Install Arc
Options

Restoring Specialization Points

Comments

• Options
    c3141pwac3141pwa Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What about XP leveling?

The fact of the matter that the game still remains unplayable for most. Not speaking for anyone but myself but the game is "unplayable" as is. Will XP leveling revert back to 10/22?.

Great that the exploiters got their points back but due to that ALL the playerbase got pusnish with the BIGGEST NERF EVER!

Still feels as if the exploiters won and the rest of US got kick in our arses...way to go Cryptic

XP Leveling is fine. I got from 50-60 in 2 and a half weeks simply by playing the game and making no effort to "grind" or "power level".

If you think this is bad, you would have hated the original Everquest. THAT was a grind; this is a minor bump in the road.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    askray wrote: »
    Actually, compared to a few other communities I follow about STO the forums were actually lightly on fire lol.

Heh...

Too bad somebody decided to get out the 'Pumper-truck with the High-Pressure Firehose' instead of the garden one from the side of the building.

:P
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    unsacredgraveunsacredgrave Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not easy sometimes to admit a mistake. Im glad dAngelo and the Team had the balls for this decission. Peace is restored. Thank you.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    While this wasn't even the reason I personally was raging, I must say that I am impressed by the fact that you came out and apologized and even took ownership of the root bug. Yes, very impressed.

Thank You.

Oh yeah um...sorry for calling you a t**twaffle.
  • Options
    wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    As people mentioned already you are apologizing for the wrong reasons here but that doesnt really matter. You admitted you did wrong thing and corrected it. Thats the first step in the right direction since release of DR.
  • Options
    alexstoryalexstory Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thank you for listening to us players. I for one hope this is but a first step in the right direction in opening better communication.

Now I'm off to go enjoy the game you make for us.

@A_X
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is a surprising turn of events, but a welcome surprise.

I did think and still do think this was a bad call on Cryptic's part. Players should not be held liable for mistakes or negligence on Cryptic's side of things.

I think this should be taken as a wake-up call to Cryptic that a better relationship between QA, Devs, and the Producers should be sought, a complete overhaul of your testing process (both internal and external) needed, which results in better builds released to holodeck.

While I could neither prove nor disprove accusations made on the forums of error on Cryptic's part in removing spec points, I do have to give a nod of respect to Mr. D'Angelo for being willing to admit fault, and putting the speculation to rest that some of these accusations had merit to them.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Okay, Bravo on rectifying this issue !
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    potencethe1stpotencethe1st Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thank you Stephen.

I will immediately cease and desist any negative posting and return to my regular posting on builds and fun.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    suiksagasuiksaga Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thank you.
  • Options
    ralphgraphiteralphgraphite Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Thank You for the update. I was not personally affected, as I've only gotten my main up to level 55 since DR dropped (nor have I encountered story content yet that I cannot run due to my level or pre-existing gear, queues...are another matter). While I wasn't impacted, I sympathize with those who have invested way more time at playing than I have.

Clear communication with us in the forums is one of the bigger complaints I've been seeing over the past few weeks, so this is a step in the right direction. :)
  • Options
    jarfarujarfaru Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Rewarding the cheaters to shut them up.

GG Cryptic

Lol yup this is joke. So now all cheaters need to do is rage on the boards.
  • Options
    straden0straden0 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    Rewarding the cheaters to shut them up.

GG Cryptic

A lot of players played outside of the powerlevel trip and got their point, but some people have almost or literally maxed out spec trees using the system.

I thought when I read this that yeah, they restored those players who did it the other way and were knocked down by the hammer. But everyone, including those with 20+ spec points got them..

Now of course, I read people saying "Glad you admitted you were wrong."

I'd like to see some of those people who reamed that bug out completely and maxed out their specs to get up and say "Yeah, I knowingly exposed a glitch that enabled me to min/max. I'll own up to that."

But of course they wont. I'm not saying neither party is right or wrong,I didnt agree with but I respected D'Angelo's initial decision, because they felt that was what had to be done AND told anyone who felt mistreated to report it and they would restore it.

I for one, did go that route and leveled so that I could do all missions seamlessly, and I knew damn well what I was doing and knew it was something of a matter of time before they patched it out. Did they accuse players of exploiting? Yes, are they right? I think to some extent, take all the definitions of an exploit you want, but while screaming through to max level in 2-3 hours is fun, the exhilaration came from the fact that you were doing something you knew they'd frown upon.

So yes, GG. To the players that legit went to the ticket system, were compensated and worked hard for their points. To those who literally have nothing to do or push to because they are maxed out at everything, good luck to you.
  • Options
    waffadeuce1waffadeuce1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    /RP *Rides into thread on white charger wearing fabulous fanboi cape*

Wait just a second, you idiots, why do you even bother posting? The devs don't read the forums... nobody cares! So just stop making these I quit.... wait wut? :eek:

Ooopsie... meant to say NOW WE"RE LIVING THE DREAM.. GG CRYPTIC!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StTqXEQ2l-Y

/RP

Kill Feddie.

