Options

Just gonna take a peek...

2»

Comments

• Options
    amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wykin wrote: »
    You would still be able to do what you do now.. just that once the account cap (whatever it will be) is reached it ends.
    Or you say "TRIBBLE those one or few char players, i want to get ****tons of dilithium and dont give a TRIBBLE if the game isnt enjoyable for them"?

Honestly, that's what's already been done with the zen for dilithium thing or I would have a greater tendency to agree with your position. The few that are willing to spend a few hundred dollars per month are TRIBBLE the rest of us over, even those of us who do have an insane number of characters.

They've never found a balance and only support the whales, understandable to a point, but it's making the game suck for quite a few people that have less time and less characters to run through a doff grind daily.

I have non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome with a 28 hour circadian rhythm, and still suck at grinding dilithium, in large part because it's the polar opposite of fun for me. I could probably take my twenty-six toons and spend the day running each of them through the mine along with the doff grind and treble my output, but I don't because it's not even remotely enjoyable to do once.

In the end, this is a game, it's supposed to be an enjoyable diversion, not a fulltime job.
  • Options
    breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    I assumed that too, but if you look at the graphic as it is now, the bottom linechart (solid) has current lines since the DR "pip" underneath the rest of the line excepting maybe October 2012. Because of that, it simply doesn't seem to fit the "average players" numbers. I imported the data into Excel and that solid linechart doesn't seem to represent either peak, nor average as displayed below.

I agree with the rest of your assessment, it's just the nature of the solid chart I think we may have been misinterpreting.

The line is how many folks are online using Steam in whatever timeframe you have selected, the shaded area is "All" no matter what. It lets you look at both the narrow and broad picture at the same time. Click on the "All" timeframe and you'll find the lines coincide with each other. You can also manually select the timeframe you want the line to display by dragging the little white widgets along that shaded "All" chart, altering what's displayed above.
    wykin wrote: »
    You would still be able to do what you do now.. just that once the account cap (whatever it will be) is reached it ends.
    Or you say "TRIBBLE those one or few char players, i want to get ****tons of dilithium and dont give a TRIBBLE if the game isnt enjoyable for them"?

The Dilithium Exchange makes the company money. For there to be Zen on the Dilithium Exchange, someone has to have purchased that Zen. The company doesn't give a TRIBBLE how you go about earning dilithium to put on the Dilithium Exchange, they just want the ability to get others to buy it... that's why everything takes dilithium and why the refining cap exists. Don't kid youself... even if you've never paid a cent for Zen, you've still helped the company make money.

Plus, farmers make the servers look more active in metrics like the Steam Charts. ;)

The progression sucks for everyone, it just sucks more if you like playing different factions, professions, species, builds, or characters in general. :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly, that's what's already been done with the zen for dilithium thing or I would have a greater tendency to agree with your position. The few that are willing to spend a few hundred dollars per month are TRIBBLE the rest of us over, even those of us who do have an insane number of characters.

They've never found a balance and only support the whales, understandable to a point, but it's making the game suck for quite a few people that have less time and less characters to run through a doff grind daily.

I have non-24-hour sleep-wake syndrome with a 28 hour circadian rhythm, and still suck at grinding dilithium, in large part because it's the polar opposite of fun for me. I could probably take my twenty-six toons and spend the day running each of them through the mine along with the doff grind and treble my output, but I don't because it's not even remotely enjoyable to do once.

In the end, this is a game, it's supposed to be an enjoyable diversion, not a fulltime job.

In the end, it has become so... :o
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The line is how many folks are online using Steam in whatever timeframe you have selected, the shaded area is "All" no matter what. It lets you look at both the narrow and broad picture at the same time. Click on the "All" timeframe and you'll find the lines coincide with each other. You can also manually select the timeframe you want the line to display by...

