test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just realised something....

cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So it just hit me that for the price of an entirely NEW GAME, oh such as Elite: Dangerous for example, I can be the proud new owner of a whole two ships. Does anyone else find this utterly ridiculous? T6 ships at $30 a pop or grind your space bar to oblivion and then continue a fairly dead end 'game' after you get a ship or two that at the moment are no better than a T5-u Fleet ship? Add to that the fact that unless you play a Fed mostly (which I hate) you essentially get bent over for your money. I think if I'm going to pay to get screwed I'd rather visit a hooker so I can at least come away with something to show for it, like the clap at the very least.

Get real PWE, and ffs start at least TRYING to use your brains.
Post edited by cpc2011a on

Comments

• grouchyotakugrouchyotaku Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On the other hand, you can play the latest expansion without paying a single cent for it...

So what do you think is covering the costs of F2P ???
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Welcome to STO. Nothing to see here.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On the other hand, you can play the latest expansion without paying a single cent for it...

Perhaps. But then nothing explain why the T6 are most expensive than T5. Or why we have to pay for an upgrade token.
    After all, designing a T6 probably cost the same than a T5. We are not talking car or planes, but virtual object that are very similar.

Also, 60$ for a ship bundle ? That's the price for a very new AAA game. I think that's very expensive for a several years old f2p. But that's just me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Welcome to F2P you mean.

And the PWE business model.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yeah these days ... Cryptic made it pretty easy to realize ... pay 30 - 120 Bucks just to grind Argala, or check out the current Steam Sale instead ... hmm that's a tough one .... thank you Cryptic ...

If there would be something else to do ... some foolish Trek Idiots, like myself might actually pay for this nonsense ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • cervantxcervantx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    Perhaps. But then nothing explain why the T6 are most expensive than T5. Or why we have to pay for an upgrade token.
    After all, designing a T6 probably cost the same than a T5. We are not talking car or planes, but virtual object that are very similar.

Also, 60$ for a ship bundle ? That's the price for a very new AAA game. I think that's very expensive for a several years old f2p. But that's just me.

Well, a ship T6 cost more that a T5 because T6 is superior to T5 (nominally). Now then T6 =3000 zen vs T5 =2500 zen its a diference based on the supossed quality of both ships and tiers. Now the fun thing is a T5 + upgrade token are over 3000 zen but is still a inferior tier tha T6 and still suposedly inferior in terms of gameplay balance, but more expensive than T6 so the prices are not logical and well...they are pretty much screwed, but the mastermind of the chinese overlord think diferently of course.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/7dY4yCA.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    GG Cryptic.

dnirg eht nioj
  • lunastolunasto Member Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You just need to do research and calculate out what would be the best deal for your dollar. I finally decided to just get a T5 Warbird retrofit and upgrade it. I am very pleased with it in all but one way, the turn rate is horrible, but it's a tank and can take the abuse.

I will still argue that the D'kora is still the best ship in the game!
    Lightningdealwithit.gifNew Lunar Republic
    "Where monsters rampage, I'm there to take them down! Where treasure glitters, I'm there to claim it! Where an enemy rises to face me, victory will be mine!" -Lina Inverse
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited November 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    So it just hit me that for the price of an entirely NEW GAME, oh such as Elite: Dangerous for example, I can be the proud new owner of a whole two ships. Does anyone else find this utterly ridiculous? T6 ships at $30 a pop or grind your space bar to oblivion and then continue a fairly dead end 'game' after you get a ship or two that at the moment are no better than a T5-u Fleet ship? Add to that the fact that unless you play a Fed mostly (which I hate) you essentially get bent over for your money. I think if I'm going to pay to get screwed I'd rather visit a hooker so I can at least come away with something to show for it, like the clap at the very least.

Good. More people need to realize the value of money and how hard it is to earn it. Go to steam and scan through their deals for the holiday weekend. Lots of great games for $15 which will give you countless hours of fun (no grind). Or spend $30 on the bundles and get way more.

I can't believe people actually support the outrageous cash grabs in this game. $30 for T6, $5 for fleet module (next season), countless dollars in equivalent grinding (or buying) to get dilithium to acquire fleet and upgrade gear to MK XIV ... and so on.

Has to be the worst deal ever.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • atlasmk7atlasmk7 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's because it's Star Trek. Some of us are willing to pay ludicrous amounts to fly our favorite ships in our favorite universe. If this wasn't Star Trek, I would have never stuck with the game. F2P games usually gouge quite a bit for those who want to really play it. I used to play World of Tanks and put a few hundred into that. It was fun, kept me entertained for many hours, so it was money well spent.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Then don't buy it. Quite simple really. It's worth it to some people to have their favorite ships. I have bought quite a few ships and I can say that I certainly got my money's worth of fun out of them. Yes I could have spent that on that latest greatest AAA game...but would I still be playing that game after 2 months? Doubt it. While the ships I bought, I am still having fun with now.

