What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dear rpers...

2»

Comments

• organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    To the OP: My advice is call Dental. Go on NoP PS and ask for a Dental to help you; there's generally one or two hanging around. Breaking up public ERP is one of maybe three genuinely good things those trolls do.

You, straight?

Manfred, how many times have we divorced and gotten back together now?

I mean, seriously, honey.

:D

:eek::eek::eek:

I.. I have... but.. I only.. I.. I only asked where those chats are to know how to avoid them.

What are you doing in the General section anyway? What? No, no please, I am not suspecting you of ... no, please don't hit me again.

No! Nooooooooooooooooo!
  • killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    Cue the Takei: "ohhhh myyyy..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nSKkwzwdW4
  • decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah Erpers. I made the mistake of making my first RP character on an infamous EU server, I didn't know I was new the rping thing. Got to Goldshire Inn, I was scared for life no amount of therapy will help. Since then all Erp I have seen has been tame.
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm not sure why people find this offensive. It's a virtual game where toons are hypersexualized already. Not sure how this is offensive and excessive breast size/Khan no-undershirts/character names/Orions aren't.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    I usually call a dentist, pull up a chair,and watch the show.

I know a guy who made good money erp'ing,pretending to be a woman....it's true he had a cute butt though :D
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • amenephisamenephis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    (Oh, and if someone tried to pull rank on me IC, I'd inform them that they're not in my chain of command, and direct them to my superior officer(s).)

Just as an aside, you really have no idea how rank works, do you?
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It is. Most of the actual RP community knows to move to tells, private channels, or ship interiors if a scene starts to move in an R rated direction. Anyone you do see doing "Public ERP" is probably just trolling and can easily be put on ignore.

Generally yes. I think I've seen it maybe 3 times in my 2 years of playing. It's usually revealed by emotes.

I'm not offended... I'm just saying 'be a tad bit more creative than 'sucked the straw in front of me while smiling at the handsome man'
    edited January 2015
    Generally yes. I think I've seen it maybe 3 times in my 2 years of playing. It's usually revealed by emotes.

I'm not offended... I'm just saying 'be a tad bit more creative than 'sucked the straw in front of me while smiling at the handsome man'

That's hawt.
    edited January 2015

what would be your creative take on that? Wait with the answer, I lil slip into something more comfortable... :P
    edited January 2015
    what would be your creative take on that? Wait with the answer, I lil slip into something more comfortable... :P

something with the straw, but it's pretty rated r, and I think I got enough warns as it is...
    edited January 2015
    something with the straw, but it's pretty rated r, and I think I got enough warns as it is...

so, you are an e xpert in that? good to know, maybe you can give me and Worff.. an other player here some "ideas" for our shrinking love life. :D
    edited January 2015
    so, you are an e xpert in that? good to know, maybe you can give me and Worff.. an other player here some "ideas" for our shrinking love life. :D

in writing literature or erotic literature?

Let me give you an idea of my love life... I'm married, and I've done it like 3 times in the last year and a half...

think I could write erp?
    edited January 2015
    in writing literature or erotic literature?

Let me give you an idea of my love life... I'm married, and I've done it like 3 times in the last year and a half...

think I could write erp?

oh.... :(:(
    edited January 2015
    oh.... :(:(

don't worry, I probably could, but then worffan would come in here and scream at me for TRIBBLE-poor writing of a woman character.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    amenephis wrote: »
    Just as an aside, you really have no idea how rank works, do you?

I'm a civilian, but I've done research and spoken to people who have or are serving. Part of that whole "roleplaying" thing.

It's my understanding that if one of my Captains is following orders given to them by their own superior(s), and some random Admiral on a power trip tries to give me orders that contradict those, it's my right to refuse and to inform the Admiral of those facts, if I judge the situation important enough, and knowing that I will have to face both those superiors and a board of inquiry later to justify my actions (against a potential charge of insubordination, just for starters). Is this not so?

I could get meta and point out that in the specific case of Star Trek, all admirals are - to a man (and woman) - incompetent dillholes and captains are always right, but let's pretend for the sake of argument that Starfleet is a functioning organization with a reasonable command structure.

Not that this is going to come up (for me) in random bar RP, because none of my characters do that. Frankly, they all have much better things to do with their (on-screen) time. This has the bonus effect of minimizing (if not eliminating) contact with random disruptive jerks.
    edited January 2015
    yes, that's called operating outside the proper chain of command
  • wildboarwildboar Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I erp'd with a cute ferengi but the player was not a ferengi RL

this whole thread seems directed at a certain group of players and inflammatory. Are these the kinds of threads now being approved by cryptic and CBS?
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Role Playing =/= "Elite" Role Playing.

