test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ESD taking way too long to load

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Whenever i login, it takes forever for earth space dock to load, one time it took 20 minutes for it to load, another time it took so long to load that it simply said "Press Any Key". ESD never took this long to load since before the 2800 series was removed from the featured episodes list. Afterwards, ESD just takes forever to load.

I know ppl are gonna say "just goto another space station" but this happens when i login and throughout, plus Club 47 is my afk spot and for checking my doff assignments and such. I cant post anywhere else but here because im not a subscriber so im posting it here.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    One thing you could is to figure out if it might be lag from connection.
    As I have no trouble, other than when heavy loads of people online, loading anything, it might and I said MIGHT be at your end. There can be certain times where loading are more difficult than others so if you try loggin on, on different hours and see if theres any difference at all.
    The increasing amount of lag issues can also come from old patch files. I usually, when it seems slow, delete the folders containing those in order to remove old data that can corrupt or interfere with the game and get a slight increase in loading.

It's listed up on forum topics.
    edited April 2012
    I'm having this same problem. I haven't been on the same since early March. When I was last on the game, I had no problems at all, and ESD took only seconds to load. (Usually no more than 30 seconds) Now today I've been playing and I've encountered long load times when switching to other sectors (An example is entering the Regulus sector, which took about 5 or so minutes)

After completing a mission, I decided to Transwarp back to ESD. I sat on the same loading screen for 2 hours, which finally froze at 97.36. Thinking it might've ben a game crash, or patching issue, I closed the game, and changed the launcher settings to disable on demand patching. This caused the launcher to patch the entire game all at once before allowing me to launch.

After the completed patching, I launched the game and loaded up my character. who happened to be located at ESD. Now i'm sitting something like an hour and half later STILL waiting for ESD to load so I can get OUT of the map... How is this game worth playing if areas take hours to load?

NOTES:
    1. Old patch files are not an issue since this is actually a new install. Reinstalled my operating system, drivers, and this game. Installation files are verified as being correct.
    2. No hard disk errors, or heavy disk fragmentation are present.
    3. This is not a connection issue. I have cable high speed internet. None of my other computers have any speed/lag issues.
    4. This is specific only to this game. I play other PWE games and never have any long loading times like this. Longest load time in any other game I play is no more than 60 seconds.

EDIT 1. On this try, it's been sitting at 93.92 for the last half hour.

EDIT 2. After waiting more than 2 hours on the ESD loading screen, I was rewarded with another screen that says I was disconnected from the server.
    edited May 2012
    Don't count on anything being done about this. It has been an issue for the last year or so. It goes and comes back with no word from Devs/GM. At least not to my requests for support/information.

Either way it's been here for a long time and it will be here for a long time to come. Especially when they have cash generating schemes to play with.

Yes, I'm bitter about it.
    edited May 2012
    Sadly, the problem is that ESD is suffering from an incredible overflow of players for various reasons, including it being the focal point for early gameplay, having a club(?), hosting various Q-related events from time to time, and so forth.
    edited May 2012
    dalolorn wrote:
    Sadly, the problem is that ESD is suffering from an incredible overflow of players for various reasons, including it being the focal point for early gameplay, having a club(?), hosting various Q-related events from time to time, and so forth.

But it HANGS... if I force STO to quit and reload it, I get in instantly, all the time. If it was high traffic I would just hit the same queue, but I don't. Relogging get's me straight back in.
    edited May 2012
    I just tab out, answer an email, tab back in and it's usually ready for a click when I see it sitting there on the count.
    edited May 2012
    I've also noticed that hubs take quite a bit longer to load, but I usually put it down to more people being there.
    ...another time it took so long to load that it simply said "Press Any Key".
    I know ppl are gonna say "just goto another space station" but this happens when i login and throughout, plus Club 47 is my afk spot and for checking my doff assignments and such. I cant post anywhere else but here because im not a subscriber so im posting it here.

The "Press any key" thing happens when you alt-tab out, or go to another program, and it finishes loading while you're away.

Completely unrelated, but you check DOff assignments in other places too, right? Because some stuff is only available in certain sectors.
    edited June 2012
    destiny42 wrote: »
    Don't count on anything being done about this. It has been an issue for the last year or so. It goes and comes back with no word from Devs/GM. At least not to my requests for support/information.

Either way it's been here for a long time and it will be here for a long time to come. Especially when they have cash generating schemes to play with.

Yes, I'm bitter about it.

Hey Ive seen this before but how are u and other people are able to make pictures like that with ur ship or captain or both?:confused::confused::confused:
    edited June 2012
    borgster93 wrote:
    Hey Ive seen this before but how are u and other people are able to make pictures like that with ur ship or captain or both?:confused::confused::confused:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=249694 <-- about screenshots

Using those screens, use an image or vector editing program like Photoshop or MS Paint or Gimp or Inkscape.

Just thought I'd throw that out there before this thread was locked.

