test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Advanced STFs too hard?

Comments

• calford24calford24 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    After playing some normal STF's the past few days, and seeing people struggle even with this level, i've come to the realsiation that its not the difficulty level that is the issue here, but the lack of skill, co-ordination and understanding of game mechanics by the player base.

i'll point to another example, Voth Battlezone the V-Rex fights. You have a pop up window, a voice warning and a status bar under the mini map on screen, showing how that zone is doing. Yet you still get people in that zone ignoring the medics as the blue slowly turns to red and fail the zone.
    Is that down to difficulty or plain stupidity and ignorance ?

Sorry but the biggest issue with difficulty in this game is the players that play it.

Its about time people stood up and took responbility and acnowledged its their lack of skill not the difficulty of the game.

I find something in this game difficult. i assess the NPC's tactics and adjust my build and tweak it until that NPC is no longer a issue. Not keep using failed builds and tacts and keep running into a brick wall.

So people learn, adapt, adopt, new tactics and builds as you have that ability, the NPC is programmed to repeat and keep repeating the same coded tactics.

Example a borg cube will tractor you, fire a high yield plasma torpedo at you and drain shields. So do you go into the fight without countermeasures for this behaviour or do you equip the ness gear to deal with that ?

I completely agree with stonewbie. The objectives are not that clear. I've been grinding Voth zone for months now and in all the commotion I never realized there were medics to kill. It never says that anywhere. From what I see, most of the time someone else takes care of them. I've never been in a zone that failed so I never thought there was anything more than killing the V-Rex.

I also noticed when in the battle zone people post "Kill the medics" all the time with no context on what medics, so it meant nothing to me. I thought they were referring to the medics all around the battle zone.

Back to the other STF's do you really think a PuG of players that are not veterans of the game can figure out all the countless small details and mathematic equations with no instructions, clear objectives, or anyone explaining it to them. So what happens is that I get into an STF completely blind, don't know what to do, then people like you chew me out and I don't know why. That's not fun...

But I have been learning, and I have been beating Elite STF's until this update. I have a ship with good Reputation and fleet gear. I know some of the things that need to be done (Things that you can only find by reading forums) and I've tried to follow the instruction. the new Advanced STF's are built for DPS first and teamwork second. I have been in Pugs that were trying to do everything right and they are just simply overwhelmed and cant put out the DPS fast enough.

So don't you dare call people stupid when there is a CLEAR lack of instruction and objectives. Not everyone has been playing this game for years.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I will just avoid them until Cryptic smartens up and fixes them.

HAHA this actually made me laugh. Their idea of "fixing" the game is making it more grindy and less fun. STFs are working as intended. They aren't going to change any time soon.

I haven't done elites yet but the advanced are basically identical to the old ones. It's not that hard. The biggest issue with STFs (and what actually kills it for me) is that all anyone cares about are the optionals. If the optional is failed the team ragequits. I mean, COME ON. Optionals are NOT that important. They certainly aren't worth losing an STF over.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • clooney002clooney002 Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All it needs now is to have the mandatory objectives removed to make pugging viable again. Although Advanced Mirror is still impossible to pug, the rest seem fine except for the mandatories. One troll and its game over.
    edited November 2014
    daqhegh wrote: »
    HAHA this actually made me laugh. Their idea of "fixing" the game is making it more grindy and less fun. STFs are working as intended. They aren't going to change any time soon.

I haven't done elites yet but the advanced are basically identical to the old ones. It's not that hard. The biggest issue with STFs (and what actually kills it for me) is that all anyone cares about are the optionals. If the optional is failed the team ragequits. I mean, COME ON. Optionals are NOT that important. They certainly aren't worth losing an STF over.

the Advanced STF's I've played recently appear to require the "Optional" or you automatically fail the whole thing. Unless I'm missing something. Are you saying that we can fail an "optional" in an Advanced STF and still get a borg neural implant?
  • sjokruhlicasjokruhlica Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Advanced missions are for *gasp* advanced players. Maybe youre just not good enough. Stop trying to nerf everything down to your level. Try getting better maybe.
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    calford24 wrote: »
    the Advanced STF's I've played recently appear to require the "Optional" or you automatically fail the whole thing. Unless I'm missing something. Are you saying that we can fail an "optional" in an Advanced STF and still get a borg neural implant?

