Install Arc
Options

Elite Dangerous Combat looks boring?

Comments

• Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    just as an fyi, the warp effect you go through in elite is your loading screen. you think you're just warping but the visual's disguising your computer slowly loading the upcoming system into your ram. so whether it's 5 seconds of warp display or 5 seconds of a trek pic it's still just phasing you into a different instance every time you go to a different planetary system.

no kidding

except one of them keeps you immersed in the game universe and the other one keeps jerking you out of it
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    no kidding

except one of them keeps you immersed in the game universe and the other one keeps jerking you out of it
    i'd rather spend 10 seconds looking at some cool game pics then spend the same amount of time watching some wiggly lines zoom past me. ymmv

as an adult, and not some 4 year old who can't distinguish between really flying a space ship or playing a game, the notion of immersion is meaningless. i'm sitting in a chair scratching my left nut waiting for the loading screen to end so i can play. that's all there is to it. we're all just waiting for the adventure to begin.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    for most of you care umm sto players stick with sto plz ED is better off :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    no kidding

indeed this not to say sto is a box with in boxes no way to really stay immersed in sto ive yet to hit a invisible wall in ED
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    for most of you care umm sto players stick with sto plz ED is better off :)

And we are better off without ED. Far too many STO players suffer from ED.
  • Options
    fireseeedfireseeed Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    One thing that I don't get is why they felt the need to NOT have automated dock/undock....

There is, it called a docking computer, you have to buy it and it takes up a 1 tonne of specious space on my ship, and it was worst at docking than I'm, so I sold it, by design through it been a long tradition in elite games that the docking computer is terrible at docking. :P

But one of the best parts of the game was me nearly being killed when a bunch of npc ganging up on me, brilliant fun, but they blew my canopy out and I only had 7 minutes to fly to leave the system, find a system with a friendly docking station, and make the quickest landing I have ever made, I had about 20 seconds left on the clock, it was absolutely thrilling and one hell of a ride. I think I may have made another human pilot **** his pants when I flew in to the station with after burners on full and I must have been less then a inch away from his little Sidewinder.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    fireseeed wrote: »
    There is, it called a docking computer, you have to buy it and it takes up a 1 tonne of specious space on my ship, and it was worst at docking than I'm, so I sold it, by design through it been a long tradition in elite games that the docking computer is terrible at docking. :P

they love to talk about a game they no nothing about and its not the first time they did it with ED
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    they love to talk about a game they no nothing about and its not the first time they did it with ED
    and you're still here, on the sto forum, playing the forum game rather then there playing elite. that tells me everything i need to know about how great elite must be. :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    stf65 wrote: »
    and you're still here, on the sto forum, playing the forum game rather then there playing elite. that tells me everything i need to know about how great elite must be. :)

dude i play 16 hours a day since launch maybe i am taking a break ;) and you talk about playing the forums tells anyone everything they need to know about how great sto is :D now get back to the grind sweatshops that is sto because Everything is Awesome

also if you going to judge how great a game is by someone being on the forums you should have stop playing games a very long time ago ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    So before I buy this game I checked out a few YouTube videos. Compared to what I'm used to on STO the combat looked pretty boring, took ages just to kill a single ship. The space environment graphics look great but the ships don't look as good as those in STO and the explosions when they do blow are not as good as STO.

In addition from what I've read on their forums you had better be prepared to go and make lots of cups of coffee whilst waiting to actually get somewhere and when you do arrive the space stations and star systems look more or less the same everywhere.

Am I wrong, anyone playing it?

LOL!

You are troll baiting HARD son.

I would tell you how stupid your statements are, but, I don't think I need to.

Don't even make me open up to how fallible your statements are here and compare Elite Dangerous to the failure that is STO. Not to mention its tiny little boxes of space.

Hell your own developers had the nerve to say that the game was too big.

