test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone Else Completely Underwhelmed by the Final Giveaway?

hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
Yeah, I get that it's free. Yeah, I get that it's anniversary celebration. But to be honest, I was expecting at least a T5 ship like last year. Instead... Um... Yeah...

><
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
Post edited by hereticknight085 on

Comments

• flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It was an item (or items) for free. Would I have liked a T5 (or even, a T6) ship? Sure. Am I underwhelmed by free gifts? No, not really. I'm content with what they gave us. I think it would have been really optimistic for anyone (including myself) to expect a free T5 ship at the end of a three-day event.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am. It's not that I'm complaining, it's just so "meh". Former giveaways were much more thrilling, somehow. I git even one of my main ships from a giveaway (it's upgraded now and all, but still, the Nebula was a freebie :) ).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i prefer the lower tier ships, actually. i find the various consoles can be quite useful (and arent ship-bound) and they give lower level toons something other than the freebie to fly.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Well I wasn't complaining so much as feeling meh, like targ. And on a positive note, at least kharma is getting revenge on my ingratitude by not even letting me load into the game. I can't even get to the account server, I'm stuck on a loading screen. XD
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I got a free R&D pack, 3 free T2 ships, a costume unlock, and will get a free T6 ship later on.

No, I'm not underwhelmed. Thanks Cryptic. And thanks one more time for the Winter ships, I'm having a lot of fun flying the free Breen carrier.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I get that it's free. Yeah, I get that it's anniversary celebration. But to be honest, I was expecting at least a T5 ship like last year. Instead... Um... Yeah...

><

The celebration takes a long time and who's to say this is the only give away.
    But having said that, this 3-day give away wasn't bad. Though i already had the RI, the other consoles are quite useful.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    The celebration takes a long time and who's to say this is the only give away.
    But having said that, this 3-day give away wasn't bad. Though i already had the RI, the other consoles are quite useful.

Except that they said in the news blog that it was the final give-away. I was just comparing it to an already existing standard (last year's giveaway), which is actually quite high since the previous one was actually quite nice.

That being said, this years one, yes, I got a bunch of things I didn't already have (except the Rhode Island... I dunno if they remembered but they gave that exact same ship away last year), but I was expecting a tad more. You would have figured I'd know by now, don't expect much of anything XD
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I like it as it was an item kinda on my list to buy later on. So I can dress in style. I was thinking we would get the Kamarag or the T5 Intrepid. Hey, its free. So I will take it and make use out of it.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is "better" stuff nicer? Sure, but we can't complain. Free stuff is always nice and we can be thankful. The devs after all didn't have to give anything away.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This final uniform was the one that was most appealing to me out of what was available, though it's highly unlikely I would have bought it as there are so many other things to spend Zen on, so I'm definitely happy with it.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Yeah Craptic, I hate Free stuff :mad:
    GwaoHAD.png
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Im not going to bother claiming it. Completely useless for non-Fed characters.
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They give us stuff for free and still people complain! Oh well, no pleasing some people!
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sinn74 wrote: »

Works on my female klingon, and I've seen Gorn walking around wearing the suit.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    Yeah Craptic, I hate Free stuff :mad:
    They give us stuff for free and still people complain! Oh well, no pleasing some people!
    Some people should read more than the headline.

I was not disappointed, angry, or anything. Free is free.
    But it felt weird to have a costume as the last gift, and not a ship. Usually giveaway goes crescendo, and culminate by the most expensive gift. Not this time, however.

I'm pretty sure someone will get it wrong, and twist my word in "I want to have a ship, I'm so mad", but I hope some people will understand what we really mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Everyone can wear it, on any faction. And my Ferengi's looking pretty natty in his pinstripe suit, commanding his Risian cruiser. (By sheer coincidence, while I was claiming the costume and getting the toon dressed, the radio was playing ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man".)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It seems it's just another item I already own. ;)

I still wonder what I shall do with that Delta Flyer Promo Unlock I got in a different promotion. I wish I could gift it away or something. Turn it into an item I can send to stolovia or something like that.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited January 2015

au contraire. both the kdf potatohead boff and the kdf kobali boff wear feddie uniforms :confused:
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Let's be honest guys, regarding these C-Store giveaways. Did you guys REALLY THINK that Cryptic was going to give out good, relevant endgame C-Store stuff for free? You think they were going to give, say, a Tempest, Scimitar, maybe even a T6 ship for free?

What were you REALLY expecting?

Once you figured that out, knowing Cryptic, did you REALLY think they were going to give that away?

