Options

Restoring Specialization Points

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    To which I call BS, the fact is nobody is looking to "cheat" and whether it is this or the Voth ground zone or any of several other areas, players are going to look for anyplace that is going to give them the best chances of getting ahead while feeling the least like hamsters running in a wheel desperately trying to reach a stale peace of cheese, anyone who says they aren't doing this is not being honest, but if they can't own up to that, the very least they can do is not be hypocrites pointing fingers at others. Every time I see someone posting "the cheaters got away with it" it disgusts me, because Cryptic in their infinite stupidity have driven a wedge in the community that some people just refuse to let go of in spite of the fact that they themselves are probably doing things that might not bear close scrutiny.

errm i was quoting you and you said "everyone has skeletons in their closet" :) I didnt say it you did I was just pointing out.

I play fps as well and you aint seen nothing till you have seen the crud that happens in a multiplayer fps just so a guy can win lol. Still doesnt make it right. Gaming is basically a wild west mentality. Its fine, but I wont ever be agreeing with what I see.

I really dont care if people get punished or not, but no.. I have no skeletons in my closet although I am sorely tempted right now to put some in there but I probably wont cause I have fun as things are now..

:P
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People here crying foul claiming that "the cheaters got away with it" need to just get off the high horse, every one of you have your own skeletons hidden away in the closet and you know it, all this indignation is just way too hypocritical.
    I didn'T have much time to "exploit" this bug, but I think I benefitted from it. But I wouldn't have cried if my specialization points had been taken away. That is just part of the risk of doing something questionable - sometimes you don't go unnoticed.

I suppose this was however still the better choice for Cryptic, giving all the anger they generated. Though the real problem will not be that they gave spec points back - the real problem is the changes to the skill point rewards, and that is not going away just because a minority of players got their spec points back. But if it fans the flames and generates sales...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Tis a good first move, and I do applaud the effort and intent of a public apology on this matter. Hopefully this is the beginning of a conversation that ends with the other player concerns relating to DR getting addressed.

I will be very interested to see what happens in the next week or so.
    I concur.... :)
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    cers001cers001 Member Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    daveyny wrote: »
    Please STOP making stuff up to try and prove a point your attempting to make.

On that issue, I was misinformed, the last I herd was it was up in Febuary So I apolagise for that, I was unware of Captain Smirks post and thank you for correcting me and I was not and would never make things up
    CVN-65 U.S.S. Enterprise - A ship so badass it survived John McCain.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Guys, you do realise, that stephendangelo may have been forced by the higher ups in pwe to formally state an apology to the playerbase as damage control?

...and what an half-arsed apology that is...."we have decided that rather than doing another round of corrections a week after the problem event, that we will restore the points to all characters that had them removed"

He isn't apologizing out of the good of his heart! Someone with an eye on the ever-deminishing money logistics obviously got Dangelo to apologize in the hopes that more people don't leave star trek online and uninstall the game.

Yeah, we get it. So?! They saw the error of their ways, and rectified the situation. That's all that matters. PWE has obviously seen the dead queues too. That is their, and OUR, greatest concern: if come next week they don't have a game any more, nor do we. Although I never expect them to admit it in public, of course, the exodus is nonetheless troublesome.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Whatever the reasons we need to look past this and concentrate on the underlying problems that caused this in the first place, along with DR came a round of massive changes that have sucked the fun out of the game, this whole drama with spec points was just the cherry on top and the reason why those who lost points were so angry.
    They may have returned the points but that doesn't fix everything else that is still broken, xp nerfs, rewards dropped, npc shield and hp boosted to drag out encounters without any improvement in AI and areas of gameplay replaced with repetitive grind with obvious paygate shortcuts, all sending the clear message that STO is intensifying it's focus on monetization, while offering as little of value in the exchange as possible, people are not stupid and they aren't going to react well to anyone treating them like they are, that is the real reason people have left and are going to continue leaving and until Cryptic addresses that these little PR stunts are meaningless.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Whatever the reasons we need to look past this and concentrate on the underlying problems that caused this in the first place, along with DR came a round of massive changes that have sucked the fun out of the game, this whole drama with spec points was just the cherry on top and the reason why those who lost points were so angry.
    They may have returned the points but that doesn't fix everything else that is still broken, xp nerfs, rewards dropped, npc shield and hp boosted to drag out encounters without any improvement in AI and areas of gameplay replaced with repetitive grind with obvious paygate shortcuts, all sending the clear message that STO is intensifying it's focus on monetization, while offering as little of value in the exchange as possible, people are not stupid and they aren't going to react well to anyone treating them like they are, that is the real reason people have left and are going to continue leaving and until Cryptic addresses that these little PR stunts are meaningless.

