What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Bridge Officer Training Revamp Feedback Thread

Comments

• kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sigh...

Well whomever is reviewing this feature, I would make this point for them:

If a player can craft ALL of the rare level 3 Command and Intel skills, why can't they craft all of the Sci/Tac/Eng abilities as well?
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    erei1 wrote: »

As far as I know, there are no other mean to acquire dil at low level, other than the quizz, or opening box.

Reputation...for 50 marks (?) turned in is 500dil with a wait time of 10 secs (?). Easy as pie.

I don't have access to Tribble but how does the new interface mechanic work with loadouts?
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,669 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    One feature that will not be finished when the system goes live is the handling of rare abilities that can only be obtained from rare bridge officers (randomly generated or special mission rewards). We are still working on this feature and will provide more information on it in the future. For the moment though we wanted to inform the community that if they already have these rare bridge officers or obtain any in the future to not delete them. Make sure to keep them and once this feature is complete it will allow players to train other bridge officers with those rare abilities. The details on how this feature will function is still under review and development.

Well, at least that is slightly better than "If you have any Boff's you were saving for this purpose you should use them now before the system goes live." I'm still going to be disappointed if there's a rare ability or abilities I want to put on new BOffs (say, Aux2SIF3 on a Command/Engineering BOff for a new Command ship or Torp Spread 3 and CSV 3 on a Command/Tactical BOff) that I can't do to this limitation, which might make me hesitant to buy or grind for said ship.

As for the grind 11 points and then make an old BOff into Command, it'd be a good long while before that happens under the best of circumstances, and my interest in that potential ship is likely to have waned by then (I.E. I wouldn't buy or grind for it).
  • rickytserickytse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks everyone who provided feedback and informed us about any bugs you might have found when testing on Tribble. The team has been working hard to polish the system before it goes live and your responses have been very helpful. In particular from player feedback we made sure that the Training Manuals had their own easy to search categories within the Exchange. We also lowered the Dilithium cost and Time required to create the PADD component which is needed for crafting the High End Training Manuals.

One feature that will not be finished when the system goes live is the handling of rare abilities that can only be obtained from rare bridge officers (randomly generated or special mission rewards). We are still working on this feature and will provide more information on it in the future. For the moment though we wanted to inform the community that if they already have these rare bridge officers or obtain any in the future to not delete them. Make sure to keep them and once this feature is complete it will allow players to train other bridge officers with those rare abilities. The details on how this feature will function is still under review and development.

Thanks,

Mike “Warpdust” McTyre
    System Designer
    Star Trek Online

has the buggy "Any civilian or officer" gone ?
    i can't craft any of the top level manuals just because lacking of "any officer".
    am i able to craft those Level III manuals now ?
    i know you guys will implant more skill manuals in the future, but if i can't even craft any of them. then it's just useless, and just for my eyes only.
    am i still a tester now? or just previewing what u guys will implant to this game?
    edited January 2015
    is my issue just a character or account related bug?
    or is that bug happen on all you guys here?
    maybe u think i'm just new in here. (bcuz of my joining time and forum rank?)

but i can tell u that,
    i had walked on the very first version of ESD, which is not even look like a starbase.
    i've start my account in the days that many trekkies thought this game was worthless.
    i see this game changes throughout these years.
    i'm participating in not just Holodeck, but also Tribble, Redshirt and 0.8 Foundry

i'm really appreciate with the training manual concept.
    but if i just can't craft any of those manuals to train my BOffs,
    which are just easily being done by clicking on the "Train Officer" button now on Holodeck.
    then i just can't see the benefit on this new training system.

as a tester, i'm really disappointed with your dev team.
    Just posting a conclusion here, and just answer to those tester whom concern with the unreleased manuals (rare skills) which should be released by now. And not even answer to our bug reports.

are u guys really reviewing our bug reports?
    i have already seen the Holodeck pre-patched to this buggy version,
    did that mean the bugs won't being fixed until it completely patched to Holodeck?
    and just need me to fill out a formal bug report on the Holodeck, rather than fix it on Tribble?

sorry for my bad english, cause this really not my main language.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks everyone who provided feedback and informed us about any bugs you might have found when testing on Tribble. The team has been working hard to polish the system before it goes live and your responses have been very helpful. In particular from player feedback we made sure that the Training Manuals had their own easy to search categories within the Exchange. We also lowered the Dilithium cost and Time required to create the PADD component which is needed for crafting the High End Training Manuals.

