test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cochranes Shotgun and DPS?

2»

Comments

• coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was trying it on the Elite Tactical Drone Borg a second ago! Bad enough these are tough to go down. Shotgun was like I was shooting spitballs at it. Bio-Grenade along with the Shotgun, weapons boost as Rom Tac and hope!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    We made a few ground STF on weekend and many used the shotty, including me. I think it’s the best ground weapon since the new crafting rifle.

- From the naked stats it seems to be a pulsawave assault but with better stats even if not augmented. Treat it like one.
    - Borg do not adapted to it.
    - Reasonable amount of damage bypasses ANY shields.

I recommend using it as often as possible. It would be a shame and a hit in the face if cryptic nerfs its features.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shevet wrote: »
    I've shot quite a number of Borg with this thing already... the Borg sometimes appear to adapt to physical damage, but what they're actually adapting to is some special effect or secondary damage type. I'll often see the Borg "adapt" when I'm using a sword, because I have Cryo Immobilizer Module slotted from the Nukara rep, and they adapt to the cold damage from that.
    Yeah, a while ago they made it so Borg could adapt to plasma fires and stuff...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What was Geordi's line in Hide And Q? "A metal slug propelled by a chemical explosion? Not much of a weapon by our standards."

thats likely bravado rather then an accurate analysis.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • cecil08cecil08 Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The shotgun definitely loses effectiveness at range (and it does say so in the tooltip on it). However, it's probably the best weapon in the game for Borg hunting. Just get up close to the Borg and let loose and they won't be able to take much before dropping.
  • heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    A few useful shotgunning tips:

- Counter-command armor boosts its damage by 30%
    - There's a Nukara rep shield that gives a small chance to boost by another 15%
    - The Berserker trait gives you 5% bonus damage for every enemy within 5m of your toon, up to 4 enemies. Since you'll be using this gun up close, that's another 20% bonus damage easy.
    - The Biotech Siphon kit power will cause this shotgun to heal you during the brief window when it's up. This can be a lifesaver for tacs who otherwise lack decent heals.
    I AM WAR.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I was using it for the first time on CGE last night. Sometimes it just seemed to ... STOP... working. Sometimes a borg would seem to just take no damage from point-blank use. And there were 3 of us using the shotgun on it. It wouldn't lose any health or shields for many seconds. I rotated my frequencies (KHG 3pc), switched weapons and back. I don't know if these did anything or not, but soon after that it started losing health at what you might consider normal rates. As compared to all the other borg that went down.

I think this happened a couple of times in the match. Not sure why. I wonder if the borg are really adapting to it or not?

EDIT: P.S. I've only just started playing with the shotgun, but it is almost suicide to try to use it on BHE. For some reason bugs have nearly 100% resistance to it and will not die (but will kill you rather quickly because you can't thin out the horde). No kickback, almost no damage. Even the secondary against a horde when fired point blank will do nothing. Seems a bit idiotic if you ask me.
  • chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    you are aware that real shotguns are most deadly at point blank and their effectiveness drops off rather sharply right?

This myth tends to make shotguns one of the most annoyingly implemented weapons in gaming. Shotguns aren't sniper rifles, but they aren't just good at point blank ranges.
    ~Megamind@Sobekeus
  • hpgibbshpgibbs Member Posts: 395 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I re-rolled the shotgun and got it to be a CrdD x2, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good I've been doing with it, though I am a tactical officer. When I hit the psionic Command Aura, Motivation, Strike Team, Target Optics, Fire on my Mark, and so on, oh with the Gambling Device too. I've been testing this on Defara, and fully buffed, it takes 5 drones out in one shot (secondary firing mode) at 800+ damage PER drone.
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Ship build coordinator for The Breakfast Club http://WWW.TBCSTO.COM
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ran through that level 60 elachi mission on dr, i compared the vaadwuar pistol vs the shotgun, the shotgun wins no doubt, a typical grunt takes 2 shots at close range, however with a few abilities and flanking on secondary, elachi are dead in an instant. its a nice weapon within 7m, however outside that its damage dealing ability is not that great. a good trade off. its a useful weapon i want to keep a hold of for sure.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited November 2014
    ran through that level 60 elachi mission on dr, i compared the vaadwuar pistol vs the shotgun, the shotgun wins no doubt, a typical grunt takes 2 shots at close range, however with a few abilities and flanking on secondary, elachi are dead in an instant. its a nice weapon within 7m, however outside that its damage dealing ability is not that great. a good trade off. its a useful weapon i want to keep a hold of for sure.

