Options

Elite Dangerous Combat looks boring?

13»

Comments

• Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    You are making a limited assumption about every STO player. There are lots of STO players that would love the sandbox nature of Elite Dangerous. After all, there are a lot of PvPers in this game that would love an MMO that has good space dogfights and rewards PvP. STO is a very casual game that focuses on story content and it will never be anything more than that, but don't make the idiotic assumption that every STO player is the same.

If anything will harm Elite Dangerous, it is the lack of meaningful content. Sandboxes work because it is the players that make the game into what they want. Trading, mining, killing, and exploring will get boring for most players. However, if a player can create their own commercial empire or colony, then it might keep them in the game.

Maybe they don't have the Shift, period, or comma key on their keyboard.

i can tell you i will play ED a lot longer than i ever did sto

and maybe i dont give a TRIBBLE about spelling or care what yall say or maybe i have a learning disability that i was diagnosed at 12 years old called Gerstmann syndrome either way dont really care what is hard for you and your grammar TRIBBLE to follow ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Maybe they don't have the Shift, period, or comma key on their keyboard.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »

and maybe i dont give a TRIBBLE about spelling or care what yall say or maybe i have a learning disability that i was diagnosed at 12 years old called Gerstmann syndrome either way dont really care what is hard to follow or not im not a grammar TRIBBLE like most of yall are ;)

Listen, I asked nicely and you don't need to tell me I am a TRIBBLE. You could have said that with a nicer tone towards me and I think this is able to do with most disabilities.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014

and maybe i dont give a TRIBBLE about spelling or care what yall say or maybe i have a learning disability that i was diagnosed at 12 years old called Gerstmann syndrome either way dont really care what is hard for you and your grammar TRIBBLE to follow ;)

If you love Elite Dangerous, then good for you. However, if I were you, then I would call it Elite Dangerous instead of ED since ED is a very uncomfortable medical condition.

As far as grammar or spelling goes, it is all about understanding. If other players can't understand what you are trying to say, then it becomes a problem.
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    circle, circle, circle, faw, faw, faw, faw,
    Funny you should mention fire at will: http://i.imgur.com/AOWYGHz.jpg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems players there are already working on beam/turret boats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUFsw-Dx4U
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    solemkof wrote: »
    Funny you should mention fire at will: http://i.imgur.com/AOWYGHz.jpg
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems players there are already working on beam/turret boats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIUFsw-Dx4U

so what sto only game can have beams ? stop talking about a game you know nothing about because if you did you would know beams are effective in the game
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stop talking about a game you know nothing about
    If you want to discuss only with people who play Elite: Dangerous, their forums are over there: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=29
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Seriously? We are still stuck with people "fighting" each other about their favourite games in the other games' forums? (It even goes so far as using the term "your developers")
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Guys, I've played a little of Elite Dangerous (only a little because my GPU is ancient and I really should have realised that sooner :rolleyes:), and I can tell you that if you enjoyed games like Freespace and X (especially X), you'll probably enjoy Elite. The combat may be slow, but it's also more intense with 6 directions of motion.

And, personally, docking is an extremely entertaining challenge for me. I once blasted into the station and almost came down on top of my landing pad.

However, comparing it to STO is like comparing Apples and Oranges. STO is an MMORPG. Elite is a Sandbox, Space Combat Simulator RPG. They appeal to different crowds. I just happen to be part of both.

If you enjoyed Freespace, Freelancer, X or the original Elite, odds are you'll like Elite Dangerous. If you only like games with storylines like Mass Effect, STO, etc, then you probably won't enjoy Elite Dangerous.

Also, to the OP, are you seriously telling me you bought a game without watching gameplay on youtube first? Note for the future; do that with every game from now on. Otherwise, you could end up getting leeched out of cash by games like Rome II: Total War, Assassin's Creed: Unity, etc. It's always best to check gameplay of a game before buying it. I bought Elite because I'd been watching gameplay of it on Youtube since its Alpha and I liked what I saw. The fact I can't run it is my own fault for thinking a GeForce 9400 would support a game likely using the latest version of Direct3D.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Yes, yes, and yes (if you turn off your flight stabilizer, you fly almost completely newtonian).