Pre- Delta Rising I would have agreed 100% with this. Now though, the fun is just not there to be had. They've pretty much killed the queues, and a massive grindfest is just not fun. People complain that DR is very Alt unfriendly. I disagree because if not for my alts I'd have burned out already and taken a break from the game again.
    cervantx wrote: »
    Well, a ship T6 cost more that a T5 because T6 is superior to T5 (nominally). Now then T6 =3000 zen vs T5 =2500 zen its a diference based on the supossed quality of both ships and tiers. Now the fun thing is a T5 + upgrade token are over 3000 zen but is still a inferior tier tha T6 and still suposedly inferior in terms of gameplay balance, but more expensive than T6 so the prices are not logical and well...they are pretty much screwed, but the mastermind of the chinese overlord think diferently of course.

You didn't take into account that if you DON'T own the c-store version of a ship to get the discount for fleet ships, or play KDF mostly, the cost of a fleet ship is 2000z, add to that the upgrade and you total 2700z which is LESS than the T6 ships and at present the t5u fleet ships are superior to the t6 ships. True you don't get a ship trait, but for Roms and KDF they are pretty pathetic anyway.
    edited November 2014
    You can get all the spec points and dil you need by just playing the various aspects of the game.

Nope ... but you can get them by playing various aspects of the game ~2000 times ...
    edited November 2014
    Nope ... but you can get them by playing various aspects of the game ~2000 times ...
    Not sure if 2000times would be enough. Dyson BG award near nothing, and STF award about 2K XP.

So yeah, while theoretically you can earn all the spec point (or any reasonable amount) through various aspects of the game, it would take a very long time, and meanwhile, new specs would be added.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    And? Before DR I was doing that anyways with ISE, CCE, CSE ... Oh dear god, you may actually have to "PLAY" the game...what in the world has this game come to?!?

So I guess you're one of these 10h per day - Guy ... congrats then ...
    and after a few months, you will find your half way to filling your spec points. Few more months and your done

No ?! at least not on my planet ...
    edited November 2014
    And? Before DR I was doing that anyways with ISE, CCE, CSE...and all the alphabet soup. Only I wasn't getting any spec points...and slight more dil. I was having fun before DR...so why would I NOT have fun after? Since you all lot seems to be complaining about post DR...what the hell were you doing before DR that you can't now? Other then PUG...which I admit is a problem. Play the ques, play the patrols, run around tagging epohhs, chat with friends, do a little for fun PvP with fleetmates, do some battlezones...and after a few months, you will find your half way to filling your spec points. Few more months and your done. with 6 reps, you can fill your daily dil needs halfway in 1 hours with just button slicking and sliders (collect from logging in, reset, play for an hour, and set for next log in). Spend that time in a BZ and your can have it all the way filled and then some. Oh dear god, you may actually have to PLAY the game...what in the world has this game come to?!?
    Let's stop making content then, because we have fun without them adding new content. And let's stop adding new ships, reputation and gear, because we have fun with what we have. In fact, stop working on the game, because we have fun. You can even stop working on the bugs, because we have fun even with the bugs around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    Not really...about 2-3 hours a day for 4 or so days of the week...the other 3, almost 0 (log in, click on stuff) as I have other things to do. I have a job that I work 50-60 hours a week at and I have other hobbies as well.

Then you probably should do the math on Spec Points ... 8h per week = ~maxed out Spec Points within ~2 years (1 year if you're quite "efficient") ... for one Toon ... lets hope for your sake you don't have 1,2,3,4 or 5 Alts etc ...
    edited November 2014
    I think your math is off then...because I just play the game and I get one every 3-4 days. Are you taking into account doff? kills? Because I have yet to see the math beyond a very simple this mission rewards this exp at the end for the math. Course there has been quite a few exp changes during all this time...so who know how i will do with this new exp system...but honestly, it hasn't been that bad for me.

Well I guess we're playing different games then ...

