What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Man dies after three-day internet gaming binge

2»

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    I don't know how they do it. After awhile my stomach and/or bladder will remind me-strongly-to get up and go to the bathroom or get something to eat.

For food, they have it stocked by their computer so they don't need to get up to eat. You don't want to know what they do for bladder issues.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Yup, deep vein thrombosis. Seriously, didn't he get up to use the bathroom or eat?

Very much this. DVT is something everyone should educate themselves about in this age of increasingly sedimentary lifestyles - especially gamers.

You can lose some calories in the process of getting up and moving around every once in a while as well.
  • mindmagemindmage Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    How stupid are you to not get up and move around for 15-30 minutes after sitting for a prolonged period of time? I play a game for 3 hours and i get up and move around to restore blood circulation afterwards. People that die this way deserve too.
    Playing since launch in 2010.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    5 DAYS? 5 hours is bad enough. BUT 5 DAYS? Does he seriously not have anything productive to do?
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Can't really make fun of that since i only kicked that habit myself last year after nearly 20 years of tarring the oxygen highway.

I am glad to hear that you quit. But do be sure to keep a close eye on your body and be mindful of any changes. My dad passed away from cancer caused by smoking 15 yrs after he quit.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's pretty sad, but no idea why it wound up in STO general.

RIP dude. ;_;
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I am glad to hear that you quit. But do be sure to keep a close eye on your body and be mindful of any changes. My dad passed away from cancer caused by smoking 15 yrs after he quit.

Been living in a high industrial area for most of my life, though not to lessen the dangers to the CVS (cardio vascular system) and influence of tar to the human body, i believe smoking may actually be the smallest threat factor.

Genetic disposition and environmental factors are important factors and since I'm actually in a medical line of work i do keep track of my body, but living in fear of what might happen is not the answer and may actually shorten your lifespan due to increased blood pressure.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited January 2015

No one grinds STO for 3 hours, never mind 3 days.

If you do, you need to get out more. :P
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't let it happen to you!
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I may get in trouble for posting this, but if you wonder about at least part of the potty issue, look up "anti-Poopsocking" on TV tropes. And yes, it's meant literally :/
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It's called recycling. Those empty beverage bottles are just going to get thrown away anyway and flushing the toilet less conserves water. :rolleyes:

And sadly that isn't a joke. People actually do that.

I was thinking of more severe methods. Filling up a pop bottle takes far too much time away from the game for the dedicated gamer.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ashlotte wrote: »
    I'd feel sorry for him but I absolutely do not.

This is South Korean territory of gaming.

Just read the link. Taiwanese. I'd expect better from Taiwan. Damn great country.

They really need to learn some moderation over there in the Far East when it comes to video games. And I'd consider my 4~6+ hour weekend binges to be quite heavy at times.

Anywho, this video is quite appropriate for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8bs_THKiY

The same phenomena is also common among hardcore Japanese Pachinko players.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's why you have to drink when you game...thins the blood. More Blood Wine!
    klingon-bridge.jpg