So you can warp from the asteroid belt to Earth in just a few seconds? The trailer makes it look like it is possible to come to a complete stop while doing a 180 degree turn in a second and none of the gameplay videos I have seen about Elite Dangerous made the game look that good. The trailer is not a gameplay trailer so obviously it will have stuff that is not in the game like dogfighting around a starbase.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    you really need to get over the trailer or we going into how sto is not the game that was talked about before it came out
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you really need to get over the trailer or we going into how sto is not the game that was talked about before it came out

Feel free to bring up old STO laundry. A lot of it is worthy of derision. I bring up old dirty STO laundry all the time as well as some of the dumb **** that the devs do with the game. Please, bring it up.

The ED trailer makes it seem like every waking moment is combat. It make sit seem every sortie that space will be filled with combat with tons of ships flying around blowing up. Knowing the history of space games ED draws lineage from, that's a complete lie.

But you know what's funny? The trailer as has already been mentioned make ED seem every waking moment is combat and talks up none of the aspects that make the kind of space game ED is. NONE of it. The trailer shows combat, combat, and more combat, and no mention at all of the open world and trading. NOTHING. But STO? Based on a franchise that did have elements of combat but had other adventures as well, STO is nothing BUT combat. Recall all those threads of complaints by players on "Where's the Exploration in STO?" Yet STO lives up to the whole combat ideal while ED is not fundamentally based on that.

It's all hilarious, really, even though the 2 titles are completely different. Have fun drawing in customers that bought ED for the trailer, expecting the 2014 version of a Star Wars game, but are experiencing long, long lulls in between the action of ED.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The ED trailer makes it seem like every waking moment is combat.

well as one who actually plays the game it is want to know why because im a bounty hunter i make my money killing wanted ppl :) for someone who is a pirates every second is combat try playing the game before talking about something you know nothing aboout and sorry you are not going to get to know what the game is like from youtube videos
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    well as one who actually plays the game it is want to know why because im a bounty hunter i make my money killing wanted ppl :) for someone who is a pirates every second is combat try playing the game before talking about something you know nothing aboout and sorry you are not going to get to know what the game is like from youtube videos

LOL, I know what the game's about. I also am very familiar with the lineage ED draws from and what it tries to be. The trailer is a complete lie, but hey, don't let me stop you from trying to TRIBBLE up people's skirts and tell them it's raining.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    LOL, I know what the game's about. I also am very familiar with the lineage ED draws from and what it tries to be. The trailer is a complete lie, but hey, don't let me stop you from trying to TRIBBLE up people's skirts and tell them it's raining.

DR is the best Xpack and the players love it ;)

and i will not denie the fact the trailer is some what misleading but so is just about every thing you see on TV from TV adds to fast foods adds to movies adds its the way the world is

but some of yall do act as if this is the only game to do such a thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    DR is the best Xpack and the players love it ;)

and i will not denie the fact the trailer is some what misleading but so is just about every thing you see on TV from TV adds to fast foods adds to movies adds its the way the world is

but some of yall do act as if this is the only game to do such a thing

So in the end, you admit. You were just full of **** :P
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So in the end, you admit. You were just full of **** :P

you need to look up the meaning of some what and really need to get over your self man you ppl make me ashamed to even like star trek
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm loving it too bits so much so I ordered my HOTAS as keyboard/mouse is annoying.

got my cobra with 40T cap and an off bounty hunting... :D

time will tell with it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm loving it too bits so much so I ordered my HOTAS as keyboard/mouse is annoying.

got my cobra with 40T cap and an off bounty hunting... :D

time will tell with it.

same here got me a HOTAS before the game was released and glad i did no way i would be as good at it with mouse and keyboard you should add me as a friend im Emperor J.R. even have my own private group
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    torgaddon101torgaddon101 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    will do.

evilestkhan is me.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    will do.

evilestkhan is me.

sent you a friend request on here and ED i have my own teamspeak 3 server if you like to have ppl to talk with
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited December 2014
    I don't suppose that it is anything like SC...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    I don't suppose that it is anything like SC...

imo i think it is like SC but ive not played in the SC AC but there is no getting out your ship going around stations yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    A friend has ED and let me whirl it. I watched him play more though. Frankly, @markhawkman's link is pretty much spot on.

Have fun over there. I'll have fun over here :)