TRIBBLE off your customer's?

You have already made this game next to zero fun, I only stick around to get event ships, and event rewards. I really want to play this on a daily basis, but you guys are making it REALLY REALLY hard to do that.

That pretty much stopped with the ridiculous upgrade system you put in place. The system that would be 100% better if it took Half the time and resources it does now to level up research classes. It's not necessary to upgrade, but it does keep the game interesting, if it weren't for insane time it takes.

Sorry I am super fragmented here, just very very frustrated to see cryptic flush a game I love down the toilet.
Post edited by thenoobcamper on

Comments

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Do what I'm doing, play a different game to ween yourself from STO. I spent some nice coin on getting a full collection of Warbirds in this game to play Romulan and when that faction came up short on intel ship offerings I was burned. These things are really turning me off to this game:

* Broken omega mini games.

* Advanced queues that aren't like the original elite stfs before DR. The optional objectives being a requirement in advanced is annoying when it kills the STF.

* Lack of decent intell offerings for KDF and Romulan factions when compared to the number and type of Federation ship offerings since DR hit.

* Extended grinds just to bring gear up past Mark 12 with upgrades that cost huge amounts of dilithium.

* Lack of decent content between story missions when leveling. Just grinding XP, wasn't a problem before DR hit.

* The latest is the changes to the dilithium event that now exclude rep dilithium projects. (Wasn't that way before.)

I got over 7 years of WoW, haven't been here that long but Cryptic/PWE sure isn't doing anything to encourage me to stay.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    @OP

I have been thinking the same myself, but it does not make sense. What makes some sense though is that the code is in shambles, borderline unsalvageable. Symptoms we are having are eagerly pointing that way.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Myself and some people in the fleet were saying about the same thing, it's almost like they want the game to go under.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    After all the TRIBBLE that happened through the release of DR (the xp nerf, the killing of the queues) I thought to myself, ok everyone makes mistakes. They will fix everything up and make it fun again in no time.

Then they nerf the XP again. I think to myself, ok thats kinda the wrong way, but w/e maybe they didn't see the forum rage (yeah ok).

Then they nerf mark rewards.... ok so now what, they are just beating a dead horse (the already dead queues) with a nerf stick? Something doesn't make sense. I'm sure they will make this right, right? RIGHT?

Now, after beating the community senseless with the nerf stick, with everyone already pissed off, they nerf the dil weekend, and not only that, but AFTER they announced mark turn in would reward dil, then the DAY OF the patch they change their mind.

For real, have you not put us through enough? Are you intentionally TRYING to murder this game? Is it that much of a burden that you have to go out of your way to TRIBBLE off your customer's?

You have already made this game next to zero fun, I only stick around to get event ships, and event rewards. I really want to play this on a daily basis, but you guys are making it REALLY REALLY hard to do that.

That pretty much stopped with the ridiculous upgrade system you put in place. The system that would be 100% better if it took Half the time and resources it does now to level up research classes. It's not necessary to upgrade, but it does keep the game interesting, if it weren't for insane time it takes.

Sorry I am super fragmented here, just very very frustrated to see cryptic flush a game I love down the toilet.

I have been keeping my wife up to date about this game since DR including the recent Dil nerf today and her response was, "That's bull****....what are they trying to do?......are they getting rid of the company?"
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They want us to play, they just want us to play in their specifically designed way.

We are to log in and spend hours satisfied with repeatedly playing the same content each day.

We are to build roughly the same DPS ships as everyone else and use a playstyle of 'as aggressively as possible, as quickly as possible,' according to mission design.

We are to compete with each other about who has the biggest DPS numbers, and so fully embrace the upgrade system to keep up with each other and encourage that competitiveness.

We are to embrace power creep and get the newest stuff every 3 months, discarding the obsolete and buying new each cycle.

The stick they keep bringing out isn't to discourage you from playing, its to discourage you from playing incorrectly. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    dabaddabadabaddaba Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's this dil nerf you guys are talking about? Did something happen to the dilithium weekend event or is it something else entirely?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    That's the thing, morale won't improve. People will leave.