Personally, C-Store giveaways are mostly irrelevant to me since I made many of those purchases over the years in this game. The only thing that they gave away this time that I didn't have was the TMP Pajamas. I still claimed it for the sake of completing my Starfleet uniform options that completely dwarfs what you could possibly have with the KDF or Roms (Oh damn). But I didn't expect them to give away something truly nice like any of the good endgame C-Store ships.

I'm a realist and a jaded STO player. I knew that was not going to happen.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited January 2015
    Let's be honest guys, regarding these C-Store giveaways. Did you guys REALLY THINK that Cryptic was going to give out good, relevant endgame C-Store stuff for free? You think they were going to give, say, a Tempest, Scimitar, maybe even a T6 ship for free?

What were you REALLY expecting?

Once you figured that out, knowing Cryptic, did you REALLY think they were going to give that away?

Personally, C-Store giveaways are mostly irrelevant to me since I made many of those purchases over the years in this game. The only thing that they gave away this time that I didn't have was the TMP Pajamas. I still claimed it for the sake of completing my Starfleet uniform options that completely dwarfs what you could possibly have with the KDF or Roms (Oh damn). But I didn't expect them to give away something truly nice like any of the good endgame C-Store ships.

I'm a realist and a jaded STO player. I knew that was not going to happen.

Well, I won't make guesses on what kind of stuff they give away and what not. They gave us brand new Tier 6 ships in the Winter Event and now on the Anniversary (but you still need to grind for them). SO a lot is possible.

I get the impression they probably offer the items least asked for (though I can't believe that was true for the Rhode Island - it's a fine ship. of course, it's just TIer 2, so maybe it's still not that popular, because if you're Tier 2, you don't need a Refit.)

of course, considering we now got TIer 6 ships and Tier 5 ships have a Zen-costing upgrade option, I would almost say that any ship up to Tier 5 could be fair game.

But... I am not convinced that ships are the best giveaways. Sure, it looks generous, but do you need a ship Cryptic has chosen randomly for you? Chances are, you don't.
    But outside of ships, I think it's hard to find the right item. I actually think an R&D Box was so far the most practically useful thing to give.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Everyone can wear it, on any faction. And my Ferengi's looking pretty natty in his pinstripe suit, commanding his Risian cruiser. (By sheer coincidence, while I was claiming the costume and getting the toon dressed, the radio was playing ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man".)
    Nice, I loled. Let's be honest, though: what would your Ferengi think of being called a man. I think most would take offence, being lumped in with a bunch of Hu-mans.

I must say, I'm pretty happy the final item isn't taking up a precious Ship Slot, and it is The costume that I've wanted for the longest without actually buying it. Almost went for it during the last Sale, glad I didn't now.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    bejaymac wrote: »
    Works on my female klingon, and I've seen Gorn walking around wearing the suit.

Maybe instead of "useless," I should have said "pointless?"

Klingons and Gorn in cheesy 21st Century Earth clothes.../facepalm
    edited January 2015
    bergins wrote: »
    Nice, I loled. Let's be honest, though: what would your Ferengi think of being called a man. I think most would take offence, being lumped in with a bunch of Hu-mans.

Man is not the same as human.

And a Ferengi would probably not speak actual English and rely on his Universal Translator, and probably hear it was talking about a well dressed male representative of his species, and he'd associate with that.

Of course, if he'd actually spoke English, he'd probably translate it just the same...

It's not like I would object to being called a man just because I am not an American or British or Canadian (*insert all the other countries where English is spoken as first language*) male.
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Some people should read more than the headline.

I was not disappointed, angry, or anything. Free is free.
    But it felt weird to have a costume as the last gift, and not a ship. Usually giveaway goes crescendo, and culminate by the most expensive gift. Not this time, however.

I'm pretty sure someone will get it wrong, and twist my word in "I want to have a ship, I'm so mad", but I hope some people will understand what we really mean.

At least somebody got what I was saying. Thank you sir.
  • gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What I don't understand is how this set of contemporary clothes is supposed to be related to Star Trek to begin with.
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Truth be told I liked the first day... the R&D pack was something I could use no matter what I've previously bought, and didn't make a huge impact on their bottom line.

After that the give aways were kind of meh... but they were free so I can't complain to bad... but would have it broken their bank to instead give us 1 free lock box key, maybe a respec token for free... or other services that anyone can and has used instead of costumes and ships that no one buys anymore.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Final? We have one more free gift coming our way.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • johnchrightonjohnchrighton Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I for one was excited and now my Vulcan has a noce suite and tie loosely resembles my real suit and tie.
    Headlong into mystery
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    to be honest i think the giveaways were just fine , the point is its a another yr and they celebrate by giving a little something to the players . im not disappointed or expectant in what they give away .
    im more bothered of things that dont work . than anything that they give away in the store .