I haven't paid attention. But then it was always rare for a PUG to not do optionals in the first place. If they are required now, there should be some related verbiage in the mission. If not...why bother with them?
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Advanced missions are for *gasp* advanced players. Maybe youre just not good enough. Stop trying to nerf everything down to your level. Try getting better maybe.

hahaha, so funny; thx

where the vanity joined elitism.

you would say the same thing to a player new at level 50 and who want the assimilated console and the kcb; like you did when you were at level 50.

this was easy for us to grind all the stuff for the rep before DR, but now this is almost impossible for a new lvl 50 player to earn borg processors and this is wrose for those who use the ridiculous crafting system. how they can earn these mat if they can't finish the stfs?

exchange?

- argonite gas: the package -> more than 1 million ec
    - craylon gas: the package -> at least 500k ec
    - plekton particle: the package -> at least 400k ec

etc

if the advanced stfs are too easy for you --> elite stfs; and stop to be selfish
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    hahaha, so funny; thx

where the vanity joined elitism.

you would say the same thing to a player new at level 50 and who want the assimilated console and the kcb; like you did when you were at level 50.

this was easy for us to grind all the stuff for the rep before DR, but now this is almost impossible for a new lvl 50 player to earn borg processors and this is wrose for those who use the ridiculous crafting system. how they can earn:

- argonite gas: the package -> more than 1 million ec
    - craylon gas: the package -> at least 500k ec
    - plekton particle: the package -> at least 400k ec

etc

if the advanced stfs are too easy for you --> elite stfs; and stop to be selfish

you need to recheck the exchange, I cant speak for the others but craylon gas goes for just over 150k, bough tat least a dozen last night and its been going down since the last patch

try sorting in the r&d category and decending unit price
    edited November 2014

I'm sorry, but I do believe there are 3 levels of difficulty on the new STF's. The normal STFs are too easy for me, I haven't lost one yet. However, the "Advanced" STF's are a very stark difference in difficulty. And if it wasn't that big of a difference for so many people than *gasp* the forms wouldn't be blowing up like they are.

I have made significant investments of time and money into this game. I have spec'd my ship out to the best of my abilities and the Advanced STF's are a brick wall at the moment for almost every team I've been in.

I do not think its an absurd request that the Advanced STF's be beatable by PuGs with good gear and a good understanding of the game. And leave the ELITE STF's for folks like yourself sjokruhlica.

As a player who has made an significant investments of time and money getting Tier 6 ship, reputation gear and fleet gear, I think I have a right to express my frustrations. I may not be a veteran, and I don't expect to be able to beat an Elite STF, But I should not be beating my head against the wall as much as I am with Advanced.
  • tedgrodzkitedgrodzki Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you find the advanced STFs 'too hard' then you don't belong in them. I still see weak players in these queues ruining the chances for the rest of a team to succeed. This is why the PUG queues have all but vanished, any decent player does not want to run the risk of being on an ASTF team with a player doing less dps than a shuttle.

In an ideal world there would have been a pass/fail solo episode to unlock the stf's above a normal level. Separate the Wheat from the Chaff, problem solved. But this is being solved now through simple atrophy.

Just look at all the potential for dps in the game with mkXIV weapons, new specialty skills etc. and if you still can't find a way to make even the advanced stf's playable, Don't.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    As someone else stated so wonderfully yesterday.....