They will continue to leave until cryptic is left with only their "whales" and eventually even they will leave because they will have to develop more and more money pits that even the whales will get sick of paying into them.
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    dabaddaba wrote: »
    What's this dil nerf you guys are talking about? Did something happen to the dilithium weekend event or is it something else entirely?

They cut mark and processor trade-ins from the event.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    dabaddaba wrote: »

The bonus no longer applies to turning in marks and special currencies (BNP's, Voth Implants, etc).

The kicker, though, was this change was not reflected in the original blog post about the upcoming event. It was changed as the event hit, which has caused many people to cry foul (among other, less savory things).

It doesn't help that everyone was still sore over numerous other perceived slights by Cryptic since DR's release. This was like slapping a badly sunburned dude on the back - it was bound to make them yelp.
  • Options
    tanthotantho Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    They want us to play, they just want us to play in their specifically designed way.

We are to log in and spend hours satisfied with repeatedly playing the same content each day.

We are to build roughly the same DPS ships as everyone else and use a playstyle of 'as aggressively as possible, as quickly as possible,' according to mission design.

We are to compete with each other about who has the biggest DPS numbers, and so fully embrace the upgrade system to keep up with each other and encourage that competitiveness.

We are to embrace power creep and get the newest stuff every 3 months, discarding the obsolete and buying new each cycle.

The stick they keep bringing out isn't to discourage you from playing, its to discourage you from playing incorrectly. The beatings will continue until morale improves.

LMAO!!! Now that is funny as hell. Sad but true and FUNNY!! :P
  • Options
    captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    +1 on all of this
    nerf.jpg]
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    nimbull wrote: »
    Do what I'm doing, play a different game to ween yourself from STO. I spent some nice coin on getting a full collection of Warbirds in this game to play Romulan and when that faction came up short on intel ship offerings I was burned. These things are really turning me off to this game:

* Broken omega mini games.

* Advanced queues that aren't like the original elite stfs before DR. The optional objectives being a requirement in advanced is annoying when it kills the STF.

* Lack of decent intell offerings for KDF and Romulan factions when compared to the number and type of Federation ship offerings since DR hit.

* Extended grinds just to bring gear up past Mark 12 with upgrades that cost huge amounts of dilithium.

* Lack of decent content between story missions when leveling. Just grinding XP, wasn't a problem before DR hit.

* The latest is the changes to the dilithium event that now exclude rep dilithium projects. (Wasn't that way before.)

I got over 7 years of WoW, haven't been here that long but Cryptic/PWE sure isn't doing anything to encourage me to stay.

what you and others do not relize is they do not care if you stay or not they already got your money. you admitted to buying rommy ships. and as it seems to be your faction of choice ( mine is KDF so i know the feeling) they know they already have all the money you will be spending for the foreseeable future . so they dont care if you leave or not. just search the forums in a few spots where the devs actually respond to this sort of thread. its a well im sorry you dont like it maybe ill see you if you return to the game.

in other words: bye, don't let the door hit you, where the good lord split you.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    borgx666borgx666 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    i love STO, been playing it for 4 half years, put a lot of time/money/effort into the game
    but i am now quickly tiring of:-

bugs - the game is bugged to hell and they seem more interested in new content (bringing them more money) instead of fixing what's broken, they even re-broke some things that were fixed before DR

server instability - getting tired of the lag/rubberbanding and now to top it all i keep getting random game crashes all the time but only since 5th anniversary started

grinding - they really are taking the TRIBBLE now, we have to grind our asses off for just about everything, they really have taken the fun out of this game, its more of a chore to play now than fun

as much as i love it i really am starting to wonder whether its really all worth it anymore :mad:
    Sto%20Final.png
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    That's the thing, morale won't improve. People will leave.

They will continue to leave until cryptic is left with only their "whales" and eventually even they will leave because they will have to develop more and more money pits that even the whales will get sick of paying into them.

Whales won't sustain them.

Whales need other players, they need people to flaunt their gains in front of, people to feel superior to. You create a game base that's made of nothing but Whales and you have no game base at all. They will all leave and go find another game where they can pay for superiority.