I assumed that early on too, but if that were the case, then the bottom DR "shape" would be the same as the top DR "shape" when "All" is selected. They're not, so they appear to be measuring different things. The top line is definitely "Peak players" (you can hover and see), spreadsheeting averages brought out a different shape, and Steam Charts does collect data on 'total playersbase hours' so that's why I suggested it may be that.
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,510 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    IMO it does not matter if they reduce grind/lower SP requirements/increase Skill gain. After the storyline STO need something that keeps the players enternained enogh to keep playing. Everything else from the money-grind should be something optional on the side. What do I need a (assuming next lockbox) Vaudwaar artillery ship for if I'm not really interested in replays or the new STF difficulty of advanced+? Why upping from mk13 to 14 or even to gold quality with the absurd costs attached if my ship gets parked after the latest new mission (or the event daily)?

Maybe I'm a bit burned out ATM to see the point but currently its more like duty to the fleet to show I'm still there when logging in (exceptions are curiosity for new stuff like the new Club) and with the annoying X minute delay till the package of Doff Missions & R&D results has finished cycling these trough different chars lost their appeal too.

New reputation maxing & getting Rep.Marks? On my main & maybe on a second one in time. Otherwise why bother? Its not like are must haves after the first 8 trait slots are filled.

So, for me at least, it does not really matter much if the skill gain gets either much harder or much easier.

...but maybe I come back to all of it later after I got my second mug of coffee.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    janus1975 wrote: »
    I assumed that early on too, but if that were the case, then the bottom DR "shape" would be the same as the top DR "shape" when "All" is selected. They're not, so they appear to be measuring different things. The top line is definitely "Peak players" (you can hover and see), spreadsheeting averages brought out a different shape, and Steam Charts does collect data on 'total playersbase hours' so that's why I suggested it may be that.

I think the chart looses detail the wider your selected time frame is. Switch from [March 2014 to November 2014] to [April 2014 to November 2014] you'll see a loss in detailed points in the October/November area.

I prefer to ignore the chart - visual representations always look nice, but can always be misleading, especially if you don't know what data is used, and what techniques are in play.

The average play numbers month by month are more interesting. At least we can probably figure out what they represent - since they measure hourly player counts, the monthly average would be of all the average hourly player counts. But the final numbers for November are obviously not in yet, so we only have the trend up to the release month of Delta Rising.
    • May 2014: 2182
    • June 2014: 1610
    • July 2014: 1401
    • August 2014: 1764
    • September 2014: 1774
    • October 2014: 2536
    • Last 30 days: 2319
    The last 30 day average of course still contains player counts from the last month, so it is likely to be higher than the final November numbers will be, unless the last week of November sees a rise in player counts again.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    You are aware that not everyone uses Steam, yes? For starters, last I heard, the stand-alone launcher hasn't been disabled - and a lot of people are adamantly against using a separate launcher platform like Steam or Arc. (Not sure if they're sufficiently adamant to refuse to play the game after the standalone launcher is disabled, but they definitely aren't going to download one any sooner than absolutely necessary.) And, of course, some people actually do use Arc...

i just view those stem numbers as any poll is. its jsut a snapshot of players sure its not all players arc or standalone. ( im still stand alone) but that snapshot should still be pretty accurate in the facts not so much the numbers but the trends of the players. meaning players are dropping off.
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The steam charts are pretty accurate.
    Yes, they do not reflect the statistics for all the STO players, but are ARC players or the ones which just have the gameclient different from the Steam players? ->NO

They play the same game... they have the same content... they face the same bugs and issues.... they dont gain more xp than other players... they have to do the same grind like all others with the new upgrade system.

Fact is there is no reason to believe that the Steam users act different or have different views about this game just because they are Steam users.
    There is absolutelly no reason to believe that NON-Steam users for a miracle reason like Delta Rising and the changes that were introduced since that more than a Steam user would.

These numbers might not show the entire player base as total numbers... but these numbers show a pretty accurate trend in % that can be applied to all STO players.

Everybody who makes claims about the steam charts being not correct or not representative should first prove such as statement or give us a logical explanation for such a claim.

