test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Another one bites the dust

mancommancom Member Posts: 784 Arc User
edited November 2014 in PvP Gameplay
What happens when you start looking into possibly balancing space abilities?

Well, you leave Cryptic soon after.
Post edited by mancom on

Comments

• wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    worth a lol i guess.... this really has NOTHING to do with the path the game is following i assume? :rolleyes:

edit: all best wishes from here as well! it's hard to see the good guys leave :(!
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Oh damn...

Well, I guess best wishes for the future are in order for Adjudicatorhawk. (In STO's case however, best wishes aren't gonna help.)
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Really sux, seemed like he was the only dev that talked with pvp and tried to balance for it as much as he could. Geko is the one who needs to go...
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    toiva wrote: »
    Well, I guess best wishes for the future are in order for Adjudicatorhawk.

That. He probably wont read this of course.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Really sux, seemed like he was the only dev that talked with pvp and tried to balance for it as much as he could. Geko is the one who needs to go...

Geko is just following orders to keep the game as profitable as he can for as long as he can. The problem is management above him that refuses to budge on keeping STO an absolute budget tittle and spend a little on improving things.
  • hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Geko is just following orders to keep the game as profitable as he can for as long as he can. The problem is management above him that refuses to budge on keeping STO an absolute budget tittle and spend a little on improving things.

Who knows what orders he's following. I do know that he is the one responsible for PVP being neglected forever and that he dislikes PvP'ers. Referring to them as "A bunch of 14 year old min-maxers".

Neverwinter has a far better developed PvP so we can't say that it's PWE that is against doing anything for PvP in STO.

And now the guy who wanted to balance the BO powers in the game is gone. This does not bode well.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Given how more than a few PvPers act, I can hardly blame Geko for having a negative opinion of the PvP community.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I'm sure those orders tell him to constantly insult and dismiss the playerbase, to don't give a **** about faction or PvP balance, to show blatant favoritism in game design for things he personally likes, etc. and to implement lame instead of intelligent game design.

/sarcasm
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    mancom wrote: »
    What happens when you start looking into possibly balancing space abilities?

Well, you leave Cryptic soon after.

Noooooo, not Hawk...he and Borticus are the only ones that even pay PvP any attention.

I do wish him well on wherever he may go to work; he is a great developer.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • etherealplanesetherealplanes Member Posts: 414
    edited November 2014
    But really for some and me this is a sigh of relief. Not paying pvp any attention means I haven't had to dump any real money into this game in ages. I don't need to pay for a ditlhium boost which would be needed to build and grind out space pvp toons because I refuse to do regular space pvp. Ground toons are still grindable for free (grinded dilthium) imo. The best thing you guys can do to fight the machine is catch these new players as early as you can steer tham away from anything they might have to buy. If they want to build one of those space toons that vaped them so quickly tell them exactly how much real money it would cost them if they wanted to do it in a month. That should stop them :) Teach them the best ways to make energy credits and grind dilthium on thier own. Stop the newbies from feeding the machine out of ignorance.
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I had a rant about using your limited budget in a more balanced manner, making better and more appreciated use of monetization, or maybe not insulting aspects of your playerbase, but I deleted it...

As far as the OP... AdjudicatorHawk tended to be one of the more communicative devs here on the Forums, and really did appear to care about the game and its entire playerbase. He will be missed.
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why the "not so bad" devs allwais leave and we are stuck with Geko?

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Awe that's too bad. Hawk was great and always receptive to suggestions and would really converse about the way powers function. Best of luck in the future!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014

Be it Geko or his bosses over in Beijing, the game is currently on the wrong path. Fix the bugs, balance gameplay more, cut some of the excessive grind which has gotten out of hand, and maybe it can keep going.
  • skyranger1414skyranger1414 Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I'm sure those orders tell him to constantly insult and dismiss the playerbase, to don't give a **** about faction or PvP balance, to show blatant favoritism in game design for things he personally likes, etc. and to implement lame instead of intelligent game design.

/sarcasm

I think its more along the lines of doing what he thinks is best to keep the money flowing while trying to keep it fun for the playerbase, with management upstairs not really caring what he does as long as it works.

His bias for some ships, while readily apparent may also be an unfortunate situation where the wrong ships ended up in the wrong niches. The Excelsior springs to mind. Or it might be a case of having to do such a calculated move to promote sales, after all, if the Galaxy was an amazing ship how many trek fans would buy any other ships? The same applies to the Defiant and Intrepid albeit at a lesser degree (those two are merely bad as possessed to useless).