Edit: or maybe it won't be, since you've just barely escaped 30 days old :confused:
    edited June 2012
    When. Are, they, going, to, fix, ESD HANG ISSUE

- Not my PC, reinstalled iwndows and the game after a time and didnt help this particular issue
    - Not my hardware, stable as rock,
    - Not my connection, both without proxy and EU proxy no effect. No lag or latency problems on my side
    - Not the game or any inconsistency in the game files, tried repairing it before, and now reinstalled the whole game from scratch and downloaded.

- Its an STO issue and its DRIVING ME CRAZY. Constantly have to end the process because otherwise i'm waiting for 20 minutes before ESD is loaded? No thanks.

This will certainly drive people away from the game because i know its a game issue.
    edited June 2012
    Sorry to break it to you.. it's your issue, not the game. All other people seem to be able to load ESD in a reasonable time.

Try cutting the power to your router and modem for 10 minutes

think.. if it would be the server, everybody would have the same issue, since this is not the case it's either you, or somewhere on the way between you and the sserver. You can call your ISP and ask if they can change your routing
    edited June 2012
    While the problem isn't necessarily on your end (i.e. your computer)... in all fairness it doesn't seem to be on Cryptic's end either. Or at least, if it's a game client compatibility issue, the vast majority of players are unaffected by it. I certainly haven't been. There's a LOT of hardware between the outside of your house and the outside of Cryptic's HQ that could be causing problems.
    edited June 2012
    Garamor wrote:
    All other people seem to be able to load ESD in a reasonable time.

Sorry to break it to you but actually the hang issue is a common complaint. Been reported on all of the major hubs. Been discussed quite a few times here in the forums.

Examples:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=268575

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=248268

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=233294

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=264802

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=245883

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=235490

And many many more. That was just the first page of Google results when I went looking. I;ve experienced it quite often as well.

Anytime I head to one of those places, I just tab out and come back in a few minutes. Usually it's on the Press Any Key screen by then.

Hope this helps
    edited June 2012
    Garamor wrote:
    Sorry to break it to you.. it's your issue, not the game. All other people seem to be able to load ESD in a reasonable time.

:rolleyes:

Anyhow, yes ESD hangs on load -- mostly when during weekends when it's especially busy.

I just wrote it off as it being the "newbie zone" and therefore highly populated. I futz with other things on the computer -- forums, watch some youtube (two monitors FTW) or go get a snack and/or something to drink and it eventually comes around.
    edited June 2012
    For some reason, beaming to SFA and then beaming from there to ESD seems to work. But frankly, unless you need to get STF gear or turn in contraband (this is a cardassian space variant of the situation), go to Bajor.
    edited June 2012
    The "stuck at 95% loading ESD/DS9" issue happens to me and a friend often and as someone wrote before, if I shut down the game and log in again I get on ESD/DS9 straight away so I have a hard time believing it's a problem on the users end.

I would say it happens 1/3 of the time and sometimes it hangs for a minute or so and sometime it takes much longer, that's when I usually shut down the game and log in again. I really hope Cryptic can take a look at this because it's annoying as hell.
  • kerrilyn1kerrilyn1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I get this too, and several other people I know.

It is not a performance or network issue. I can normally load ESD in about 2.5 to 4.5 seconds, but other times it just gets to 95% and hangs for a random amount of time. It's maybe like 1 in 5 that it happens that way.

I actually think it's trying to connect you to an instance of ESD which is full, and you just queue up until someone leaves the zone.

That would explain why it happens frequently in places like EDS or DS9, and never isolated places without full instances.

Mog~
  • darkfader1988darkfader1988 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sadly this happened ever since Season 4/5 hit holodeck. And the funny thing is, Cryptic doesnt acknowledge this problem nor will they do anything to fix it cuz they are blind.

Seriously people will run away from this game because of 20 minute ESD loading times because it just basically hangs.
    MT - Sad Pandas
  • bannon3bannon3 Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    At least you can log in, since last weeks patch I can barely get into the game.
    In Space, Cryptic cant hear you scream!!!
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Sadly this happened ever since Season 4/5 hit holodeck. And the funny thing is, Cryptic doesnt acknowledge this problem nor will they do anything to fix it cuz they are blind.

Seriously people will run away from this game because of 20 minute ESD loading times because it just basically hangs.

So very true, it's incredibly annoying (especially when your doing "tour of the universe").

When it comes to DS9, I've actually started using the "second wave" mission as a way around it, since it has it's own nearly fully functional version of the DS9 map.

And no, it's not a performance issue. I've played this game pretty much since it came out and had no trouble, even back when it was super busy and had those supposedly resource draining ships that flew around outside the window. The problem only just started around season 4-5 and was even there on Tribble.

I have none of these problems in other more resource intensive games and my internet connection is really fast.

This is a problem on cryptics end, which given the amount of bugs in this game is hardly a surprise.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    bump 10 characters
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • azeus22azeus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i've been of it since December last year...logging in at that time only takes few minutes not even... but now i cant even log in into holodeck:mad:...keeps saying LOGGING IN, PLEASE WAIT , and this is going on for half an hour......come on seriously:(