test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cochranes Shotgun and DPS?

willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
Just got the Shotgun yesterday but used it on several missions already. I have to say that i am a bit Disappointed . Don´t know if its the shotgun or if there is a problem with the Game not showing DPS correctly.

According to the Rifles Stats it is more powerful than my Mk XIII MACO Pulsewave (which is very rare not just rare like the Shotgun) That surprises me a bit.

And even if the Shotgun should cause much Damage and has 100% Shield Pen. as far as i have seen it. It does not do very much Damage at all.

Ony if an enemy is in melee weapon Range it can cause a fair amount of Damage when i shoot him. If i am not that close i barely do any Damage.

My other Weapons, including my unupgraded Mk XIIs (reputation, Fleet) deal more Damage.
Post edited by willamsheridan on

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited November 2014
    Ony if an enemy is in melee weapon Range i can cause a fair amount of Damage when i shoot him. If i am not that close i barely do any Damage.

you are aware that real shotguns are most deadly at point blank and their effectiveness drops off rather sharply right? These aren't sniper rifles. They do mean mean things up close and personal, but swap out the shotgun if the enemy isnt up your nose.
  • Options
    opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you are aware that real shotguns are most deadly at point blank and their effectiveness drops off rather sharply right? These aren't sniper rifles. They do mean mean things up close and personal, but swap out the shotgun if the enemy isnt up your nose.

And also "real" shotguns aren't as dangerous up close as a lot of people think.

The buckshot can't penetrate good quality military armor. That's why most countries' ground forces carry Armor Piercing assault rifles.
  • Options
    biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Armor +30% physical damage
    Shield +10% physical damage
    Pretty sure there's a trait with 10% not positive though.
    Kit with physical damage life siphon.

THAT is how you use a shotgun. Can't tell me it does less now.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    U didnt spwnd money on the cockrain lol its going to be flaccid unless u upgrade it to be stiff enoughfor some real dps lol
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if the shotgun has a greater damage falloff at range than the usual pulsewave in the game, a theory that should be tested by someone who has a comparible damage pulsewave. But I can certainly say the shotgun is an amazing weapon at point blank and very close range, I use nothing else in Bug Hunt Elite now, splattered bugs!

Oh and also, let us not forget, some enemies may have more physical damage resistance than they do against energy (But I do not know for sure), and in some cases it's probably the reverse. Either way, the shotgun is amazing if you bother to upgrade it a notch.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Like said ... upgrade a notch for full value lolol dont get sucked in my friend
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I only upgrade the mark, not the rarity, and I find it's more than enough damage to make me happy. Like when I compared TR-116's, the amount gained by rarity was not so notable as much as what was gained by the mark increase to XIV.

And on a final note, you can keep discarding and reclaiming the shotgun from the dilithium store for free until you get the mods you want for it which are random when unpacked. I generally recommend doing so until you get [CritD]x2, then upgrade that one, when you crit a cluster of enemies with a shotgun that has those mods, it's devastating even in my hands as a dedicated healer sci who considers damage a secondary role at best!
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bierstein wrote: »
    Armor +30% physical damage
    Shield +10% physical damage
    Pretty sure there's a trait with 10% not positive though.
    Kit with physical damage life siphon.

THAT is how you use a shotgun. Can't tell me it does less now.
    Aren't physical damage bonus were changed to melee damage bonus ? Not sure, but my KHG armor boost melee damage, not physical, and I thought it boosted physical in the past.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What was Geordi's line in Hide And Q? "A metal slug propelled by a chemical explosion? Not much of a weapon by our standards."
  • Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited November 2014
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have not gotten mine yet, but if the shotgun is anything like the pulsewave assaults in game, there is a damage falloff mechanic. The farther the enemy is, the less damage it does. The closer the enemy is, the optimal damage you deal.

The pulsewave assaults do mention this in the weapon information, but if the Zefram Cochrane Shotgun does not list it in the weapon info and your outgoing damage is not what you think it should be, I would consider the possibility it uses the same pulsewave assault game mechanics for calculating damage.

And Cryptic just forgot to add it in there, of course.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Of course the Shotgun is like a Pulsewave. Or should i say a Pulsewave is nothung more than an Energy Shotgun.

I currently can´t afford to upgrade everything to Mk XIV. Still working on R&D. And i was just comparing the damage it should do with the Damage it actually causes and the Damage of other, lower Mark WEapons.

My MACO Pulsewave should do 159 DPS, the Shotgun 161. But the Shotgun does far less than that, not just a bit.
    I tried it against Klingon, Orions, Borg and Undine.

The Shield Bleedthrough of my MACO WEapons against Borg (Kinetic) is bigger than the Overall Damage of the Shotgun with 100% Shield Penetration.

And why do i need a Rifle that only works good at melee Range if i just can use Melee Weapons for that Like my Lirpa or my Crystalline Sword. And if the Range is so short its just not very good at all. Especially if enemies can knock you down with Melee weapons like Klingons or Assimilate you, like Borg.
  • Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    OP - research the nature of metal projectile fired from a barrel via a small explosion based weaponry.

HTH.
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    To me, this is the best gun in STO.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    You need to take into account the damage resistances of your target. Yes the stats to make for pretty impressive reading when compared to some other weapons. But again you need to look at the mechanics behind the shotgun. Its a close range weapon plain and simple. if you want stopping power over distance then you need to look else where.