Thanks,

Mike “Warpdust” McTyre
    System Designer
    Star Trek Online

for most players this is EXTREMELY important and needs to be sorted out BEFORE it goes live
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I...I don't think it's possible to fail any harder than this.

How long do we have to wait this time? As long as we did secondary deflectors? I mean, how hard is it to figure out a solution to this? Here's some.
    • Add them as a doff reward for "teaching" at the academy. They can be crit rewards, or drop from rare assignments.
    • Disperse them among mission episodes as rewards.
    • Tie them to accolades that will unlock for characters under officer training school.
    • Add them to the ground loot tables as a rare drop.
    • Add advanced career trainers in the game that requires players to complete a series of tasks to qualify to train these abilities to their officers.

There. It's a start. Anyone else have any ideas? Seems we gotta get the ball rolling for Cryptic here. :rolleyes:
    edited January 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    I...I don't think it's possible to fail any harder than this.

How long do we have to wait this time? As long as we did secondary deflectors? I mean, how hard is it to figure out a solution to this? Here's some.
    • Add them as a doff reward for "teaching" at the academy. They can be crit rewards, or drop from rare assignments.
    • Disperse them among mission episodes as rewards.
    • Tie them to accolades that will unlock for characters under officer training school.
    • Add them to the ground loot tables as a rare drop.
    • Add advanced career trainers in the game that requires players to complete a series of tasks to qualify to train these abilities to their officers.

There. It's a start. Anyone else have any ideas? Seems we gotta get the ball rolling for Cryptic here. :rolleyes:

one more, maybe they're trying to add those manuals to the C-Store.
    u know, that's the way they make money from us.
    ask us to buy things that should already be in our inventory.
    edited January 2015
    too late, this already made the main forum and is spreading like a plasma fire in game.... people are getting the pitchforks.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    Reputation...for 50 marks (?) turned in is 500dil with a wait time of 10 secs (?). Easy as pie.

I don't have access to Tribble but how does the new interface mechanic work with loadouts?

the new interface just not work with your current loadouts
    it just mess up your skill tray, and if u select to load a loadout.
    then really sorry for that, u'll get a blank skill tray.:cool:

and also, you have to re-assign your ship's station tab, which is also blank with the new interface.

i don't know if these bugs happen to all tester or just me.
    since i'm not even able to craft any of the high-end manuals.:o
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thanks everyone for providing Feedback and letting us know about any bugs you are encountering as both are very helpful hear. :)

Class Training Manuals - It is a bug that players currently have recipes for other class training manuals. This will be fixed in the next patch. A Tactical player should not have Science and Engineering training manual recipes exposed to them.

Rare Boff Abilities - When the system is released it will retrain any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with (so if a player accidentally untrained a rare ability, they will get it back on that Boff). We are also planning on releasing those Rare Abilities as Training Manuals in the future but we have not determined the method on it yet.

Traits - Boff Traits should not be affected at all by this update. Please report any bugs that you find.

Boff Training - With the release of this new system we will no longer be supporting the old functionality of consuming a Boff to train another in an ability. If you have any Boff's you were saving for this purpose you should use them now before the system goes live. We will also no longer be supporting players being able to directly train Boffs for free in an ability. Going forward all Boff training will be consistent and require the use of Training Manuals.

Dilithium Cost - Just to be clear on this cost any Training Manual that you purchase from the Boff Trainer (which is the vast majority of them) do not require Dilithium. You will only need to spend Dilithium for the high end abilities that must be crafted. We are evaluating the exact amount of Dilithium required to create the PADD component though and appreciate hearing feedback from the community before making a final decision.

Thanks,

Mike "Warpdust" McTyre
    Systems Designer
    Star Trek Online

For God's sake, finish the damn system before you release it to Holodeck, because based on prior performance (New Romulus, secondary deflectors, non-RNG-based crafting, upgrading kit modules), you're likely never going to get it done. I'm pretty sure I had to retrain the commander engineer on all three of my ships and I do not want to wait around while you muck about for a year getting your act together.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited January 2015
    since none of us asked for or wanted this system, we can all wait till you actually finish it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Great, glad to hear it.

Then, bluntly, don't release it yet.

The promise of this system is high but not if in doing so you are carving out 'rare' skills as simply some kind of special snowflake you're figuring out for actual deployment strategies at a later date. This doesn't garner trust, interest or acceptance; quite the contrary.

BOFFS already have rarities in the 'chassis' of traits that make them up.