Hence why my ground weapon choices are the Zephram Shotgun and the TR-116B Mk XIV ultra rare
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Don't forget the Physical Strength trait. Klingons and male Orion have +Physical Damage as well. I think Gorn and Vulcans only have +Melee Damage, though.
    you are aware that real shotguns are most deadly at point blank and their effectiveness drops off rather sharply right?

Shotguns, like most long gun, aren't most deadly at "point blank". They're rather unwieldy when you're too close.

Short barrel combat shotguns like the Mossberg 590 or Benelli M1014 have effective ranges of ~50m.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Don't forget the Physical Strength trait. Klingons and male Orion have +Physical Damage as well. I think Gorn and Vulcans only have +Melee Damage, though.
    Romulan and aliens to. Alien trait is "physical strength", Romulan is the base trait.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    Short barrel combat shotguns like the Mossberg 590 or Benelli M1014 have effective ranges of ~50m.
    Nothing in STO has a range of 50m, not even sniper rifles. :rolleyes:
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Again, stainless steel rounds.

Lead flattens, steel does not so all current body armor just makes a nice crunching sound as they penetrate.

Don't feel bad though, the armor slows them down enough that they rebound off the inside of the back armor for another joy ride through the body.

Modern Class III and III-A soft body armor will stop metallic shot. Also the trauma plate will prevent potential lethal impact (non-penetrating blunt force) injury from standard slug types, including steel.

This is especially true of the light body armor types in current use by NATO militaries, which are rated up to the M80 7.62mm NATO round.
  • opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Modern Class III and III-A soft body armor will stop metallic shot. Also the trauma plate will prevent potential lethal impact (non-penetrating blunt force) injury from standard slug types, including steel.

This is especially true of the light body armor types in current use by NATO militaries, which are rated up to the M80 7.62mm NATO round.

This. I've even seen some cutting edge body armor developed by this Canadian company that can stop penetration from Standard Full Metal Jacket 50mm rounds.

Not so much on the Tungsten AP 50mm rounds. :P
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    opo98 wrote: »
    And also "real" shotguns aren't as dangerous up close as a lot of people think.

The buckshot can't penetrate good quality military armor. That's why most countries' ground forces carry Armor Piercing assault rifles.

Or Slug shot for their shot guns.

A slug might not make it through the armor but you're not walking away without a broken rib.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I upgraded the shotgun yesterday right after I got it. I was lucky when it upgraded to XIV it also made the jump to VR. Stats say I believe 163.9 or something like that and since I had extra points left over the UR version showed 184. Highest numbers I had seen. I did think the info writeup mentioned that damage would fall off with range
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hpgibbs wrote: »
    I re-rolled the shotgun and got it to be a CrdD x2, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good I've been doing with it, though I am a tactical officer. When I hit the psionic Command Aura, Motivation, Strike Team, Target Optics, Fire on my Mark, and so on, oh with the Gambling Device too. I've been testing this on Defara, and fully buffed, it takes 5 drones out in one shot (secondary firing mode) at 800+ damage PER drone.

Ok how did you re-roll the shotty? I've not heard of a way to stat re-roll, but it would be welcome.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • sardociansardocian Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Ok how did you re-roll the shotty? I've not heard of a way to stat re-roll, but it would be welcome.

Discard it, go to dilithium store, but it from there for 0 dilithium

The stats on my shotgun show 193 dps at ESD, but no epic mods, so identical to the ultra rare version :/

http://imgur.com/CpPnex4
    edited November 2014
    sardocian wrote: »
    Discard it, go to dilithium store, but it from there for 0 dilithium

The stats on my shotgun show 193 dps at ESD, but no epic mods, so identical to the ultra rare version :/

http://imgur.com/CpPnex4

Gotta keep in mind the modifiers really REALLY stack up. It's a sexy looking boomstick you've got there. I can't wait to start upgrading mine
    The Grate Lorde Cheesus
    Doesn't Owe Anyone EC
    Kirks Prot
  • jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've had a 3K crit from my shotgun in BHE. I've only upgraded as far as VR so far though :D
    animated.gif