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20939661&postcount=130
    +
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20939971&postcount=135

especially Queues ... what Queues are you running excatly ... the highest payout is 4k (ISA/E afaik) per Queue (lowest under 1k) + another 4k for Kills, if you wanna be unreal (let's hope you forgot about Ground Queues, which reward ~nothing per Kill) ... 1 Spec Point is 150k ... at least use "Argala Patrol" if you wanna be remotely believable ... 150 / 8 = ? x ~15 + 30min (= well let's say ~10 hours) ... you probably found the Doff Fountain of XP, then ... otherwise you would've spent ~20h per week doing Queues ...
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    There should be a cost to playing any game, but I believe that the balance Cryptic is looking for doesn't have to be shrouded in mystery.

In terms of pricing for ships, $30 is a drop in relation to the hours of fun I've had in the game. The problem is that 'fun' seems to have different meanings for everyone, including the management of Star Trek Online.

For me the 'fun' comes from the community. The people I run STF's with. My fleet members. It was in an effort to seem knowledgeable, or vanity that I would rush to complete every rep on every toon. That race was share with others.

New content? We'd all share our experiences. New ship or piece of cool gear? We'd all communicate actively on the best approach, best builds etc to achieve whatever the current goal was.

The highlight was finishing NWS as a fleet. It was a lot of fun - but it took effort. Just as building our fleet holdings took a concerted effort.

DR changed that.

Players left. The content is like chinese food. Tasty, neat to have, but it leaves you hungry for anything else an hour later.

The queues are out of whack. R&D is not achievable for casual players. VR resources, for lack of a better definition is behind a pay wall (level, ability, $$$, whatever you can imagine).

And then through successive failures of QA, XP and dilithium nerfs, and indifference from management of the game, the player base has and continues to shrink.

DR may have been the most profitable launch in the companies history (Laughtrendy), but the game is devoid of players and fun. Not sure how that will improve in the long run.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    so I got the DR ship pack ok so it was list price $120 that seems a lot but for 9 ships + extras I think it was good value, but I dare say you could go out and buy 2 or 3 or even 6 full priced games but in 6 months or a year when you are all played out and your top notch games have been replaced by version XX or maybe even version TRIBBLE and I have still got years of more play to go and all of the latest versions & special events free of charge we will see who has had the most fun.
    besides which nobody is forcing you to buy anything in sto in fact rumer mill says we are all getting a free T6 for the winter event anyway and if we do we will also get a free T6 for the summer event plus any other freebies they throw our way in the mean time.
    I really cant see what your gripe is.

if anything a single T6 ship is a bargain many T5 ships are 2500zen and you have to pay extra for the fleet version and another 500zen - 700zen to upgrade them to T5U so they actually work out more expensive then a 3000zen T6 ship.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

edited November 2014
    ISA, CSA and CCA all can be done in a period of 10 min or less. Those three alone nets me around 20k spec points for around 30 min of play.

ROFL ... Screen or it didn't happen ...
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    ISA, CSA and CCA all can be done in a period of 10 min or less. Those three alone nets me around 20k spec points for around 30 min of play. defend rhi elite and bug hunt elite are both doable in another 30 min for another 5k ish (yeah rubbish spec points, but they are fun...or maybe toss in a quick UGE as well...that one can be done in under 10 as well)...so around 25k per hour. So do it twice and 50k per 2 hour day (and honestly I could squeeze in more CCA in that hour)...account for off days and include DOFFs and yeah...3-4 days per spec point. And that is honestly not playing very much. I'm sure most of you net more play then that.

Used to play - thats the distinction.

Of my seven 'formerly elite' alts, only 2 have upgraded enough to effectively run advanced STF's without my fearing they would hold back the team.

Clearly others have the same issue, or have left the game because of it. The queues are a fraction of what they used to be because of the difficulty changes.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And this I agree with. DR has made the game VERY casual unfriendly...and it's not the spec point system that did it. It's the VR mats/rep mats and the ques. I disagree that the R&D isn't achievable for the casuals since many casuals that were here when the new R&D system went live have the same level of R&D as I do (which is they click on the daily each day)...however they can't craft anything useful as the mats are locked behind ques that they can't complete. And the level of players leaving does mean less PUGs...which means less fun for me as well.

but then 90% of players never crafted anything on the old system anyway so they should not be all that fussed if they don't craft anything much in the new system either.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree with the OP overpriced ships. Earlier maybe ship price was justified but now considering gear is more expensive to upgrade to atleast mk14 ur id give sto a pass.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In exchange for allowing many players to play this game for free, a few players have to pay a lot more. And I think that's really a general model of F2P games, mobile and PC. You can actually get a lot of game for nothing. But once you start spending money, you don't actually get all that much for it. But that is because you're not just paying for yourself, but also for all the people that don't pay. But these people are neccessary to even get someone like you convinced that maybe the game could be worth such an expenditure. An MMO without other players is not very enticing.

