What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

It really does seem like Cryptic just wants people to stop playing

2»

Comments

• millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    aoax10 wrote: »
    I have been keeping my wife up to date about this game since DR including the recent Dil nerf today and her response was, "That's bull****....what are they trying to do?......are they getting rid of the company?"
    Well, they had the sense to turn a dil weekened into a dil week. That's already leaps and bounds better than what I've heard of the last administration.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • qrtrmstrqrtrmstr Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Again, it's simple math:

Perfect World has figured out a way (in the Asian market) to get players hooked on buying stuff and making it seem like you're making progress on materials to buy/upgrade stuff, all to get us to spend real money. The grinding is an additional tool to that end.

PWE lost the Russian market with all the politics relating to Chrimea (as did Apple, Google and so on)

PWE announces to share holders, annual profits tanked for net loss of over 50% for all of 2014.

PW is has to stop the losses so they cut staff 32% dev teams on Neverwinter and STO (STO's team was at 5 and now sits at 4) which is so pathetically small, they don't have the resources to "pay attention to the details" meaning we'll continue seeing bugs, most of which will never be fixed, this will most likely continue to keep players out.

PW gets pressure from shareholders for a turnaround or face a sell off (bankruptcy) so tells Cryptic to monetize everything, raise the cap on everything, give players a way to reach that cap, but increase the NPC difficulty so if they want to continue being effective and earning marks they MUST upgrade their gear (why're we're seeing the STF queues a ghost town, average players don't have the time or resources to upgrade gear to a level to compete effectively against the hardened AI) this also contributes to player withdrawal and profit loss.

STO is in big trouble...that's what all this says...the previous team went off track so badly that they lost too many players (aka profits) and they are in damage control mode now. Frankly I think they are going about this bass akwards from a business stand point, you don't jack up prices (create new sinks) and hope that brings in cutomers...you have sales, at least that's what you do in the states. You add a ton of new stuff for FREE, take the short term loss to get the players back...THEN you start TRIBBLE around with price, after you have people back playing and hooked in.

The problem is, this is way beyond too late now.

So, what we're gonna see is one of two things.
    1) STO goes into a maintenance mode like Champions and they hope enough players log on and spend enough to keep the lights on....basically they whether the storm for a while and see if the community returns in the future.

2) We see another round of massive sinks thrust upon the remaining players base. In essence admitting things have gone too far wrong that they are no longer interested in salvaging it and are going to milk and squeeze every last dime they can before shutting down (this may even include going back to a 'cheaper than launch' sub model for a short time.

All we can do now is sit and watch and see which way they go.

I would suggest that if even more sinks pop up, and I don't mean like 1 or 2, I mean the amount introduced at DR or more, I wouldn't spend anymore in game (I certainly won't be) because if the latter happens, STO's days are numbered and I mean it's a low number, in the hundreds if we're lucky.

You also have to consider, Branflakes admitted before leaving that the license for STO is up in 2015+1 is the agreement. If they don't turn this around soon, and/or don't feel it will turn around fast enough, they won't renew the license.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,467 Community Moderator
    edited May 2015
    So you necro'd a thread from 3 months ago to say that STO is doomed?
    A: Necro thread.
    B: Lots of assumptions in your post.
    C: 4 people is not enough to run a MMO in any capacity, and neither is 5.
    D: NECRO THREAD!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,615 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    (Lisa needs braces) - Necro thread
    (Dental Plan!) - DOOM!
    (Lisa needs braces) - Necro thread
    (Dental Plan!) - DOOM!
    . . . .
  • leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    You also have to consider, Branflakes admitted before leaving that the license for STO is up in 2015+1 is the agreement. If they don't turn this around soon, and/or don't feel it will turn around fast enough, they won't renew the license.

They simply chose the wrong business model:
    Pay to Win/Play instead of Pay for Quality/Enjoyment.

But I disagree, whales willing to pay for virtual superiority wont vanish that fast. There are simply too many of them ;-P, so the game wont die in the near future

But it'll attract a specific type of player, I do not want to play with.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    qrtrmstr wrote: »
    Again, it's simple math:

Perfect World has figured out a way (in the Asian market) to get players hooked on buying stuff and making it seem like you're making progress on materials to buy/upgrade stuff, all to get us to spend real money. The grinding is an additional tool to that end.

