test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What other changes should I expect?

opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
TOPIC TITLE: "What other LIES should I expect?" (before moderation happened)

So... the dialogue in the Diplomacy overview tab is a lie? No First Contact missions?

I've been gone awhile. Basically since that crude pre-alpha stage that they called "Launch". Stardate 87690.60 (January 31, 2010) according to my Fleet information. The game has improved. Possibly not as much as it SHOULD have in five whole years but it's not the total disgrace to the Star Trek brand that it was then.

But...

I mean I know the Diplomacy part doesn't sell much Zen so they don't really care, but what other blatant lies should I expect? Looking for a serious heads up here, please?
Petition to add fly from bridge feature. Please share!!
Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
Post edited by opensorce3 on

Comments

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    opensorce3 wrote: »
    So... the dialogue in the Diplomacy overview tab is a lie? No First Contact missions?

I've been gone awhile. Basically since that crude pre-alpha stage that they called "Launch". Stardate 87690.60 (January 31, 2010) according to my Fleet information. The game has improved. Possibly not as much as it SHOULD have in five whole years but it's not the total disgrace to the Star Trek brand that it was then.

But...

I mean I know the Diplomacy part doesn't sell much Zen so they don't really care, but what other blatant lies should I expect? Looking for a serious heads up here, please?

Yeah doesn't suprise me ... they removed "Exploration Clusters", in all their wisdom in Season 9.5 ... sadly "First Contant" - Mission (the one true gem of Clusters) fell victim as well ...

Seems they didn't manage to edit the Dialogue accordingly ...

PS : The only "Diplomacy" left is within in the Doff System, now ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No way, i was looking forward to my first, first contact mission. :mad:
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yeah doesn't suprise me ... they removed "Exploration Clusters", in all their wisdom in Season 9.5 ... sadly "First Contant" - Mission (the one true gem of Clusters) fell victim as well ...

That's not quite true... one of the missions in the Defera Sector still gives Diplomacy points.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You will love battle zone, dinosaurs with head mounted lasers !!
  • fudgemonkfudgemonk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You guys are taling about the npc standing in Quins office right?
  • themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I ground diplomacy xp for the Orion boff on one of my alts before the doff system. That's some content I really don't miss. I'd love it if they had some proper exploration and diplomacy content in this game, but I doubt we'll see it without some tedious grind tacked on to suck the joy out of it.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You don't have any voting right for whatever in DS9, as the diplomacy 5 says you do.
    If it wasn't removed from the fleet dialogue, you don't earn any kind of exploration mark or any pre-f2p marks in the borg sector. In fact, exploration is not part of the game anymore (pretty ironic for a star trek game).

I'm sure there are much more around. I don't think those are lies, they are more oversight Cryptic never bothered fixing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    We still have first contact missions through the Foundry though, which are much better than Cryptic were able to cobble together on a shoestring budget.

Speaking of old references to long-removed aspects of the game, I think the NPCs in the Gamma Orionis fleet area still talk about Marks of Valor.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    [Redacted]

It's just not worth it, carry on.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They rarely fix obsolete descriptions and tooltips after they change or remove things. You'll just have to get used to it and get over it if you keep playing.

What was called "exploration" in STO, and the component of that called "diplomacy," were absolutely terrible and you're not missing anything since they've been removed.

Will they ever be replaced by something better? Probably not.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They rarely fix obsolete descriptions and tooltips after they change or remove things. You'll just have to get used to it and get over it if you keep playing.

What was called "exploration" in STO, and the component of that called "diplomacy," were absolutely terrible and you're not missing anything since they've been removed.

Will they ever be replaced by something better? Probably not.

I like that you seem to know the one true way to enjoy this game, the way you are telling people that their terrible content isn't missed :)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This Thread is about "First Contact" Missions not "Diplomacy" nor "Exploration per se ... while the first one was technically included in the second one, nobody is talking about "Scan 5 Plants" - Nonsense or something similar ...

Makes me wonder if you actually ever played one ... and if you did, I'd like to know what was so terrible about them ? ... imho they were nice little "Trivia"- Missions, which required actual "reading comprehension" for a change ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I wish there was someone at Cryptic whose job it would be to regularly audit and fix up *every* piece of copy in STO/NVW/CO.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • drazursouthclawdrazursouthclaw Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Unless they've changed how this works, most of the text is written AND edited by ONE person. This means that they rarely even get a CHANCE to correct mistakes.

Just another nail in the "WE WANT BUGS FIXED, NOT MORE BUGGY CONTENT" signpost, really
  • ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The day after 9.5 went live, I went around and checked on alot of the NPCs that were related to the Exploration Clusters. I put bug reports in for the ones that still spoke about removed content - hint, all of them. Not one has been corrected, nor do I expect them to be at this point.

If a player can check up to see which content would need updating if removing a portion of the game, why can the devs responsible for the removal not?

Smacks of two-facedness, quoting "standards" and "not wanting to confuse new players", then leaving old dialogue in. Nothing confuses new players more than being told how to do something that they cannot do.

Some of this could be fixed by adding doff assignments to each cluster prompt that used the commodities that each commodity broker talks about. Heck, they could add doff assignments for first contact with sepcies in each cluster while they're at it. At the same time, they could fix the broken doff chains (Ghosts of the Jem Hadar has been reported broken since 9.5 launch as well).

