test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TR-116 vs Cochrane Shotgun

sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
Which is the better all-around ground weapon; TR-116 gives you range and damage, but the shotgun has higher states and the AOE.

Which one do you or would you take on the Bug Hunt (and other end-game ground)?

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ohh this is actually something i've been trying to figure out myself too. Engineer, 4pc 8472 set, 100k into ground. Bug Hunt Adv and Elite farming...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ive never done bug hunt, so I can't speak to that...but

The shotgun is a melee weapon..literally. You have to be in-their-face close to get full benefit of all that damage..and preferably behind.

The rifle has the advantage of reaching *way* out there and hitting mobs..i mean *way* out there. This is good because you can set your away team up, drop your turrets, heal gens, mines etc, and rally point your crew..then lure mobs into it with maximum preparedness.

The shotgun requires you to charge face first into the crowd, keep moving/circling, and literally jam it in their belly/buttcrack with every shot.

So it depends on where and what you're fighting.

If you are in a position where you are in close quarters most of the time, and you won't have time to prepare for encounters anyway, the shotgun is the winner

One key point to consider: The rifle and shotgun give *no* advantage whatsoever against mobs with no shield..and many mobs do not have a shield at all. For these mobs, you're looking for high DPS, as opposed to one of the unique shield penetrating weapons. A fleet antiproton splitbeam will handily out DPS either of them on unshielded mobs. This I feel is a key point.

If you are outdoors (such as mission maps, some borg stfs with long hallways/large rooms) or where room and time is in abundant supply, the rifle is king both for luring, and hammering hard mobs down before they can get to you..like elite tac drones...

If you're more than around 10 feet away, you'd do more damage throwing the shotgun at them than shooting them with it, it's actually *worse* than a pulsewave for damage reduction over range.
  • sanokskyratsanokskyrat Member Posts: 479 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    For me it comes down too 2 things. One you can craft an already Purple (Or ultra if your lucky) making it easier to upgrade, the other will take longer.

and 2
    Ones account bound meaning you can use on on any toon as long as you have an account bank.

I basic this on the fact i have 35 toons. I know its not everyone thing though.

So for me TR wins hands down.
    1368747308047.cached_zpsl4joalbs.jpg
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    The Cochrane shotgun turns me into a god of war. In Bug Hunt elite, I stride through knee-deep dead and destroy dozens of Delvers with each deadly discharge. Borg are blown to bits. Elachi are eliminated. No creature that stands before me, stands for long.

Maybe y'all don't know how to use it.
    I AM WAR.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    After having used both rather extensively, I think I can say the shotgun does well against large numbers of mobs up close like in bug hunt, but when you wish to take on single targets or mobs that are more spread out and not bunched up, the TR-116 wins hands down every time in terms of raw damage dealt over time.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Use both, and no exceptions. In my own case, I use Fleet armours and shield, and I use both the shotgun and TR-116. The pure kinetic build is a devastating combination, and one I very highly suggest others use too.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • mm06360mm06360 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Both.

TR116 is for dealing with those hard to reach bugs. and the shotgun just murders waves of bugs as I run around in my CC armor. Then again I got lucky and proc'ed to XIII CritH CritD X2 and might help a little on the killing of everything.

Works fantastic on elachi and borg. Not so much on voth and their high resistances. But thats what the dyson rifle is for.

The right tool for the right job. The engineer's way of doing thing. (We rule the ground!)
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I dont want to hijack the OPs thread...But i'm only actually building up a toon for bug hunt adv/elite and nothing else. But he said bug hunt and the other ground.

Since i'm only doing bug hunt and nothing else, is the TR's bonuses lost in BH since everything there doesnt have shields anyways? I'm stuck with the 8472 set rifle since i want it for the 4pc set bonus. If i need to hit anything at range it looks like i may end up just switching to that one and take the penalty to damage. And for everything else that is close range use the Cochrane. But again since i'm only doing Bug Hunt the shield penetrating effect of the Cochrane is also lost. So i may as well go with a regular Pulsewave like Thoron Infused for a chance at placate, Protonic Polaron for a chance at extra damage when i crit (which happens a lot since i'm built and spec'd for ground), or crafted AP pulsewave. And with the regular pulsewave i'll also benefit from energy damage boosts and abilities which the Cochrane doesnt appear to benefit from since its Phys damage.
  • biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Use both, and no exceptions. In my own case, I use Fleet armours and shield, and I use both the shotgun and TR-116. The pure kinetic build is a devastating combination, and one I very highly suggest others use too.