PWE lost the Russian market with all the politics relating to Chrimea (as did Apple, Google and so on)

PWE announces to share holders, annual profits tanked for net loss of over 50% for all of 2014.

PW is has to stop the losses so they cut staff 32% dev teams on Neverwinter and STO (STO's team was at 5 and now sits at 4) which is so pathetically small, they don't have the resources to "pay attention to the details" meaning we'll continue seeing bugs, most of which will never be fixed, this will most likely continue to keep players out.

PW gets pressure from shareholders for a turnaround or face a sell off (bankruptcy) so tells Cryptic to monetize everything, raise the cap on everything, give players a way to reach that cap, but increase the NPC difficulty so if they want to continue being effective and earning marks they MUST upgrade their gear (why're we're seeing the STF queues a ghost town, average players don't have the time or resources to upgrade gear to a level to compete effectively against the hardened AI) this also contributes to player withdrawal and profit loss.

STO is in big trouble...that's what all this says...the previous team went off track so badly that they lost too many players (aka profits) and they are in damage control mode now. Frankly I think they are going about this bass akwards from a business stand point, you don't jack up prices (create new sinks) and hope that brings in cutomers...you have sales, at least that's what you do in the states. You add a ton of new stuff for FREE, take the short term loss to get the players back...THEN you start TRIBBLE around with price, after you have people back playing and hooked in.

The problem is, this is way beyond too late now.

So, what we're gonna see is one of two things.
    1) STO goes into a maintenance mode like Champions and they hope enough players log on and spend enough to keep the lights on....basically they whether the storm for a while and see if the community returns in the future.

2) We see another round of massive sinks thrust upon the remaining players base. In essence admitting things have gone too far wrong that they are no longer interested in salvaging it and are going to milk and squeeze every last dime they can before shutting down (this may even include going back to a 'cheaper than launch' sub model for a short time.

All we can do now is sit and watch and see which way they go.

I would suggest that if even more sinks pop up, and I don't mean like 1 or 2, I mean the amount introduced at DR or more, I wouldn't spend anymore in game (I certainly won't be) because if the latter happens, STO's days are numbered and I mean it's a low number, in the hundreds if we're lucky.

Hey look its the opening shots on this persons doom thread

DOOOM!!

Seriously a situatione of pete and repete here :D
  • mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    to reiterate , i just don't see PW/cryptic shutting down with the star trek 50th being just around the corner...........posting the same mis-leading TRIBBLE in 2 different threads is the equalvant of leaving a burning paper bag filled with dog TRIBBLE on the front porch, ringing the doorbell and running away................

so you kids get off my lawn already,damnit !!!!!!!!!
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    leceter wrote: »
    They simply chose the wrong business model:
    Pay to Win/Play instead of Pay for Quality/Enjoyment.

But I disagree, whales willing to pay for virtual superiority wont vanish that fast. There are simply too many of them ;-P, so the game wont die in the near future

But it'll attract a specific type of player, I do not want to play with.

Players will take free or low-cost over quality any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. The average teenager and general under-25 crowd will spend three or more hours trying to get a movie or an album for free off the web. During that three hours they could have worked a minimum-wage job, bought the album or movie with the proceeds, and had extra cash left over. (Not much, I'll warrant, but some.) Instead, they squander three hours of profitable labor time in order to get something for "free," without understanding the cost. (Sunshine and breathing are free. Everything else comes with a tab.)

And quality? You expect the pursuit of quality in a country where cuisine is boxed mac and cheese? (I'm a citizen of the US by birth and general inclination. We eat too much boxed mac and cheese--and by "we," I mean the rest of you, because I don't. I know how to make the real thing.)

The boards are too full of posters claiming that they're the victims of an abusive relationship with either Cryptic or PWE. (Even one poster would be too many, if you need a number to define the term.) For some reason--most often citing "love of the game"--the same folks continue to complain over and over, instead of just getting out of the abusive relationship.

Apparently they value being a center of attention more than than they value their self-respect or dignity. If you think you're being abused, get out. I'm sure there are other game forums that are missing your daily complaints about how badly that particular game treats its players.
    boldly-watched.png
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sorry, folks... this thread is a necro'd thread.

If you want to continue the conversation, please start a new thread.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.