test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Captain Smirk, really.... ?

usshannibalusshannibal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
edited December 2014 in PvP Gameplay
Release Notes 12/11/2015:

General:

- Increased the damage of all Mark 13 and 14 space weapons.

After such insane damage numbers like this: [11:52] [Combat (Self)] Your Dual Tetryon Banks - Overload III deals 187892 (103740) Tetryon Damage(Critical) to Awwky'BirDy.

and DHC surgical strike critz of up to 100k another damage increase?

a minute of silence lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-=Hannibal - Inner Circle PvP-Department=-
Hannibal's YouTube PvP-channel (under construction)
More Inner Circle PvP-Action worth watching from: Hank, Mira Theng and Zimbilimbim
Post edited by usshannibal on

Comments

• nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just "increased" is a bit vague, would be nice to know the intensity of this buff...
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    nandospc wrote: »
    Just "increased" is a bit vague, would be nice to know the intensity of this buff...

Should be able to compare weapons on Tribble vs. Holodeck at the moment, eh? I don't have any Mk XIV on Holodeck to do that myself...

...anybody got any numbers on that stuff?
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the gap between upgrade whales and season 9 gear folks increases, raising the bar even higher. it was already impossible to compete non upgraded already.
  • captainwessoncaptainwesson Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm having horrible connection issues, so this little project is kinda good for me right now. Might as well look at some numbers if I can't fly, lol.

Now I don't have anything mk XIV yet, but I have a few Mk XIII. I'm looking at my DHC's right now. I'm not exactly sure what numbers you are looking for, so I'll post what I can and maybe you all can figure out the percentages combined with skill points and such.

Advanced Fleet Antiproton Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XIII (Acc)x2 (Dmg)x2 (yeah yeah...not the best weapons out there, but I like them just fine until I can craft what I really want)

On Holodeck:

Gound Stats - 452.4 (301.6 DPS)
    In Space, no consoles - 1655.2 (1103.5 DPS)
    With 3 AP consoles - 2092 (1394.7 DPS)

On Tribble:

Ground Stats - 487.2 (324.8 DPS)
    Space, no consoles - 1743.5 (1162.3 DPS)
    With 3 Fleet AP consoles - 2180.3 (1453.6 DPS)

It does look like the increase is already on Tribble.

(REDACTED)

You may want to check your own numbers and see for yourself. Plus, I don't have Mk XIV, so if someone could do something with that, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it :)

Edit: Apparently my boffs were taken off on Tribble. Numbers fixed, increased due to Pirate Trait (+1.5% all damage)
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I wonder if a reptile somewhere did this just to mess with us. There's literally no need at all to increase damage. Especially just a vague "increased damage" without the usual numbers to accompany it.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Captain Smirk, really.... ?
    What does have to do with Smirk, other than the fact that he posted it?
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=21186821#post21186821

pvp actually got mentioned, i think thats the most attention its got since they were obligated to make the ques cross faction to fit with the storyline
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I wonder if a reptile somewhere did this just to mess with us. There's literally no need at all to increase damage. Especially just a vague "increased damage" without the usual numbers to accompany it.

They probably just wanted more money since not enough people were upgrading.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's quite simple really.

Mk 13-14 requires "upgrades" using the R&D system. "Upgrades" thus use dilithium. Many people will buy dilithium rather than grind it. Thus, moar powah for equipment provides players with an extra incentive to spend more real-world cash on "upgrades".

Or to put it another way: not enough people have triggered the "upgrade" metric and this is an attempt to get that trigger passed.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No one called them the worst developer in the industry for a few days I guess. Can't have that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    No one called them the worst developer in the industry for a few days I guess. Can't have that.