I am not sure how well I like it, being one of the "paying" players. But I think that for some F2P games and some players, they'd rather pay the "mark-up" for macro-transactions then not have the game at all. Which is often the only choice, because not enough people are willing to pay 15 $ subscriptions any more.

(And it should also be noted that even subscription games are more expensive than single player games. Of course, that depends on the single player game, but some single player games have very high replay value and you could play them for months or years - and you pay only once. And I think there are also a lot of "hidden" cost here. A non-MMO today often has only short play time length and less replay-ability then they used to.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP I agree 100% with you except I don't spend any of my money. I buy other people's zen with my free piles of dil. However if that option was not there, I'd delete the massively over priced STO in a heart beat.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    if anything a single T6 ship is a bargain many T5 ships are 2500zen and you have to pay extra for the fleet version and another 500zen - 700zen to upgrade them to T5U so they actually work out more expensive then a 3000zen T6 ship.

Except for the fact that it's cheaper to buy and upgrade a fleet ship without owning the c-store model first. As I mentioned before: 4 fleet modules + 1 upgrade token = 2700zen
    kozar2 wrote: »
    OP I agree 100% with you except I don't spend any of my money. I buy other people's zen with my free piles of dil. However if that option was not there, I'd delete the massively over priced STO in a heart beat.

That's how I've acquired the majority of my ships, but I can't justify grinding out 3000zen each for what are essentially useless ship traits, and I certainly can't justify spending real money on those same useless traits.

I suppose I'll wait and see what happens when/if the fleet versions come out. Maybe we'll get lucky and the layouts/consoles will reflect what the ships actually need as opposed to the lack of sense the current upgrades got us. (example: the Fleet Nebula getting another science console as opposed to a much needed tactical console.) Although from a common sense viewpoint, I won't hold my breath.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm one of those players who has been here since F2P, bought an awful lot and has more hours playing STO than is sane (several thousand). It was my *only* daily game, my only MMO ever, the only game I logged into at all, except for a couple of casual games for downtimes (e.g. online Monopoly). The changes made since DR went live have been devastating for STO, and it's been going for five weeks, with everything pointing to this fiasco continuing for several weeks more.

I think the way to put it is that "It's all still there", but what's there is now a shadow of what it was:

Foundry - enemy changes mean some of the best foundry missions are no longer achievable; some can't be logged into at all

Borg Red Alerts - a staple for many of us, but the Unimatrix nonappearance bork remains there meaning it doesn't always complete

Doffing - still there but the new interface makes it much less immersive... yes it was always button pressing but I used to sit there and think "Who should do that one?" knowing my doffs almost as 'people'... now it's "Click to start, Click to Engage"... no idea about if it's going to work or not

Socializing - still there but again, the days when you'd just arrive at Drozana and find 20 people chatting, are over

PvE Pugging - always enjoyed a good pug precisely because you never knew what would happen unlike in a premade, but the queues are dead now... you might be lucky but it has a much higher chance of failure

Teaming with Newbies - yes I've run that missions lots of times, I'll help you... what, you're not there anymore, because the game's turned totally unfriendly to casuals? Okay, another thing I'll miss

Exploration Clusters - they're still sitting there as a doff assignment center but there used to be something nice about breaking up new content with an occasional dip into a pool of basics... yes, sometimes there's nothing as refreshing as beaming down to a pretty planet and scanning five tombstones.

So yes, everything's still there, in various levels of abandonment and neglect. Logging in daily, playing several hours, just hanging out and chatting... it's all gone. Now, the only thing left is to get in when a new mission's been released, play it once for the storyline and then move to other games. That's what I'm doing, after spending two years playing STO exclusively. But it's now at six weeks and counting, and I realize that this game is unlikely to recover to its former glory, such as it was.

And it's due to this constant nerfing and curtailment of choice.
  • delilahwilddelilahwild Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Coldnapalm is like old-style Soviet propaganda. You can't shut it down, but it's best not to pay it any attention.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Whales. Whales are covering the expenses. They're in process of running everyone else off.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cervantx wrote: »
    ... but the mastermind of the chinese overlord think diferently of course.

Ah, ah, ah! You're not allowed to use the C-word! We're supposed to pretend that the blatant avarice does not exist!
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,684 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »

you think that is ridiculous?
    load up Lord of the Rings online, or Mechwarrior online. those are F2P game where you have to BUY CONTENT

want to ride a horse? oh you have to buy the ability to buy the horse.

sure it's not $30 up front but the nickle and dimes add up pretty quick
    We Want Vic Fontaine