Install Arc
Options

advanced queue enemy strength part two

13»

Comments

• Options
    xraiderv1xraiderv1 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    the spheres, the ruddy tac cube, those nanite spheres in particular need a nerf bat to the hp on their shields and hull.
    Murphy's laws:
    1- Murphy’s Law tells us that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    2- And anything that does go wrong will get progressively worse.
    3- And if you survive the first two laws it’s time to panic.
  • Options
    leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The elites were too tough for the ones complaining so now they want the scrubs out of advanced.
    I will admit this thought had crossed my mind! :mad:
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    the spheres, the ruddy tac cube, those nanite spheres in particular need a nerf bat to the hp on their shields and hull.

The spheres are a ******n nightmare.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    scbypwr wrote: »
    And they failed... advanced takes more than what 90% of the player base can do.

No.

It's more than what they do. It is not more than what they can do.

I'd like to think the average player is better than that. It's not that they're too stupid or ignorant to improve, but that they've merely become complacent and stagnant because the bar was set so low.
  • Options
    scbypwrscbypwr Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    No.

It's more than what they do. It is not more than what they can do.

I'd like to think the average player is better than that. It's not that they're too stupid or ignorant to improve, but that they've merely become complacent and stagnant because the bar was set so low.

If you look at what players are parsing matches for... the average player does less than 5k DPS. The average player does not want to improve what they have and in most cases will take offense to any suggestions to improve their DPS.

The average player from what these parsed STFs are reporting are doing less than 5k DPS and represent 90% of those that do STF queues. This is data that is being reported by players that are recording damage data during their events.

My own experience correlates well with what is being reported. The Advanced STF queues allow no room for others to carry these low DPS ships and thus forces a player to either waste time with pugs and accept a very low chance of success or seek out channels with players that can do the events.

I try to help those that want the help.. but most don't even care.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    scbypwr wrote: »
    I try to help those that want the help.. but most don't even care.

See, that's the thing. STO is the only MMO out of the MMOs I've played (GW1/2, WoW, Vindictus, AO, CO, NWN, PWI, RO, SoF, HG:L) where you can get into the endgame (pre-DR), gear up, and massacre everything without ever learning how to play well.

All those other games, even if you're in the best available gear, if you don't know your abilities, where/when to use them, and how to properly position yourself, you'd get wrecked at the endgame.

Pre-LoR I still remember STFs needing some semblance of tactics and coordination, but random PUGs pre-DR didn't even need to MRRMLL or 10% anymore, and just straight up blasted through everything.

So of course players didn't care about improving. They never needed to.

When you're feeling secure about your performance, you don't care about improving. Why do you need to run faster, why do you need to lift heavier, why do you need swim longer? You're already fast enough, strong enough, last long enough. This is what it means to get fat and complacent.

I think when we suddenly need to be faster, stronger, last longer, that's the measure of our character. Some may quit, some may whine, but - and perhaps I'm overly optimistic, or have too much faith in people - I believe most will step up to the challenge. They just need that push - always a little scary, a bit frustrating, and rather annoying - to get there. But they'll get there, because overcoming adversity is what humanity does.
  • Options
    crappynamerulescrappynamerules Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    darkjeff wrote: »
    See, that's the thing. STO is the only MMO out of the MMOs I've played (GW1/2, WoW, Vindictus, AO, CO, NWN, PWI, RO, SoF, HG:L) where you can get into the endgame (pre-DR), gear up, and massacre everything without ever learning how to play well.

All those other games, even if you're in the best available gear, if you don't know your abilities, where/when to use them, and how to properly position yourself, you'd get wrecked at the endgame.

Pre-LoR I still remember STFs needing some semblance of tactics and coordination, but random PUGs pre-DR didn't even need to MRRMLL or 10% anymore, and just straight up blasted through everything.

So of course players didn't care about improving. They never needed to.

When you're feeling secure about your performance, you don't care about improving. Why do you need to run faster, why do you need to lift heavier, why do you need swim longer? You're already fast enough, strong enough, last long enough. This is what it means to get fat and complacent.

I think when we suddenly need to be faster, stronger, last longer, that's the measure of our character. Some may quit, some may whine, but - and perhaps I'm overly optimistic, or have too much faith in people - I believe most will step up to the challenge. They just need that push - always a little scary, a bit frustrating, and rather annoying - to get there. But they'll get there, because overcoming adversity is what humanity does.

