test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

400k refined dilithium & mats for nothing.. goodby to that!

Comments

• ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Sorry, but you're oversimplifying the matter (along with many others, btw). If this were real life, and people wanted to buy, say, a Maserati, then all the usual "But you don't HAVE to buy one!" rhetoric would hold 100% true.

This is, however, an MMO. And in a game like this, the very purpose of the game is being able to play it, in full. Which is to say, all goals should be attainable (unlike real life). If you design the game in such a way that only the super-rich, or mentally insane, can reach the end-goal, then the design is flawed, by definition. That is really where an MMO is divergent from real life, in that it is designed for full participation. That means: no Elite queues only 0.85% of your player base can access, and no Upgrade Cost (even to Ulra Rare) that are simply undoable for most. And no ueber-rate material drops, needed by all, but which can only be gotten in the Elites played by that selfsame 0.85% of your player base, either.

Sure, prior to DR, people could have stuck to using Mk XI blue stuff too. They didn't. And the reasons for wanting at least Ultra Rare Mk XIV gear now are exactly the same: people simply want to reach the game's end-goals.

no one is stopping you from playing it in full. The content is playable with mark xII (all of it every danged q even the elites) epics are "for bragging rights" again using cryptics own words. You can if you so chooose play the rng game and get one in fact anyone can (unlike some games that lock it behind lenghty raids etc ) by sinking dilithium into the system.

Want and "need" are two seperate words. I want every danged ship in the game but I watch my budget and buy things as I can afford to. I have chosen to 'earn' my stuff using dilithium and not my wallet and sunk my money into a lifetime sub instead. I want it all and I want an epic set on all my ships and I want all the t6 ships and and and. I dont need them though and still play the game all the bits even that wierd battle of korfez elite i have tried it on my best geared guy a few times. I am not locked out of anything nothing is impossible in this game given time that is the point.

I have 4 guys i have outfitted I took a long long haitus and only just returned prior to delta rising. I have all my guys in purple gear now (some better then others) I have one guy that can hit first place in just about anything he tries and floats in purples. I Have 2 more on the rise and the 4th is getting there he is a fed and I hate the fed side so that is why I am so slow with him.

I had at the beginning of delta rising a guy in mostly green and white stuff he was new and just levelled to 50 just a week before delta hit. He is now outfitted about 3/4 now he is all mark xii purple stuff from rep sort of a hodge podge but it works... I could stop once i had all their mark xii sets and play the entire game and not upgrade an entire thing.

but like others .. i want an epic or three eventually but i will do it as I go along and also obtain my bragging rights. How am I not playing the entire game? lol

I dont consider myself one of those "elites" in fact if someone called me one i would probably ask them not to. LoL Yet I have it all and then some and I started playing with nothing because everything I had was so old because of how long I was gone from this game that it was nothing lol 45 was the level cap when i left. My guys were in pvp gear I obtained that was obsolete. I had.. nothing..

If i can do it an over the hill retired person with crappy reflexes anyone can but then I am not competitive I just do what I like and if others dont like it oh well its my dime not theirs :D
    You don't NEED to login either but people do. The point here isn't that he needed epic gear, the point is plane as day that he should have gotten what he paid for which was the epic gear. He did the grind or paid for it, it should be his.

this sounds like a bug then if he paid it and didnt get it because otherwise he would have it so the price is not to high? and he was the victim of a bug then? lol

because the only way you know its epic is after you take it out and see the epic label.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    Well, here's the devs' logic behind this. If you DO get everything... all Mk XIV gold, all spec points... then what? What would you do with it? To the devs, you wouldn't have anything to do after getting everything. And to an extent, that's kinda true. The devs don't want us left with nothing to do, then we'd have no reason to play the game.

At least that's how I understand it. But being a player with 45 characters with 14 ship slots each, I wouldn't mind if it were a hell of a lot cheaper...

Yes. Geko actually pretty much spelled it out like that in the latest podcast. But I'll tell him what I said earlier: I've been here ever since they went F2P, with most of the time just having the same old content (which is quite logical, btw: ppl just burn thru content way faster than it can be written). So, if I stayed thru all the draughts, why can't they trust me now to stay too? Why are they now suddenly so afraid I will walk when this or that goal has been completed? They could simply do what they did prior to DR: create a new Rep, or a new Fleet holding, etc. The insane costs really aren't necessary.

Kudos on the 45 alts, btw. I can no longer afford to keep up with my single alt, even. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Kudos on the 45 alts, btw. I can no longer afford to keep up with my single alt, even. :(
    If you're wondering, I've went insane a long time ago. :P

No, you're right. People do stay. But back in season 8, a lot of people finished Dyson rep with 'nothing to do'. But they stayed. You think Cryptic made Delta Rising this way because of that?
  • proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the way i was explained the only guaranteed outcome when upgrading gear was an increase in mark not rarity and that it would never lose rarity in the upgrade so a vr dhc cannons would not fail and become a blue dhc. but yeah uping rarity is compltely a gambleso best way to upgrade gear is to start with highest rarity items ultra or very rare and increase their mark level
  • proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    i have seen epic tac consoles on exchange that are like mark 9 or 11 should i buy them they kinda cheap and then up grade to the mark i want that way i don't have to worry about the rarity thing?
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I don't know how anyone could have missed the epic upgrade lotto warnings that have been plastered all over the forum for weeks, I was aware of the risks involved before DR even launched from these posts.
    that's why I only upgrade mk12 rare or better and only up to mk14, I never gamble on quality.
    if I happen to get a quality boost while upgrading from mk12 to mk14 fine but I never go chasing mk14 epic the risk of loosing everything is just too great.
    upgrading anything less then mk12 is just too expensive.
    all the items I have upgraded I have got exactly what I was expecting to get and sometimes a little better.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• higherfivehigherfive Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To all that have responded :D (Trolls & PW/Cryptic bots included..) thank you! I left last night when my post was on pg. 6 and am still in the process of reading what I missed. Regardless how you feel on this thread I'm grateful that other seasoned players have a shared similar sentiment as I on the upgrade system. Best wishes to you (& to STO) in the future..
    edited December 2014
    I don't know how anyone could have missed the epic upgrade lotto warnings that have been plastered all over the forum for weeks...

good point.. I don't go to forums usually I just play.. (I've been here longer yet have a fraction of your threads..), I was mistaken/misled whatever. As I've said throughout this post if you choose to accept the 'system' the way it currently stands it's on you - not me..
    edited December 2014
    higherfive wrote: »
    To all that have responded :D (Trolls & PW/Cryptic bots included..) thank you! I left last night when my post was on pg. 6 and am still in the process of reading what I missed. Regardless how you feel on this thread I'm grateful that other seasoned players have a shared similar sentiment as I on the upgrade system. Best wishes to you (& to STO) in the future..
    If you find a better MMORPG than STO, please, tell us about it.
    edited December 2014
    If you find a better MMORPG than STO, please, tell us about it.

I would but I hate forums regardless of the game. I would only come if I felt the need (hence lack of forum activity in the time in game.. - & it seems it's been longer than you). I've invested heavily in this game but I did as well in LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) & I was a monthly subscriber for years. To bad for them they screwed the game & it's dying. I hope a similar fate doesn't await STO. We shall see have friends pulling me several different ways, we shall see..:rolleyes:
    edited December 2014
    I would but I hate forums regardless of the game. I would only come if I felt the need (hence lack of forum activity in the time in game.. - & it seems it's been longer than you). I've invested heavily in this game but I did as well in LOTRO (Lord of the Rings Online) & I was a monthly subscriber for years. To bad for them they screwed the game & it's dying. I hope a similar fate doesn't await STO. We shall see have friends pulling me several different ways, we shall see..:rolleyes:
    Well good luck =) I hate to see my fellow players quitting under these terms, and I wish you well. Just try checking back with us just in case things get better.
    edited December 2014
    ummax wrote: »
    what I find illogical is all the people wanting epic for no sort of work at all either in grinding dilithium or whatevers.

The problem is that as you implied, I've done the grinding & whatever... When you put in effort & get nothing that's where problem lies. What you see in the upgrade process is what you should get - it cost enough in effort (lottery, roll of the dice whatever you call it system is simply bs)!

The new content is not easy. If your running with 4 others who are good players, on voice-chat maybe it's not - but how many people out there have that luxury? It would be interesting to hear the statistic for successful STF completion before & after the Delta Rising patch. If you pug an advanced these days in an advanced STF good luck getting a success. I don't even mind that, for I enjoy a good challenge.
    edited December 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    No...the OP was complaining about not getting anything in the system AFTER spending 400k dil...so he did take part in the system. And I don't play the rarity game beyond a hey, I kinda feel like gambling and I have some extra dil laying around (I think one of my consoles has two rounds of it) because I don't really like it.

And why would I argue that it ISN'T too high?!? I have been saying it's a rip off all along.

If I would have know how the system (under the current system) worked all along this thread would never have happen for I would have just packed my bags & left..:P When I began the upgrade process there was no gambling involved. It only becomes a gamble at the end of the upgrade process which led to my confusion. I learned a good lesson. I didn't want others to fall into the same trap as I did - why I started the thread. Forewarned is forearmed - judging by the responses my efforts were not in vain.
    edited December 2014
    But being a player with 45 characters with 14 ship slots each, I wouldn't mind if it were a hell of a lot cheaper...

Someone with 45 characters :eek: should be getting help, not giving advice..
    and I really mean that..
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You're all looking at it all "wrong" :cool:

Each item has a set cost of technology point required to upgrade it from MkXIV UR to Epic. For example, I have been looking into upgrading my Counter-Command Deflector Array Mk XIV ultra rare to an epic. In order to accomplish this, I know I need to put 12,800,000 technology points into it to get it to upgrade to epic. Using very rare upgrade packs, that would cost me 1,075,000 dilithium. Sure, it is possible that I may get a special discount randomly that will reduce the cost significantly, but the absolute most that it will ever cost me is set - it will never cost me more than 12.8 million technology points to get it to upgrade.

...math behind it:
    • 320k Tech points per upgrade attempt, each upgrade attempt gives me about 2.5% rarity improvement chance
    • 1075 Dilithium per attempt with very rare packs giving 12.8k tech points
    • 320k/12.8k = 25 upgrade packs
    • 25*1075 = 26875 dilithium
    • 100% / 2.5% = 40 attempts
    • 320k*40 = 12.8mil tech points
    • 40*26875 = 1,075,000 dilithium

So, if you want to complain about something, complain about the 1million dilithium price tag on epic items (varied slightly by item - consoles are significantly cheaper at about 240k dilithium for epics). The arguments here whining about RNG are silly ;)

...don't flame me, sarcasm doesn't transmit well over text :D
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The problem is that as you implied, I've done the grinding & whatever... When you put in effort & get nothing that's where problem lies. What you see in the upgrade process is what you should get - it cost enough in effort (lottery, roll of the dice whatever you call it system is simply bs)!

The new content is not easy. If your running with 4 others who are good players, on voice-chat maybe it's not - but how many people out there have that luxury? It would be interesting to hear the statistic for successful STF completion before & after the Delta Rising patch. If you pug an advanced these days in an advanced STF good luck getting a success. I don't even mind that, for I enjoy a good challenge.

okay well for the epic lotto you now know its a gamble even if there was warning text on the thing so you can avoid it and still have fun no?

for the rest well there is more to this game then stf's .. that being said for every failure I have i have about 4 or 5 successes in a row in STF's. i do get some terribad groups sometimes where I am pulling my hair out but i just grin and bear it or leave depending just how bad it is and get in line an hour later. Maybe I am lucky or whatevers, but I pug mainly because I am a spontaneous person in that respect. They are not a 100% success rate like they were previously and they are working on the advanced to make it more well palatable as most people dont like them regardless of their "level" of whatevers no one likes them not fully geared players or newer players so they have commented this will change which it will.

That being said there is no need for anything above mark xii to complete advanced and even some elites depending on well how you play as some of us are better at facerolling a keyboard then others.

The kobali zone is not hard.. the story mission content certainly is not hard (i have completed it on 4 characters one of which i consider to be severly gimpy..) the older zones are not hard. They get easier with better gear but there is absolutely no need to have an epic anything to complete them with ease so I am unsure what the issue is. If the game is somehow not fun because you dont have a full set of epic gear then I guess go play something else? but if you can manage to play it with mark xII rep gear and upgrade that to mark xIv only and stop there(upgrading to that is not that expensive) then you should have no trouble blowing most things to smitherines. Even cryptic warns that the stat increase from mark XiV purle to mark Xiv epic is negligeable and the stats are there for those who want to squeeze every last drop of oopmh out of something and to say that they have epic gear.

So just dont play their epic lotto. I sure am not lol maybe one day i will take a stab at it, but truly if this is making or breaking them game for you then I guess its time to play something else. I can suggest other games, but whatever I come up with has a far more difficult and time consuming way of obtaining similar gear so.. there is not much else that can be said.

can't you play this game with mark Xiv Purple stuff like others are? :confused:
  • atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited December 2014
    That 400k refined dilithium was spread over several panels (he's German - lost in translation) his highest rarity on his tac. panels is now 5%. He said it was 140k refined dilithium on the failed attempt to 'epic' - so my bad, the devil is in the details.
    To get to 5% epic chance on a fleet tac console is 140k TECH POINTS not dilithium. If he was using superior kits that would be less than 12k dilithium and possibly as little as 10k. Far less than the 140k dilithium you claim. So yeah I think a LOT was lost in translation.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sardocian wrote: »

Each item has a set cost of technology point required to upgrade it from MkXIV UR to Epic. For example, I have been looking into upgrading my Counter-Command Deflector Array Mk XIV ultra rare to an epic. In order to accomplish this, I know I need to put 12,800,000 technology points into it to get it to upgrade to epic. Using very rare upgrade packs, that would cost me 1,075,000 dilithium. Sure, it is possible that I may get a special discount randomly that will reduce the cost significantly, but the absolute most that it will ever cost me is set - it will never cost me more than 12.8 million technology points to get it to upgrade.

...math behind it:
    • 320k Tech points per upgrade attempt, each upgrade attempt gives me about 2.5% rarity improvement chance

So, if you want to complain about something, complain about the 1million dilithium price tag on epic items (varied slightly by item - consoles are significantly cheaper at about 240k dilithium for epics). The arguments here whining about RNG are silly ;)

...don't flame me, sarcasm doesn't transmit well over text :D
    Wait a second.... your math assumes that you'll not get an upgrade until you've tried upgrading 40 times. BUT.... you'd have to get horribly unlucky for it to take that many rolls.... especially given that you'd have to miss a series of rolls with 80 to 95% chance.... more likely you'll get it before you do it 20 times.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    sardocian wrote: »

...math behind it:
    Nice to see numbers. Anyone know how experimental tech fits into it? TI am tying to work out if they are worth using and at what stages.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Nice to see numbers. Anyone know how experimental tech fits into it? TI am tying to work out if they are worth using and at what stages.

Actually yes. I managed to upgrade 2 more mk14 ultraviolet tac consoles on another toon to gold yesterday. Far sooner than I expected.

I only use:

- Superior experimental cannon tech upgrades (I manufacture them myself and I get an average of 1 experimental upgarder + the dil to apply it out of 1 successful elite queue)
    - Rarity booster 1,5% (cost 0,2-0,4 mil ec at the exchange per item)

Step by step:

-> I begin to apply them.
    -> Each time I do I seem to get 1% chance for rarity increase due to experimental upgrader, sometimes 2% when a booster kicks in.
    -> I need to apply approximately 5-6 till the item requires to force upgrade (so 5-6k dil inserted) but at least 7-9% chance for increase. (Most likely fail)
    -> I start next cycle the same way which ads anther 7-9% going up to ~18% which already means almost 1:5 chance for rarety increase.
    -> Third cycle brings me past 1:4 already.
    -> Forth cycle brings me 1:3

I have upgraded 8 ultra violet tac console to gold in that fashion already. The worst case so far was some 40k dil on one console and best case was only 6k dil.