One is phys one is kinetic, big diff.

That said for bug hunt neither.
    For Nukera prime neither.
    For Borg TR-116.
    For Elachi Shotgun.
    For Undine Shotgun (preferably the pulsewave variety though the cochrane is perfectly fine against them).

Also to use the shotgun more effectively than TR-116 against Elachi you still need to have proper gear and skills to compliment the shotgun.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    Which is the better all-around ground weapon; TR-116 gives you range and damage, but the shotgun has higher states and the AOE.

Why not take both? Comparing a sniper rifle to a shotgun is not the best comparison simply because of the reach of each. The shotgun loses about all those stats really fast over distance.
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
    edited November 2014
    bierstein wrote: »
    One is phys one is kinetic, big diff.

That said for bug hunt neither.
    For Nukera prime neither.
    For Borg TR-116.
    For Elachi Shotgun.
    For Undine Shotgun (preferably the pulsewave variety though the cochrane is perfectly fine against them).

Also to use the shotgun more effectively than TR-116 against Elachi you still need to have proper gear and skills to compliment the shotgun.

I've always found the TR-116 the better choice against Elachi, you want to pick them off from afar as much as you can, getting close to Elachi isn't usually that good of an idea. Elachi skitterers, gas drones, stasis drones, and all that will tend to swamp you far more.
    edited November 2014
    I've always found the TR-116 the better choice against Elachi, you want to pick them off from afar as much as you can, getting close to Elachi isn't usually that good of an idea. Elachi skitterers, gas drones, stasis drones, and all that will tend to swamp you far more.

TBH Elachi is debateable because if you have the proper shotgun gear, traits etc. (almost perma +100%+ damage bonus) and end up solo or duo on 1 side you can wreck entire packs on elite, on the other hand if it's a TR-116 exclusive team they can drop them usually before a shotgun gets near when geared properly. Again depends on team and strategy but overall I'm loving the shotgun with proper gear/traits/kit. Also with the proper armor you can get the shotgun damage boost AND tox resist, so the skitterers aren't an issue and with the trait to remove CC (crowd control) I haven't had any issues with the gas or CC.

2 shotguns 1 path 3 TR-116s all properly tweaked to their appropriate weapon other and I think the shotguns will clear just as fast.
    edited November 2014
    TBH Elachi is debateable because if you have the proper shotgun gear (almost perma +100% damage bonus) and end up solo or duo on 1 side you can wreck entire packs on elite, on the other hand if it's a TR-116 exclusive team they can drop them usually before a shotgun gets near when geared properly. Again depends on team and strategy but overall I'm loving the shotgun with proper gear/traits/kit.

I am a sci so unlike a tac I can't drop them quite as fast, but I pick traits and gear that boosts damage as much as possible because tanking damage isn't so important against elachi, just smash them as fast as possible to make the timer on elite difficulty. I found I can lay waste to them far more reliably in say the halls and so on with a well timed adrenaline trait usage and aimed sniping with the TR-116. I've cleared groups of Elachi all alone in the hall parts with the sniper in less than 30 seconds, but if I tried to do that with a shotgun I'd have been jumped, gassed, and stasis snared far more often.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The OP is deciding between the 2 best ground weapons currently in game in my opinion.

I’m particularly glad I have 2 ground weapons slots in STO.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited November 2014
    I am a sci so unlike a tac I can't drop them quite as fast, but I pick traits and gear that boosts damage as much as possible because tanking damage isn't so important against elachi, just smash them as fast as possible to make the timer on elite difficulty. I found I can lay waste to them far more reliably in say the halls and so on with a well timed adrenaline trait usage and aimed sniping with the TR-116. I've cleared groups of Elachi all alone in the hall parts with the sniper in less than 30 seconds, but if I tried to do that with a shotgun I'd have been jumped, gassed, and stasis snared far more often.

Yeah, I should have specified, shotgun is definitely more friendly to Tac than other classes.
    The OP is deciding between the 2 best ground weapons currently in game in my opinion.

I’m particularly glad I have 2 ground weapons slots in STO.