As for the damage resistances, I was testing it out against a couple of fleet mates, the first having very high damage resistances so the shotgun did very little little in the way of damage nor knock backs. The second have little to no resistances, in which case the shot gun was lethal at close range as well as knocking him from one ramp over to the other in the assimilated cruiser ground map. And I've not looked at upgrading it yet.

The shotgun is the perfect partner in crime to the craftable TR-116B sniper rifle in the right hands both of these are deadly. In the wrong hands, well lets just say a spud gun would probably be better. All we need now is and auto carbine version of these weapons.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    opo98 wrote: »
    And also "real" shotguns aren't as dangerous up close as a lot of people think.

The buckshot can't penetrate good quality military armor. That's why most countries' ground forces carry Armor Piercing assault rifles.

LOL I love this misconception.

A 12 Gage loaded with "Goose Rounds" (stainless steel) will easily punch through ALL military grade armor. (it only slows it down so it can do more damage as it rebounds around inside the armor.)

This is my Home Defense Cannon.

Put a depleted slug in that bad boy and you can kill a locomotive.

I also hunt using said 12 gage with normal slugs.

True I can't "shoot" a deer from 2 miles away with a scope.

I have to get closer and actually engage the animal instead of playing Duck Hunt on an Atari.

I also don't worry about any Bear or Moose I encounter.

And I get a kick out of watching "Rifle Boy" trailing a shot dear for miles.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhKUnTYIv7I
    if you like shot guns check these bullets out :)... i wish lasers came out already XD...

Thank You for the link!

I like the acronym as well.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhKUnTYIv7I
    if you like shot guns check these bullets out :)... i wish lasers came out already XD...
    It's all fun and cool until you're on the wrong side of the bullet, and instead of merely getting one injury, you get even more with higher levels of damages, making you go to the medbay even more often not to stay crippled. :P

And I won't talk about RL applications because that's a huge can of worms. :P
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    LOL I love this misconception.

A 12 Gage loaded with "Goose Rounds" (stainless steel) will easily punch through ALL military grade armor. (it only slows it down so it can do more damage as it rebounds around inside the armor.)

This is my Home Defense Cannon.

Put a depleted slug in that bad boy and you can kill a locomotive.

I also hunt using said 12 gage with normal slugs.

True I can't "shoot" a deer from 2 miles away with a scope.

I have to get closer and actually engage the animal instead of playing Duck Hunt on an Atari.

I also don't worry about any Bear or Moose I encounter.

And I get a kick out of watching "Rifle Boy" trailing a shot dear for miles.

You are smoking crack. Shot pellets will not penetrate even soft body armor class II. Even pistol rounds (including .22 LR) have more armor penetration than buck shot (00 Shot), and steel is even less effective. The only reason steel shot exists is for environmental concerns.

There are steel cored slugs and sabot rounds but they are probably illegal in the US because they are classed as armor piercing.
  • Options
    ehrlehnehrlehn Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    actually sabot rounds are quite popular here in the US, they are manufactured here for deer hunting. Also, I can get magnesium rounds, flechette rounds, bolo rounds, tungsten penetrator, and just about any other combo you can think of for my 12 gauge here in the US.

I can go down to Walmart and get solid copper hollowpoint sabot rounds today if I wanted, for 12 or 20 qauge.

A 12 gauge shotgun is the most versatile firearm you can own.

Derrick - Fed Eng
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't like the shotgun

Sound effect is terrible and the size of the weapon model is too tiny
  • Options
    chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    dpsloss88 wrote: »
    You are smoking crack. Shot pellets will not penetrate even soft body armor class II.

They can really do a makeover on the face though.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You are smoking crack. Shot pellets will not penetrate even soft body armor class II. Even pistol rounds (including .22 LR) have more armor penetration than buck shot (00 Shot), and steel is even less effective. The only reason steel shot exists is for environmental concerns.

There are steel cored slugs and sabot rounds but they are probably illegal in the US because they are classed as armor piercing.
    The trick is range. A single piece of shot does almost nothing, but dozens of them hitting an area of a few square inches, will shatter the ceramic plates used for most military armor.

It's the same basic principle behind how a burst from an auto rifle can drop someone even if a single shot barely fazes them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    vestereng wrote: »
    I don't like the shotgun

Sound effect is terrible and the size of the weapon model is too tiny

Too tiny? No, I think it's actually a bit bigger than the one shown in Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXw6hC7hxBA

It's nice to have decently scaled weapon models, finally. I agree on the sound effect, though. Thing sounds pretty weak.
  • Options
    coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Shotgun seems to be only good for upfront in your face combat. If you think it going to hold-up in heavy battles at KP you can forget it because they seem to resist it already. I found something to use seems to the high DoT non-plusewave type. Not many of it left though on EC. What's available I've taken them all for my 3 factions.

Shown here
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1297891

What they should would have been something good is from Captain Kirk.
    1920s tommy gun (aka Thompson sub-machine gun) would be more ideal here, but that's not what we all had grind for in MIE. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Again, stainless steel rounds.

Lead flattens, steel does not so all current body armor just makes a nice crunching sound as they penetrate.

Don't feel bad though, the armor slows them down enough that they rebound off the inside of the back armor for another joy ride through the body.
  • Options
    dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Apparently Borg can adapt to this thing...with the caveat that it still seems to do full, or close to full, damage against them. I was running Assimilation a little while ago and had them adapt off a shot from it.