The direction Cryptic is moving STO in is a benefit to absolutely no one. The people that run this game are just too damn stupid to see it and when the game goes under and they're out of business no one will feel bad for them.

This game is run by clueless idiots who only care about limiting player progression as much as humanly possible.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    borgx666borgx666 Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Whales won't sustain them.

Whales need other players, they need people to flaunt their gains in front of, people to feel superior to. You create a game base that's made of nothing but Whales and you have no game base at all. They will all leave and go find another game where they can pay for superiority.

The direction Cryptic is moving STO in is a benefit to absolutely no one. The people that run this game are just too damn stupid to see it and when the game goes under and they're out of business no one will feel bad for them.

This game is run by clueless idiots who only care about limiting player progression as much as humanly possible.

the bit marked in red is spot on
    Sto%20Final.png
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    icsairguns wrote: »
    what you and others do not relize is they do not care if you stay or not they already got your money.

Good Thing money is an abstract concept, then ... once you got "the money" ... you'll never need any more of "the money", it's just like Austin Powers "Mojo" ... oh wait ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    borgx666 wrote: »
    i love STO, been playing it for 4 half years, put a lot of time/money/effort into the game
    but i am now quickly tiring of:-

bugs - the game is bugged to hell and they seem more interested in new content (bringing them more money) instead of fixing what's broken, they even re-broke some things that were fixed before DR

server instability - getting tired of the lag/rubberbanding and now to top it all i keep getting random game crashes all the time but only since 5th anniversary started

grinding - they really are taking the TRIBBLE now, we have to grind our asses off for just about everything, they really have taken the fun out of this game, its more of a chore to play now than fun

as much as i love it i really am starting to wonder whether its really all worth it anymore :mad:

i went cold turkey for a month didnt even log in and started playing an old game again Earth and Beyond ( greatly improved from its orginal running 12 years ago) and now i started logging in once a day just to see the inner workings of the nerfs they are implementing on a weekly basis (sure seems that way) but i would not consider myself playing the game again. what i want to do more than anything is just not let the KDF die the death that the devs truly want. at this point i wihs they would just let the entire game die a honorable death but they will milk to the last drop.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    makburemakbure Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The beatings will continue until moral improves!!
    -Makbure
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    edalgo wrote: »
    Well they've succeeded with PvPers.

They pretty much killed PvP with Intel abilities and the neut torp TS3 combo. PvP got turned into the equivalent of a headshots match. Whomever fires first wins.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    These feelings aren't that different from mine.

After the official dev response I forsee this.

1/ Marks no longer give bonus in bonus event so players will migrate their grinding to coincide with the event and less outside (it's what I'm going to do).

2/ Cryptic see's me playing only during the event so remove the event justifying it as not wanting to limit my gametime to events only and therefore making our grind/reward ratio the same all year round.

I've stated already I'm treading water in this game and the kick is I don't even need to do what I'm doing, it's on alts and the omega minigame is really just to improve my gear........for a game I'm not really playing anymore and when I do I do it just fine with my existing gear. The new episodes are going to be the only reason I log in at this rate and I don't really need my LTS for that unless they start monetising log in for silver players.
  • Options
    k4t3k4t3 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What's really sad is that most people don't take any actions when there are changes in games (not just STO) they don't like except of writing some posts on the forums. They still log in and play the game and get more frustrated and some still pay real money for this. Why would someone do this and what do these people think will change when they don't change their own behaviour?

I bet not 1/4 of the people who wrote about how bad DR, this dil event change etc are have quit playing STO (at least for a while) nor will they do.
    :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    k4t3 wrote: »
    What's really sad is that most people don't take any actions when there are changes in games (not just STO) they don't like except of writing some posts on the forums. They still log in and play the game and get more frustrated and some still pay real money for this. Why would someone do this and what do these people think will change when they don't change their own behaviour?

I bet not 1/4 of the people who wrote about how bad DR, this dil event change etc are have quit playing STO (at least for a while) nor will they do.
    :rolleyes:

I used to play this game twice a week. Now the only reason I keep coming back, is for events (i.e winter, summer, mirror (NOT dil)).