Here's the problem chief, those of us who remember those tactics, also remember trying to PUG when they were needed. It usually didn't work out, because if even one guy wasn't on board, he would probably break something and ruin the whole run. This is why they were tweaked. On average in PUGs, there will be at least that one guy, probably more. Advanced isn't supposed to be the super hard "premade only" difficulty, that was elite's job. I can only control how well I do, I can't reform the entire playerbase of the game just so I can run content.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here's the problem chief, those of us who remember those tactics, also remember trying to PUG when they were needed. It usually didn't work out, because if even one guy wasn't on board, he would probably break something and ruin the whole run. This is why they were tweaked. On average in PUGs, there will be at least that one guy, probably more. Advanced isn't supposed to be the super hard "premade only" difficulty, that was elite's job. I can only control how well I do, I can't reform the entire playerbase of the game just so I can run content.

Agreed!

/10char
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    edited October 2014

Makes me vaguely wish for Neverwinter's dungeon queuing system now, actually. There's actually a minimum gear score for each dungeon, which increases as the difficulty of the dungeon increases.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    and...still a bit too high on the hp in conduit advanced. needs a bit more work.

we want a challenge...not bullet sponge. the former is fun and engaging and has us coming back. the latter has us leaving and willingly taking the leaver penalty.
    Murphy's laws:
  • Options
    hausofmartokhausofmartok Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xraiderv1 wrote: »
    and...still a bit too high on the hp in conduit advanced. needs a bit more work.

we want a challenge...not bullet sponge. the former is fun and engaging and has us coming back. the latter has us leaving and willingly taking the leaver penalty.
    Maybe stick to normal? There are some players out there like myself with no issues with advanced as it was pre-patch.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    please reread my post. the point seems to have been missed by more than a few people.

challenge: fun
    bullet sponge: not fun, people willingly taking leaver penalty
    solution: adjust enemy hp a tiny bit more down and perfect.
    Murphy's laws:
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    glorthox wrote: »
    If Cryptic and Arcgames stays on this same path about just making things insanely hard, I hope they realize they are killing their player base. A majority of casual players refuse to run long or hard content. And when they can't run most of the STF's after the difficulty increase, most will just turn away from the game.

I myself am still trying to find the incentive to play the game. DR story rewards are TRIBBLE, everything costs Dilithium. Now the marks gained after the daily is TRIBBLE as well. Getting 500-750 marks in order to make rep gear is just take a ridiculously long time. If no one is running the advanced or elite STF's, then how can people complete stuff?

In all honesty, this game was fine the way it used to be. All Stf's had plenty of people running them, now its a ghost town. The game needs more incentive to play, without it, more people will turn away.

Huh? Will the Borg one is insanely easy at advance.
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Certainly an improvement and the closest its felt to the old Elite. It was enough of a challenge for everyone I pugged with today, exciting and didn't stray into taking forever and risking a boredom induced coma.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just ran ISA with PUG and we succeeded with flying colors.

The Enemies still have quite a bit of HP, it takes a bit longer then I prefer, but it's MUCH better.

As long as everyone targets the Transformer once the Generators are destroyed you can easily DPS it down before the Spheres get there.

Overall, it's a very large step in the right direction. At least now it's enjoyable. It was also easy to find a group, people were actually playing it again.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    trezlanlorentinotrezlanlorentino Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just ran ISA with PUG and we succeeded with flying colors.

The Enemies still have quite a bit of HP, it takes a bit longer then I prefer, but it's MUCH better.

As long as everyone targets the Transformer once the Generators are destroyed you can easily DPS it down before the Spheres get there.

Overall, it's a very large step in the right direction. At least now it's enjoyable. It was also easy to find a group, people were actually playing it again.

Good to hear! Were you level 60? I'm just wondering because my current cap is only 56 and I'm wondering if I should even risk trying advanced until I cap?
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Good to hear! Were you level 60? I'm just wondering because my current cap is only 56 and I'm wondering if I should even risk trying advanced until I cap?

Level 58 Engineer. Scimitar Warbird pretty high end gear. Nothing epic, but a lot of Mk XIII and Mk XIV.

But my party was a mix, one guy was level 54 not sure about the rest.

There was one player that blew up several times, but it didn't cause us to fail. As long as he kept trying, we were ok.

If that group had tried prior to today we would have failed for sure.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    trezlanlorentinotrezlanlorentino Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Cool thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot tonight.
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've just tried mirror advanced and disconnected and my ship kicks out about 12k damage but it's still meh and failed within 5 mins

Its just not fun tbh I'm not one for moaning but the new levels are taking the fun outta the game tbh

I'm not saying pew pew pew dead kinda thing I just would like to be able to kill something before I get mobbed to death.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thought I'd give MIA a go again after the patch. Bad idea. Actually, perhaps not. If I'd had a more tanky build my efforts to kite the entire map away from the station might have succeeded. It was actually quite amusing to watch 50+ ships chasing after me outside of 10km, but I got hit by too many torpedo spreads trying to induct new Terran followers into my cult and died, and they all immediately shifted focus to the station and killed it in the blink of an eye. The rest of the PUG wasn't coordinated enough to get all of the rifts closed and they weren't healing the station. I think if I hadn't suffered an unfortunate explosive decompression I might have been able to hold aggro long enough for us to run out the clock until the boss showed up.