Some of the posters here don't seem to know there's a difference, so - this:

The former is getting into character to play the game; the latter involves virtual sexualiztion of the role playing format.

One is fine, the other is ridiculous. Go somewhere else with that, please; or, keep it private somehow. You are only encouraging trolling.Trolling is never acceptable, and will get a ticket filed from me every time I can.
    edited January 2015
    I'm a civilian, but I've done research and spoken to people who have or are serving. Part of that whole "roleplaying" thing.

It's my understanding that if one of my Captains is following orders given to them by their own superior(s), and some random Admiral on a power trip tries to give me orders that contradict those, it's my right to refuse and to inform the Admiral of those facts, if I judge the situation important enough, and knowing that I will have to face both those superiors and a board of inquiry later to justify my actions (against a potential charge of insubordination, just for starters). Is this not so?

I could get meta and point out that in the specific case of Star Trek, all admirals are - to a man (and woman) - incompetent dillholes and captains are always right, but let's pretend for the sake of argument that Starfleet is a functioning organization with a reasonable command structure.

Not that this is going to come up (for me) in random bar RP, because none of my characters do that. Frankly, they all have much better things to do with their (on-screen) time. This has the bonus effect of minimizing (if not eliminating) contact with random disruptive jerks.

Sort of. The situational response you mentioned is the exception.

For example, as an E-6 myself I am empowered to issue any order I deem fit to any E-1 through E-5 I see, and furthermore to override and countermand any orders they may have already been given from an E-5 or lower. That said, the orders I would be giving would have to be lawful, and appropriate to the situation, which is why such an occasion very very rarely ever comes into play. If it were to come up outside of a combat situation, it's simply an expected professional courtesy to go and speak to whoever gave the order, discuss the situation, and then ideally have them retract their own orders and replace them with what I'd like to see done, so as not to disrupt their own authority. This is true even WITHIN the same chain of command, and more so outside it.

That said, were I to give such orders the individual that I gave them to would be obligated to carry them out, and would be correct to do so. I however, would expect to explain to that individual's chain of command precisely why I did so, as it's a violation of that expected professional courtesy and it's likely someone higher up in their chain of command wouldn't appreciate the disruption. So again, roughly the only time this is going to happen is during an emergency combat situation, where the ordinary chain of command may have broken down and people from disparate chains of command would need to form a coherent operating unit.

So ultimately, yes, some random individual that outranks you from outside your chain of command is absolutely correct in feeling that they can countermand your orders, if they outrank the person who gave the orders. You should explain your standing orders to them, so that they can make an informed decision (which is why someone approaching a lower ranking individual and planning to do this will typically open with something along the lines of "Hey, what are you doing right now?"), but ultimately it is their decision. At that point you would carry out their orders, and then report the individual up your chain of command, to someone who outranks the person who countermanded your orders. If they didn't like it they'd run it further up their chain of command, and sooner or later someone would have more pips on their collar than the other and that would be that.

That said again, position trumps rank, so said orders as said before would need to be appropriate to the situation as well as lawful.
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    My two cents?

Personally? As an RPer, I dont ERP. It's tacky and kinda weird for my taste. Also, this game is for Teens, therefor possibly minors, therefore, there is a possible very serious legal implications about it as well.

What I do instead? Tactful Fade to black. If you can another character is ready to "engage", walk out of the room together and head to your quarters, or bunk, or a hotel room like an adult! Dry humping in the bar is for horny teenagers with no where else to go.

But seriously.. if you see someone else doing, PM the couple, tell them to stop or go private, or you will report them.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    amenephis: Thanks for the additional explanation/information, I'll keep it in mind in the future.

(and it was my assumption, from the context of the prior discussion, that the person attempting to give orders would not be following the professional courtesy you mention, nor the regular chain of command, but merely attempting to throw their rank around in a decidedly non-combat, non-emergency situation - walking up and declaring, in effect or in actual words, "I'm an Admiral, you must obey." Displaying, thus, an equal misunderstanding of the rights and responsibilities of the rank the game has awarded them, and acting, IMO, solely out of the desire to assert/experience power over another player.)
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    wildboar wrote: »
    this whole thread seems directed at a certain group of players and inflammatory. Are these the kinds of threads now being approved by cryptic and CBS?

I like your choice of alias *grunts seductively* :cool:

So, I'm an ERPer now or what?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou