test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic Launcher Crash

So everything was working fine yesterday prior to the Arc platform update. Last night after I got done playing, I saw a message that Arc had an update. I let it do its thing and went to bed. Got up this morning and when I tried to log in, I had a cryptic launcher crash after I hit Engage.

A couple of hours of browsing forums from the past couple of years and trying various "fixes" yielded no results, no matter what I do, it keeps crashing. Even when trying to launch the game directly, it would just hang and say the server wasn't responding. I opted to reinstall the arc client and game in entirely new directories after removing the old ones and scrubbing the registry. No dice, even after doing a whole new game download and force verifying files.

I then opted to wipe out the computer cause I haven't done it in awhile, after a fresh install and driver updates, and downloading the game again (I always do a full game download vs. the download on demand) it still is giving me the same cryptic launcher crash. At this point I'm mystified. My internet is working fine and the logs I had before the computer wipe weren't showing anything useful. Looking for some ideas on what I can try next.

UPDATE: So I installed the game via Steam instead of using the Arc launcher and everything is working fine. I'm not sure how and why the Arc launcher was jacking things up, but it's resolved by going through Steam.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oneofnine1oneofnine1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    same prob on my windows 10 laptop will try steam when i get home
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,656 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My install is from Steam (though pin'ed to the task bar to launch directly) and it's not working. :/
  • Options
    oneofnine1oneofnine1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    steam fixed it for windows 10 arc seems cause's CTD on some HD grax
  • Options
    azrx91azrx91 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm having this issue again, as I'd had it happen last week. After looking around, I saw that deleting the files in the Live directory might fix it, so I did so. That worked then. Now the game is not launching today after hitting engage on the launcher. I'm stuck for options... is there anything new to try? Or am I stuck until they fix whatever their new problem is?

This is in my logs too:

[1126/153814:WARNING:dns_config_service_win.cc(520)] Failed to read DnsHosts.
    [1126/153817:INFO:CONSOLE(0)] "Select shard: 0," source: http://launcher.startrekonline.com/static/all/js/api.js(96)

Any help would be appreciated. I just started playing again, and if this is going to happen every other day, I guess I'm wasting my time playing this again, heh.