What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Man dies after three-day internet gaming binge

nickdeamrco019nickdeamrco019 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    He was probably trying to level his RnD.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Got to take breaks and move around a little. This has happened here in the States too. I usually game all night long on Fridays nights here in Texas but, I do get up and move around. I remember a reporter died while riding along with an infantry unit in Desert Storm. If you don't move, your blood begins to settle and can clot causing a cardiac episode.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    scififan78 wrote: »
    Got to take breaks and move around a little. This has happened here in the States too. I usually game all night long on Fridays nights here in Texas but, I do get up and move around. I remember a reporter died while riding along with an infantry unit in Desert Storm. If you don't move, your blood begins to settle and can clot causing a cardiac episode.

Yup, deep vein thrombosis. Seriously, didn't he get up to use the bathroom or eat?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    Yup, deep vein thrombosis. Seriously, didn't he get up to use the bathroom or eat?

Dunno. He was at a cafe so it could be assumed he did not get up to eat because he would have his food and drink brought to him. Even getting up to just go to the bathroom, that little bit of movement over a three day period may not be enough...which sadly in his case was not.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    He died after seeing the bill.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's why I smoke...to make sure I get up and go outside for a bit. Got to think healthy!
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Poor chap. Must have been a previously undiagnosed heart condition reminds me of nfl player chuck hughes.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I always wonder how this is even possible. Don't the have to use the bathroom? Don't they get something to drink or a hot meal from time to time? I know time flies by when you're playing a good game but usually by bladder reminds me of the hours spent playing...
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'd feel sorry for him but I absolutely do not.

This is South Korean territory of gaming.

Just read the link. Taiwanese. I'd expect better from Taiwan. Damn great country.

They really need to learn some moderation over there in the Far East when it comes to video games. And I'd consider my 4~6+ hour weekend binges to be quite heavy at times.

Anywho, this video is quite appropriate for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8bs_THKiY
  • hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ashlotte wrote: »
    I'd feel sorry for him but I absolutely do not.

This is South Korean territory of gaming.

Just read the link. Taiwanese. I'd expect better from Taiwan. Damn great country.

They really need to learn some moderation over there in the Far East when it comes to video games. And I'd consider my 4~6+ hour weekend binges to be quite heavy at times.

Anywho, this video is quite appropriate for the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F8bs_THKiY

Lolololol u havent seen quake and star craft geeks run here have u? )
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ive done a 2 and a half day binge once before on sto well before f2p came around, that was strictly to level up celise my fed in exploration dailies and then again during a bonus xp week with k'ella when the kdf had no content besides spectres at the time shortly before f2p.

its not fun doing 2 and half days, you would think its epic, but it isnt, operating on nothing more then artificial stimulants; coffee and soft drinks, trying to keep from sleeping or resting too much and finding distractions to keep you going; like pretending that someone is in the house at night is gonna garrote you when you hear strange noises :P. all the while battling heavy fatigue the body isnt designed for.

i for one could not wait to get some sleep in after those 2 and half days, managed to sleep all the way to the next morning, about 15 hours.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    He was probably trying to level his RnD.
    So two minutes of STO per day kills you?
    ashlotte wrote: »
    Seriously. The kids over there have Sword Dance as a major subject in school. How cool is that?
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Are such toxic remarks really necessary?

As for the gaming binge, it's not the first example. Some notable examples in South Korea with World of W. come to mind.

Anyway, request moving this to ten forward.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Argala strikes again!!!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't know if that's true or if it's fake, but even then, This is funny to people How?
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    I don't know if that's true or if it's fake, but even then, This is funny to people How?

I can't speak for anybody else, but it might just be a defense mechanism...easier to laugh than face the reality that some of us may know that we spend way too much time at our computers. Easier to joke than face the horror.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    fun fact: did you know that taiwan is actually called Republic of China? Srsly...there is a People's Republic of China and there is a Republic of China.

this kind of confusion would kill me too.
    Go pro or go home
  • boogaboogabooboogaboogaboo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    shoot, 15 years ago on Dope Wars Online people could post pics of dead people as their guild charters and get away with it :eek:
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Any sort of binge or gross excess is bad for you.

I have seen stories like this before, even on the national news. It is quite unsettling, and it always brings to mind my own play habits and time spent in front of computer screens - of which I can readily admit is far too long.

You begin to wonder if our high-tec lifestyle really means we have a better quality of life. I do think that Wall-E film hit the nail on the head in that regard.
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Must have been weak I've gone on for months doing this and I am still around and kicking lol :D
    edited January 2015
    Must have been weak I've gone on for months doing this and I am still around and kicking lol :D

What was your address again? Just so we know where to send the Ghost busters and zombie slayers.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • farseeridranelfarseeridranel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015

This is certainly not funny. There are already a couple of studies that show that people can become addicted to computer gaming with the symptoms observed at drug addicts. And even worse, games like WOW are designed in a way that they make addicted. You know it, in the beginning you get rewards quickly, you level up fast, then more and more effort is needed to proceed. Argala grinding, the upgrade system and more and more dilithium sinks show that STO is going this way, too. We can only hope that game developers one day get over the greed and consider this problem (the addiction). This problem is serious and should not be underestimated. Of course, people dying from game addiction is a rare case (I hope), but I am pretty sure that milder forms of addiction already cause problems in people's life. You spent too much time with a game, neglect the real life, school, studies, friends, work, your pets or whatever. And all because of a game that you bought for your entertainment.