You're itemizing the skills and training structure to be more systemically intelligent, standardized and consistent. These are all good things.

BOFF skils need _no rarity_ to be useful or worthwhile going forward and any pleas to the contrary are solely about recouping prior investment on securing something rare in the marketplace.

Delaying these from working just like all the other skills, but at an appropriately higher price point, is going to decidedly impede the solution being deployed from being positively received and for good reason.

These have been steps in the right direction for the game overall but that is extremely difficult to find a justification case for from where I sit.
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm glad to hear you actually plan on readding the rare abilities back and having a n old/new traing mechanic back.

I have made sure to train all those abilities on all chars, so I don't care too much, but you should finish it asap (since it won't be done for the live release, obviously) for other players.

Currently on Tribble, there's still the problem of some characters apparently missing any doffs that would satisfy the criteria to craft training manuals, despite having hundreds of doffs. That's a grave bug.

There's also a problem of unique boffs coming with no learned abilities, if you had them claimed previously and stored in inventory or among the other Boff candidates. To put it clearly, non-unique Boff candidates lack any abilities on mouseover. Those unique Boff candidates (Voth Nelen Exil, Jem'hadar Boff, ...) actually show the appropriate abilities on mouseover, but when you have them join your crew, they lose the abilities and have none.
    BUT, if you discharge them and get the canditates anew (Nelen from the rep store, for instance), they'll actually keep the advertised abilities upon joining. I have no clue if that's only limited to Tribble and is due to the transfer from holodeck. But it could be a pain if it works the same on live. Because all the unique candidates people have will be useless and some of the Boffs aren't easily reclaimable (Reman and Breen only on Featured mission replas, for instance).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rare Boff Abilities - When the system is released it will retrain any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with (so if a player accidentally untrained a rare ability, they will get it back on that Boff).

Wait, wut?! Revert existing boff abilities?! That is totally unacceptable!

Has it ever occured to you, Cryptic, that I replaced those abilities because I *chose* to?! Unaccidentally. Messing with existing boff abilities is an extreme no-no! I don't care what the boff had before, but when I have it trained, say, Aux2SIF 3, or EPtW3, I expect those abilities to stay!!

Adding 'any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with' to the list of abilities that boff has already learned, and may be trained in to, is one thing: auto-reverting abilities, however, spells disaster. And I, for one, will not put up with buying back abilities my boffs already got trained in!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Out of curiosity, as I have not loaded up Tribble and tested it - what happens to boff candidates?

Say for example I have a candidate with CSV3. I know I can no longer consume them to train another boff - but if I commission them, do they still come with CSV3?
  • kostamojenxkostamojenx Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Out of curiosity, as I have not loaded up Tribble and tested it - what happens to boff candidates?

Say for example I have a candidate with CSV3. I know I can no longer consume them to train another boff - but if I commission them, do they still come with CSV3?
    They come with NO SKILLS what so ever.
    edited January 2015

^^ And that is monumentally TRIBBLE. Like with Specgate, *never ever* take back what people already have! I expect my boff candidates to retain their current abilities. Some of those boffs have rare abilities, like TSS3, that I may not have immediate need for, but rather not see yanked from under me either, thank you!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Wait, wut?! Revert existing boff abilities?! That is totally unacceptable!

Has it ever occured to you, Cryptic, that I replaced those abilities because I *chose* to?! Unaccidentally. Messing with existing boff abilities is an extreme no-no! I don't care what the boff had before, but when I have it trained, say, Aux2SIF 3, or EPtW3, I expect those abilities to stay!!

Adding 'any Rare Boff Abilities that a Boff had to begin with' to the list of abilities that boff has already learned, and may be trained in to, is one thing: auto-reverting abilities, however, spells disaster. And I, for one, will not put up with buying back abilities my boffs already got trained in!

It is 'adding', not reverting.

You'll have at your disposal both the original abilities and the newer ones you may have trained the boff in.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Since the non-trainable skills are not going to be on a vendor or anywhere else, my official feed back is table it until you finish it. We don't need any more half-complete content in this game right now. Finish it or don't put it in.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
    edited January 2015

Well that certainly makes me feel valued as a player. /sarcasm

Basically, until this is addressed, the gap between the veteran and newer players only increases.

My feedback would be his should either be postponed or a fix fasttracked (ie next few weeks).
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Thanks,

Mike “Warpdust” McTyre
    System Designer
    Star Trek Online

"Future" better mean "live on Holodeck no later than February 13th" because if it doesn't, seriously, shame on you devs. Pushing broken and half-finished content to the live environment and then taking months to fix it is an embarrassment to the entire industry.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Yeah, it's not like we're taking about trained Starfleet officers who spent a few years at Starfleet Academy or anything .
    No .