If you want to find a forum where people say things that make you go "What. the. hell." then the STO forum has always been the place for that.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    all Elite game since 1984 have been space sim dont know why you thought this one be any different you google Ed and i "Elite: Dangerous is a space adventure, trading, and combat simulator that is the fourth installment in the Elite video game series." Picard face palm.............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    solemkofsolemkof Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    all Elite game since 1984 have been space sim dont know why you thought this one be any different you google Ed and i "Elite: Dangerous is a space adventure, trading, and combat simulator that is the fourth installment in the Elite video game series." Picard face palm.............
    It could have something to do with the official trailer [1] and its misrepresentation of the game [2]; or with the people claiming "it will mean many players leaving STO" implying there's significant overlap between those interested in STO and those interested in ED.
  • Options
    sheracsherac Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm old enough to remember playing the original in 1984 on my Amiga. Yes I knew it was more of a sim but didn't think it was more like Microsoft flight simulator. I do like sims but not that much in space, however I've got it and will try to find time to learn it, I'm sure I will like it better once I know how to play.

For straight up excitement STO has it beat if you're a new player, for vets STO is lacking something, a big something, but as I'm LTS I'm here for the long haul, just waiting to see what they do about it next year.

Elite is absolutely nothing like Flight Simulator. You obviously have never played Flight Simulator. There is nothing difficult about playing Elite. There is little to really learn past the first day or so and any game takes several days (that is worth playing) to get a good grasp on what you're doing.

I'll put it this way, if you want sprinkly little glittered paths outlining your way to the next "objective" and want your hand held, Elite is obviously not for you and I have no problem with that.
    solemkof wrote: »
    It could have something to do with the official trailer [1] and its misrepresentation of the game [2]; or with the people claiming "it will mean many players leaving STO" implying there's significant overlap between those interested in STO and those interested in ED.

It's funny how you make false claims using what is probably too big of a word (misrepresentation) for you while not backing up that claim with why you feel it is so. Elite never claimed to hold your hand or be anything that it wasn't in its past incarnations. You only have yourself to blame if you are disappointed or didn't understand.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,382 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sherac wrote: »
    It's funny how you make false claims using what is probably too big of a word (misrepresentation) for you while not backing up that claim with why you feel it is so. Elite never claimed to hold your hand or be anything that it wasn't in its past incarnations. You only have yourself to blame if you are disappointed or didn't understand.
    Did you watch that trailer? There's a little tiny disclaimer, right at the beginning, in type almost the same color as its background, stating that what you're seeing isn't actual game footage; however, the rest of it tries its hardest to imply that what you're getting into is high-speed, high-resolution dogfighting combat straight out of a sci-fi movie, with swooping spaceships and flashing lasers everywhere.

What you get is nothing like that. In the business, we call that "misrepresentation". It would be like STO running a commercial (I know, right?) featuring the JJTrek Kelvin during its fight with the Nerada - point-defense phasers shooting, barbed torpedoes slicing low over the hull, all that TRIBBLE that never actually happens in the game.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    geckoisalizardgeckoisalizard Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Combat is difficult and FUN in ED. 6 axis of movement makes it a challenge, add in physics, leading your target, etc, makes for some intense battles.

STO, you don't need to think in combat, for the majority its *click buffs, circle, circle, circle, faw, faw, faw, faw, click heals, repeat*

As people have said, Elite Dangerous is a space siimulator. I love the exploring, planning your jumps to the maximium your FSD will go and not run out of fuel.

At the moment I'm mainly doing smuggling runs, were I look for stolen goods to sell on the black market. ^^

EDIT: I knew EXACTLY what to expect, as I played the old elite back in the 80's as a small tyke, read about it, watched actual IN GAME videos
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Did you watch that trailer? There's a little tiny disclaimer, right at the beginning, in type almost the same color as its background, stating that what you're seeing isn't actual game footage; however, the rest of it tries its hardest to imply that what you're getting into is high-speed, high-resolution dogfighting combat straight out of a sci-fi movie, with swooping spaceships and flashing lasers everywhere.

What you get is nothing like that. In the business, we call that "misrepresentation". It would be like STO running a commercial (I know, right?) featuring the JJTrek Kelvin during its fight with the Nerada - point-defense phasers shooting, barbed torpedoes slicing low over the hull, all that TRIBBLE that never actually happens in the game.

That trailer reminds me of the Bridge to Terabithia trailer. I go into the movie theater and expect a movie similar to Chronicles of Narnia where a bunch of kids travel to a fantasy world since that is what the trailer was about, but I get a movie about children using their imaginations with 90% of it in the real world.

