What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do something with the Cardassians!!!

Comments

• admiralmarcusadmiralmarcus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Make this man a Dev! :D :cool:

I accept!

Step 1: Cut the grinding in half and remove the insanity that is the fleet and commendation systems..... I'm lvl 60 I shouldn't have to grind to remain viable. No one can enjoy the system if you change it every 5 min.

Step 2: Diversify the number of factions and species playable

Step 3: Limit free players to 2 charters & 3 Ships (sorry but PW still has to make money, now they can make it on ships and items for the new factions like they should. Here is how an economy works: I make something cool (something you want) THEN you pay me.)

Step 4: Actually fix the glitches

Step 5: make becoming a pay member a little cheaper and give away better stuff (so more people actually want to do it).

Step 6:Blow up Cardassia
  • admiralmarcusadmiralmarcus Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    NO! Don't throw Cardassia into the sun Throw it into Bajor. Just make sure its on a day when Sisko, Ezri, Odo, Bashir, Kira, Jake, the Founders, Dukat's daughter, Zek, Rom, Ishka, Pel and the Prophets are visiting. But not Jadzia. Don't get me wrong she is useless. Its just I know some Orions that will give me her weight in Latinum for her and god knows I could use the commendation points. ;)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So what would the Cardassian version of Tovan be named? ;)
    I think it'd be a woman named Osett. :P The purple boffs so far are 1 female, 2 male.

also Cardassians will probably be members of the Dominion.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    also Cardassians will probably be members of the Dominion.

You don't picture them basically being copypasta of what they did with Roms?

So you'll have your hippie Cardassians trying to make amends to the Bajorans while going back in time and dealing with the True Way/Dominion and then working their way forward to the now with just dealing with the True Way. Maybe working in some helping the Bajorans dealing with the Mirror Universe stuff or the Borg?

Cause with the Romulans, they basically set up the Mad Libs copypasta route for introducing any new factions.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Cardassians? Never heard about them. As far as I remember DS9 was about Ferengis!
  • crazyned1066crazyned1066 Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good. I hope the worm hole explodes, Cardassia, Bajor, DS9, the prophets & the Pa'everythings all get vaporized in the blast.

DS9 is the best Star Trek..... Dude, seriously "There are 4 lights!"

DS9 is sooo not the best Star Trek........

As far as good characters go other than characters that were taken from TNG you have Dukat, Quark, Garek, and and maybe Weyoun.... 4 in total that are even remotely good. That's being generous because I'm not sure that Quark even counts (though the charter is new by name the actor is the first Ferengi you ever meet in TNG). The cast is so bad that O'Brien and Kako become interesting....

As far as story is concerned.... OMG its the worst! The story centers around... what? A religion? a religion that's real? Oh and a major war....? That is simply not the message of Star Trek its like 3 steps backward and one giant leap for CGI. Its awful.

Not only is it awful but its the least original of all the shows, with the exception of the Dominion you don't really meet any new species, no original plots, no new technology, and half the cast is recycled from TNG. The entire show is one big cliche.

TNG IS the best and highest rated Star Trek. I mean I love TOS and VOY and I even really enjoyed the first two and last seasons of ENT. But come on guy there wouldn't even be a DS9 w/o TNG, because of well, the cast, producer, plots, aliens, network, sponsors, writers, characters, hell even the conflicts are taken directly from TNG.

want some imperial evidence?

According to Memory Alpha: The tally for Emmy awards is as follows:
    TNG awards : TNG had 18 awards that it won and 58 nominations
    DS9 awards : DS9 had 4 awards that it won and 32 nominations

But what do the fans think?
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/03/28/these-graphs-prove-star-trek-the-next-generation-is-better-than-the-original-series/

Now seriously go give that talking pile of black sludge a hug, he needs a friend and you seem like just the guy for the job.

P.S.

The best Cardi episode isn't even from DS9 its from TNG: a two part-er called "Chain of Command" Seanon 6 Eisodes 10 & 11

How can I improve on this?

I watched every single episode of every series- except DS9.

The cardassians were dull, the ferengi we're annoying, and the fed characters uninspiring.

I liked Worf and the defiant.
  • chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Okay, Cryptic, the OP demands you abandon the current storyline and work on the Cardassians now because HE wants you to. You'll note my sarcsm in that. Patience. I bet that area will get some love with the next expansion. And if you can't be patient, then get off the game and go outside and get some fresh air.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
    edited January 2015
    How to work Cardassians into the current storyline...

