What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Proposal: main viewscreen on bridge

2»

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi there,

Before anyone starts ranting that it cannot be done, i know (2 maps cannot exist into 1)but hear me out.

Is it possible to change the main viewscreen picture or animation with a generic picture of the location where you are? for example if you are parked in ESD map, your viewscreen on the bridge shows a generic picture of ESD.
    in sector space it should be just the starfield, in the nebulas it would show the nebula and so on...

it is a small change but i think a lot of people would like it.
    any thoughts?

It cannot be done! :P

Or can it?! What if we had a mode where the space UI was just a superimposed first-person screenshot of someone sitting in the Captain's chair on your bridge, looking at the viewscreen?! Like a gif with a transparent cutout, as it were. That would work!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It cannot be done! :P

Or can it?! What if we had a mode where the space UI was just a superimposed first-person screenshot of someone sitting in the Captain's chair on your bridge, looking at the viewscreen?! Like a gif with a transparent cutout, as it were. That would work!

Kinda odd to be sitting in your ship and then looking out your viewscreen to see a point of view from at least several meters behind your ship, don't you think?

Actually that would be kinda hilarious if a Klingon Bird-of-Prey sends a transmission to the bridge of a Federation ship to show the bridge crew a view of their ship from a camera angle THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. You know, just to freak them out. =P
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Kinda odd to be sitting in your ship and then looking out your viewscreen to see a point of view from at least several meters behind your ship, don't you think?

Actually that would be kinda hilarious if a Klingon Bird-of-Prey sends a transmission to the bridge of a Federation ship to show the bridge crew a view of their ship from a camera angle THAT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. You know, just to freak them out. =P

They do have rear-view in the shows. It's not a real window, you know!? :) Just a viewscreen.

But not having a 360 degree viewing angle might indeed be hampering play more than doing any good. Unless they made like a mini-map overlay of the traditional space view.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi there,

Is it possible to change the main viewscreen picture or animation with a generic picture of the location where you are? for example if you are parked in ESD map, your viewscreen on the bridge shows a generic picture of ESD.
    in sector space it should be just the starfield, in the nebulas it would show the nebula and so on...

it is a small change but i think a lot of people would like it.
    any thoughts?

Yes and it can show on NEON lights: "Delta Expansion...BEST EVER and players loved it":D
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    They do have rear-view in the shows. It's not a real window, you know!? :) Just a viewscreen.

But not having a 360 degree viewing angle might indeed be hampering play more than doing any good. Unless they made like a mini-map overlay of the traditional space view.

Well, I mean, you're seeing the back of your ship. From way behind your ship so it's not like a viewscreen. The camera angle when flying your ship always show your ship in some perspective. So by overlaying an image over the normal view, it'll be quite odd.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Your bridge is a seperate map/instance. It doesn't know where you're actually are as your location has been changed from "space" (f.e. ESD) to "ground" (your bridge).
    Actually, the game does know. How else would it be able to put you back to where you were after leaving the bridge?
    The information on which map you were in is definitely being stored. Based on that data, it should be possible to change the view screen by showing a premade picture for each sectorblock and popular planets at least.
    For example, the image for Tau Deva Sector Block could show a generic starfield with the Azure Nebula somewhere. Iota Pavonis could show the Great Bloom, etc.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Actually, the game does know. How else would it be able to put you back to where you were after leaving the bridge?
    The information on which map you were in is definitely being stored. Based on that data, it should be possible to change the view screen by showing a premade picture for each sectorblock and popular planets at least.
    For example, the image for Tau Deva Sector Block could show a generic starfield with the Azure Nebula somewhere. Iota Pavonis could show the Great Bloom, etc.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Like I said:

"On top of that, there would be a tremendous amount of Art Team work to be done, taking screenshots of every system, converting all of those screenshots to usable textures, and then modifying/duplicating/implementing ALL of those textures on ALL of the viewscreens on ALL of the Bridges in the game. Again, not impossible, just a lot of work."

Putting one image on one viewscreen is trivial. Putting images for all of our (something like 300) systems, as well as sector space, and whatever else, on all of our (something like 50) bridges, is not trivial.

^^We need interns then, apparently.
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Nerf is OP, plz nerf
    That's quite the paradox, how could you nerf nerf when the nerf is nerfed. But how would the nerf be nerfed when the nerf is nerfed? This allows the nerf not to be nerfed since the nerf is nerfed? But if the nerf isn't nerfed, it could still nerf nerfs. But as soon as the nerf is nerfed, the nerf power is lost. So paradoxally it the nerf nerf lost its nerf, while it's still nerfed, which cannot be because the nerf was unable to nerf.

I call it, the Stoutes paradox.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, I mean, you're seeing the back of your ship. From way behind your ship so it's not like a viewscreen. The camera angle when flying your ship always show your ship in some perspective. So by overlaying an image over the normal view, it'll be quite odd.
    I just think of everything in the entire interface as a HUD, and don't worry about it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Didn't read any of what Taco posted in this thread, did you?
    He said pretty much the same thing. That it is possible...but not feasible.
    2bnb7apx.jpg