Although, I find the majority of game trailers to be misrepresentation since the graphics in trailers are usually better than what you can get.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    if you a BH or a pirate its spot on and as i said plz stay with your grind that is sto dont need yall coming over and get ED dumb down because it too much for yall........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These games look interesting on their demo's but STO game play is much different. I am sure the CEO of STO would like us all to beam-up to our ship bridge and sit in our captain/Fleet Adm chair and navigate the ship from there. Or even actually dock inside the ESD instead of of outside. It could be done but the current Game Engine and PC requirements would change.

I use to beta test and play Vega Conflict Level 30 Space base of course that game is no where near STO graphics. That game is basically controlling several fleets of ships and you launch one ship made up of 5 ships into one by using X-Mouse String. A few taps of the mouse to keep them in formation. Then you attack another player so it's PVP. They use animated Sector Wormholes to jump to other sectors then the planets of that sector look like this ED game your talking about. My home planet was quiet until Sector 600 invaded it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    if you a BH or a pirate its spot on and as i said plz stay with your grind that is sto dont need yall coming over and get ED dumb down because it too much for yall........

So warp drive or whatever Elite Dangerous calls it is that fast, the graphics are that good, and your ship can do 180 degree turns as the trailer indicates?

Telling us to stay away from the game seems to indicate the quality of the game. If it was a great game, then fans of Elite Dangerous would try to convince us that we are making a big mistake by not playing the game.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Here's a gameplay video - it's intended as instruction for the early game. (I was rather surprised to learn that if you salvage anything from a wrecked ship, even if you didn't do the wrecking, it's apparently flagged as "stolen" and can earn you wanted status.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Telling us to stay away from the game seems to indicate the quality of the game. If it was a great game, then fans of Elite Dangerous would try to convince us that we are making a big mistake by not playing the game.

i tell you to stay away from it because yall like to have every thing easy like to be coddled like a baby i been with sto from the start like how yall wanted stf drops put in to a rep grind system because boohoo i played for 6 months and never got a drop so as i said dumb down and i dont want yall to infect ED the same way because ED does not treat you like a baby and i want it to stay that way

stay with your sto :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Daan, my evaluation of your opinion is colored by your typing. Quite frankly, you come across as someone who is either extremely young, quite poorly educated, or both. Accordingly, I have to assume that a game which appeals to you would be quite unpalatable to me.

So worry not - I'll be steering well clear of this potential gankfest. I had my fill of that in WoW, thanks anyway.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Assuming FD stays on track, this game will be a lot more fun to play a year or so down the road, when some of the more exciting talked about features makes it into the game. Controlling capital ships, landing on highly detailed planets, getting out of your ship and walking around stations, ports, even larger ships, ground combat, etc.

That's the game I want to play.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    So worry not - I'll be steering well clear of this potential gankfest. I had my fill of that in WoW, thanks anyway.

you dont know how happy i am to hear that :) and boohoo learn to play wow and you will not get gank or dont pick a pvp server :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you dont know how happy i am to hear that :) and boohoo learn to play wow and you will not get gank or dont pick a pvp server :)

could you please use , and . in your posts again?

It is very hard to follow what you write. Would be very kind, thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    i tell you to stay away from it because yall like to have every thing easy like to be coddled like a baby i been with sto from the start like how yall wanted stf drops put in to a rep grind system because boohoo i played for 6 months and never got a drop so as i said dumb down and i dont want yall to infect ED the same way because ED does not treat you like a baby and i want it to stay that way

stay with your sto :)

You are making a limited assumption about every STO player. There are lots of STO players that would love the sandbox nature of Elite Dangerous. After all, there are a lot of PvPers in this game that would love an MMO that has good space dogfights and rewards PvP. STO is a very casual game that focuses on story content and it will never be anything more than that, but don't make the idiotic assumption that every STO player is the same.

If anything will harm Elite Dangerous, it is the lack of meaningful content. Sandboxes work because it is the players that make the game into what they want. Trading, mining, killing, and exploring will get boring for most players. However, if a player can create their own commercial empire or colony, then it might keep them in the game.
    could you please use , and . in your posts again?

It is very hard to follow what you write. Would be very kind, thank you very much.

Maybe they don't have the Shift, period, or comma key on their keyboard.