I disagree, between Borg and Elachi yes, between the other missions I think one can even debate shotgun on undine but neither are even close to the best on bug hunt or nukara missions. The shotgun also tends to require a more delicate build around it than the TR-116 or other weapons and that should always be considered, swapping between TR and shotgun you're not only weak on certain missions but you're making sacrifices for the shotgun assuming you're doing it right.
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    They're both stellar weapons.. in the right situations. The shotgun is the king of Bug Hunt, the TR is the king of Borg STFs, but I still bring both to fight the Borg. Sometimes you're in close, and then the shotty will deliver that wallop to their face/backs, and other times you're at a distance so you need the range advantage.

I prefer mid to long range combat so my general preference is the TR when it's called for*, but you'd never catch me taking it on Bug Hunt. :P

*(my favorite is still the Dyson proton gun for general ground content)

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
    edited November 2014
    They're both stellar weapons.. in the right situations. The shotgun is the king of Bug Hunt, the TR is the king of Borg STFs, but I still bring both to fight the Borg. Sometimes you're in close, and then the shotty will deliver that wallop to their face/backs, and other times you're at a distance so you need the range advantage.

I prefer mid to long range combat so my general preference is the TR when it's called for*, but you'd never catch me taking it on Bug Hunt. :P

*(my favorite is still the Dyson proton gun for general ground content)

I still feel like I have to carry shotgun users in bug hunt, especially since I seem to be the only one on the team anymore that targets flying bugs and still outdamage them, I really think the shotgun is a poor choice for bug hunt, split beam all the way IMO.
    edited November 2014
    That's what equipping two guns is for. I switch out to a ranged weapon for pestilents unless they come down into my face. Not everyone seems to understand the drastic damage fall off the shotgun has, and I suspect that is at the root of people complaining that it sucks, while I'm over here consistently doing 1k hits and 3k crits with it thinking "Yeah, it sucks so hard that I'm doing more DPS than you" as I glance over at CLR.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That's what equipping two guns is for. I switch out to a ranged weapon for pestilents unless they come down into my face. Not everyone seems to understand the drastic damage fall off the shotgun has, and I suspect that is at the root of people complaining that it sucks, while I'm over here consistently doing 1k hits and 3k crits with it thinking "Yeah, it sucks so hard that I'm doing more DPS than you" as I glance over at CLR.

You have to stuff it up their nose and then it's lethal as a nuke. But get 10 paces out and you might well use a feather duster. LOL
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
    edited November 2014
    battykoda0 wrote: »
    You have to stuff it up their nose and then it's lethal as a nuke. But get 10 paces out and you might well use a feather duster. LOL

"Hey does this smell like gunpowder to you?"

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    edited November 2014
    TBH I don't really think there's a debate with Elachi since the shotgun can clear 4 groups solo on elite in the allotted time (possibly 5 if you have 100% gear for it which I don't, also mines still MK XII blue but I can clear 4 solo) and the TR-116 has proven it's more than effective there. Beyond that does it matter? I'm pretty sure neither can solo clear it no matter what gear you're loaded in. Though again the shotgun has a distinct advantage with Tactical that it doesn't with other classes.

Borg you could debate or bring both, but you have to keep in mind that the borg can hurt when you get too close, also I feel like their shields just absorb too much shotgun shell, especially if you're in a party negating 100% shield. TR-116 is just too effective as a team.

Bug hunt yeah you can switch but if you do switch why the TR over another (unless you're just trying to full 2 weapon everything) IDK maybe I'm just overly attached to my phaser weaponry there. Personally I just like all arounding it with a split beam.

Nukera prime there's no debate IMO a compression pistol is unmatched, a shotgun doesn't have the range for a competent teams clear speed and the map is small enough for a compression pistol.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wasn't aware it was patched in that we cannot have the TR-116A or B and Shotgun slotted at the same time?
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited November 2014
    I wasn't aware it was patched in that we cannot have the TR-116A or B and Shotgun slotted at the same time?

Sarcasm nice, it isn't but both require large investments to max out and the shotgun requires a special (and expensive) build around it to reach its potential, without that specialized setup it's just another weapon.
  • mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sentinel64 wrote: »

Both. Even if not both in the same time.
    I like to keep variety and not go "1 build to rule them all".
    Like on my engie toon I use TR-116 along with Adampted Maco shotgun + shield and Undine lobi armor.
    While on another toon, sci healer, went for the shotgun and use counter-command armor+rifle and that nukara shield that buffs the shotgun.
    Both combo work great in bug hunt since you have close range and long range options.

Also on other end-game grounds, each may be more usefull then the other, depending what you running. Like the shotgun may be better in kithomer ground while the TR-116 is more preferable in Infected...
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ive never done bug hunt, so I can't speak to that...but

The shotgun is a melee weapon..literally. You have to be in-their-face close to get full benefit of all that damage..and preferably behind.

