test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Back after 4 years

jansan3981jansan3981 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
Hi all,

I have not played since a few months past launch. I thought I would come back in to see how things have improved. Anyway, I have an LTS but can't seem to even find the download for the game. Any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks
Post edited by jansan3981 on

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jansan3981 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have not played since a few months past launch. I thought I would come back in to see how things have improved. Anyway, I have an LTS but can't seem to even find the download for the game. Any help there would be appreciated.

Thanks

They hid the download link for the installer because they want you to use PWE's Arc launcher, but the old installer still works. Click the link in my sig, or use Steam if you have it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    you can download the game from the arc client.
    you should be able to find arc somewhere on here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online

and from there, use it (its like steam, only even more annoying because it only has like 10 games on it).

It may also still be available off steam, I am not sure.
  • Options
    ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    An old post, but it still works. A couple of people I know started to use this to get up to date.

http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star%20Trek%20Online.exe

Original thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501

Can also install through Steam or Arc.

Edit: the link I posted is from an official domain and not 3rd party.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • Options
    ussackermanussackerman Member Posts: 275 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    To install the game, you must install their launcher, ARC, first.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news

Blue button in the top right corner.

Once installed go to the Games section, locate STO and click to download.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks. I had the Arc loaded and clicked on Play for Free but curser just spins a couple times and nothing happens.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    These days, you need Ark to download STO, or Steam.

Ark is Perfect Worlds attempt at making their own platform for their games, but if you don't use other PWE games, I would ignore it, and head on over to Steam.
    Also, I've seen... Unusual data transfers when I have Arc installed... I generally don't reccomend it.

Alternatively, if someone can find it, theres a download for a standalone client. (Edit: starswordc has it in his/her signature)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    jasonl21jasonl21 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    An old post, but it still works. A couple of people I know started to use this to get up to date.

http://files.startrekonline.com/launcher/Star%20Trek%20Online.exe

Original thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=505501

Can also install through Steam or Arc.

Edit: the link I posted is from an official domain and not 3rd party.

Go with this post.

The only good thing about Arc is how it used for redeeming some codes now.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks all. It is patching now.

Does anyone know if I get anything for being LTS for these past 5 years? I bought the LTS back at the end of beta testing.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks all. It is patching now.

Does anyone know if I get anything for being LTS for these past 5 years? I bought the LTS back at the end of beta testing.

Might have a huge pile of Zen stipend waiting for you.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I will check once the DL is complete. Hope for something .. better than nothing. :)
  • Options
    starbreeze0starbreeze0 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ok 1, not to derail OP but eff you cryptic, ive been a lifer since almost begining and not being be able to create my own thread is BS! I can only post replies to already created threads, so this is it.

2 Cryptic fix your effin game, rubber banding ESD is TRIBBLE and completely unprofessional for a game of any level, it rubberbands ESD and ESD space to the point of i cant get anywhere

and again sorry OP this is meant for crytpic or whatever a holes are running (er ruining) this game

and I def joined this game long before jan 2015....way to keep up on members.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I will check once the DL is complete. Hope for something .. better than nothing. :)

The game has changed and grown a lot since then.

Don't be surprised if everything is laggy the first day, however - apparently the Anniversary Event and the related patch brought us some unusual problems. If it aren't outright bugs that are causing this, it amy that the new mini-game for the anniversary and it taking place in the major social zones in a time where lots of people go back to the game to see what there is new for the Anniversary (among other things, a "free" starship - free as in you need to work for it, but not pay money, Zen or Dilithium for it) is too much. Still, it's worse than on other major releases, at least in my memory.

But I suspect the download will take long enough that the worst may have passed by then already. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks. Moving along 31% of the patch. Of course this may just be the first file. Says 10GB. Don't know if that is the whole thing.
  • Options
    originalspockoriginalspock Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am slightly curious how big of moud of zen there is lol. I also recommend asking around before youjust buy any ship bbecause the ship you ultimately choose can have consoles equiped from other unique ships. There is after all a difference between what looks good vs what plays best vs what your play style is.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Looks like I came back on a bad day. :) I am currious myself on the Zen. I'll let you know. I'll probably just spend some time doing the intro stuff again will certainly ask around before buying anything.
  • Options
    pigeonofclaypigeonofclay Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Jansan,

Keep us informed. I'm curious to see if your old characters are still there, and how long it will take to just update them with the changes that have occurred in 4 years (levels went from 52 to 50, skill-tree change, R&D system change (1, 2, & 3) ). It may take your character 15 minutes just to update those!

PS> Oh, wait! What with the "Password Debacle" of about 2 years ago, it's possible you no longer can access those.

Waiting to see what the news is.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Just a word of advice the best current investments are T6 ships as they will have fleet versions eventually and the Tier 5 ships will likely have T6 versions. So keep in mind if you see something at T5 you like, there will probably be a T6 down the line you will want to save a big pile of zen for instead of spending it on other ships to just fill your garage space.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    5 years of LTS Zen rewards...you should have around 30,000 Zen give or take. Do some research before you buy anything and spend wisely. That's a nice chunk of Zen.

Some suggestions would to get a couple of the T6 ships. The Rommies have a good one, the Feds have 2-3 decent ones for traits and KDF...well, its the KDF. You'll want to get EC so things like ship upgrade tokens and fleet ship modules sell pretty well but check the exchange. If you play it right, you could get enough EC to not even bother with keys/opening boxes and can buy some decent ships on the exchange.

Get the BOP for KDF with the plasmonic leech and if you do open boxes, do the Romulan ones to get the leech for fed characters. Any extras will net you a huge chunk of EC. Orher than that, invest in some account bank space once or twice.

Don't waste the Zen on frivilous things like uniforms or the bundle packs. Those tend to have stuff thats just extra junk with a few exceptions. If you do the research, you can come out geared really well for the new content.

Sell some Zen on the exchange for dilithium. You're gonna need some for rep projects. The dil sinks are all over the place these days. Its pretty annoying.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am slightly curious how big of moud of zen there is lol. I also recommend asking around before youjust buy any ship bbecause the ship you ultimately choose can have consoles equiped from other unique ships. There is after all a difference between what looks good vs what plays best vs what your play style is.

I hope he even got any - who knows if the monthly Zen reward even works correctly if the account wasn't touched since before the F2P release!

If not, I would definitely recommend filing a support ticket!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Some real advice: dont bother to patch...come back in another 4 years and ask again if this game still around.

You will be happier and avoid lots of frustration. The game has gone from bad to worst but just my opinion...others will disagree but to each its own :P
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Run.. run far and run fast.

Seriously, save yourself a lot of headache and don't come back. The game has devolved into a bug riddled cash grab run by developers that don't care one bit about the players.

Run away.. save yourself.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Some real advice: dont bother to patch...come back in another 4 years and ask again if this game still around.

You will be happier and avoid lots of frustration. The game has gone from bad to worst but just my opinion...others will disagree but to each its own :P

And yet you are still here...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Run.. run far and run fast.

Seriously, save yourself a lot of headache and don't come back. The game has devolved into a bug riddled cash grab run by developers that don't care one bit about the players.

Run away.. save yourself.

And you are here too...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And you are here too...

Yeah, keep holding out faith it will get better.

Today just might be the last straw though.

Honesty, all hate aside.. if you have not been playing for 4 years, at this point in time you can honestly find better games then this one. You would be better off investing your time in a newer game with better support then on an older game that's quite possibly entering it's final stretch.

STO has been a great game for the last 5 years, and I have really enjoyed it up to this point. It was my favorite game for years and some of the content is absolutely brilliant. Sadly though, the quality standard is decreasing as time goes on and right now I would not advise someone to join up and play the game. I honestly wish my opinion was different, but it's not.

Give it a try for yourself, see what you think. Honestly, until you hit about level 50, you will have a blast.
  • Options
    lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Honesty, all hate aside.. if you have not been playing for 4 years, at this point in time you can honestly find better games then this one. You would be better off investing your time in a newer game with better support then on an older game that's quite possibly entering it's final stretch.

STO has been a great game for the last 5 years, and I have really enjoyed it up to this point. It was my favorite game for years and some of the content is absolutely brilliant. Sadly though, the quality standard is decreasing as time goes on and right now I would not advise someone to join up and play the game. I honestly wish my opinion was different, but it's not.

Give it a try for yourself, see what you think. Honestly, until you hit about level 50, you will have a blast.

True enough, I guess. I was coming at it from the angle that he bought an LTS years ago and Cryptic has been giving him stipends the whole time ( hopefully). Everything you said is true but him getting all that stuff for basically not playing kinda flips the table on who's gouging who with STO. Its basically a load of free Zen for him to mess around with. In time, he'll get how wrecked the game has gotten as he flies aroundin free shinies for a month or so.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    True enough, I guess. I was coming at it from the angle that he bought an LTS years ago and Cryptic has been giving him stipends the whole time ( hopefully). Everything you said is true but him getting all that stuff for basically not playing kinda flips the table on who's gouging who with STO. Its basically a load of free Zen for him to mess around with. In time, he'll get how wrecked the game has gotten as he flies aroundin free shinies for a month or so.

Ah, I didn't catch that he was lifetime.

If he is, then yeah.. try to get your moneys worth for sure.

lored2death's advice is solid, at least give it a try.

Good luck on your return!
  • Options
    edited January 2015

The difference between me and lots of people who criticized Cryptic is that I already knew and recognized do to their small size and experience they would never match the thousand staff capacity of Blizzard or be able to recover from downturns and slumps as easily as a larger company. Some trains can afford to stop and change broken wheels and others need to fix moving wheels while moving on the tracks. Cryptic must keep things going, it's not a question of want but need. When the servers aren't rubberbanding rarely in high population areas that is a bad thing , because it means the population is greater then hardware. Sure in games like WOW it's bad but that's only because Blizzard can AFFORD the infrastructure, I think Cryptic gets paid decently but not a Blizzard check , so there are sacrifices that need to be made and I am ok with that. I would like better , but I have already seen the worst (Perpetual Entertainment) and I am genuinely thankful for what we have. I payed attention to STOs development since 2004 back when Hailing Frequencies was reporting only defunct startrek mods and role play for second life. People around here have a serious case of grass is greener on the otherside. I am also not saying there isn't more entertaining games , however none of them have star trek stories and star trek community. Also contrary to some people's beliefs I thinkthe Devs try hard to make Iit feel like trek even when finance and investers say do something else.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I've got 21,175 ZEN. I must have spent some in that first year after launch before I stopped playing.

9804 Refined Dilithium and my character is lvl 17.

Anyway, I'll give it a go over the next week.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Jansan
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    The difference between me and lots of people who criticized Cryptic is that I already knew and recognized do to their small size and experience they would never match the thousand staff capacity of Blizzard or be able to recover from downturns and slumps as easily as a larger company. Some trains can afford to stop and change broken wheels and others need to fix moving wheels while moving on the tracks. Cryptic must keep things going, it's not a question of want but need. When the servers aren't rubberbanding rarely in high population areas that is a bad thing , because it means the population is greater then hardware. Sure in games like WOW it's bad but that's only because Blizzard can AFFORD the infrastructure, I think Cryptic gets paid decently but not a Blizzard check , so there are sacrifices that need to be made and I am ok with that. I would like better , but I have already seen the worst (Perpetual Entertainment) and I am genuinely thankful for what we have. I payed attention to STOs development since 2004 back when Hailing Frequencies was reporting only defunct startrek mods and role play for second life. People around here have a serious case of grass is greener on the otherside. I am also not saying there isn't more entertaining games , however none of them have star trek stories and star trek community. Also contrary to some people's beliefs I thinkthe Devs try hard to make Iit feel like trek even when finance and investers say do something else.

Fair points, I'm just not in the right frame of mind today.

The last two days has been nothing but constantly lagging servers and features like the mini game that simply doesn't work.

The game still has a lot going for it, it's kept me entertained for years and I'm the type that normally plays a game for a month tops. I just hope they get everything sorted out because I really want to get back to loving this game. I think I just need to chill out on it for a few days and let my blood pressure return to normal because the last 48 hours with this game have been a nightmare. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Fair points, I'm just not in the right frame of mind today.

The last two days has been nothing but constantly lagging servers and features like the mini game that simply doesn't work.

The game still has a lot going for it, it's kept me entertained for years and I'm the type that normally plays a game for a month tops. I just hope they get everything sorted out because I really want to get back to loving this game. I think I just need to chill out on it for a few days and let my blood pressure return to normal because the last 48 hours with this game have been a nightmare. :D

I won't deny being somewhat of a hardcore scimitard rolling in fleet ultra rares but... I find my best gameplay experience comes from using STO as a relaxing palette cleanser after I go hardcore in battlefield and other heavy duty twitch based games. I think the more you focus on any single game the more the flaws become more evident and frustrating every time they appear. I also come from a background of exploiting bugs and I already saw the glitches in STO as being the norm for it's weight class.