This stuff is very expensive. Like I have said b4. I play for about 1 week in worst case for 1 upgrade. But sometimes I only play 1-2 days. I do not use zen to buy any dil for this TRIBBLE I only play elite ground queues. As far as this whole topic is conserned i stick to f2p so thx cryptic.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually yes. I managed to upgrade 2 more mk14 ultraviolet tac consoles on another toon to gold yesterday. Far sooner than I expected.

I only use:

- Superior experimental cannon tech upgrades (I manufacture them myself and I get an average of 1 experimental upgarder + the dil to apply it out of 1 successful elite queue)

Step by step:

-> Each time I do I seem to get 1% chance for rarity increase due to experimental upgrader, sometimes 2% when a booster kicks in.
    -> I need to apply approximately 5-6 till the item requires to force upgrade (so 5-6k dil inserted) but at least 7-9% chance for increase. (Most likely fail)
    -> I start next cycle the same way which ads anther 7-9% going up to ~18% which already means almost 1:5 chance for rarety increase.

I have upgraded 8 ultra violet tac console to gold in that fashion already. The worst case so far was some 40k dil on one console and best case was only 6k dil.

This stuff is very expensive. Like I have said b4. I play for about 1 week in worst case for 1 upgrade. But sometimes I only play 1-2 days. I do not use zen to buy any dil for this TRIBBLE I only play elite ground queues. As far as this whole topic is conserned i stick to f2p so thx cryptic.

Not in-game right now, but I believe Tact consoles (the Fleet kind) start at 40k upgrade XP at Mk XII, and end at ~70k at Mk XIV. That makes 'em managable. Try it with a 318k Shield or 318k KCB and such: that sucks the fun out of things faster than Plasmonic Leech.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I am so tired of using the full 8k Dilithium I'm able to grind and use all the EC I have to buy superior upgrades and still never get an upgrade. That's also all I'm doing in the game any more...logging in for five minutes a day to refine and attempt to upgrade. I can't even remember the last time I actually "played" the game.
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    Too start with expect only about 40 to 50 dps upgrading to level 14 beams expect nothing more
    there is a great chance you wont get anything more !

To gain wealth like dilithium space is no longer viable to gain wealth yet has the largest cost to upgrade.......So your upgrading to earn less...The STFs have been nerfed and trashed

To earn XP for levels and skill points do argula patrols normal no upgrades or skill points needed

To earn dilithium do dyson ground no upgrades needed bug hunts elites are good once you get to level 60 and a lot more fun than dyson to me but upgraded gear is very helpful

its a waste to try to upgrade past level 14 and even if you make it you will feel Violated and cheated with the amount of resources you spent to get the item

That's my opinion

after wasting over 2 million dilithium 400 salvages and 100 million EC buying quality boosts/xp boosts
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not in-game right now, but I believe Tact consoles (the Fleet kind) start at 40k upgrade XP at Mk XII, and end at ~70k at Mk XIV. That makes 'em managable. Try it with a 318k Shield or 318k KCB and such: that sucks the fun out of things faster than Plasmonic Leech.

Yea I noticed the discrepancies between them and the ship core systems during upgrade to mk14 already and you are correct.

On a funny note those discrepancies seem to work to your benefit the other way around considering we play a very DPS intense game. At the moment I don’t see the need to upgrade any core stuff to epic any time soon at all, nor would I ever manage to come up with the recourses.

As far as the rarity increase on the spire tac consoles are concerned I just identified em to be an achievable goal with some concrete benefits and since I doubt cryptic will ever release anything better for these ship slots in the foreseeable future decided to go for it on 2 of my space chars. Rest of my gang will shine ultraviolet just as fine. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I only use:

Step by step:

Thank you that's the type of numbers I wanted to see. Going to give experimental a go once the next log of tribble patch note crafting changes go live.