Same applies to the people which claim that the players which complain here at the forum are just some trolls while all that enjoy the game are silently playing on the server.
    Just because people dont say anything at all does not simply mean they agree with everything or enjoy the game.
    Many have left the game without even bothering to visit the forum.
    Many simply sit around and hope that with the next patch the situation improves.
    Many use the zone chat to complain.
    Many use other forums and communities to complain about the current mess.

IF the situation would be fine and acceptable for most players you would see more positive feedback. But there is none.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    swatop wrote: »
    The steam charts are pretty accurate.
    Yes, they do not reflect the statistics for all the STO players, but are ARC players or the ones which just have the gameclient different from the Steam players? ->NO
    Overall, I think the same, but to play the PWE's advocate, err I mean the devil's advocate:

STEAM is a platform for people that play a lot of games. So people with a Steam Account are more likely to be familliar with many different games are also likely to switch game's at a moment's notice.

Star Trek Online was at least in the beginning a game that attracted many people that are primarily interested in Star Trek, not gaming and games in general, so they have a stronger attachment to the game than the average Steam user.

It is unlikely that someone that wanted to play Star Trek Online would select a Steam client before the "old" game client or the Arc Client, since the directest path to STO is not via Steam. So the Steam sample would likely underrepresent players that are not traditional gaming enthusiasts and play Star Trek Online primary for the franchise.

(Question is - does that distinction really matter?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well, im not a steam player
    Im playing many other games aswell.... often try new stuff.

found STO via google...
    what does that mean?

-> nothing

people choose the games they like and leave the ones they dont like... it does not matter what platform they use.
    a steam user could go to the next nice steam game and a "google user" (oh well... thats certainly a bad example) could google for the next game to play.
    I dont think that this makes a big difference.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Overall, I think the same, but to play the PWE's advocate, err I mean the devil's advocate:

(snip)

You mean you actually have a post where you are not Cryptic's advocate?

I normally skip your Cryptic PR rehash as you belong to the category of a cheerleader, with thousands of posts and camping the forums, who would defend a truckload of manure if it had STO logo on it.

Your Precious is in trouble.
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014

STEAM is a platform for people that play a lot of games. So people with a Steam Account are more likely to be familliar with many different games are also likely to switch game's at a moment's notice.

Star Trek Online was at least in the beginning a game that attracted many people that are primarily interested in Star Trek, not gaming and games in general, so they have a stronger attachment to the game than the average Steam user.

It is unlikely that someone that wanted to play Star Trek Online would select a Steam client before the "old" game client or the Arc Client, since the directest path to STO is not via Steam. So the Steam sample would likely underrepresent players that are not traditional gaming enthusiasts and play Star Trek Online primary for the franchise.

(Question is - does that distinction really matter?)

I highlighted the relevant bit for you. It doesn't What those Steam statistics show is a slice of the STO gaming community. It will include casual, hardcore and all variations of player in it. That's a given. It also shows that the reaction to DR has been swift in that players came back or new players started for it's launch, and the population has declined in 1 month to roughly the same as the population during the double XP fortnight before DR was released. With Q's event coming up there will probably be a minor spike in numbers as people attempt to get the next Breen ship (Carrier???) but statistically the game will be worse off as the numbers are steadily declining.

I know I'm not logging on for much meaningful activity. Just doing the R&D schools to 15, that's it. Not even doffing as it's too much effort for not enough reward, especially with the DoFF nerf from the last patch.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    sitheachsitheach Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Now watch the avg players grow lower and lower
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. ~ Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I see a lot of hyperbole on both sides of the fence. People toss around statistics like they were a weapon, when in reality those statistics aren't really what Cryptic seems worried about. Those Steam numbers could drop down to 100 players a month and Cryptic wouldn't care - as long as their cash income is where they want it.

All the 'numbers are declining, look!' evidence and people complaining about low STF turnouts and low Fleet participation, etc, doesn't mean squat if there are players in the game still spending a ton of $ on stuff. Plenty of people have bought DR stuff from the store, and I am pretty sure only Cryptic knows what the income levels really are, despite the Steam numbers chart.

And no, I don't use Steam either. And I am a casual player, and I don't grind, and I have one 60 and a couple 59s. Hell, I haven't even -been- to the Delta Quadrant yet.... but I understand my playstyle isn't the norm.