Finally his outbursts at the pvp community could be a result of mounting frustration with his job. Having to constantly milk players will get on anyone´s nerves and he can´t lash out to his bosses can he? Besides, having a certain disdain for the players makes his job of milking them easier.

These are all possibilities, things I would not discard out of hand due to personal experience in more than a few workplaces.

lucho80 wrote: »
    Be it Geko or his bosses over in Beijing, the game is currently on the wrong path. Fix the bugs, balance gameplay more, cut some of the excessive grind which has gotten out of hand, and maybe it can keep going.

I could not agree more. Unfortunately the only way to get that message across is for people to stop playing and stop spending and make it clear to Cryptic WHY they are doing both. And it has to be crystal clear or Cryptic will interpret it completely wrong and think its because people want MORE to do in the way of grind or some other nonsense. Now what are the odds of that happening?
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Don't bother hoping come play Eve... its less of a grind...

Ya thats right I said it. lol

I can't believe Cryptic has pushed the sto grind to the point where that is true. haha
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
    edited November 2014
    Why the "not so bad" devs allwais leave and we are stuck with Geko?

Well in all fairness the guy simply might have moved for a way better job or something. Or then again the work environment in that building just might be a bad place to work. Who knows maybe pwe is so cheap they make all the employees bring their own toilet paper. The wages their might be total TRIBBLE for California too. Could be a number of things. I am so tempted to find out what that place is like inside. I will be putting a craigslist ad up paying $500 for a cryptic employee building access badge :) Activates stealth module! Target acquired Geko! Tr -116 Rifle Fires! FIN
    edited November 2014

Well maybe we need to just fire some "Neutronic" missiles at pwe headquarters LOL!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well in all fairness the guy simply might have moved for a way better job or something. Or then again the work environment in that building just might be a bad place to work. Who knows maybe pwe is so cheap they make all the employees bring their own toilet paper. The wages their might be total TRIBBLE for California too. Could be a number of things. I am so tempted to find out what that place is like inside. I will be putting a craigslist ad up paying $500 for a cryptic employee building access badge :) Activates stealth module! Target acquired Geko! Tr -116 Rifle Fires! FIN

Be cheaper to just pay an ex-employee $50 bucks to give you the scoop on what it's like to work there.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Be cheaper to just pay an ex-employee $50 bucks to give you the scoop on what it's like to work there.

:cool:

I'll take that as EC or equivalent goods. ;)

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Cryptic-Studios-Reviews-E267596.htm
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The PvP forums are the loudest, most vitriol filled place around here, with each little clique having their own definition on what is and what is not balanced in space PvP...

PvPers also tend to both crow and whine the loudest over everything, from mocking or lauding certain play styles to the rampant amount of mouth running to crying for things to be nerfed or buffed.

Is it any wonder he left?
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The PvP forums are the loudest, most vitriol filled place around here, with each little clique having their own definition on what is and what is not balanced in space PvP...

PvPers also tend to both crow and whine the loudest over everything, from mocking or lauding certain play styles to the rampant amount of mouth running to crying for things to be nerfed or buffed.

bwahahahahaha.....ahhaahahahhahahahahah..... really competent and constructive. have a nice day :P
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited November 2014

wow totally missed the point of his thread...

also, do you even read the general forums? say, around DR launch and exp nerf?
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

you actually just described any thread outside the pvp section, were someone mentioned pvp. sorry, its the pve'ers that are the unwashed hysterical masses.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Pot, meet kettle.

Pot > kettle > black.

;)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014

The Reason I don't go to the PVP forums as much is because it's not as fun as the PVE forums.

I only come here to read all the useful information unlike general forums which is just wow, it's hard to believe people exist in real life over there.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • the4monkeysthe4monkeys Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The sad thing is this game is dying hard, there trying to create new customers all time when actually its the same ones playing still since free 2 play. They are coming to see new season and go shortly

The games dying badly in terms of content since season 6, delta rising screwed up the dynamics of the game but added story line. personally we should of had season 1-4, season 6 point then Romulus and Delta rising, we could of skipped out 3 seasons easily and less grind

Where do we go now? PVP is dead we lost devs! we have to grind alot more, if you created a proper pvp charactor its grind for points and then £500($750)+ in gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hawk leaving?

That's really unfortunate. He was at least willing to explain how things worked along with Bort, and was listening to feedback on balance. The STO team is a lot worse off without him.