test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what about my 35-40 Boff Roster Slots ??

taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
With this revamp to BOFF training it seems one doesn't need many boff roster slots anymore.
Where can I get my Zen refund for the 35-40 BOFF Roster slots I've purchased ?

Thank you Cryptic, for making my many purchased Boff roster slots completely unnecessary !
What compensation will be provided for ppl like myself who invested heavily into this once useful in game perk, that has now been rendered completely unnecessary due to your "BOFF Training Revamp" ?
[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
Post edited by taylor1701d on

Comments

• tcostiktcostik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What compensation will be provided?

None.

/10char
  • trelane87trelane87 Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    What compensation will be provided for ppl like myself

A 100 dilithium daily tax per boff slot?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    tcostik wrote: »
    None.

/10char

Basically. You bought that many in order to do stuff under the old system. Now its less relevant, but stilll have all that extra space.

Horray for you, you can still do more than I can with Boffs. Its just now we have a more functional way of handling abilities. That's progress, even if some don't benefit from it as much as others do.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You paid for ground weapon storage, lucky you?
    Also just think, you are so lucky you get to pay all over again to upgrade and train not just a normal amount, but all of them.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You will get the same as I got, when I lost 600K dil in the Marks->Dil conversion...

Everything you already had, minus a little, and a pad on the back.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    they could reward free training manuals for each purchased boff slot... or something like that

a small compensation at least
    edited January 2015
    swatop wrote: »
    they could reward free training manuals for each purchased boff slot... or something like that

Considering how little they've compensated for things in the past, I think that's overly optimistic...

Well... Unrealistic is probably a better word.
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • csbastiancsbastian Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    They have made it clear time and time again. they only care about milking us for every possible dime they can. They only answer to the shareholders not to us. Hopefully PWE will go back to being a privately held company, and if Cryptic (STO) stays under that umbrella, may be, just may be, the new owners will put some much needed life back into the game by actually caring what type of game the players want to play. There are quite a large number of people myself included who aren't playing this game because we enjoy it anymore... were playing because we feel we have invested in something and hope that investment will payoff in the form of a fun game again. until then ill log in... grind a little... and then go play something fun.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    At the ferenginar consortium of star trek enterprises, every purchase is really a rental fee, subject to change at any time.

Whenever the game goes offline, be it for a new game engine or whatever other reason, those of us who have purchased stuff with real cash won't be getting a single-player version of the game, with a well-polished game editor, ability to host our own servers, and coding info for open-source coders to play with.

It'll be like the first trip to Risa with a rental jetpack that dematerializes the second it expires.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    swatop wrote: »

Yes but then people are being compensated for wanting space to build out a lot of secondary characters for their series of Star Trek. Extra boff slots have a use which the new functionality is making less useful but there's other circumstances where someone might want to have more action figures to play with. Its not a clear case of compensation (unlike for example the reputation system change over.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    With this revamp to BOFF training it seems one doesn't need many boff roster slots anymore.

Thank you Cryptic, for making my many purchased Boff roster slots completely unnecessary !
    What compensation will be provided for ppl like myself who invested heavily into this once useful in game perk, that has now been rendered completely unnecessary due to your "BOFF Training Revamp" ?

You're not due a refund. What on earth made you think you were?? :rolleyes:
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nicha0 wrote: »
    You paid for ground weapon storage, lucky you?
    Also just think, you are so lucky you get to pay all over again to upgrade and train not just a normal amount, but all of them.

Exactly !
    I know things change in games..but wow, I feel cheated here.
    Imagine all of sudden they revamped captains, in that you could select engi, tac, or sci captain on the fly, all those who bought extra character slots would be experiencing a similar issue..in that you'd only need 1 or 2 captains from each faction.

You'd have the people with 15 captains freaking out !
    Saying I only needed 1 or 2 from each faction !

Anyway, I guess as someone mentioned I can think of it as lots of ground storage. But yeah, I'm not really happy about it.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    those of us who have purchased stuff with real cash won't be getting a single-player version of the game, with a well-polished game editor, ability to host our own servers, and coding info for open-source coders to play with.

I'd pay for this.
  • jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Honestly, that ramification probably slipped their mind.

Now that it's been mentioned, if enough noise is made, you will probably receive an accolade or something. Maybe a free common doff.

That, or as has been already mentioned, a dilithium tax on the extra slots.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I also spend money on tier 1,2,3,4 and 5 ships and im using tier 6 now, i wand my money back ...
    http://www.louiseoneillauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/crying-baby.jpg
    edited January 2015
    bones1970 wrote: »
    I also spend money on tier 1,2,3,4 and 5 ships and im using tier 6 now, i wand my money back ...
    http://www.louiseoneillauthor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/crying-baby.jpg

Well that's apples and oranges. No where near the same. I'm talking about a service while you talk about an in game usable item/ship. We all know powercreep can nullify even the best in game items over time, in fact I expect it.

What I don't expect is for a service I paid for, to suddenly become obsolete.
    I bought those slots for convenience. As I fly many ships and swap back and forth a lot. The idea was so I wouldn't have to train and retrain my boffs over and over.

But as we can see, that service is no longer needed due to the changes.
    So yeah I'm a little P.O'd
    But ill remain positive I guess, and look at the many boffs I have as extra ground storage.
    Thing is, I don't need any ground storage ! and wouldn't have made my roster purchases had I known they planned something of this nature.
    To top it off, I get the joy of paying for this stuff all over again, by means of Dil, training manuals and time gates. Etc
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Well that's apples and oranges. No where near the same.