But like most things, money talks and that's what really matters. I'd wager that a lot of people in this forum still -do- spend money on this game, even if those folks don't want to admit it. I know I do. I am still enjoying the game. But as long as Cryptic still sees that $ rolling in, what incentive do they have to listen to -anyone-? Those numbers can keep hemorrhaging like warp plasma into space, and all the ranting in the world here in the forums ain't gonna change squat.

But seeing C-store sales drop will sure get their notice.

Right now Cryptic is likely in a 'wait and see' mode. It's too soon for them to determine if sales are rising/dropping with any sort of consistency due to DR. Sure there was that surge upward when it launched, as most would expect. But a month later - is it still rising? Has it leveled off? Is it dipping? And if it has dipped, has it dipped yet to pre-DR levels already? How does the C-store sales equate to LOR era sales? These are things Cryptic is likely going to give some time to before moving forward with any sort of changes.

And when those changes come, they will be in the form of 'improvements' rather than 'fixing **** they broke'.

Folks whining about being banned on their Facebook page - it does not benefit Cryptic at all to let hot-heads bellyache about the game on social media that they control. Bazillions of people know about facebook - far fewer come here to read, Cryptic is banking on. I am not surprised that they wield the ban-stick far more regularly on Facebook.

But the bottom line is pretty simple - stop spending $ if you want to get your message across. $ is a language that they do understand and listen to. The passionate cries of fans here really don't carry near as much weight as some people seem to think.
  • Options
    donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You don't need to look at steam stats to get an idea how the game is going. Look at the PVE queues The only time I saw it this low was on tribble and most of the time on tribble it is even lower there. Yeah people could be busy leveling toon and ship up to do them. But I think people are not bothering with them and they are a waste of time now. When I do cure adavnce I think to myself why should I take on 2 BOPs with 300k hull and I only have 81k. It is stupid to me not a challenge. Nothing worse than hitting a npcs 1 to 3k damage as it scrolls up on screen and watch the 8% hull slowly tick down at a crawl to 0. When I'm at 8% I take one hit and poof. So to me as long as the queues are unbalanced they won't be coming back for awhile.
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    And this week numbers are up, and they are the lowers numbers since sep 2012.

Nice work cryptic, keep nerfing the LVL progress.

The hard and objective steam data is also corraborate by many other facts, even if thouse facts are not 100% sure or no objective, like the deads of the Queues (both PVE and PVP), the report that many fleets are lossing players, etc, seems to corraborate in a way, the setam data.

Beside, even the steam data seems to fallow a logic: numbers go up each season (like we know it happend) and get lower a few weeks later, to go up when there is an event. Also they grow on the weekens and get lower on monday. They seem to fallow the general population behavior.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So I too have ventured into the world of steam to see where STO at, and I was shocked where it is on the list. Not what OP has link us too. That would explain why at Club 47 yesterday I was the only one in the Club that wasn't NPC. I really enjoy STO and more with my BOF on Nimbus 3, a hang-out for me and my full beam down crew. I would like to beam my BOF instead of just 2 of them on Dyson Ground Battlezone or KP Ground Battlezone.

I know you could have more if when I am playing my KDF or ROM they both can spawn out more security level III support., combat pets all sorts. Of course on time limit unless there is heavy battling going on. Non-Stop Battling with Support

Make STO more enjoyable instead of limiting who can beam down with you from your own BOF crew. If you spawn more ground enemies like on KP and Dyson Ground Battlezone but you limit us to only 2 BOF an allow us to use 4 BOF on Nimbus 3 Ground Battlezone.

Now that I am at level 60 on 3 players for FED, ROM-FED and KDF not much too do now! Just wait on the next event or new content to be released. Sure there are PVE but the queues are not where they would be so I could join. PVP I am not a fan of. Unless this game was to the point you were always getting attacked by players every day. That's what PVP was in the other stream games I was playing daily. STO gives you a choice to play PVP or just do PVE or just solo. Choice is better to me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!