test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Add home worlds

goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
Developers should start working on adding the home worlds of the support races for each faction. Andorian, Vulcan, Gorn, Orion, etc. If they can flesh out Risa, the can give the player base other planets to visit.
klingon-bridge.jpg

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Think that would be cool idea and would be plus for role players. But they need fix some of stuff we dealing with now.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Andorians and the Vulcans already have visitable homeworlds...

Go there... see how useful and entertaining they are.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »

Thanks. I play Klingon mostly. If the home worlds aren't much to look at, perhaps they should be brought up to par. My thought is...major races should have a presence in the game. If your character is aligned with them, you should be able to visit those home worlds.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So i should be able to visit earth not just a space dock then?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    goodscotch wrote: »
    Thanks. I play Klingon mostly. If the home worlds aren't much to look at, perhaps they should be brought up to par. My thought is...major races should have a presence in the game. If your character is aligned with them, you should be able to visit those home worlds.

It's not so much a question of bringing them up to par... Vulcan is pretty awesome eye-candy.

The problem is, that like Bajor, that's all it is... Eye-candy. There is no point in adding more maps, if you can't add loads of content... new content.

Sure, they could copy new Romulus and make a Andoria map out of that... put a little snow here and there, but it would still just be Romulus with a different skin... Cryptic is not high on that.

Thats also the reason why only one of the 8 + 1 planets in our SOL are there.
    birzark wrote: »

You already can... to a degree...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Worlds without content are a waste...What the game really needs is a ferenginar though, it'd be a great place for foundry missions and open so many possibilities in general, plus it'd open up a lot of new possibilities for latinum.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It's not so much a question of bringing them up to par... Vulcan is pretty awesome eye-candy.

The problem is, that like Bajor, that's all it is... Eye-candy. There is no point in adding more maps, if you can't add loads of content... new content.

Sure, they could copy new Romulus and make a Andoria map out of that... put a little snow here and there, but it would still just be Romulus with a different skin... Cryptic is not high on that.

Thats also the reason why only one of the 8 + 1 planets in our SOL are there.

You already can... to a degree...

I agree...they're not high on "window dressing." In my opinion, it would benefit them in the long run though because players would appreciate the atmosphere of the virtual world and remain playing while waiting for new content. I do agree with what you said though...they're just not high on "eye candy."
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2014
    I agree...they're not high on "window dressing." In my opinion, it would benefit them in the long run though because players would appreciate the atmosphere of the virtual world and remain playing while waiting for new content. I do agree with what you said though...they're just not high on "eye candy."

It'd be nice if the planets started integrating pick up missions, Cyrptic could even run contests for foundry authors to create appropriate content that they can add to ground zones. It'd run similar to battlezones in that sometimes they'd be there as random encounters you could pick up and do. Did I mention Ferenginar? :P With the appropriate screening there's no reason Cryptic shouldn't use foundry authors as a tool to enhance planetary experience.
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You forgotten the irony-tags. ;)

Its a general problem, that there are a lot of nice places in STO, but there after a storyline, there are not 'useful'. Sometimes i visit this places again, like Bajor or Vulcan.

We need more options and interactions on these worlds, so that players are motivated to come back and visits them.

Another problem of this game ist, that there is no need for great planets and space stations, because all you need to play ist your PvE-queue, a mail, exchange and bank terminal and your DOff and character window.

Prior in game this was different: You had to travel to the solar systems where your mission starts, you had to visit different commodity traders for your reputation projects, need to interact with other players to find a team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    To be fair, Andoria was originally intended as a OPvP map, but that sees to be beyond the Cryptic engines capabilities.
  • Options
    castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The chances of seeing things are so/so because as people point out, creating worlds without things to do is 'pointless' Thats the biggest hurdle to getting anything is that you (the you in this case being the entire team at Cryptic) have to justify the time it takes to make the world. That means you have to create the ground map, you have to give a reason to go there, you have to make it worth a players wild to explore this world. That is the biggest challenge overall, like has been pointed out, visit Andor or Vulcan. At least Vulcan has the sum total of a mission to have you visit the planet surface....