After that I ran a KSA that was a success but there was definitely a sense of apprehension during the entire run and it felt like, without getting a lucky roll of the dice on who is on your team, Advanced still isn't safe to PUG, which is a shame because my fleet isn't interested in running Advanced anymore. We had two people parsing that run, myself and one of the PUGs. I went right by myself and handled probes and softening up the other targets while the rest of the team went left. The team parsed at 21, 13.4, 9.3, 8.1, and 5.9k DPS.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    originalshakkaroriginalshakkar Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think the real issue is that advanced is offered as a quick play pug and the difficulty is out of bounds for such a setup. Only fools will pug an advanced right now, or someone who likes failure. But most people who enter advanced will have done so through the queue. Either make advanced and elite private queue only or change the difficulty to take account for queues. Personally I think we've given way too much leeway with the devs already; it's like everybody surrendered on elite mode being only for 1% of the players just to try to beg for a decently playable advanced. But the whole thing stinks. Either they want to make elite a place for whales to spend thousands of dollars a year just to play the thing, or they plan to create so much more power in the form of new specs that eventually this will be trivial too. But it's not good for the players at this time, no matter what reasoning they have.

Right now I went from easily being powered enough for elite stfs, to now I don't dare show up at an advanced if I want to come through with marks. Being sent back to normal mode when I have upgraded gear is upsetting to say the least. Because even if I have enough power for advanced (dubious) I have no way to know the other four do too. So the queue is dead for advanced to me. It should be to anyone else too. Cryptic is to blame, and they are the only solution.

So I'll just go back to smoking normal mode mobs like a new player until Cryptic does what they should have done two weeks ago.
    I used to be Shakkar with thousands of posts. My very identity was stolen from me so now I am originalshakkar, the original.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I've said it before..I'll say it again. dial the space npc health down a bit.

this is the formula for success:
    advanced that has challenge to it-fun

this is the formula for failure:
    advanced with bullet sponge space npcs.

people are willingly taking leaver penalties in the advanced queues. this should say something.
    Murphy's laws:
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    1. Advanced is not supposed to be "safe." That's kind of the whole point.
    2. If Advanced difficulty is out of bounds for you, play Normal.
    3. It's not the Advanced players' fault if you're not an Advanced player.
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    warpangel wrote: »
    1. Advanced is not supposed to be "safe." That's kind of the whole point.
    3. It's not the Advanced players' fault if you're not an Advanced player.

Sure...everybody will 100% ignore advanced just for you. You'll have it all to your lonesome self. Just give "Normal" the rewards we need to get by in this game. Otherwise GTFO.
  • Options
    tuvix1911tuvix1911 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    warpangel wrote: »

Absolutely! If you're not geared for Advanced, you simply need to play Normal to get those Advanced/Elite-only rep item drops so you can gear up to play Advanced.

Dude... wait, what?
  • Options
    donowickdonowick Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    You know it is funny that people keep treating advance as elite. But it is not suppose to be and they forget they were told advance was going to be like old elite. Well it is not and when was old elite level 60 LOL. They did not give us elite on some queues so it looks like they made advance level 60 but it unlocked at level 50. Does that make sense? Not to me seeing the elite content unlocked at 60. So to me they need to change advance so it does not scale to 60 seeing it is not elite content in the first place.

So you all think about it ( if advance is elite why did it unlock at level 50?) :)
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tuvix1911 wrote: »
    Absolutely! If you're not geared for Advanced, you simply need to play Normal to get those Advanced/Elite-only rep item drops so you can gear up to play Advanced.

Dude... wait, what?
    As has been pointed out in numerous threads, you do not need BNP/APC items do to Advanced queues. The vast majority of Rep and Fleet gear does not require BNPs/APCs and is more then sufficient to do an Advanced queue.

You use Normal to learn your tactics then move up to Advanced to start collecting your wanted drops - all while using gear gotten from Rep, Drops, and Fleet.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    genemorphgenemorph Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have upgraded gear (XIV), 2 T5-Us and 2 T6 ships and I know how to fly. The only advanced stfs that are puggable are Conduit and Cure (sometimes). Anyone thinking that better gear is the answer is wrong. I'm guessing that even pre-made teams have trouble completing most of these other stfs.

To feel like you are progressing at a good rate you need to be objectives focused and try not to tangle too much with the mobs, or have +20K dps. I can manage 13-15K tops. So I've gone from the king of the old elites to being a noob in the new advanced using some of the so-called best gear in the game + a lot of specialization tree skills.