test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ok, the Sarr Theln is pretty nice.

seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
So, if you started from 0 and did the race everyday, today marks the day you would unlock the Sarr Theln Carrier. That means a lot of people are getting new ships today. :D

After playing with it for a while, I have to say I'm surprised. I admit, I thought they would give us a junk pile since it was a 'free ship,' but I must admit this ship is actually quite nice. It does lack a bit of punch due to the Carrier Pet Nerf, but overall it's a very nice and effective ship. Damage is still solid, and has pretty good staying power. Science abilities are nice, it's just a little thin on Engineering.

This is what I'm running on mine right now, what are you guys running on it and how do you like it? I really wanted to double up on OSS, but I can't live without one copy of EPTW, EPTS and Engineering Team.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised they gave us such a nice ship as a reward. It's quite a pleasant surprise.
Insert witty signature line here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Remember to slot both Reactive Repair Nanites and Radiant Nanite Cloud in active starship traits. You'll heal your carrier pets much faster. [/sarcasm]
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    a3001 wrote: »
    Remember to slot both Reactive Repair Nanites and Radiant Nanite Cloud in active starship traits. You'll heal your carrier pets much faster. [/sarcasm]

It WILL end all quenes faster....

Literally...

:cool:
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i agree, i was totally shocked to find they were giving us a T6 ship this year, ive had mine for some time now thanks to saved pics from last year and for a free ship its the best.
    i also have the DR ship pack and can say it also measures up quite well against the paid for ships.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    i like it i am getting elite romulan fighters for it :) need one more and i am done.. :D

Just so you know, after the recent Carrier Pet Nerf there is almost no difference between the Advanced and Elite fighters. I used the Fleet Marks on other things and went with the Advanced, they're surprisingly capable even after the nerf.
    a3001 wrote: »

I don't have the Dauntless, but I'm assuming this was sarcastically advised because something bad happens. Is this the trait bug that crashes the game?

i agree, i was totally shocked to find they were giving us a T6 ship this year, ive had mine for some time now thanks to saved pics from last year and for a free ship its the best.
    i also have the DR ship pack and can say it also measures up quite well against the paid for ships.

Yeah, people said prior to the event that they were going to give away a T6, but I quietly had my doubts. I was a little surprised to see they did indeed give away a T6, I was even more surprised when I unlocked it and found it to actually be a quite capable and useful ship.
  • Options
    jimbosteinjimbostein Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just so you know, after the recent Carrier Pet Nerf there is almost no difference between the Advanced and Elite fighters.

That's a very general statement. It is true, that some pets like the kar'fi ones or xindi (or many of the fighters) don't have a distinct advantage between advanced and elite. But others still are worth getting. The elite mesh weavers gain APB3, which lets it fire off more often. More significantly in your case, the breen elite frigates get the breen energy dissipator, which the advanced ones don't have. Having 4 of those (w/ 4 pets) fire on one target could incapacitate it.

Now, is that worth 200k fleet credits? Well, those credits can get you a plethora of better gear if you don't have it yet...but sometimes the elite pets are still worth getting. If it just increases most abilities, meh. But if it adds additional weapons, look in to it.
  • Options
    jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am rather pleased with mine after taking it for a spin. I am not surprised that it is good, the chel grett and plesh brek are both fine ships as well.

I am playing around with the breen console set for giggles and to see if I like it. The jury is still out, but I will probably remove them and put my normal consoles on it.
    My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I don't have the Dauntless, but I'm assuming this was sarcastically advised because something bad happens. Is this the trait bug that crashes the game?

Let me put it this way: curiosity ensured the death of Schrodinger's Cat.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    bro man i don't care about the nerf.. its something i like.. if i say i like pizza you dont like something that just me.. .. so it don't matter

Yeah, I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

I was just trying to save you 200k Fleet Marks, if you prefer the Elites though, by all means get them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    oh they don't cost me 200k fleet marks i get them from romulan rep... easy

240 marks 35,000 dill 30 white comman duffs 40,000 credits, that is pretty easy to earn..

Ah, cool. gotcha! :D

I never tried those, they look nice though. Hope they work good for ya, they're a little on the pricey side. Probably worth it though.
  • Options
    lordkasulordkasu Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Elite Scorps have HYT1 + plasma torps, Normal and Adv do not.
  • Options
    synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=nosferatuengi2_0

EDIT: Skill planner error, Im not running the Breen Dissapator, But the Resonant console that comes with it.

Thats what I'm running on my Engi, first toon to get it. Thought I'd miss EPTS/W. But with Dual Energy Siphon. bah, don't miss it at all. lol

Modified Fleet kar'fi build. So it was easy. Also tested it with Elite Scorps because of the Plesh Brek bug, But, thats what I was running on my Kar'Fi anyways, and wanted to compare. But, being down one weapon doesnt phase the ship compared to the Fleet Kar'Fi. I get another 2k DPS outta this over the Fleet Kar'Fi. OSS for the win.

Great "Free" ship. Way to go Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So, if you started from 0 and did the race everyday, today marks the day you would unlock the Sarr Theln Carrier. That means a lot of people are getting new ships today. :D

After playing with it for a while, I have to say I'm surprised. I admit, I thought they would give us a junk pile since it was a 'free ship,' but I must admit this ship is actually quite nice. It does lack a bit of punch due to the Carrier Pet Nerf, but overall it's a very nice and effective ship. Damage is still solid, and has pretty good staying power. Science abilities are nice, it's just a little thin on Engineering.

This is what I'm running on mine right now, what are you guys running on it and how do you like it? I really wanted to double up on OSS, but I can't live without one copy of EPTW, EPTS and Engineering Team.

I have to admit, I'm a little surprised they gave us such a nice ship as a reward. It's quite a pleasant surprise.

Like the ship alot and I plan on using it for some time on my KDF toon. For the moment using this. Blank spaces are the 3 breen consoles and elite frigate pets. Doffs: conns for TT, diplomat for more drain and warp theorist energy syphon variant.
    About the pets, the elite version of the frigates are not a waste, especially if u have maha raptor trait ;) But then again I dont give a TRIBBLE about DPS min-maxing. If it kills stuff, its good in my book. And I saw them killing kazon raiders by themselfs in Argala patrol on advanced dificulty.
    Anyway, its a fun build to play with the ship.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a nice ship I'll turn as a sci ship for my sci captain, when I'll have the R&D traits and all the consoles.
    On my Engi captain, I'm trying to make it work as a carrier (tanky with some DPS).

I was a bit sad to see how fast the frigates are killed however. They last as long as fighters do on others carriers, that's weird. To they grab aggro and die ?

Anyway, versatile ship, and free. It's nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    It's a nice ship I'll turn as a sci ship for my sci captain, when I'll have the R&D traits and all the consoles.
    On my Engi captain, I'm trying to make it work as a carrier (tanky with some DPS).

I was a bit sad to see how fast the frigates are killed however. They last as long as fighters do on others carriers, that's weird. To they grab aggro and die ?

Anyway, versatile ship, and free. It's nice.

I'm running mine as a drain boat - its probably as effective as a recluse drain build, but with added polaron drain chances due to the plesh pets. Toss on rom plasma sci consoles and its great fun

(tyken+es3+polaron faw+high spec plasmonic leech+pet breen dissapators+subsystem: shield can drain a tac cube (can't get my breen dissapator yt due to the glitch)
  • Options
    kipperpiekipperpie Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Sorry to be the doom and gloom merchant, but they can afford to be so generous because the real focus of their financing has moved to getting people to spend money in R&D, upgrading weapons etc.

So as players get to the end of Delta Rising content, and struggle with or just abandon the PvE queues and reputation grind due to failing optionals, the obvious progression path means upgrading your equipment; if Cryptic can then keep nudging you towards different builds, or just resetting your current main build with a slightly more powerful, newer ship, you're more likely to dip into the upgrade path yet again, and spend more money hurrying that up.

So expect lots, lots more Tier 6 and then 7 and then... Unless the metrics show people turn against the R&D process too much, and then they'll think again.

Of course, they have always given Breen ships at Xmas. That much follows tradition. But don't you feel like upgrading that shiny new Carrier you've got, eh? Eh? You've not had a carrier for some time either, have you? They haven't been very good for a while compared to Beam boats. But you've spent way too much time on those already, they're dull, right? But oooh a new powerful carrier! And imagine how much more powerful it could be with a few months spent on upgrading it's equipment! Eh? EH?!

That's why Cryptic can afford to be generous. Sorry to be the grinch, but it is what it is; I'm not denying you like the ship. I hope you get much pleasure out of it. But that's the lure behind which the real hook is hidden. The design depends on you liking it, rather than say having new content to play.
  • Options
    crazyned1066crazyned1066 Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I'm please with this ship with my Fed Characters, but a little disappointed using it with my KDF guys.