They come to you like a bum from the street (no offense to said ppl with their down turned luck) , and you then train them like they were a frikkn' Pokemon .

... cuz' THAT's how Starfleet, the KDF and the Romulan Star Empire roll ....
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "Future" better mean "live on Holodeck no later than February 13th" because if it doesn't, seriously, shame on you devs. Pushing broken and half-finished content to the live environment and then taking months to fix it is an embarrassment to the entire industry.

Well, it's not as if there are no precedents.

1. The crafting system was released without to ability to

(a) customize the modifiers on items
    (b) craft kits and kit modules
    (c) craft melee weapons
    (d) craft Romulan specialty guns

2. The upgrade system was released with numerous items that either would not upgrade or would upgrade improperly.

3. The new doff UI was released with many bugs and missing features. Geko said that there were complaints on Tribble because it wasn't finished at the time. Well, it's still not finished. They still haven't fixed many of the bugs that I reported. And recently, I've noticed a new bug: Certain parts of the doff UI won't refresh unless you mouse-over them. A similar bug is now affecting the trays on Tribble, so I guess the bug is spreading.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited January 2015
    You lost me at "romulan specialty guns" whatever that is supposed to mean.

Romuloidism is still the great plague on the game. It should be abandoned and shunned as an abomination, because that's what it is.

I believe they are referring to the Plasma weapons that were only available through the dilithium store, before its removal. They had different models, and matched the common versions that were available from vendors to the Romulan faction.

I have the Full Auto Rifle (VR Mk XI) from the dil store on my Fed main, and it is a pretty decent gun - it is a shame there is no way to get or make them anymore.
    edited January 2015
    In addition to.

Let's say you have the Jem'hadar Boff from the "2800" series. He comes with Torpedo Spread 3, but you could have trained him in any other Tactical Commander ability, thereby losing TS3. Example: Let's say you retrained this guy in APBeta3.

When this feature goes live, we're planning to restore rare powers like this to the Boffs that originally had them. As a result, you will log in and see that your Jem'Hadar Boff now has access to either TS3 or APBeta3. Both powers will already be Trained on him, and you'll just have to choose which to use.

That's the plan.

Thanks for the clarification. ;)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited January 2015
    So, what will happen to my Android Bridge Officer Candidate with ES3? Will Bridge Officer Candidate's abilities be wiped?! Or will they retain them?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    So, what will happen to my Android Bridge Officer Candidate with ES3? Will Bridge Officer Candidate's abilities be wiped?! Or will they retain them?

Whatever your boffs have now, they will retain, unless something changes when this goes live. Applies to commissioned boffs and candidates. Candidates' abilities aren't currently showing in their tooltips, but they're still there when commissioned.

Special commissioned boffs (I'm not sure if the Android is included here or not -- the intelligence officers from the Delta pack aren't) will regain their rare skills in addition to whatever you've trained them in.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Special commissioned boffs (I'm not sure if the Android is included here or not -- the intelligence officers from the Delta pack aren't) will regain their rare skills in addition to whatever you've trained them in.

Why wouldn't Intelligence officers from the Delta Rising Operations Pack be included? That seems like a bug to me. According to markhawkman, science officers from the pack come with Feign Disintegration III, and engineering officers from the pack come with Electromagnetic Pulse Probe III.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19926161&postcount=16

According to the STO wiki, Electromagnetic Pulse Probe III is a rare bridge officer ability. I'm not sure about Feign Disintegration III; no color is assigned to that ability in the table on the wiki page.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge_officer_abilities
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
    edited January 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Intelligence officers from the Delta Rising Operations Pack be included? That seems like a bug to me. According to markhawkman, science officers from the pack come with Feign Disintegration III, and engineering officers from the pack come with Electromagnetic Pulse Probe III.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=19926161&postcount=16

According to the STO wiki, Electromagnetic Pulse Probe III is a rare bridge officer ability. I'm not sure about Feign Disintegration III; no color is assigned to that ability in the table on the wiki page.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Bridge_officer_abilities

Can't you train Electromagnetic Pulse Probe III and Feign Disintegration III yourself?

Still, I find it outrageous if those Delta pack Intel boffs especially get wiped: people paid good money for that pack!
    3lsZz0w.jpg