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20534211&postcount=5

People wanna snob it up in Elite mode, fine. Anyone getting snobby about Advanced though? Get over yourself.
  • rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Wrong, advanced is for people who want crafting mats.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tedgrodzki wrote: »

In an ideal world there would have been a pass/fail solo episode to unlock the stf's above a normal level. Separate the Wheat from the Chaff, problem solved. But this is being solved now through simple atrophy.

You know, this is a damn cool idea. To do it right would take a ton of work as there should be a number of scenarios: one for borg, undine, voth ground and space etc...

It can be marked as your training mission or something. Then repeat it for going from advanced to elite.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited November 2014
    tedgrodzki wrote: »
    If you find the advanced STFs 'too hard' then you don't belong in them. I still see weak players in these queues ruining the chances for the rest of a team to succeed. This is why the PUG queues have all but vanished, any decent player does not want to run the risk of being on an ASTF team with a player doing less dps than a shuttle.

Just look at all the potential for dps in the game with mkXIV weapons, new specialty skills etc. and if you still can't find a way to make even the advanced stf's playable, Don't.

Why don't you just stick with Elite. You fail to see the number of players that have a problem with this. The difficulty is creating a wall to players cutting a large portion off from end game content. You say "Don't play them" then I cut myself off from the whole reputation system. I just literally got all of my reputations to Tier 5 yesterday and today (With the exception of Delta) and I cannot get the BNPs to actually get the gear I've been grinding 4 months for.

Let me put it this way. over the past 4 months I Have spent $240 on this game and grinded the %&*! out of it to get higher level gear. Now, I've hit a wall, cannot continue with what I have, and am not having fun after just making that investment. I don't give two squats what you think I should do. I have every right to be upset that the investment I've made just stopped.

If you had just spend over $200 and grinded everyday to get to a certain level just to have everything changed to a point where you haven't seen any progression in days despite how hard you try, you would be upset too.

BTW the mkXIV weapons are advertised for ELIET not Advanced. so if you need mkXIV weapons for Advanced then the difficulty level is broken.
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Why don't you just stick with Elite. You fail to see the number of players that have a problem with this. The difficulty is creating a wall to players cutting a large portion off from end game content. You say "Don't play them" then I cut myself off from the whole reputation system. I just literally got all of my reputations to Tier 5 yesterday and today (With the exception of Delta) and I cannot get the BNPs to actually get the gear I've been grinding 4 months for.

Let me put it this way. over the past 4 months I Have spent $240 on this game and grinded the %&*! out of it to get higher level gear. Now, I've hit a wall, cannot continue with what I have, and am not having fun after just making that investment. I don't give two squats what you think I should do. I have every right to be upset that the investment I've made just stopped.

If you had just spend over $200 and grinded everyday to get to a certain level just to have everything changed to a point where you haven't seen any progression in days despite how hard you try, you would be upset too.

BTW the mkXIV weapons are advertised for ELIET not Advanced. so if you need mkXIV weapons for Advanced then the difficulty level is broken.

Yeah, there should be 2 types of players:

1. "I don't care about my competence level. What is DPS?"

2. "I can ROFLstomp everything in 2 seconds."

There's no room for anyone not in one of these two categories. :rolleyes:
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited November 2014

Which Elite queues? There are only half a dozen elite space queues and half of them are so bugged they are not completable.

Something else to consider, if you have spent so much money on upgrading your gear and are not seeing any progress; then maybe you are the problem.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Which Elite queues? There are only half a dozen elite space queues and half of them are so bugged they are not completable.

So get on the devs to make more and fix the ones the games has, instead of turning the advanced ques into an elite DPSers only land.
  • kang21804kang21804 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am trying to figure out the difference between the dfferent types of weapons, Tetryon vs Phaser vs Antiproton vs Poleron vs Plasma vs Disrupter vs whatever. Which is best I have no idea ..................
  • sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    hartzilla wrote: »
    So get on the devs to make more and fix the ones the games has, instead of turning the advanced ques into an elite DPSers only land.

lol.

Advanced queues can be completed with vendor trash gear by a fresh level 50 with no reputations.

if you can't compete with that then stick to normal till you can.
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lol.

