test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Top Three System

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We’re pleased to announce an update to the foundry making top-rated missions more easily available for Captains, coming with our new Anniversary update this month!

Learn more about the Foundry system coming with our Anniversary update!

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sounds like a great addition. :)
  • Options
    mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is a great addition... and has been asked for... I might have to make a foundry mission now. It brings back a little bit of exploration to the game.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We’re pleased to announce an update to the foundry making top-rated missions more easily available for Captains, coming with our new Anniversary update this month!

~LaughingTrendy

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!! :D

This has been one of our major requests down in the Foundry subforum for years.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This sounds promising!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This has potential to be interesting as long as we avoid creating some sort of "Argala pt. 2" situation (you and I know the names of a few of the missions I am talking about) and real, developed story missions have a chance to be featured.

If implemented with that in mind, I agree with those saying this will bring back exploration. I am in the minority that I feel Cryptic was right to pull the exploration clusters but being a Star Trek game, something was needed to stand in. This, I think, could work.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Thank You!

This change will make the in-game universe feel more alive, with more to do.

A positive change, I would think. :)
  • Options
    copperminkcoppermink Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How will this system handle to language of the mission and the player?
  • Options
    suavekssuaveks Member Posts: 1,736 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is some awesome addition and it's good to see Cryptic hasn't abandoned the Foundry completely...

BUT...

I'm not sure if displaying just the "Top 3" missions is going to be a good idea in the long run. It may lead to a situation where the same three missions will be available all the time, while any less popular missions starting at the same locations won't receive any attention. It's basically "popular will be even more popular".

It would be nice to be given an option to show ALL qualifying missions starting at any given "door". This way these less popular missions would still be easily found and accessed. Any thought has been given to that?
    PyKDqad.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gulberat wrote: »
    This has potential to be interesting as long as we avoid creating some sort of "Argala pt. 2" situation (you and I know the names of a few of the missions I am talking about) and real, developed story missions have a chance to be featured.
    Fortunately better than 90% of those missions start from one of the consoles at Earth Spacedock/Qo'noS. Actual story missions frequently start elsewhere.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Awesome addition, thank you so much. :)

I do wish I could set preferences on the type of missions I like to play (mostly ones under an hour with a good balance of story and gameplay), rather than it just being a global top 3 per door.

I love that it's per door. I originally thought it was just going to be 3 recommendations, which would be nice, but really not any better than the current search option.

Gives me motivation to stick my mission starts somewhere other than the main social hubs, too.
  • Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm actually intrigued to see this put into action. I do have to share in some of the others concerns about what type of missions would be seen. It would be nice if the Top 3 missions could be switched around after a certain period to give every mission at a particular gate a chance to be played?

Edit: Okay, missed the part about the article talking about the mission listing changing every few hours. Now I'm even more interested in seeing this in action.
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's a thought (quality of life improvement). Taken from the blog:
    We hope that the Foundry Top 3 System will spread highly-rated missions to a wider audience. Missions from the Foundry Top 3 can be used to complete the requirements of “Investigate Author Reports (Repeatable)” which offers 960 Raw Dilithium Ore upon completion and has a 30-minute cooldown. “Investigate Officer Reports (Repeatable)” can be found in the Available tab of the Journal.

The Investigate Officer Reports (Repeatable) mission could actually be REMOVED. In favor of adding a "Daily Bonus" type system, whereby the first Foundry mission you complete, automatically rewards you with the 960 Dilithium, in addition to the Dilithium awarded through running the mission.

Would this not be a better solution, rather than having players (who might not be as familiar with Foundry/Investigate reports), forcing players to look in the journal? Easier to just get the bonus automatically upon completion.

(Ofcourse, the current version allows you to repeat it every 30 minutes, so might have to communicate something along those lines under the proposed revamp)
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Finally!! Great news. :D
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    "We are pleased to announce an update to the Foundry" yet ANOTHER lie its not an update to the foundry system its an update to how you access the most popular missions.

YET another lie;

Another chance to TRIBBLE over those that think that this excause for a game let alone one that has the name "STAR TREK" can be fixed

CRYPTIC you want us to like your game don't LIE to us and don't TRIBBLE us around when we are trying to make things better.............

YET ANOTHER LIE your like my father cryptic the only time you don't lie or TRIBBLE with us is when you SHUT UP

I'M SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!

Take a lesson from E.A. and their new policy : COUSTUMERS COME FIRST
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is great news!!! I'd like to make a suggestion or two for consideration...

One issue I have with the Foundry Spotlight is that there's no quick way to sort between missions i've already played and new ones. This seems like the perfect opportunity to fix that by eliminating any previously played missions from the "top 3".

Building on these even more, how about setting up a "Deep Space" sector where Foundry authors could populate the area with the missions similar to how exploration clusters used to work. I think this would be a great way to add a real sense of boldly going where no man has gone before!

The foundry is a great tool, I'm glad to see the dev team hasn't abandoned it.
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sweet. :D;):P
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sweet. I have been hoping for this ever since star clusters were removed and turned into Foundry doors. This is exciting.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    cers001 wrote: »
    Take a lesson from E.A. and their new policy : COUSTUMERS COME FIRST

Wow, EA sucks at spelling!

(Sorry, that was cruel)
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    interesting, so I have 2 initial questions:
    1)Will we now be allowed all the doors in game in order to link missions to?
    2)How do spotlights interact with this, are they segregated so that other missions can get focus?
    I would hope that they are, since they get a dedicated tab and are therefor easier to find
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    castsbugc wrote: »
    interesting, so I have 2 initial questions:
    1)Will we now be allowed all the doors in game in order to link missions to?
    2)How do spotlights interact with this, are they segregated so that other missions can get focus?
    I would hope that they are, since they get a dedicated tab and are therefor easier to find

This.

/10char
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015

~LaughingTrendy

This sounds great. As a longtime fan of the foundry and one who really appreciates the hard work our authors put into their mission, I really do hope this works out.

Thank you for putting this into the game in a way that helps immersion and makes the game universe feel alive!
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You know, early on in the game I found patrols by randomly bumping into them in sector space. I liked that experience. This update to the Foundry feels like that experience. I'll be more inclined to play Foundry missions if I "encounter" them in the environment of the game and know with relative certainty that they will be quality missions.

So yes, I'm interested in this update.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    From the brief description, I'm very interested - Foundry missions are a wide bag, but easier availability is a great thing.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    mattaukettmattaukett Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This sounds like a really good step in the right direction for getting Foundry missions more attention and play. Sounds like it might well make Captains feel like their explorers once again (at least for Federation Captains, I'm sure we can imagine what Romulans or Klingons would want to be).

That said, I'll caveat it with 2 comments, first of all it doesn't help new missions with getting their initial reviews to qualify for rewards etc and so get onto the list (be really good if something could be done to encourage this). Secondly mission rewards really need to be worthwhile for the time invested when compared with alternative content options in terms of XP gains, dilithium rewards etc and personally I believe adding a "choice of marks" reward also do wonders for Foundry play time as it gives another option for players on where to gain their marks.
  • Options
    drsanitydrsanity Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Here's a curiosity:

Does this system then include the capability to trigger Foundry missions from generic points of entry such as 'Trade with Cargo Ship' or 'Engage Enemy' points? Or Even hinge them off the Red Alert Notifications allowing people to make their own crisis response calls for the top 3 to offer on those situations?

I get why it won't work with interact able objects inside a level (down that path, madness might lie as the entire universe is suddenly drowning in interactable Foundry glowies) but I'm curious if those kinds of generic cases work, even if only sector by sector.

Being able to make the wandering NPCs now operate as entry points to novel content (like good old Mudd?) seems to me to be a major win if this supports it.
    "The only thing mankind learns from the study of history is that mankind does not learn from the study of history." ~G. Santayana
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited January 2015

~LaughingTrendy

Looks promising, but can i make two suggestions?

1. Increase the number of shown foundry missions to 5. This number is still arbitrary, but some locations hold several top foundry missions and a top-3 feels too restrictive.

2. Can the daily loot limit for foundry missions be increased? The loot was drastic reduced several months ago due to the "abuse of grinder missions". The restrictions are so harsh though that playing the foundry on advanced or elite is useless since the XP, skill points, Specialization points and general loot stops dropping halfway through most missions.

It'd be great if we could combine the story content of the foundry with a viable source of loot.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    eltatuseltatus Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, the top 3 missions on that system are going to be more popular and maybe a better mission there, of an author that has not fleet mates to bump the mission is going to be even more ignored than before.

Yaaay... good work cryptic, fixing a bad system with even a worst one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Wow, EA sucks at spelling!

(Sorry, that was cruel)

I’m dyslexic so thanks
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2015

~LaughingTrendy

This is unequivocally a good thing and everyone involved should feel warm and fuzzy.

Thank you from the deepest depths of my toxic, Cthonian tentacled heart. This is a thing of such beauty and grace that my Old One flesh is being dissolved in glorious agony by its very existence.

Thank you.