Bajorans kill all the Cardassians. Kobali harvest all the corpses.

...no wait, that wouldn't quite work for the folks wanting to be Cardassians.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So much DS9 hatred.

Am I the only one that thinks that despite it being weaker than TOS, the long-arc format worked better than TNGs half-assed attempt at long-arc character development? Did no one else find Sir Patrick Stewart trying to pull off gravitas in Gene Rodenberry's space pajamas in S1/2 laugh-out-loud funny? TNG only got good in it's final 2 seasons when the writers stopped trying to write lame ripoffs of TOS material. With very few exceptions, TNG is about the level of TAS in originality and real depth for the first 4 years, and just barely started moving to something resembling new material after that. Yes, TNG has an important place in Trek, and yes I rewatch some of it on occasion, but really, it was mostly just a rehash of TOS for most of it's run - I guess that makes the real gems stand out more in a way.

Say what you want about DS9, but aside from the few homage episodes (the ones with geriatric Klingons and Tribbles primarily), they very much did their own thing and actually tried something new for Trek. As to exploring the themes of war and greed - yeah, remember like almost every TOS episode that didn't revolve around some demi-god? And even some that did? It was closer to TOS that TNG ever was in theme, without blatantly ripping it off like TNG.

As to the later series, Voyager and Enterprise can burn in hell next to Nemesis and Into Reference. As much as I try and try and try, I can't watch more than about 20 minutes of any Ent episode without vomiting into my mouth a little. Voyager was worth a single binge watch just so you can get the background for all the slash fic, but that's the only reason I can think of.

Something Cardassian themed, a bit more than a lockbox, would be great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I still remember watching DS9 premier back in the day, and after the episode ended I only had one thing to say.

"I'm so glad they didn't have a voice over in the opening, I mean what could they have said? Boldly saying where no one wants to be?"
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    edited January 2015
    You don't picture them basically being copypasta of what they did with Roms?

So you'll have your hippie Cardassians trying to make amends to the Bajorans while going back in time and dealing with the True Way/Dominion and then working their way forward to the now with just dealing with the True Way. Maybe working in some helping the Bajorans dealing with the Mirror Universe stuff or the Borg?

Cause with the Romulans, they basically set up the Mad Libs copypasta route for introducing any new factions.
    Enh, you can't even lift all the broad strokes from it. Just a few of the basics like building a relationship with the major powers. Also, is the Dominion(not the True Way) involved? If so, that changes things drastically.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2015
    Enh, you can't even lift all the broad strokes from it. Just a few of the basics like building a relationship with the major powers. Also, is the Dominion(not the True Way) involved? If so, that changes things drastically.

So you have the Cardassians (Romulan Republic) fighting the True Way (Tal Shiar) who have the help of the Dominion (Elachi)...?

So you have the Cardassians (Romulan Republic) fighting the Dominion (Tal Shiar) who have the help of the True Way (Elachi)...?

Either way, the Cardassian players end up with alliances with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire to fight off the threat they simply can't handle without the aid of the major players in the game.
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Never seen so much DS9 hate in one thread.

Really shows the people who hated it, were the ones who gave up after a season or 2 or even the pilot.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Yup, DS9 was definitely in the top 5 live action Star Trek shows of all time!

Alright, we'll try it Valoreah's way. . .

Good idea!

I want pakleds...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
    edited January 2015
    Never seen so much DS9 hate in one thread.

Really shows the people who hated it, were the ones who gave up after a season or 2 or even the pilot.

Thing is...it's not a case that DS9's ratings started off low and went higher...they dropped, dropped, dropped. DS9 lost more folks as the show went on...

Just because you liked something, doesn't mean that others had to like it as well or that there reasons for not liking it are somehow wrong. It's an opinion. I found DS9 to be generic and cliche. I found VOY to be a parody, a farce, of Trek. ENT never felt like more than a fan project...but it had some interesting bits. TNG recovered from the massive fail of how it started, imho (something that DS9 did not). TOS may not have been the best, but with the rose-colored glasses of my youth and that attachment...it always will be. Cause it's opinion.
    anazonda wrote: »
    I want pakleds...

I still like watching this from time to time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lxIL1WlxSQ
    edited January 2015
    So you have the Cardassians (Romulan Republic) fighting the True Way (Tal Shiar) who have the help of the Dominion (Elachi)...?