What I would love to see is a series of patrols that take place at places like these, so that a justification of the time expenditure can be made. get your ship posted for a short chain of missions at vulcan, at andor, Tau Lacertae IX, etc etc
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Considering they just removed Memory Alpha (intstead of putting it to some use), I wouldn't hold my breath ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Considering they just removed Memory Alpha, I wouldn't hold my breath ...

Yeah that sucked when I went to see what they did with it :(
  • Options
    withnail68withnail68 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Trill, Cait and Betazed are in the "gap" between the Sirus sector and Cardassian space. So space sectors will need to be added there and that will block the hyperspace bypass for the Klingons to the deferi sectors
  • Options
    binebanebinebane Member Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i think we should have ability to buy homes. for lots of EC, dilithium and zen obviously. with some special doff assgimnets like dish washing, cooking, vacuuming...
  • Options
    darthpetersendarthpetersen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    binebane wrote: »
    i think we should have ability to buy homes. for lots of EC, dilithium and zen obviously. with some special doff assgimnets like dish washing, cooking, vacuuming...

As a commanding officer of a ship, i would love first there would expand the ship interior with customization, mini games and missions.

After that i would buy a Chateaux in france or an house on Bajor. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Star Trek is in part about exploring Strange New Worlds.

New Romulus is a fantastic example of what can be done with a homeworld. It integrates mini missions, a reputation system that unlocks more missions and a great storyline.

Whereas Kobali Prime and the Dyson Adventure Zone are (imo) bad examples for those of us that think content is more than just shooting stuff.
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited November 2014

Visit and . . . do . . . what?

We already get flak for areas of the game that "don't serve a purpose."
    What would the purpose be for these worlds?

I'm not disagreeing, I would like to flesh out a number of worlds (though making one for every race may be less feasible.)
    birzark wrote: »

Where do you think Starfleet Academy is?

Um . . . did you not just witness the backlash over adding Club 47?
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing, I would like to flesh out a number of worlds (though making one for every race may be less feasible.)

Dude... why repeat what has already been said?

/GotYourBack.
  • Options
    drreverenddrreverend Member Posts: 459 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The backlash people are idiots, and more importantly, wrong. I like Club 47 and I am glad you added it. Adding some of the homeworlds like Andoria, Ferenginar, Cardassia, so on, in the way that Vulcan and Risa are fleshed out - and even to a lesser extent Bajor - would be great.

Heck, being able to use the big zones in a non-combat social map the way you can Defera, would be great. I'd love to be able to explore Kobali Prime or the Dyson Sphere's Battlezone without getting jumped ever 5.3 seconds by dinosaurs or space cobra-men in space WWI outfits.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Developers should start working on adding the home worlds of the support races for each faction. Andorian, Vulcan, Gorn, Orion, etc. If they can flesh out Risa, the can give the player base other planets to visit.

If you can only sight-see there, it's wasted effort IMO (and probably Cryptic, too). The time spend on making that map could be spend on making maps for a mission.

I think it might be better if once a year they set aside one Season to flesh out a single planet and give it a set of missions. It doesn't have to be the grand epics of "How we Saved the Delta Quadrant" - it could be something smaller. Stuff like solving or stopping a crime. Doing some diplomacy (grand or small scale - say, on your day off you help the Ambassador's daughter to find her boyfriend.) or maybe some interpersonal stuff (romance someone, reconnect with an old friend). Some espionage stuff for Intelligence. Some puzzle-solving.

Maybe Nimbus and New Romulus could actually serve as a template here, though both may be too combat-heavy for the typically peaceful home world.

But of course, some people want those grand epics. Others want exploration, and really... exploring a home world sounds lame for a Starfleet Officer. It's okay for a tourist, of course.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Maybe a series of "Homefront" FE arcs? You could pair them off for KDF/Fed factions so that nobody gets left out: criminal intrigues with the Orions on one side while protecting Tellarite mining interests from the Syndicate on the other; quell a dangerous Gorn uprising for the KDF while unravelling some deep mystery of the Aenar on Andoria for the Feds; play with the Ferasan/Caitian connection as something that threatens them both rears its head.

There are tons of things to do inside both the Klingon Empire and the Federation to explore the various homeworlds, the trick is to make sure that both sides have something to do.
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    drreverend wrote: »
    being able to use the big zones in a non-combat social map the way you can Defera, would be great. I'd love to be able to explore Kobali Prime or the Dyson Sphere's Battlezone without getting jumped ever 5.3 seconds by dinosaurs or space cobra-men in space WWI outfits.

I agree with this concept :)
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    binebane wrote: »

Asking for additions to the game is one thing, but suggesting they should cost a lot and three currencies on top of that is just crazy. It's like asking them to please raise their prices, so you can spend more money. :rolleyes::P
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Reverse order answers.
    Yes I noted the flak and tossed it out the airlock. The club feels like a real club set off the side with it own landscape. It has a natural flair to it and is impressive and shows what you can do when permitted. This show piece can be used as a demonstration of a place done right for future expansions.
    I further can't wait for the return of the conference room. I loved the ego boost of cutting through there and every one turning and saluting the highest ranking person present.

AND. For all the things in the old ESD that functioned. You took the map and made those areas combat zones and wrecked the place as a send off to the new design. I am looking forward to two or three years from now having a battle royale on those maps with all the over view in the main area, but twists and hiding areas in the club.

Purpose for the homeworlds. A few things. The often asked about player homes that we can put out trophies and decorate. You want a mechanic to tie to it? Give that location a small percentage off the time needed for crafting R&D after the player unlocks a workshop for his/her home.

Instead of Q having a random wintery map he uses a piece of Andoria and like Risa part of it is open year round.
    Faction specific repeatable versions of the Doff diplomatic/marauding missions only instead of doffs it is the PC and Boffs. Go world to world and gather support for your faction and you specifically. Mission rewards based on skills used/dialogue choices. Don't put in a wrong choice just different outcome from the end reward as was done with the space suits mission.

Give the players option on how and where to play and they will.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Missions. Preferably ones that include species-specific missions and that reward homeworld/species-specific rewards. Like a huge quest chain on Ferasa that ends in receiving a Ferasan Raptor ship or a few missions on Ferenginar that when fully completed reward a full item set.

Also, BOFF/DOFF recruitment stuff.

Tailor unlocks.

Reputation missions.

Recreational minigames ala Dabo.

Starship/ground races.

You have tons of stuff that you all could choose to implement as you're making these worlds. Correct me if I'm wrong, all you'd have to do is make sure it keeps us busy/interested and it generates enough profit as to not be a waste. Hell, you could even integrate the whole thing into the story.

Theme it as mass-relief efforts, or perhaps crew shore leave to visit family & friends, or maybe a dramatic side-story that involves disguised Undine or another story-related crisis in those locations.

And to top it off, you wouldn't even have to do it all at once. Maybe one planet per season, or whatever pace you devs feel is appropriate.
  • Options
    druhindruhin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You're the dev, you think of it! I suppose it's possible you guys haven't thought of possibilities, but why are players supposed to come up with ideas, when you guys are the developers?

More to the point, Foundry Access, or write some new stories that are set on those worlds? And allow players continued access to the worlds after completing the story missions.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    druhin wrote: »
    You're the dev, you think of it! I suppose it's possible you guys haven't thought of possibilities, but why are players supposed to come up with ideas, when you guys are the developers?
    Because helping them with ideas might get that content released faster.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It would be cool if they added Cait and had some kind of nature and exploration rated accolades, items to collect etc.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    druhin wrote: »

Interesting logic here. Some of the players are saying "Give us more locations" but then it's up to the devs to determine what is done with them rather than those offering the "suggestions"

Way to half-TRIBBLE feedback.