Advanced queues can be completed with vendor trash gear by a fresh level 50 with no reputations.

lol, always the same post from you: self-important, selfish etc

do you stupid videos; and let the other players play the game like they want.

your elitism is just so ridiculous, and despairing.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    sinn74 wrote: »
    Yeah, there should be 2 types of players:

1. "I don't care about my competence level. What is DPS?"

2. "I can ROFLstomp everything in 2 seconds."

There's no room for anyone not in one of these two categories. :rolleyes:

whats sad is the more I read this thread the more I am starting to think this statement is actually true :(
  • scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If you do not have a desire to set your ships up to be functional...stick to normal!

If you have no desire to learn the tactics of the advanced stf...stick to normal!

Seek the information before ruining the PUG for the rest of your team and blame the DEVs for making these advanced queues too much for the average STO player!

Until then, be a team player or leave the advanced queues until you can contribute!
  • sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lol, always the same post from you: self-important, selfish etc

do you stupid videos; and let the other players play the game like they want.

your elitism is just so ridiculous, and despairing.

You can play how you want, but don't then be mad that you can't do "Advanced" or "Elite" content.

Why is this so insulting, or hard to understand? I have LOLbuilds that are fun to mess around with, but I don't complain that they can't do "Advanced" content.

Advanced
    ad·vanced
    adjective

1: far on in time or course <a man advanced in years>
    a : being beyond others in progress or ideas <tastes a bit too advanced for the times>
    b : being beyond the elementary or introductory <advanced chemistry>
    c : greatly developed beyond an initial stage <the most advanced scientific methods> <advanced weapons systems>
    d : much evolved from an early ancestral type <bees and other advanced insects> <advanced traits>
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I completely agree with stonewbie. The objectives are not that clear. I've been grinding Voth zone for months now and in all the commotion I never realized there were medics to kill. It never says that anywhere. From what I see, most of the time someone else takes care of them. I've never been in a zone that failed so I never thought there was anything more than killing the V-Rex.

I also noticed when in the battle zone people post "Kill the medics" all the time with no context on what medics, so it meant nothing to me. I thought they were referring to the medics all around the battle zone.

Back to the other STF's do you really think a PuG of players that are not veterans of the game can figure out all the countless small details and mathematic equations with no instructions, clear objectives, or anyone explaining it to them. So what happens is that I get into an STF completely blind, don't know what to do, then people like you chew me out and I don't know why. That's not fun...

But I have been learning, and I have been beating Elite STF's until this update. I have a ship with good Reputation and fleet gear. I know some of the things that need to be done (Things that you can only find by reading forums) and I've tried to follow the instruction. the new Advanced STF's are built for DPS first and teamwork second. I have been in Pugs that were trying to do everything right and they are just simply overwhelmed and cant put out the DPS fast enough.

So don't you dare call people stupid when there is a CLEAR lack of instruction and objectives. Not everyone has been playing this game for years.[/QUOTE

Sorry dude my point was people fail to use common sense and take responsibility whilst running these missions.
    I ran a KSN early where the optional failed because the 1 player who went the other side, didn't bother shooting probes and decided it was the other 4 team members fault the opt failed because we were all on the op side. If he had taken in his surroundings and looked where his team mates were then he would have known to shoot down the probes. Again common sense and a lack of communication and team work.

Regarding voth battlezone, Right at the start you'll hear the Voth have started stealing omega particles stop the voth engineers. Once the silos get to a certain point again a voice message, But the most unforgiving thing is the status bar that goes from blue to red.

I'm not calling the player base stupid, Ignorant, lazy yes, because i work with the public and trust me the public are lazy in their habits and want everything handed to them. Not have to earn it

I don;t expect someone who has run it once to understand it straight off. But this game is not rocket science, The Ai isn't exactly smart.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    lol.