I'm not holding my breath though. Not a single aspect of the exploration-removal doesn't upset me, especially in light on the new grinds and patrols that are in DR (which are equally boring, after the first few playthroughs). I suspect they only kept the cluster prompts because they knew there'd be an even bigger riot if they removed the VR doff chains (note the Delta Quadrant has NO clusters for these)?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    That's not quite true... one of the missions in the Defera Sector still gives Diplomacy points.
    The "Ancestral Sin" daily on Vulcan too. But it's a relic of the pre-doff diplomacy and IIRC only gives 100. It IS a proper diplomatic mission though.

As for first contact missions.... I did a few, they were glitchy, and lame. Seriously.... After doing them 3 times I quit caring about what the people were talking about and button mashed to get rid of the dialog. As for rewards? CxP.... nothing else.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lostyuslostyus Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I read up about this and was really disappointed, all the cluster stuff gone, because cryptic said it wasn't up to date with the rest of the game... so instead of replacing it, (or just leaving it there) they took it out :(
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    walshicus wrote: »
    I wish there was someone at Cryptic whose job it would be to regularly audit and fix up *every* piece of copy in STO/NVW/CO.

That would be one hell of a full time job! :eek: ;)
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This Thread is about "First Contact" Missions not "Diplomacy" nor "Exploration per se ... while the first one was technically included in the second one, nobody is talking about "Scan 5 Plants" - Nonsense or something similar ...

Makes me wonder if you actually ever played one ... and if you did, I'd like to know what was so terrible about them ? ... imho they were nice little "Trivia"- Missions, which required actual "reading comprehension" for a change ...

I did play the "first contact" missions. They were stupid and repetitive. Trivia, lol.

You did get to see the ship's observation lounge, at least.
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You did get to see the ship's observation lounge, at least.

IIRC, you magically appear in a Federation observation lounge, even if you're not in a Federation ship. :D
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Other lies? Santa Claus, the easter bunny, and the tooth fairy.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    IIRC, you magically appear in a Federation observation lounge, even if you're not in a Federation ship. :D
    They weren't the only mission like this. One of the Cardassian missions does it too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They weren't the only mission like this. One of the Cardassian missions does it too.

There was another one to do with the Cardies as well iirc. It was in orbit around Bajor iirc?
    I need a beer.

• ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited December 2014
    Things that define Star Trek:

Exploration of strange new worlds, first contact scenarios, and the exploration of the human condition.

Things that are not in Star Trek Online:

Exploration of strange new worlds, first contact scenarios, and the exploration of the human condition.

Things that are NOT in Star Trek:

Federation-backed Genocide. Slave Trade in the Federation. WMD's (eg, Tharalon) in the Federation. Genetic engineering to improve the species (Augments, illegal).

Things that ARE in Star Trek Online:

Federation-backed Genocide. Slave Trade in the Federation (officers for sale on the exchange). WMD's (eg, Tharalon) in the Federation. Genetic engineering to improve the species (Buy your new trait today!).
  • opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the replies and lack of flaming. I may have found the only MMO that is in such a state of disrepair that even dedicated fanboys don't defend it :-P

I guess if I read it in the game dialogue I should still look it up to see if it's a lie or not...
    Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
    Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you're in the mood for first contact or non-violent diplomacy missions, you may enjoy several of my foundry missions:

@kirkfat
    "The Needs of the Few"
    "Return to Terra Nova"
    "Explore Delta Volanis, part 1"
    "Explore Delta Volanis, part 2"

Also, exploration with light-combat: "Relics" and "Helna of Troy."

I also recommend Forgetmenot's spotlight, which iirc lets you choose between diplomacy and combat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    themartian wrote: »
    I ground diplomacy xp for the Orion boff on one of my alts before the doff system. That's some content I really don't miss. I'd love it if they had some proper exploration and diplomacy content in this game, but I doubt we'll see it without some tedious grind tacked on to suck the joy out of it.

That's the only thing this game is about these days: tedious grind that takes forever and ever, constantly sucking all the fun out of this game.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    If you're in the mood for first contact or non-violent diplomacy missions, you may enjoy several of my foundry missions:

@kirkfat
    "The Needs of the Few"
    "Return to Terra Nova"
    "Explore Delta Volanis, part 1"
    "Explore Delta Volanis, part 2"

Also, exploration with light-combat: "Relics" and "Helna of Troy."

I also recommend Forgetmenot's spotlight, which iirc lets you choose between diplomacy and combat.

Sounds like fun, I will definitely try those out. If for no other reason than the name "Kirkfat" is awesome. In my low expectations from Cr*ptic I almost completely forgot about the foundry. Thanks!!
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    opensorce3 wrote: »
    In my low expectations from Cr*ptic I almost completely forgot about the foundry. Thanks!!

I think you'll be surprised by the creativity of many Trek fans IF you can find their missions. The UI is terrible and somehow Cryptic thinks it's a good idea to only let you see like 50 missions, most of which are loot grinders outside of the spotlight listings.

There are lots of good authors out there who tell Star Trek stories in a way that Cryptic does not. I don't blame the main writer, who does what she can when her bosses are probably saying...

"We need a story for a two faction game, but don't spend too much time on the Klingons... Now we want to sell a Tholian lockbox... Make it work... OK, now... Dinos with lazerz! Make the story work. OK... now make the Delta Quadrant work!"

Fans don't have to deal with that. We can make the stories that we like to experience. For me, that often involves diplomacy and missions that deal with hot button issues and debates. That fits my perceptions of what Star Trek is all about far more than buckets, shinies, and rinse n' repeat adventure zones.

Anyway, thanks for being open-minded about our fanfic. If more of you played them, maybe they'd fix the UI or devote some schedule time to getting it out of Beta after 3 years or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]