test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone Else Completely Underwhelmed by the Final Giveaway?

2»

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,435 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    renner64 wrote: »
    Its the same 2 ships they gave last time ...
    No. No, in fact, it is not. The Fed ship is the same as was given away last time, because they want to have something for people to buy at Tier 2 and there's only one ship there they haven't given out yet, but neither the Klingon nor the Romulan ship had ever been given out before. (In point of fact, they had never given a Rom ship away before.)

And even if they had, so what? Do you go to Costco, and yell at the ladies handing out the free samples because you bought whatever it was last week? Do you complain at work because they keep giving you the same kind of currency every time?

Why is it so hard to just be happy they're still here, and doing well enough to give things away from the C-Store? Maybe even be happy for those who didn't have some of the stuff? (I for one didn't have the ships or the Formal Clothing before. I got the Motionless Picture pajamas last time they gave it away, but not everyone did, so it's nice that they get it now too.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    No. No, in fact, it is not. The Fed ship is the same as was given away last time, because they want to have something for people to buy at Tier 2 and there's only one ship there they haven't given out yet, but neither the Klingon nor the Romulan ship had ever been given out before. (In point of fact, they had never given a Rom ship away before.)

And even if they had, so what? Do you go to Costco, and yell at the ladies handing out the free samples because you bought whatever it was last week? Do you complain at work because they keep giving you the same kind of currency every time?

Why is it so hard to just be happy they're still here, and doing well enough to give things away from the C-Store? Maybe even be happy for those who didn't have some of the stuff? (I for one didn't have the ships or the Formal Clothing before. I got the Motionless Picture pajamas last time they gave it away, but not everyone did, so it's nice that they get it now too.)

It's probably a false equivalency to compare a one time buy digital item with no competitive standard of pricing (food at a grocery store is kept at its price via demand multiple brands etc but cash shops in MMOs designed around niche franchises not so much) to food products or a pay check. That being said it dies seem weird to be let down about a free thing.

Honestly though, I was. I keep checking the website on a weekly basis at least for something to get me interested in the game. I played for two years straight via sub, quit when the p2w became apparent ( though they did take their time to it) and played again around LoR. It's not the game. It's cryptic regularly finding someway to look overtly greedy and TRIBBLE me off. I'm not looking for some lecture in economics BTW, I pay for my games. I just don't like being taken for a fool either.

Why was the giveaway depressing? Not because it was free or that they were necessarily bad items but that there was nothing new that made me want to play. The anniversary ship doesn't count. A grind isn't free it's a second job posing as a video game.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was planning on buying the last giveaway 'someday'. lol I already had all of the ships. But I duly logged in and reacquired them on my chars which did not have them. I like free stuff. Because it is free. So what if I already have it? I can always use more free stuff. There quite a few players who do not have any of the items given away. If I cannot be happy for myself, I certainly can be happy for those players.

A nice gesture on the part of Cryptic should not be looked down on simply because it isn't the stuff I would prefer them to give away.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • aikuchiiaikuchii Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I get that it's free. Yeah, I get that it's anniversary celebration. But to be honest, I was expecting at least a T5 ship like last year. Instead... Um... Yeah...
    Some people should read more than the headline.

I was not disappointed, angry, or anything. Free is free.
    But it felt weird to have a costume as the last gift, and not a ship. Usually giveaway goes crescendo, and culminate by the most expensive gift. Not this time, however.

I'm pretty sure someone will get it wrong, and twist my word in "I want to have a ship, I'm so mad", but I hope some people will understand what we really mean.
    When Captain James T. Kirk took the Enterprise out, it was originally scheduled for a five-year mission, so five years has a pretty big significance in Star Trek lore. Seeing Star Trek Online mark a date of five years of live operations is a cause for celebration unlike any other year, and this anniversary we are pulling out all the stops.

From what Cryptic keeps saying is that the fact it is the five year anniversary and it is a very BIG deal, I kinda expected it to be the giveaway of all giveaways, like something that we wouldn't see unless the game lasted another five years, something special. But instead the gave you a crafting box that only one of your Captains can have, two ground outfits(fitting since most players come to STO for the space and not ground{though I will admit it has gotten better, the battle grounds are great}), and a T2 ship that they gave away already last year. I don't blame people for being underwhelmed.
    What I don't understand even more is why they didn't give away a bunch of T5 ships since they are all now basically useless, and if people wanted to make them usable they would still have to shell out the money to PW for the upgrade so it isn't like they would loose money buy doing it.
  • aikuchiiaikuchii Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also wasn't all of the giveaway weeks in the past five days long? Yet for the Fifth Anniversary they gave something away for only four days.