So you have the Cardassians (Romulan Republic) fighting the Dominion (Tal Shiar) who have the help of the True Way (Elachi)...?

Either way, the Cardassian players end up with alliances with either the Federation or the Klingon Empire to fight off the threat they simply can't handle without the aid of the major players in the game.
    Actually.... Cryptic has already written the Dominion in such a way as to preclude that idea. They have no desire to help the True Way and flat out told the Feds that they didn't care what happened to them.

Furhter Dominion involvement will probably mean having them stop playing "evil empire".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2015
    Actually.... Cryptic has already written the Dominion in such a way as to preclude that idea. They have no desire to help the True Way and flat out told the Feds that they didn't care what happened to them.

Furhter Dominion involvement will probably mean having them stop playing "evil empire".

But don't forget what they did with the Romulans...they went back in time. You start a new Rom character, you're going back in time.

So just like the story proceeded with the Dominion into a future point, up until that point - would be not much different than going back in time like they did with the Romulans.

New characters start back in 2409...none of anything else has happened yet.

IMHO, they just massively set up the Romulans as the test for a Mad Libs scenario. Here, fill out this form - crank out more factions! The Romulans look more like a system, a mechanic, than a faction. Why would any future faction be any different when they've got that nifty form there to fill out...
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    TOS Complete Series: #7,704
    TAS Complete Series: #9,107
    TNG Complete Series: #12,725
    VOY Complete Series: #31,741
    ENT Complete Series: #39,907
    DS9 Complete Series: #70,125

Amazon would definitely appear to disagree, eh?

Why do I feel like I just posted a link to Steam charts? ;)

The animated series rated higher than anything but TOS? ENT rated higher than DS9...hardly official numbers.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited January 2015
    But don't forget what they did with the Romulans...they went back in time. You start a new Rom character, you're going back in time.

So just like the story proceeded with the Dominion into a future point, up until that point - would be not much different than going back in time like they did with the Romulans.

New characters start back in 2409...none of anything else has happened yet.

IMHO, they just massively set up the Romulans as the test for a Mad Libs scenario. Here, fill out this form - crank out more factions! The Romulans look more like a system, a mechanic, than a faction. Why would any future faction be any different when they've got that nifty form there to fill out...
    What the suggests is that it probably won't be a mixed Cardassian/Dominion faction, since the Dominion was staying on their side of the wormhole at that time.

But if it's JUST Cardassians, that's even more of a micro faction than Romulans... Maybe toss in non-True Way former Dominion people too? As much as I'd like to see a full Dominion Faction, they'd have to rewrite a LOT to have actual Dominion ships flying around for missions like the Romulan FE series.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Pay more attention. You start any new character, you're "going back in time". Everyone's journey starts off in 2409, while the Federation and the Empire were still simmering on the very brink of war (thanks to the machinations of B'vat, which the Fed character will head off), while the House of Torg still had the ear of the Emperor, before Vega IX fell to the Borg. We're all the center of the story, the captain everything happens to for the first time. Your Feddie is the first being to stop the Klingon advances in Sirius Sector Block; your Klink is the first one to lead a raid on Utopia Planitia to recover lost personnel and cripple Starfleet near Sol; your Rom is the first one to rescue people from Virinat and find the connection between Hakeev and the Elachi.

If a Cardie faction (or fraction) is introduced, I imagine it would be along the same lines, so they can run "The 2800" from a Cardie perspective.

And now I'm imagining a voiceover for DS9:

Space - the final frontier.

These are the sittings in one place of the station Deep Space Nine.

Its ongoing mission:

To explore strange new political situations.

To seek out new ways of preventing war between Bajor and Cardassia.

To boldly sit where many have sat before!
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Pay more attention.

That's kind of funny, snipping a comment - taking it out of context - and then suggesting somebody pay attention. Cause uh, if you'd read the whole post...well... Just saying. ;)
    What the suggests is that it probably won't be a mixed Cardassian/Dominion faction, since the Dominion was staying on their side of the wormhole at that time.

But if it's JUST Cardassians, that's even more of a micro faction than Romulans... Maybe toss in non-True Way former Dominion people too? As much as I'd like to see a full Dominion Faction, they'd have to rewrite a LOT to have actual Dominion ships flying around for missions like the Romulan FE series.