I don't know, I think Geko's post was pretty trolltastic. Wish he could have said it in simpler/straightforward terms - the way folks discuss it on the forums...but with the way he said it, well - it's definitely going to be a more entertaining thread than it would have been. :D
  • eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    since actually there are players delivering 100-125k dps, I think it was better a "I win" or "god mode" button!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2014
    After the patch goes live sci in PVP will get a nice buff to damage

Sci will get a free boost ranging from (+25 to +50) and most will be on +50 side since sci generally max Torpedo trait and not Energy weapons and don't slot tac consoles

I wonder that this damage increase apply to Mk IV torpedoes too ?
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sigh

*queues superior cannon tech upgrades*. Good thing Science characters are next to none in need of upgrading everything.
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I see two reasons for this :-
    1- more zen for bought as has been mentioned
    2- people complaining about elite npcs having so much bealth-as geko stated this will kill them faster so mayb a way to help get through missions easier without sayin "we made a **** up we will fix it directly" no just buff weapons to match and claim they wanted this from beginning #slowclap
  • sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    More pew pew more better. You guys need to get off your pitty pot. It is getting old. They can't do anything without you crying about it. There are some valid concerns this is not one of them. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited December 2014
    oh wow Geko typed in "PvP"....hes probably now in a church washing off the sin.
  • gregkanegregkane Member Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I lold so much i think ive peed myself- "geko to be forgiven you must say 3.68 million hail marys- or grind 4 toons to max specialization, whichever u accomplish first" lol
  • krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    dova25 wrote: »
    After the patch goes live sci in PVP will get a nice buff to damage

Sci will get a free boost ranging from (+25 to +50) and most will be on +50 side since sci generally max Torpedo trait and not Energy weapons and don't slot tac consoles

I wonder that this damage increase apply to Mk IV torpedoes too ?

Where did you find the information on most sci's having no weps energy skill or using no tac consoles for beam/cannon weps.
    edited December 2014
    He's Buddhist, sooo... maybe at a Monastery meditating it off? :P
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    He's Buddhist, sooo... maybe at a Monastery meditating it off? :P

lmao... then he probably will be reborn as some piece of....anything ;)... because always remember: karma is a b**** :D...
  • usshannibalusshannibal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    What does have to do with Smirk, other than the fact that he posted it?

you are right, he's more or less responsibe for the marketing & advertisement part so he just announced it, but does that really matter now? It doesn't matter which person in charge has worked on the latest hotfix, does it? I dont care if it was smirk, nerdy taco, geko the saurian, any hobbit or conchita wurst. But I can rephrase the title for your convenience and satisfaction by generalizing the title and replacing "Captain Smirk" with "Cryptic Dev's" :rolleyes:

It is the content of the patch notes where the main focus should be at and which will intensify damage-heavy cannon/DBB or spike builds with neutro TS 3 and so on.

they totally went the contrary direction by buffing base damage of all mk 13 and 14 space weapons, instead the devs should have concentrated on fixing some of the elite stf's and its principal tasks that aren't working as intended atm like korfez for instance.
    beameddown wrote: »
    the buff to damage sounds fine to me, I like that they are looking at this now instead of 5 months from now and it is nice that they did mention pvp:)

Are you sure about that ? I am beginning to doubt that you've even played any pvp the last couple of days. PvP-matches at status quo can be described as really intense, agressive and short-term battles. science ships are dealing more damage than ever before, alpha strikers are capable of inflicting insane damage numbers with BO's, SS and even with rapid fire. Most of the pvp-players are set up for offensive purposes and neglected the defence part in the game. the amount of heal-heavy ships have been drastically diminishing and the PG-heavy sci ships with intel disables are barely carrying self-heals much less healing power to support their team mates. The only functional role of slow-moving full healers are stated as "sitting ducks" presenting themselves as big targets to disable and shoot at and granting foes easy kills.

So if someone gets heavily focused during combat then he is going to get killed unless you are able to predict an approaching and fully buffed opponent, being ready to execute a monster strike at you, by activating certain emergency buttons such as "Rock n'Roll", metaphasic shields or the good old but efficient run-away tactics :P.

on a side note, some of the commonly utilized emergency abilities like rsp or temporal backstep on a romulan wells (currently bugged) afford little to none protection anymore since plenty of skills are based on 100% shield penetration as well as the various and popular intel perma-stuns those preventing folks from using their oh-**** abilities.

So the principle in actual space pvp combat can be summarized like this: "Kill him before he kills you and dont expect to get healing support from your team comrades." :D

The longest-lasting pvp-match in which I've personally taken part was around 15 min in a 10v10. Queue matches usually last for 5-10 min on average.