The problem is this used to be one of my go to games, I liked it, and I am an ST fan, so this was my fix for that kinda thing. However they have sucked all the fun out of this game now, the only enjoyment I get, is when I get a cool new ship to play.

If they would fix the issues causing the queues to be empty, I would probably be back playing twice a week again. That and, buff the XP, because seriously I feel like I get nowhere fast as it is.

I want this game to succeed, it just seems like Cryptic doesn't.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited February 2015

That last sentence is so sig worthy!

In fact, shazam! ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited February 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    That last sentence is so sig worthy!

In fact, shazam! ;)

Is that your first time ever hearing that? You kids need to get out more often.

OK, now to my reason for posting.....

Is Cryptic required to give bonus dilithium? Ever? Say it out loud and understand that.

During the dilithium bonus they choose to give us are they required to give the bonus the exact way you demand? Again say it out loud and really think about it.

How can you people justify some of these post? They are stealing from us!!!! They are stealing from us!!! They hate us!!!!It is really embarrassing.

Let me give you a real world equivalent. As your boss I decided to be generous and made a company wide announcement that I will double everyone's pay from the following week. Damn that was nice of me! To my surprise you storm in threatening to quit because 'I am stealing from you' because I only doubled your base 40 hours and not the 2 hours of overtime you worked last week.

You people are nerd raging over what amounts to a gift.

To the guy I quoted above, I got another one for you. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Is that your first time ever hearing that? You kids need to get out more often.

OK, now to my reason for posting.....

Is Cryptic required to give bonus dilithium? Ever? Say it out loud and understand that.

During the dilithium bonus they choose to give us are they required to give the bonus the exact way you demand? Again say it out loud and really think about it.

How can you people justify some of these post? They are stealing from us!!!! They are stealing from us!!! They hate us!!!!It is really embarrassing.

Let me give you a real world equivalent. As your boss I decided to be generous and made a company wide announcement that I will double everyone's pay from the following week. Damn that was nice of me! To my surprise you storm in threatening to quit because 'I am stealing from you' because I only doubled your base 40 hours and not the 2 hours of overtime you worked last week.

You people are nerd raging over what amounts to a gift.

To the guy I quoted above, I got another one for you. Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

A poor analogy at best. Try comparing it to your boss reducing how many sick days you have a year, forcing you to work Saturdays but with no overtime pay, lowering your monthly salary, and reducing medical and dental benefits by charging more for premiums over the course of 5 years. Then your boss slowly continues to chip away at your salary and benefits until you no longer make a living wage.

That's what STo has become. The bonuses are fewer and harder to come by and making any sort of dilithium profit is becoming increasingly difficult. Every ounce of extra bonus is being carefully removed with the precision of an accountant bit by bit and patch by patch.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    A poor analogy at best. Try comparing it to your boss reducing how many sick days you have a year, forcing you to work Saturdays but with no overtime pay, lowering your monthly salary, and reducing medical and dental benefits by charging more for premium over the course of 5 years. Then your boss slowly continues to chip away at your salary and benefits until you no longer make a living wage

Found this on Reddit, I believe it applies:
    You are playing a video game, not working job. The point to playing a video game is for entertainment, not to see it as a job and treat it as such. If you are having difficulty finding the separation between the two, I suggest you step away from the game for awhile and find value in other things for a bit.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »

Except that passionate players are sometimes hired by Cryptic to work on STo so to each his own I guess.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    cidjack wrote: »
    You are playing a video game, not working job. The point to playing a video game is for entertainment, not to see it as a job and treat it as such. If you are having difficulty finding the separation between the two, I suggest you step away from the game for awhile and find value in other things for a bit.

The problem isn't players treating it as job ... the problem is DEVs doing it ...

-> A Job is a Job ... if you don't want a 2nd Job ... don't play STO right now ... simple as that ...

There seems to be some silly theory going around, that people don't like STO/DR because they're forcing themselves to play ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
This discussion has been closed.