That's kind of one of the things, eh? With Cryptic opposed to letting anybody play the actual bad guy (Feds and KDF aren't good and bad, just opposing sides in a conflict - might as well be guys that like Ford arguing with guys that like Chevy)...a Cardassian faction would be miniscule. Would perhaps get more into taking a look at a Playable Species expansion with different Factions getting access to the ships in different ways, eh? Or even just adding them to both...without doing the faction part. Just buy the species and buy the ships...eh?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,438 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    That's kind of funny, snipping a comment - taking it out of context - and then suggesting somebody pay attention. Cause uh, if you'd read the whole post...well... Just saying. ;)
    I read the whole post. You were trying to claim that the Roms starting in 2409 was some kind of aberration, as if Fed and Klink tutorials took place sometime after the opening of the Spheres.

Everyone starts "back in time". The start of every story is 2409. That's just the way things are. Starting Cardies off in 2409 would make them exactly the same as everyone else.

That's the part you're either missing or willfully ignoring, in your crusade against the Rom storyline (and by extension a potential Cardie storyline).

As for the "cut and paste" contention - the revamped Klingon tutorial was introduced at precisely the same time as the Rom tutorial. Was that "cut and paste" - the same as the Rom? 'Cause I must have missed the part where we're members of some splinter faction of the Empire, hunted by loyalists and trying desperately to become a major power in the quadrant...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2015
    I read the whole post.

What's the third paragraph in the post?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    And now I'm imagining a voiceover for DS9:

Space - the final frontier.

These are the sittings in one place of the station Deep Space Nine.

Its ongoing mission:

To explore strange new political situations.

To seek out new ways of preventing war between Bajor and Cardassia.

To boldly sit where many have sat before!

Sisko's on a mission to go no bloody place
    He loiters on a station above bajoran space
    The wormhole opened up and now they come from near and far
    We'll keep the booze but please send back the f**ing jem haddar

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4bBD5yyT-s0
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jornado wrote: »
    So much DS9 hatred.

Am I the only one that thinks that despite it being weaker than TOS, the long-arc format worked better than TNGs half-assed attempt at long-arc character development? Did no one else find Sir Patrick Stewart trying to pull off gravitas in Gene Rodenberry's space pajamas in S1/2 laugh-out-loud funny? TNG only got good in it's final 2 seasons when the writers stopped trying to write lame ripoffs of TOS material. With very few exceptions, TNG is about the level of TAS in originality and real depth for the first 4 years, and just barely started moving to something resembling new material after that. Yes, TNG has an important place in Trek, and yes I rewatch some of it on occasion, but really, it was mostly just a rehash of TOS for most of it's run - I guess that makes the real gems stand out more in a way.

Say what you want about DS9, but aside from the few homage episodes (the ones with geriatric Klingons and Tribbles primarily), they very much did their own thing and actually tried something new for Trek. As to exploring the themes of war and greed - yeah, remember like almost every TOS episode that didn't revolve around some demi-god? And even some that did? It was closer to TOS that TNG ever was in theme, without blatantly ripping it off like TNG.

As to the later series, Voyager and Enterprise can burn in hell next to Nemesis and Into Reference. As much as I try and try and try, I can't watch more than about 20 minutes of any Ent episode without vomiting into my mouth a little. Voyager was worth a single binge watch just so you can get the background for all the slash fic, but that's the only reason I can think of.

Something Cardassian themed, a bit more than a lockbox, would be great.
    What I found was that in abandoning the true utopia ideal of Roddenberry, ds9 felt the least like trek of any of the series.

That said, I have enjoyed all the series and movies, even the JJ movies, by not comparing them to each other nor to some internal hypothetical ideal I wanted them to be, but instead letting each be its own thing.
  • captinwh0captinwh0 Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    +1 on cardassion content
    nerf.jpg]
  • tanthotantho Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I never kept up with the ratings during the shows run

But this is news to me that DS9 was the most successful of the Star Trek's post TNG... since when?

LOL agreed.

Never got through DS9 series, but did watch all the rest.
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tantho wrote: »
    LOL agreed.

Never got through DS9 series, but did watch all the rest.

A lot of people took what I said out of context

I wasn't saying that because I thought the show sucked, in fact, quite the opposite

I was always under the impression DS9 was always under most people's radars after TNG lef the air and went to Voyager for some reason
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!