Now imagine if they rise the base damage of all space weapons further in the actual pvp environment....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More Inner Circle PvP-Action worth watching from: Hank, Mira Theng and Zimbilimbim
  • notrealednanotrealedna Member Posts: 1,028
    edited December 2014
    why you need more damage anyway? Just disable the ship and kill it with a hand phaser....you have enough time to do it with curent disables in game.
  • riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you are right, he's more or less responsibe for the marketing & advertisement part so he just announced it, but does that really matter now? It doesn't matter which person in charge has worked on the latest hotfix, does it? I dont care if it was smirk, nerdy taco, geko the saurian, any hobbit or conchita wurst. But I can rephrase the title for your convenience and satisfaction by generalizing the title and replacing "Captain Smirk" with "Cryptic Dev's" :rolleyes:

It is the content of the patch notes where the main focus should be at and which will intensify damage-heavy cannon/DBB or spike builds with neutro TS 3 and so on.

they totally went the contrary direction by buffing base damage of all mk 13 and 14 space weapons, instead the devs should have concentrated on fixing some of the elite stf's and its principal tasks that aren't working as intended atm like korfez for instance.

Are you sure about that ? I am beginning to doubt that you've even played any pvp the last couple of days. PvP-matches at status quo can be described as really intense, agressive and short-term battles. science ships are dealing more damage than ever before, alpha strikers are capable of inflicting insane damage numbers with BO's, SS and even with rapid fire. Most of the pvp-players are set up for offensive purposes and neglected the defence part in the game. the amount of heal-heavy ships have been drastically diminishing and the PG-heavy sci ships with intel disables are barely carrying self-heals much less healing power to support their team mates. The only functional role of slow-moving full healers are stated as "sitting ducks" presenting themselves as big targets to disable and shoot at and granting foes easy kills.

So if someone gets heavily focused during combat then he is going to get killed unless you are able to predict an approaching and fully buffed opponent, being ready to execute a monster strike at you, by activating certain emergency buttons such as "Rock n'Roll", metaphasic shields or the good old but efficient run-away tactics :P.

on a side note, some of the commonly utilized emergency abilities like rsp or temporal backstep on a romulan wells (currently bugged) afford little to none protection anymore since plenty of skills are based on 100% shield penetration as well as the various and popular intel perma-stuns those preventing folks from using their oh-**** abilities.

So the principle in actual space pvp combat can be concluded like this: "Kill him before he kills you and dont expect to get healing support from your team comrades." :D

The longest-lasting pvp-match in which I've personally taken part was around 15 min in a 10v10. Queue matches usually last for 5-10 min on average.

Now imagine if they rise the base damage of all space weapons further in the actual pvp environment....

double sigh

*slots even more superior cannon tech upgrades*
    edited December 2014
    I have no beef with the thread, just the title. Smirk barely even counts as even a dev, and there is little to make anyone think he done any more than just take everything the devs put in this version and posted it to let us know. That's all. If you're not complaining at Smirk, then I probably don't have a problem what you say ITT.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just what the game needed, more damage.

I mean its nothing that all of my 15k DPS ships are now completely outclassed, right? 15k? Thats just cute, the average high-ender is doing 25-30 now.

Yeah this game needed more damage.

I miss legacy of romulus
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    PvP-matches at status quo can be described as really intense, agressive and short-term battles. science ships are dealing more damage than ever before, alpha strikers are capable of inflicting insane damage numbers with BO's, SS and even with rapid fire. Most of the pvp-players are set up for offensive purposes and neglected the defence part in the game. the amount of heal-heavy ships have been drastically diminishing and the PG-heavy sci ships with intel disables are barely carrying self-heals much less healing power to support their team mates. The only functional role of slow-moving full healers are stated as "sitting ducks" presenting themselves as big targets to disable and shoot at and granting foes easy kills.