I would actually like to hear a statement from PWE/Cryptic about this topic. Do they take this into consideration? Are they aware of it at all? Do they think about means to prevent cases like the one above?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    coupaholic wrote: »
    Any sort of binge or gross excess is bad for you.

I have seen stories like this before, even on the national news. It is quite unsettling, and it always brings to mind my own play habits and time spent in front of computer screens - of which I can readily admit is far too long.

You begin to wonder if our high-tec lifestyle really means we have a better quality of life. I do think that Wall-E film hit the nail on the head in that regard.

in the end the ones who are responsible for this are the players involved, but yet, players cant control how long they sit in front of the screen getting square eyes, getting heavy head aches, going hungry and such.. one of these days games companies will need to make it mandatory for any game to add a 4 hour limit between play and 1 hour cooldown so such creatures are given a chance to actually peel themselves from the computer chair that has been dented from hours and hours of sitting.

ive been training myself out of long term playing over the years, sometimes it fails but for the most part usually get in 2-3 hours before dropping out. long term gaming is a hazard to your health as pointed to above.

did you know i once did a 24 hour sim race? that wasnt fun either. but it only lasted a day and a bit. why it wasnt fun is because your stuck in that chair, cant get away or your opponent beats you. by the end of it, was thirsty, hungry, arms, neck, eyes and feet were knackered and sore and eventually my lower back, needed the toilet and when i opened those blinds the next morning.. it burns, it burns! so decided to sleep on it instead on empty. woke up hours later all shaky because of the sugar levels being out of place and the body starts consuming itself let alone your stomach feels like its tying itself in knots (cramping).

so yeah original thought, not a good idea doing a binge unless you have prepared yourself properly for the outcome.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's why I smoke...to make sure I get up and go outside for a bit. Got to think healthy!

Until your cancer kicks in.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Actually I wouldn't hold any real stake in how this happened or that it was somehow connectedwith gaming which the article tries to portray here in the USA some of us have begun to look closely at just who is doing the publishing and one of the concerns is were these stories factual or are they continuing a conservative meme.

This paper was recently purchased by a well known anti-labor tycoon which is in a party and very influential in what we Americans would call cronie politics. One of the things that the similar parties try to do over here is to make it seem like things that they don't agree with are terrible for you and there are media attacks on gamers and gaming all the time over here. I read the article and this is absolutely one of those pieces. "Prolonged computer gaming" I've been diagnosed with hypertension since my thirties and I've never had an issue, the fact that they said it was from "prolonged gaming" and that a doctor said so is telling, they wouldn't have said that specifically more likely they would have said something like a clogged artery etc ie a more medical diagnosis.

I'd be careful what I'd read over there apparently the Aussies are suffering a media take over just like here in the USA.
    edited January 2015

Can't really make fun of that since i only kicked that habit myself last year after nearly 20 years of tarring the oxygen highway.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Use to do weekenders all the time when CoH was still running.

We used to have a local game/hobby shop that had twenty PC's along one wall. We'd meet each weekend and at least twice a month pull a CoH marathon. Start Friday night and we'd run till Sunday afternoon.

The store was near a mall so there were several restaurants and 3 were open 24 hours. If someone needed a cat nap he'd take it.

This reminds me of the 8-hour long TFs in COH. Something-or-other with the Rularuu.

We used to split those runs into two sessions of 4 hours just so we could survive through them.

Former Positron TF runs with lowbies or undergeared characters would take somewhere around 3 hours. Had an unlucky 4-hour run once. They were sort of fun back in the day nonetheless.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tk79 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the 8-hour long TFs in COH. Something-or-other with the Rularuu.

We used to split those runs into two sessions of 4 hours just so we could survive through them.

Former Positron TF runs with lowbies or undergeared characters would take somewhere around 3 hours. Had an unlucky 4-hour run once. They were sort of fun back in the day nonetheless.

The Quarterfield Task Force. Some of the enemies in the missions within it could be skipped, but there was far too many Defeat all missions and Defeat 50 npcs missions within that Task Force. Not to mention all that running around that had to be done. At least Villains had it easier with doing 5 missions instead of 15 for their Strike Forces.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Third time this month I've spit coffee all over my laptop, dammit!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I don't know how they do it. After awhile my stomach and/or bladder will remind me-strongly-to get up and go to the bathroom or get something to eat.