Waff
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    A step in the right direction indeed but, there are many other issues that need to be addressed.

>four and a half minutes later<

Heh...

Baby steps... baby steps...

"Put One Foot In Front of the Other..."

:cool:
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wow I guess the drop in game population was well beyond what your bean counters thought it would be...

btw I am firmly in the camp that there was never an exploit or bug in the xp rewards in elite post DR.

Pre-DR - if Mob-A in normal had 1000 HP and gave 100 XP, in elite that same Mob-A had 2000 HP and gave 175 XP.

After DR - in Elite the Mob-A was boosted up to roughly 5.8X and the XP awarded was 5X.

It was a NATURAL progression or ROI for the difficulty being upgraded.

You guys just didnt like the speed at which folks leveled on Elite in DR. Labeled it an Exploit and then started this whole ruckus.

Should of just said the XP is being revised due to how XP is being gained not matching how you feel it should be and will revisit it as time passes as the game/expansion matures over time.

The expan just came out... just own up and say it was an oversight and error on development and apologize for the change after release.

That said... with the introduction of 60 more levels to fill for all the spec points... the xp awarded is not enough. You seriously need to remove the xp reduction for killing mobs below your level. If I go to a low level zone like Nimbus, I am already playing at a lower level... I should be earning XP as if I was at level in that zone. If you want to put in a reduction ok... but not nerf it to 0. Ground on Defera is giving 0 XP... you need to fix this and undo your "fix".
  • Options
    grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Whoever was right or wrong, at this point doesn't matter. No one was punished, everyone learned something (I think, I hope...whatever that might have been), let's move on and let the healing process start.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Wow! Just wow!

It takes a great man to not dig in, but admit the mistake! Bravo!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    smoketh2 wrote: »
    It takes a big person to admit they were wrong.

Thank you for correcting this and taking the time to issue an apology!

He said everything.
  • Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    What I don't understand is: you say that there were only around 300 players that took advantage of this 'exploit', then why were far more punished? There must be a discrepancy in either what you said, or what has been done in, more or less, retribution against these players.
    In the process of reviewing each person’s ticket, we did indeed find that there were a few customers who did not take advantage of the power-leveling bug and yet had Specialization Points removed. There were also a few who managed to use the bug and were not penalized.
    There were a ton of players that were punished. You said there were only a few hundred who took advantage of this 'exploit'. Now you say that of the tons who were punished, only a few didn't take advantage of this 'exploit'?
  • Options
    dweezemandweezeman Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    However, since the conditions in the game used to gain some of these points no longer exist, the lesson for all is EXPLOIT EARLY AND OFTEN.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    What I don't understand is: you say that there were only around 300 players that took advantage of this 'exploit', then why were far more punished? There must be a discrepancy in either what you said, or what has been done in, more or less, retribution against these players.

There were a ton of players that were punished. You said there were only a few hundred who took advantage of this 'exploit'. Now you say that of the tons who didn't, only a few didn't take advantage of this 'exploit'?

Don't Look a Gift-Horse in the Mouth...

It usually ends with a lasting memory of foul smelling breath.

:cool:
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lystent wrote: »
    There were a ton of players that were punished. You said there were only a few hundred who took advantage of this 'exploit'. Now you say that of the tons who were punished, only a few didn't take advantage of this 'exploit'?

There's a time and a place for everything. Sometimes you need to continue, sometimes you just need to say "Thank you!" I believe the latter is one of these moments.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    chrishellmax2363chrishellmax2363 Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well done mate. Not too shabby on both sides. i didnt get part of the whole mess , but i believe some feathers where ruffled.

Lets all get back to grinding now.. chop chop..
    Whether you think you are right or wrong, either way you are RIGHT.
  • Options
    xceptionalzeroxceptionalzero Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Glad the exploiters complained enough to get their ill gotten gains back.
  • Options
    solspotsolspot Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Now if all thw Cryptic white knights would come in and apologize for calling people exploiters unjustly the community might start healing itself.

Never going to happen.

Too little too late?
  • Options
    tavia12tavia12 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have been getting a Number Countdown, top left of my screen since of today Oct.31,2014
    It only appears in game and counts up and down very fast. I know of one other player who gets this as well.

I have not changed any of my settings in game, don't have a special program for screenshots.
    If you prefer that I send you a screenshot of this I can.

Thank you for your time
    @tavia12
  • Options
    omegasprimeomegasprime Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I am happy that they are restoring people's specialization point, but they should have never tried to take them away in the first place. The problem causing the issue should have just been fixed. In all honesty the issue should have been fixed on Tribble before DR went live on the Holodeck.

D'Angelo you need to work on your apology skills.
    AKA Primus01, Lifetime member since January 16, 2010
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel Core i7-5700
    RAM 32 GB
    2 Titan GTX 980M GDDR5 8 GB