The rifle has the advantage of reaching *way* out there and hitting mobs..i mean *way* out there. This is good because you can set your away team up, drop your turrets, heal gens, mines etc, and rally point your crew..then lure mobs into it with maximum preparedness.

The shotgun requires you to charge face first into the crowd, keep moving/circling, and literally jam it in their belly/buttcrack with every shot.

So it depends on where and what you're fighting.

If you are in a position where you are in close quarters most of the time, and you won't have time to prepare for encounters anyway, the shotgun is the winner

One key point to consider: The rifle and shotgun give *no* advantage whatsoever against mobs with no shield..and many mobs do not have a shield at all. For these mobs, you're looking for high DPS, as opposed to one of the unique shield penetrating weapons. A fleet antiproton splitbeam will handily out DPS either of them on unshielded mobs. This I feel is a key point.

If you are outdoors (such as mission maps, some borg stfs with long hallways/large rooms) or where room and time is in abundant supply, the rifle is king both for luring, and hammering hard mobs down before they can get to you..like elite tac drones...

If you're more than around 10 feet away, you'd do more damage throwing the shotgun at them than shooting them with it, it's actually *worse* than a pulsewave for damage reduction over range.

I believed that too but facts and numbers proved otherwise.
    The same AP Split beam crtDx3 by which I outdps everyone in my team in Nukara Transdimensional and which helped me to set up the record for tacs… that weapon never seemed to perform as well in Bug Hunt.
    Then, Ghost JKLSDC suggested me to try a pulsewave so I equipped and tried the free Cochrane shotgun : my numbers increased by about 100 with pretty much the same team : Ghost, Nando, Artesio and a pug from the DPS channels .
    Don't know why but it seems the shotgun works better in BHE.
    I Haven't tried the TRB 116b but … 1. Bugs don't have shields , 2. A lot of them spawn around you or they chase you like the pestilent.
    I see the TRB might be the go-to weapon against the Borg but I haven't tried Borg ground stfs after DR.
    P58WJe7.jpg

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I still feel like I have to carry shotgun users in bug hunt, especially since I seem to be the only one on the team anymore that targets flying bugs and still outdamage them, I really think the shotgun is a poor choice for bug hunt, split beam all the way IMO.

I have to agree. While the shotgun and TR are both good weapons, they're not the right tool for the job in bug hunt.

My favorite is 2 piece CC and either http://sto.gamepedia.com/Federation_Type_3_Phaser_Rifle or http://sto.gamepedia.com/Relativity_Self_Targeting_Rifle.

I'm a fan of ground combat so i upgraded both to XiV on my main. The XI blue version still works well though.

Against the bugs it's best to use split beams.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    They are both fantastic weapons, however the effectiveness really does just come down to the person using it. Before my mate got the TR-116B most people I saw using one were pretty poor at using it. Once he got hold of it I quickly learnt not to bother attacking his targets, simply because he pretty much one-shots just about everything.

The shotgun is a pretty nifty piece of kit as well, though I do wonder if the damage drop off over distance is working as intended or not because I've found it to have a very sudden dive unlike pulsewaves that go down fairly consistently over distance. That said you get a group in the blast area you do a lot of damage, even individual enemies get hit hard. It's more a case of knowing when to use it to get the best out of it.Like a pulsewave though using it at medium range is a waste of its potential, so I'd get in close anyway just to get the full potential out of it.

That's my take on them, like I say they're both fantastic they just require someone using them that knows what they are doing.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • tarrynrextarrynrex Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Where can I get a hold of a TR-116? Got a Cochrane, not used it yet.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,463 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tarrynrex wrote: »
    Where can I get a hold of a TR-116? Got a Cochrane, not used it yet.

They're on the exchange at roughly 7M EC for a VR version.

Or, if you're level 15 at ground R&D and have the suitable doff, you can craft it. The purple doff needed is pretty expensive though.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • maliusnightmaliusnight Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Do you prefer sniper rifle or pulsewaves?
    Regardless the TR-116 and the C-Gun are ideal weapons for dealing with any thing that has shields, Which is most tech based enemies. This does not include anything in Bug Hunt. Which I personally prefer the Voth set for, though I agree that the toxin resistance of the CC set is a strong. Mowing through BHE is great fun though I agree, and remains very lucrative.