test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal: main viewscreen on bridge

captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
Hi there,

Before anyone starts ranting that it cannot be done, i know (2 maps cannot exist into 1)but hear me out.

Is it possible to change the main viewscreen picture or animation with a generic picture of the location where you are? for example if you are parked in ESD map, your viewscreen on the bridge shows a generic picture of ESD.
in sector space it should be just the starfield, in the nebulas it would show the nebula and so on...

it is a small change but i think a lot of people would like it.
any thoughts?
Post edited by captainkenny1 on

Comments

• stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Your bridge is a seperate map/instance. It doesn't know where you're actually are as your location has been changed from "space" (f.e. ESD) to "ground" (your bridge).

This is what Tacofangs had to say about it;
    The problem, as stated by others, is that your "character" is both a ship, and a captain, simultaneously. When you are in space, you are drawn as a ship. When you are on the ground, you are drawn as a person. So, when you are in sector space (as a ship) and go to your bridge (as a person), your ship ceases to exist in sector space. You are no longer there. You are ONLY on your bridge. When you leave your bridge, and go back to sector space, you become a ship again, and your captain (and the bridge) cease to exist.

So, there is no easy way to track you through sector space while you are actually on another map. Again, this is likely possible, but is not set up, and would require significant coding.
    Whole article can be found here.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In all honesty, please stop suggesting new things to cryptic. We have learned that cryptic is not able to handle this.

Instead, please ask to fix this broken expansion & lots of bugs and to balance the game. The Devs at cryptic shouldn't do anything else than repairing what they have broken.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been telling fleet mates that we should be allowed to stream videos on our view screens. But yes, something...anything but a generic star field would be nice.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Your bridge is a seperate map/instance. It doesn't know where you're actually are as your location has been changed from "space" (f.e. ESD) to "ground" (your bridge).

I'm sure that there is SOME way of creating a system log that tracks where you just were for another system to use in picking which viewscreen to display.

But I suspect that the work to payoff ratio would be rather high (ie. not much payoff for a bit of work). Unless there's a reason to be spending time inside our ships (ie. a ship interior revamp) I don't think situational viewscreens could ever been justifiable. Cool, no doubt about that, but not worth the effort.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • captainkenny1captainkenny1 Member Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    well if you log out to change character while you were on your bridge, the location underneath my character seems to know pretty well in which sector i was ?

when i proposed a barrel roll, everybody said it was impossible, well we know how that ended ;)
    edited December 2014
    I'm sure that there is SOME way of creating a system log that tracks where you just were for another system to use in picking which viewscreen to display.
    As a programmer myself I say; there's always a way. As a STO gamer I prefer them to spend actual time cleaning up all the bugs littered in the game. There always going to be bugs, no doubt about it.. But lately it's kind of excessive. We had nerf after nerf after nerf, but defera, tides, layouts, upgrades, foundry, optionals, (some) sci thingies and traits are still broken.
    But I suspect that the work to payoff ratio would be rather high (ie. not much payoff for a bit of work). Unless there's a reason to be spending time inside our ships (ie. a ship interior revamp) I don't think situational viewscreens could ever been justifiable. Cool, no doubt about that, but not worth the effort.
    Which is only logical.
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

• rhiwaow1rhiwaow1 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This is what Tacofangs had to say about it;

Whole article can be found here.

although you can't track your movement through sector space, there already exists a way to track which sector/system you are in: it is accessed when you leave the bridge interior. this could be used to overlay a texture on the view screen, shouldn't be too much effort
    edited December 2014
    rhiwaow1 wrote: »
    although you can't track your movement through sector space, there already exists a way to track which sector/system you are in: it is accessed when you leave the bridge interior. this could be used to overlay a texture on the view screen,
    rhiwaow1 wrote: »
    shouldn't be too much effort
    There ya go; you might want to use this and this :D.
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf

edited December 2014
    As a programmer myself I say; there's always a way. As a STO gamer I prefer them to spend actual time cleaning up all the bugs littered in the game. There always going to be bugs, no doubt about it.. But lately it's kind of excessive. We had nerf after nerf after nerf, but defera, tides, layouts, upgrades, foundry, optionals, (some) sci thingies and traits are still broken.

Indeed. Beard colors are broken, the vaadwuar and kobali weaponry shifts to default polaron visuals, mortar turrets having floating sensor components, and there's a dozen other things going on besides that I could rail on about.

BUT while I may want them to get their **** together (even at the expense of some new content) its not a point worth making when there's merely the question of adding new content since there's absolutely no way that we can assess whether or not this thing would interefere with QA.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There ya go; you might want to use this and this :D.

I'm using this.

I was not happy with the whole expansion speculations months ago so I decided to learn more programming. So, I kinda realize what the person suggested could make sense but we know Cryptic. They are working on the fix to fix the fix of a fix.

Once I have something presentable I make share it with some others not on STO tho. Etc.

http://i.imgur.com/U18hba0.png
    edited December 2014
    I'm using this.

I was not happy with the whole expansion speculations months ago so I decided to learn more programming. So, I kinda realize what the person suggested could make sense but we know Cryptic. They are working on the fix to fix the fix of a fix.

Once I have something presentable I make share it with some others not on STO tho. Etc.

http://i.imgur.com/U18hba0.png
    I've been looking around your channel, that's pretty darn nice there already! How long have you been working on it? I used to work a bit in Cinema4d, but those days are long behind me.
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf

• vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've been looking around your channel, that's pretty darn nice there already! How long have you been working on it? I used to work a bit in Cinema4d, but those days are long behind me.

For some months but I got really sick. So, I'm starting on it again. Since I don't spend much time on STO with all the DR nonsense. I have time to work on my own game project.

Also, I figured out a way to share it. Thank God! So, now if anyone wants to partake into adding or contributing on stuff it's possible. At least I can work on a framework the fundamentally designed for large scale universe ground and space design, ground up not ground down.

It's a good learning experience for sure. Love the sig! Delta Rising is the best expansion EVER!
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014

Pretty much this.

I've discussed this at length in the past. I'm not going to get into the details again.

But here's a summary:

Possible? SURE! It's all code, I'm sure a way could be created for this to work. But that tech does not exist today. The work involved would not be trivial, but the results would be. See it as a failing of the initial design of STO, it would have been easier and better to implement it back then (ignoring the insane time crunch we were under), but it's not something we can just turn on. On top of that, there would be a tremendous amount of Art Team work to be done, taking screenshots of every system, converting all of those screenshots to usable textures, and then modifying/duplicating/implementing ALL of those textures on ALL of the viewscreens on ALL of the Bridges in the game. Again, not impossible, just a lot of work.

If we had the tech, and turned it on tomorrow, people would go to their bridges a couple of times, marvel at the fact that it reflects the space their ship is in, and then promptly forget/ignore it for the rest of time. Bridges need a much larger overhaul to make them relevant, and there's no sense in adding something like this, before that overhaul.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wouldn't it be easier to have it so we can put buttons on the Origin bridge that could show an "out of/back to warp", or lets you see an energy beam, torpedo, probe or shuttle fly off?
  • shipbustershipbuster Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i think there should be tons of shipboard missions. just sayin, but the devs are missing a huge opp for new content without the large scale usually needed
    edited December 2014
    shipbuster wrote: »
    i think there should be tons of shipboard missions. just sayin, but the devs are missing a huge opp for new content without the large scale usually needed

That's how I'd like them to approach an interior revamp as well. Create standardized off-bridge interiors for the FED, KDF, and RR and use that space to structure repeatable mission assignments ranging between ship operations and tactical training scenarios to ST subplots (ex. visiting Betazed ambassador, crewman murdered, first contact mission, boarding action, ferengi scheme, ship disaster, ect.). Anything between a 1 minute set of menu interactions to small episodes (with a randomization factor to decide missions are selected and [as a suggestion] what boffs would be involed for contacts and plot points [to get those more involved with STO story content]).

Add to this some unique ship-board doff assignments (with rewards more similar to dyson sphere special contacts, as oposed to what we have in-ship ATM. Ie. marks, dil, and more Xp.) and maybe a special vendor or two (such as minor crafting/upgrade items, basic gear of a new sort, thinking along the lines of RR plasma reapons) and you might have something worth a season (and might be usable in subsequent FE's).

The trick however would be building in multiplayer content. Ie. providing players with the tools and motivation to bring other people into their ship missions.
  • wilvwilv Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

I've discussed this at length in the past. I'm not going to get into the details again.

But here's a summary:

Possible? SURE! It's all code, I'm sure a way could be created for this to work. But that tech does not exist today. The work involved would not be trivial, but the results would be. See it as a failing of the initial design of STO, it would have been easier and better to implement it back then (ignoring the insane time crunch we were under), but it's not something we can just turn on. On top of that, there would be a tremendous amount of Art Team work to be done, taking screenshots of every system, converting all of those screenshots to usable textures, and then modifying/duplicating/implementing ALL of those textures on ALL of the viewscreens on ALL of the Bridges in the game. Again, not impossible, just a lot of work.

If we had the tech, and turned it on tomorrow, people would go to their bridges a couple of times, marvel at the fact that it reflects the space their ship is in, and then promptly forget/ignore it for the rest of time. Bridges need a much larger overhaul to make them relevant, and there's no sense in adding something like this, before that overhaul.

What about replacing them with windows and moving stars, like the starter bridge?
  • buzz0942buzz0942 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wilv wrote: »
    What about replacing them with windows and moving stars, like the starter bridge?

compromise: replace it with a flying toasters screensaver.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2014

There are a few, but I can appreciate why the focus is in space combat. It's just more fun.

Ground missions in general are fiddly due to mechanics, and in smaller maps with tight corridors and such the Boff AI struggles. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have full away teams every time you went anywhere.

Regarding the OP I'm not going to say the same stuff over, but perhaps an OK-ish compromise is to just have the option to choose from several different still images of stations or space views. Yes you'd have to take a few seconds to change it yourself, but it would be easy to add.
  • reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited December 2014

A big part of the problem with that is that there are so many bridges, and a decent amount of interiors, that 1 mission would need to be made for many many maps.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This would only work if EVERYONE in the game you were playing had to do it to, but imagine controlling your ship from the perspective of the captain's chair...seeing you crew at their stations, still able to fire your weapons in the same way, but your only range of vision be through the viewscreen :D
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Pretty much this.

But here's a summary:

since i don't know exactly how you have the game coded...
    wouldnt you be able to just have a series of img (like jpg) files with the viewscreens calling a picture from the img database?
    That way you could tag the viewscreen area as "display picture from" or something?

I know im horrible at explaining things :D
    edited December 2014
    wouldnt you be able to just have a series of img (like jpg) files with the viewscreens calling a picture from the img database?
    That way you could tag the viewscreen area as "display picture from" or something?

Taco is the graph specialist, not a coder :D. And probably there's more behind putting the pics on a screen then it may look.

If I have to be brutally honest; let the man do his job with fixing current graph or terrain bugs then to ask for something we would only glance to about 2 minutes in a week.
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf

• mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    too bad, i liked the star trek 25th anniversary ship combat, sitting on the bridge watching the viewscreen,being able to interact with the bridge crew, take a look at it on youtube, i think you may be amazed at how it looks.............
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited December 2014

Like I said:

"On top of that, there would be a tremendous amount of Art Team work to be done, taking screenshots of every system, converting all of those screenshots to usable textures, and then modifying/duplicating/implementing ALL of those textures on ALL of the viewscreens on ALL of the Bridges in the game. Again, not impossible, just a lot of work."

Putting one image on one viewscreen is trivial. Putting images for all of our (something like 300) systems, as well as sector space, and whatever else, on all of our (something like 50) bridges, is not trivial.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2014
    Like I said:

"On top of that, there would be a tremendous amount of Art Team work to be done, taking screenshots of every system, converting all of those screenshots to usable textures, and then modifying/duplicating/implementing ALL of those textures on ALL of the viewscreens on ALL of the Bridges in the game. Again, not impossible, just a lot of work."

Putting one image on one viewscreen is trivial. Putting images for all of our (something like 300) systems, as well as sector space, and whatever else, on all of our (something like 50) bridges, is not trivial.

Not to mention I'm sure if you went to your bridge on a foundry Map it would default to the Starfield, which would be the opposite of whats wanted.

#AgreeingWithTaco
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Like I said:

maybe now is time to propose an unpayed intern system to give that kinda work to, get some college and art skool kids in and make them do it all!...for science!...well ok for experience!
    *waits for the xp nerf comments forthcoming...*
    edited December 2014
    castsbugc wrote: »
    maybe now is time to propose an unpayed intern system to give that kinda work to, get some college and art skool kids in and make them do it all!...for science!...well ok for experience!
    Don't change the Intern system!!!! Who would be getting the coffee then?!?! How dare you! :mad::D
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf

• altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    castsbugc wrote: »

I think that's a human resources thing... and considering the work I've seen done by unpaid interns... pass.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They already explained that this can't be done. Also...if they did do this...this may make the game more like Star Trek...which I'm not sure they're interested in going in that direction.
    klingon-bridge.jpg