As far as I can tell, you can't equip anything but fighters. I'd like to be able to equip frigates. I'll probably go back to my Kar'Fi T5U...
  • Options
    immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You can use frigates.

You have to have the raider also on the same character and then you can get the frigate pets. That is what I am stuck on. I have unlocked the carrier and then I unlocked the raider on another character and the thing is bugged so it is not giving me the discount on the character that has the carrier.

Eventually it will be fixed and then you can just claim the raider on your carrier character and then go buy frigate pets.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am using this as my permanent ship for one character. I'm curious for anyone with the elite frigates - do you see them using the energy dissipater very often? If so, does it seem to do anything?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    crazyned1066crazyned1066 Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    immudzen wrote: »
    You can use frigates.

You have to have the raider also on the same character and then you can get the frigate pets. That is what I am stuck on. I have unlocked the carrier and then I unlocked the raider on another character and the thing is bugged so it is not giving me the discount on the character that has the carrier.

Eventually it will be fixed and then you can just claim the raider on your carrier character and then go buy frigate pets.

Thanks for the info! I can try this on my one character that has the raider - I have the same bug and can't get the raider on my other characters.

Will this unlock all frigate options or am I limited to the Breen?
  • Options
    immudzenimmudzen Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the info! I can try this on my one character that has the raider - I have the same bug and can't get the raider on my other characters.

Will this unlock all frigate options or am I limited to the Breen?

Frigates are carrier specific. You can only have the breen frigates on the breen carrier.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wandering Scorn, though I may change the name to the build name on STOA. Sarr Wheee...Sor-reee...Sorry. Lol, maybe I'm still asleep. ;)

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/index.php?build=sarrwheee_5343

Is nothing that I would fly into any Advanced/Elite content, well - outside of Advanced Crystalline which they nerfed to make easier than the regular one was (man, that was fun when it was first buffed)...

...I'm just testing things from time to time on it. Hrmm, I didn't even do the DOFFing yesterday. Funny, to have gone from the 2x DOFFing a day, hitting up some PvE queues, some PvP queues or Ker'rat, and dorking around testing things to...um, yeah, hrmmm - I log in once a day to do the race on the one toon to get an unlock that doesn't sound like it's been fixed (since I got and deleted the original Chel on a toon before they implemented discounts).

Really wish they'd done the ship three years ago, oh well.
  • Options
    pashganpashgan Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Carrier is surprisingly nice sci boat. Thanks, Cryptic!

However it could be even better if other two ships weren't bugged so I could have elite raider pets...
  • Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I put my klingon carrier users in them finally they have a t6 carrier (would have prefered a klingon one but it will do ^^)

Now i am busy deciding what i am going to upgrade or change to make it my permanent ship for them (since its the only choice so far for them)

I might even put my tactical dude in one although I use them on my engineer and sci officer because they dont have many options on the klingon side.

I like the ship its pretty decent the only small itty bitty issue i had was the interior the only part done is the bridge there is no other parts to it like my other ships which I can wander around in. The bridge is cool but I like to visit the messhall often in my ship with friends.
  • Options
    synthiasuicidesynthiasuicide Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Ok, Got it on my main earlier. Plus got the Plesh Brek Frigs.
    Without any leveling up, I didnt have time, gotta go to work. Jumped straight into ISA.

This is a tac that normally fly's a Monbosh at a steady 28k in ISA. And setting it up same as my Engie I posted yesterday I did 26k in both runs. So I lost 2k, but alot more fun for sure.

Both Pug's had a Scimitar in it with Elite Drones. The Drones did 5k-5.1k, My Elite Plesh Brek's did 4.9k-5K total, so about 2.5k a hanger. So drones are better. But, man had a blast. love this ship. And 2.5k a hanger aint bad. Sure this toon does more per weapon slot. Like 3.5k a weapon while in the Monbosh. So that makes sense. I traded 2k dps. 1k per weapon for a hanger.

But, it's basically a Drain/DPS hybrid. Running no EPTW/S which is the first time I ever had a ship without them what I saw as "Vital" never leave home without skills. So it's a nice change.

Don't have my Doffs completely figured out. Gotta run. Looking forward to getting off work and Finalizing the build. Great ship Cryptic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ummax wrote: »

I like the ship its pretty decent the only small itty bitty issue i had was the interior the only part done is the bridge there is no other parts to it like my other ships which I can wander around in. The bridge is cool but I like to visit the messhall often in my ship with friends.

That bit is on purpose. Basically, wasn't making returns on investments.