So the principle in actual space pvp combat can be summarized like this: "Kill him before he kills you and dont expect to get healing support from your team comrades." :D

Well you are right that PvP now is really intense and very, very fast aggressive combat in every way.
    Also I agree on everything else, except for healers.
    They can still survive some time. I have recorded an arena match 2 days ago with me, Mini, Neepa and Bauklotz, Wadwor in team vs 4 crosshealing ubertanks sci and eng + cruiser
    Granted my GI in that match was bugged so i couldn't remove some buffs on attacks, but it's enough to say they were extremely hard to kill.

Also i had few games to last long with custom balanced team , for example with a healer on one side and Scryer on each side. It lasted 45 minutes, ended 15:14
    3 minute version of that match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPXLM91X33U

Healers can survive if they are not left alone in middle with teammates fkin-off 20km away.

But yeah, generally it's so fast that i need to switch targets many times in some occasions on attack, completely lose targets and refocus or just f**k of because everyone starts chasing me if I am more then 3 seconds in the central SCI pack.
  • sharxtremesharxtreme Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just what the game needed, more damage.

I mean its nothing that all of my 15k DPS ships are now completely outclassed, right? 15k? Thats just cute, the average high-ender is doing 25-30 now.

Yeah this game needed more damage.

I miss legacy of romulus

more like 125k-130k DPS for hardcore DPSers vs NPCs.

But even before DR 15k was low. I had 30k with DHC scimi, while scimiFAWers did 80k max before DR.
  • usshannibalusshannibal Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    Well you are right that PvP now is really intense and very, very fast aggressive combat in every way.
    Also I agree on everything else, except for healers.
    They can still survive some time. I have recorded an arena match 2 days ago with me, Mini, Neepa and Bauklotz, Wadwor in team vs 4 crosshealing ubertanks sci and eng + cruiser
    Granted my GI in that match was bugged so i couldn't remove some buffs on attacks, but it's enough to say they were extremely hard to kill.

Also i had few games to last long with custom balanced team , for example with a healer on one side and Scryer on each side. It lasted 45 minutes, ended 15:14
    3 minute version of that match https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPXLM91X33U

Healers can survive if they are not left alone in middle with teammates fkin-off 20km away.

But yeah, generally it's so fast that i need to switch targets many times in some occasions on attack, completely lose targets and refocus or just f**k of because everyone starts chasing me if I am more then 3 seconds in the central SCI pack.

I have heard of your stated pvp-match against this full-healer team according to the report of bauklotz himself. It must have been dealt with a more exceptional match if there were 4 full healers on the opposing team, however it is very doubtful that such a team could dish out enough damage to pressurize or even bring down anyone. Moreover a team composed of full healers is by far more immobile than a damage-heavy team with zippy vapers/escorts and versatile partgen-heavy intel ships I guess.

Trying to counterheal 150k overloads, SS spike damage or neutronic TS 3 requires perfect timing and a well-rounded team synergy, one misclick and you wont be able to save an attacked team mate (intel disables which may disrupt cross-healing significantly are not included). Nobody can maintain such a timing and coordination on a long-term^^. It is a matter of time when they perish one by one. Playing in a defensive manner straight away will only achieve a stalemate in the best case and might end as a one-sided shooting match in worst case if faced by the above mentioned offensively-minded team config.

Out of curiousity, what was the outcome of this particular match?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sharxtreme wrote: »
    more like 125k-130k DPS for hardcore DPSers vs NPCs.

But even before DR 15k was low. I had 30k with DHC scimi, while scimiFAWers did 80k max before DR.

Nah 15k back at season 8 was high end, only the few guys from disorderly were rolling 30k boats

Then the builds spread and everyone became a scimitard. Even I, not a DPS/PvE chaser by any means, had a 29k scim, can still look it up on the old ISE tab on DPS league.

Im referring to the days before DPS league was a thing (last time i played regularly DPS channels were still relatively exclusive, an admin had to actually invite you with proof of parse, now you get autoinvited if anyone has uploaded your parse)

After Season 8 came out, DPS channel chasing became the new norm, I think youre referencing that timeframe, i meant before even then, right after LOR came out, when the scim was still very new, before Disorderly came to PvP with their super fawball that shocked the queues for a while before people adapted to it.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus