test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GFX Fans going crazy ?

This is the ONLY game I play where the fans on my MSI 290X go totally crazy. They run at virtually maximum speed as soon as the game starts to run.

Let's be honest this game is not exactly taxing on the system so why is that ?

I can run ANY other modern game on Ultra setting, including things like BF4 and Alien Isolation that look a million times better and I can barely hear the fans on the GPU.

But load up this antiquated looking game and it's like turning on a hoover !

I have recently had to turn off DX11 as the game just crashes constantly so is now running on DX9 I think it is. I can't remember if it was this bad before I had to make that change.

Main thing that worries me is damage to my GPU over time as the card is obviously getting VERY hot, but for no good reason.

Anyone have any suggestions or can offer some advice please ?
Post edited by earwigvr6 on

Comments

• Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem has to be with your machine. My machine runs STO every bit as well as it can any other game. I've never had any machine problems in the slightest.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Nothing to do with my machine. It's this poorly coded out of date game. Fans barely spin up when playing anything else, just this game.

It has to do with AMD cards and them failing to load some form of shader or something. I guess something that will never get fixed.
  • Options
    psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    earwigvr6 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with my machine. It's this poorly coded out of date game. Fans barely spin up when playing anything else, just this game.

It has to do with AMD cards and them failing to load some form of shader or something. I guess something that will never get fixed.

Hm, i Play STO a in full Details at 1650x1050 - Geforce GT 440 on a core2quad @2,83 (for sure outdated) with no Problems like urs.
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • Options
    alonysalonys Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    If you have an Nvidia card or a newer AMD card, you can download MSI Afterburner for free which will give you control of your fans, as well as give you a temperature reading for your GPU.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Same issue here. And after the WW patch, STO has managed to likely overheat my GPU giving it a hard shutdown two times. No other games do this. While I am going to check the venting systems in my laptop, I'm fairly certain STO could use resources better.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    crb2442crb2442 Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm running a gtx 770 and I have to manually set my fan to 100% with this game or it starts over-heating. Only game I have to do that with. It runs warmer than I would like on most games but from what I've read that's normal for this card.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So nothing about what this issue might be then ?

Damn PC heats up my whole room now ! It's getting ridiculous the amount of heat it's giving off. It can't be doing it much good !
  • Options
    czertik123czertik123 Member Posts: 1,122 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    reply is very easy - cryptid did something REALY bad in code which tells card to on 100% when they should not, or have greatly unoptimized graphical (and mayby buggy too) engine.
    And since game crases a lot more times on dx11 than on dx9 drivers i think we can think where is problem.
    And as sidenote - dx11 is "old" drivers, so they are very stable and usefull on other games. in this not.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I actually don't even ru in DX11 anymore due to the random crashes.

Why do they spend so much time redoing old episodes that nobody gives to hoots about and adding a club 47 which serves NO PURPOSE in the game at all when they have so many glaring issues with the game ?
  • Options
    bugfix128bugfix128 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I use a AMD R9 200 series GPU
    The game gives mre three options :
    DX9
    DX9ex
    DX11

DX11 tend to crash
    DX9 doenst limit the frames (even if its forced) therfor heatig up the GPU to max
    DX9ex semme to be the only playable option right now
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    I've started to have overheating issues as well.

My set-up could support the game with three monitors active: game, a movie, and the interwebbies.

DR content seems to be the issue. Could be the backgrounds, I don't know. I've turned off every option and downgraded the graphics, but my graphics card spike at 110 celsius yesterday before shutting down.

I had avoided DR content until now, wanting to take advantage of the XP bull-TRIBBLE-weekend-running-argala-a-bajillion-times cause the games designers (not the developers who I love) are lazy.

I've had to drop to one monitor. Oh the outrage!

For example:

Sirius Sector - 63 degrees
    Borg Incursion - Red Alert 71 degrees
    ESD - 64 Degrees, 75 whenever Star Fleet Dental is nearby

All sectors in Delta Rising - 94-98 degrees centigrade.
  • Options
    renebrehmer#9819 renebrehmer Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Have you tried enabling the frame limiter? By default it's off because it can cause lag on some systems, and for most people it's not needed.

But with the frame limiter off, the game will pump out however many frames your GPU can produce, which can cause it to overheat, which in turn will cause the fans to spin at full speed.

Also note that STO uses the CPU as well as the GPU to render graphics, so it may be your CPU that's getting hot (a very typical problem with laptops).

As for the game looking old...either you're not able to use the high def textures or you haven't seen the pisspoor graphics quality of some of the newer games - especially the MMOs. Sure some people look a little weird at times, but "old" is the wrong adjective.
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    It may indeed be his machine but it seems to be how it is being used by the code. Delta Quadrant runs the hell out of my machine on the same settings that the rest of the game glides. It runs hot in DQ. It does not anywhere else in the game.

I'm no programmer so I can't offer a clue as to why but it is not just the OP.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!