Completeable yes, but not worth the boredom of having to take longer to kill the same dumb NPCs, and having a failure if someone has a brain TRIBBLE and blows a generator early.

Seriously when has tedium meant being more difficult.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited November 2014

You are a wonderful example why this game ist p2w: You need skill to play advanced and especially elite. You cant buy this. But with skill you can offset the "need" for gear easily, playing with mk xi and dashing though advanced.

Sorry dude my point was people fail to use common sense and take responsibility whilst running these missions.
    I ran a KSN early where the optional failed because the 1 player who went the other side, didn't bother shooting probes and decided it was the other 4 team members fault the opt failed because we were all on the op side. If he had taken in his surroundings and looked where his team mates were then he would have known to shoot down the probes. Again common sense and a lack of communication and team work.

• jtneatjtneat Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think its just a pure mess tbh, there are skills all over the place disguised under specializations, traits etc.
    There is something seriously wrong with one of my tactical characters. On normal he can pop a space mob in 1 volley but in advanced the ownership gets reversed, i need to take a serious look at that to see what's going on but theres no way im funneling anymore cash into the this FAIL.

What PvP there was is gone... BSG online puts this game to actual shame and that game runs open world IN A BROWSER.... in a friggin browser!

I don't know how anyone can mess it up so bad when there is a whole selection of movies, tv shows and novels in reference for support.
    And the bugs.. Oh My Days! i think if you were to hand this game to communist china you would get something epic handed back in 2 weeks with minimum of 3 bugs and a "noob" comment.

Just shut it down immediately and attempt a repair if not just for the bugs. But the way the server status is going on & off looks like some unhappy ppl are finally ddos`ing the server, or perhaps the bugs have finally cause a hardware fail.
    Since we're all morons and glitchers or exploiters.... lol its a sad day when references like that are made against any general player base.

Some kinda wars going on PvP style, capturing systems 1 by 1 to take over sectors between the factions would of already taken the edge off all the frustration. Ground wars going while space wars were in motion giving rise to an epic combat system. Mobs of people travelling in sector space from one system to the next.... but Nooooooo lets completely ruin everything until friggin thing crashes into a black hole and ppl get so frustrated they quit.

Goin back to BSG... this is pure fail. Mail me when the PvP situation gets a revamp and people can clash in mobs.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    wow citing BGO as a shining star? Some of those servers have maybe 10 people logged in at one time!

If you spend $10,000 you might have the 3rd best ship of the 10!!

Shoot them water asteroids - pew pew pew.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tedgrodzkitedgrodzki Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think the Advanced STFs are way too hard and don´t give enough rewards. Imagine a Player who got up to Lvl 50, isn´t i n a good fleet, and wants to get his hands on some MACO, Borg, Romulan, Counter Command or other Gear. He has to Play Advanced to get his hands on the Isomorphic Injections or Processors or whatever he needs to buy that Gear.

But you need to have good gear already to survive the Advanced missions or its no fun at all and not encouraging to play them again.

And i also propose to make Marks and other Rewards (said Processors, Injections, Cells) accountwide for those who don´t have an Accountbank for sponsordhip tokens.

One of my Character currently has about 150 Processors and 14000 Omega marks and had a lot more i used to get Dilithium. It would be nice if i could transfer some of those to other characters. It shouldn´t matter which character worked for it.

I stand corrected on my previous comments. I did not realize that a Veteran toon of 4 months who just finished many of its rep systems cannot compete in an advanced stf! This is an Outrage!

I am sure that after 4 months you have exhausted all avenues leading to your toons improvement. That $200 must have bought many an outfit.

I want your toon as a teammate on my next ISA for sure.

If you can't see how silly your comment is with your timeline stated, then perhaps you can have some solace in this fact. You may have proof that even in the 25th century, humanity is sending Chimps into space. At least with $200 they can be well dressed.
    edited November 2014
    lol.

I would love to see this. Why don't you go prove it and put it up on youtube. And prove that your whole team does the same.