test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crash to desktop on start

tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,653 Arc User
Trying to launch the game after loading today's patch gets me a crash to desktop with error 36186677.

I know the servers aren't back up yet at this writing, but I can usually get in and let it do whatever it does (probably compile shaders) for a few minutes it requires after a new patch drops starring at the splash screen.

Windows 8 Core i3 with Intel graphics laptop.

I'm really hoping this is just a hiccup, as I still can't play on my main system as of the previous patch(though that rig is kinda a mutant running an older Linux and WINE.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    uhoh...

*goes to check*

immediate crash to desktop.. IMMEDIATE.
  • Options
    oneofnine1oneofnine1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    same here this started on my windows 10 laptop last pacth now on all my os's it does it
    not good
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    doing a force verify...

but this does not bode well.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Force verify should repair it. It seems to be an error with a startup file.
  • Options
    oneofnine1oneofnine1 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Force verify fixed all but windows 10
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I ran the patch just now and started to see what mine would do. No CTD, just the expected login timeout since the servers are still down.

Typically I forgot today was maint day in lieu of Thanksgiving and had been playing Oblivion since it's calling again. I only jumped on the forums to check a couple threads and found this and had a "Doh!" moment, followed by an "I better check mine to see if it crashes after patch too."
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Doesn't work for me on Windows 8.1. Do you happen to know the name of the startup file that's erroring out so that I might delete it and retry verify again to get a new one?

Edit:
    Tried another Force Verify and it works now. Weird file errors this patch, someone was reporting that a fresh install via Arc was not working but a Steam install was, mine is a Steam install and required doing Force Verify twice...
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    rather odd, might be a corrupted file.
  • Options
    azrx91azrx91 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm having the same issues still, force verify didn't cut it for me. This is nuts... :mad:
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    azrx91 wrote: »
    I'm having the same issues still, force verify didn't cut it for me. This is nuts... :mad:

Did you try Force Verify twice? It didn't work the first time for me either.

If I were to guess, one of the patch servers has a corrupted file and it doesn't get fixed until you manage to connect to one of the patch servers that doesn't have the corrupted file. Unfortunately, it's likely behind a load-balancer, so we can't manually select which patch server, unless there's an option I'm missing, so try verifying at a different time.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh great, now I have my game crashing like this as of today! :mad:

Time to play something else for a while and maybe come back when you guys finally figure out how to program your own game. Sorry to be rough like this, but all the issues since DR launched - especially these related with graphics and crashing are becomming tiresome and it seems each patch you do just messes something else up.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    shanis281shanis281 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Oh great, now I have my game crashing like this as of today! :mad:

Time to play something else for a while and maybe come back when you guys finally figure out how to program your own game. Sorry to be rough like this, but all the issues since DR launched - especially these related with graphics and crashing are becomming tiresome and it seems each patch you do just messes something else up.

Having the same problems here. Tried verifying twice, no joy. Back to SWTOR for now!
  • Options
    shanis281shanis281 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I get the following error when I try to launch GameClient.exe:

wermgr.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at 0x100001a60 referenced memory at 0x10001a60. The memory could not be written.
    Click OK to terminate the program.

After clicking OK, GameClient.exe does not actually terminate but continues running in the background at ~30% CPU usage. I have to manually close it from the task manager or it will not release those resources. The CrypticError dialogue box does not show so I cannot submit a bug report.

This is the only application on my computer that does this, and I've never had a problem with it until the latest patch.