It's exactly the same...
    edited January 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    It's exactly the same...

Maybe in your strange world its exactly the same.
    Did you honestly feel your ship would never be outclassed by new ship releases ?
    I can honestly say I felt my roster slots would be safe from powercreep. As powercreep only applies to in game items/ships.
    Not account services.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Did you honestly feel your ship would never be outclassed by new ship releases ?
    I can honestly say I felt my roster slots would be safe from powercreep. As powercreep only applies to in game items/ships.
    Not account services.

Yes... I expected them to remain sane enough to avoid T6 ships...

If you think I was silly then, then imagine how I feel your request is...

EVERYTHING will become wasted money eventually... I've known this since Season 5... No... Since the leak of that image seperating gold and silver players from the foundry BEFORE they announced F2P.

Better get used to it... Acceptance of it is better for you.
  • patrokoluspatrokolus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Not account services.

Your money was lost the second you bought ZEN with it. All the rest is virtual stuff and you went into a contract with Cryptic by playing their game which gives them the right to change aspects of the game at any time. You have no ownership of anything here, so therefore take it or leave it.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    This is an interesting instance where RP'ers will not be fazed in the least by this.

By and large I've always thought that my fully trained and competent officers should know how to do everything in their field or be easily trained on how to in a reasonable amount of time. Overall this makes more sense.

As for having a large crew, I wanted one.

Once I've optimized my ship, I don't physically NEED a lot of officers. But I still like having them around. So it's weird looking at this as it will reduce the need on officers I have, but now the officers I have will be able to do exactly what I want with less fuss.

For people who purchase many officer slots and officers for the pure convenience, especially with loadouts that let you switch your gear out faster than before, this is a quality of life improvement that obsoletes things that have stood in this game for five years.

It's like when McDonald's changed their French Fry oil, it's better for you, but you still miss the old formula.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Why so many boffs ? whcih skills/abilities they did have ? how average per specialization (tack/eng/sci) you did have ?
    edited January 2015
    patrokolus wrote: »
    Your money was lost the second you bought ZEN with it. All the rest is virtual stuff and you went into a contract with Cryptic by playing their game which gives them the right to change aspects of the game at any time. You have no ownership of anything here, so therefore take it or leave it.

Yeah ill have to accept it. But I don't have to like it.
    I know they can change anything (was only half serious about compensation) I know ill never get any.
    I was just surprised, you expect to see gear and items becomes outclassed by new gear/ships, but you rarely see changes to account services like this.

That's all, I feel a little cheated out of the convienience...and not really thrilled about paying Dil to retrain everybody.

That all said, I do think its a good change, but not for ppl who invested in a lot of roster slots.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    You got months(years?) of use out of those boff slots. Why would you expect any compensation just because a new system is coming?

(Just like I wouldn't expect a refund for software I've used, which becomes less useful due to system software changes/computer changes/etc. Or any other thing that becomes obsolete due to a future change - you got use out of these things while you had them. /shrug)

edit: I've bought extra boff slots on some characters as well. Not nearly as many as you, of course..... and I'll still be keeping all those boffs. Because they have their own names, appearances, and gear; beyond their skills. I didn't get them just for their skillsets.
    edited January 2015
    czertik123 wrote: »
    Why so many boffs ? whcih skills/abilities they did have ? how average per specialization (tack/eng/sci) you did have ?

Well about 10 boffs per specialization so arond 40
    Only because I play pve and pvp, and the setups are very different. My strategy is completely different based on if I'm playing pve or pvp. So the extra boffs were very handy. I didn't have to run and retrain them all the time
    Also, I jump back and forth between ships a lot. I have 6-7 that are used heavily.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Well about 10 boffs per specialization so arond 40
    Only because I play pve and pvp, and the setups are very different. My strategy is completely different based on if I'm playing pve or pvp. So the extra boffs were very handy. I didn't have to run and retrain them all the time
    Also, I jump back and forth between ships a lot. I have 6-7 that are used heavily.

All of this still applies?

You can still swap said BOs, rather than retraining a handful repeatedly... Wich, come to think of it, makes your complaint seem strange...
    edited January 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    All of this still applies?

You can still swap said BOs, rather than retraining a handful repeatedly... Wich, come to think of it, makes your complaint seem strange...

True but ill only be keeping maybe 3 of each since dil will be involved.
    And that I had all this taken care of prior to the change. Kind of upsets me.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    Do you honestly think you need more boff slots than you can assign to ship stations or onto an away team?

I've been playing for 5 years and I've never "needed" more boffs than the absolute minimum necessary. Everything over the minimum is just fluff for when I choose to change things up or because I like collecting unique Boffs.

No you don't, but retraining over and over was not something I enjoyed doing. That's why I got so many. Some were designated for pve, some pvp, some for other builds I wanted to try.

Plus I had all human crew and all saurian crew when Boff traits were more valuable.

Like I said though, had I never invested in my crew, I would be very happy with the changes except for the dil cost.
    Anyway, I know I won't get anything for my grievence.
    And ill get over it. Just made me feel I wasted time building up my crew.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited January 2015
    I'm unhappy about the dil cost myself, so I'm on your side about that part.
    Thanks snipe, I think I just needed to vent.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg