test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What old scifi shows, would look so cool with a remastered/ CGI update?

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Ten Forward
Think of all the older scifi shows you seen, then post with ones you feel would look great with a remastered / CGI update?

It worked with on TOS, with it's touch ups, so what other scifi show would look better with this type of touchup job? :D
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Raumpatrouille Orion.

Oh, no, I'd rather have that reimagined, I think. There is only so much SFX can do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-p5A_GislM
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I like how this version of BSG was handled, I hope there is a follow up to the whole series like this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2JULrdwvuk
  • Options
    zbzznzbzzn Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    verlaine11verlaine11 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Space Above and Beyond, loved that show
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited December 2014
    I've said before on the forums that I'd like to see old Doctor Who with some work to make cheesy paper mache monsters and sets seem more real. I'd also appreciate a re-editing to trim and remove dead space timing common to old broadcasts. DON'T however, change the look of the creatures. The original cybermen should retain their look, not convert to the new look. (actually, I might make an exception on the Sontarans).

Lost In Space, the TV show, and Space:1999 for all the same reasons. The less an alien planet looks like a sound stage and landing ships look like puppet models on a Thunderbirds episode, the better.

The Last Starfighter movie. I'd retain the original version on the DVD though, as well, for a comparison. The CGI in that movie was considered cutting-edge for its day and should be retained in some way as a history lesson, of sorts.

The Black Hole might benefit slightly from some lite CGI, but it could really use a good recut to tighten the story and speed things along a bit. It kind of plodded.

Lastly, and probably most controversally, some lite touchup to the original TRON. Not to make it look like the flashy sequel, after all part of the appearance difference was to highlight the changes in computers and graphics in 30 years, but to enrich what is already there.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Exo-squad

This was one of the best animated sci-fi shows ever made.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Thundarr the Barbarian

The effects were ok, but..... It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to imagine what the sorcery aspect of that show would look like with sparkly CGI.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Thundarr the Barbarian

The effects were ok, but..... It doesn't take a particularly vivid imagination to imagine what the sorcery aspect of that show would look like with sparkly CGI.

Now there's a flashback. I don't remember what was hotter, Thundarr's lightning saber, or his girlfriend.
    :D
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Space 1999.
  • Options
    crappyturbocrappyturbo Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually there was a remake/update of Space 1999 in the works. Last I saw the name was going to be Space 2099 have not heard anything more about it tho.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Now Buck Rogers could use a huge make over with effects, but then again maybe a remake is more in line with this one.

Star Blazers has a Movie out, does that count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQAUQxR7yHw
  • Options
    wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    Think of all the older scifi shows you seen, then post with ones you feel would look great with a remastered / CGI update?

It worked with on TOS, with it's touch ups, so what other scifi show would look better with this type of touchup job? :D

Blake's 7, such a promising show for a reboot, I was surprised to hear that a recent try at it by Sky was canned
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Blake's 7, such a promising show for a reboot, I was surprised to hear that a recent try at it by Sky was canned

Tha sux. Sky has been producing some amazing stuff the last couple of years.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Straight up Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea!

This television show included many of the superstars that would land their roles years later in Star Trek. Totally cool show that I would watch my grandfather.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMCR63uwgkI
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hawkwing43 wrote: »

Fireball XL 5 :rolleyes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83yku222hBI
    valoreah wrote: »
    Starblazers.

There's already a updated version of Starblazers... http://starblazers.com/2199-trailer/
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Space: 1999. Watched it a very long time ago. That one episode where they landed on this planet, one of the crew ate some berries... and suddenly they found themselves on trial for murder with a bunch of Redwood trees as the judges...

I would've suggested SDF Macross, but then there's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzAWYNwN98
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lonnehart wrote: »

I would've suggested SDF Macross, but then there's this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgzAWYNwN98

I'd rather watch clips from 'Macross Frontier' the 25th anniversary series for Macross...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aExanGUxwY
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Transformers.

(*ducks and runs away laughing from the howling mob of enraged fanboys.*)
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Outer Limits would be rad. There were some really good episodes with stars before they stars. Twilight Zone would be great too.
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Wow, can't believe no one has suggested it yet but...

Star Trek.

For all of the horrible plot direction of Star Trek: Enterprise it showed what Trek would look like with some updated graphic quality.

I would love to watch some Balance of Terror with updated CGI.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »

Star Trek.

For all of the horrible plot direction of Star Trek: Enterprise it showed what Trek would look like with some updated graphic quality.

"Balance of Terror" was enhanced with CGI recently. It was done subtly to not overpower or cheesify the show.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    "Balance of Terror" was enhanced with CGI recently. It was done subtly to not overpower or cheesify the show.

O GOD NO !
    That would be as bad as colorizing 'It's a wonderful life'.
    :mad:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• Options
    edited December 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    O GOD NO !
    That would be as bad as colorizing 'It's a wonderful life'.
    :mad:

As I said it was subtle. The results are really quite good. For example, this was the one episode that a special type of photon torpedo was to be used to make the episode more like a submarine vs destroyer story. The remastered version created a clearer distinction. Planets also look more realistic in the TOS remastered version.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    rekurzion wrote: »

Star Trek.

Where have you been the whole TOS was updated, and TNG is almost done.

Not that Trek really needed an update....Compared to most SCI FI shows in the 90's TNG, DS9, and Voyager still hold up today...the awesomeness of models.

Now Babylon 5 could use some love in the CGI department
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Star Trek: The Animated Series, naturally.