Nicely put. :)

I hope the apology is put in the next email to all registered members so at least those who left know the situation has changed. Frankly this thread should be pinned so everyone see it and can inform others especially those in the gaming media.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I find really interesting how some people keep bring up the subject about customer service.

Big words have been thrown around, metrics, churn rate, etc.

I bet that sooner rather then later someone at PWE will come up with a simple math formula to determine which customers are worth keeping, and other customers are worth cutting ties with.

Keep that in mind while you keep fanning forum flames.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well they aren't punishing me because I haven't been playing the game since DR launched, I've logged in, checked my different toons and saw what they didn't fix, shook my head in disgust and logged out.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well they aren't punishing me because I haven't been playing the game since DR launched, I've logged in, checked my different toons and saw what they didn't fix, shook my head in disgust and logged out.

The sum of it there is a war its Space Snakes vs Space Zombies and you get caught in the middle. Once you realize how caught up in this you are... You then become to realize you are in this huge grind not only a new rep grind but a triple edged xp sword edge grind. You must level each ship, character, and a new specialization system per character which not only costs an enormous amount of resources either be it dilithium or zen but also time and they went over board with this and the rewards for them aren't even that great.

So in all remember the Delta Quadrant is requiring you to xp each of your characters, each of your characters ships, level each of their specializations, and finally get that old rep you've been dying to grind for! I guess most players who could never agree on things I bet you they all agree that they don't like this rofl.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Belated I know, and while none of this affected me personally-I didn't even discover the Tau Dewa "exploit" under after the sector was shut down...

Thank you for the apology and restoration of points. Its appreciated.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited November 2014

* You don't ever, EVER call players morons (a dev on the forum actually said that this week) as players are your customers

Wait, who called players morons? Where?
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    An apology isn't going to fix the problem of the missions not rewarding enough points. Please, put the points back!

They removed the entire pve endgame contend with former elite mode and replaced it with something that can hardly be enjoyed by a lot.

Its really puzzling. I play STO’s endgame for 2,5 years now and had so much XP at my disposal without realising it that could have build fleet bases ally by myself. If they had left endgame as enjoyable as it was I doubt anybody would have been in the “need” to get skill points fast in the first place.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ok, geez. The guy posts an apology AND restores all the specialization points they took away, INCLUDING the people who exploited it and got the whole thing started...

And that's not good enough? Wonder why we have a problem with the forums?

I'm not going to close the thread just yet.

Please do not post off-topic (this thread is about the restoration of specialization points), or indulge in baseless speculation about why they restored the points, or rant about anything else in general.

It's customary to respond to an apology with "Thank you" or "I accept your apology". If you can't bring yourself to be at least that polite, there's nothing wrong with keeping your silence.

Let's stop burning the bridges, eh? Responses from here on out may be moderated.

Says the volunteer player-moderator, lest someone blame my annoyed response on Cryptic.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for the apology, that's the first step.

Next step is to correct the mess currently referred to as WAI leveling, AKA bloody boring grinding for TRIBBLE all return.

Then I may consider playing again. Basically a massive overhaul of the Dil costs and Reward vs Time for all current Queue's, missions and patrols is needed. No carrot, no point in playing, no point in having 9 T6 ships if I can't afford to outfit a single damn one before 2017...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Getting back 4 out of 12+ points makes me less than 1/3 happy. So I guess a little under a third of a thanks, is in order. Would not like to appear unreasonable or something.
  • Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Ok, geez. The guy posts an apology AND restores all the specialization points they took away, INCLUDING the people who exploited it and got the whole thing started...

And that's not good enough? Wonder why we have a problem with the forums?

I'm not going to close the thread just yet.

Please do not post off-topic (this thread is about the restoration of specialization points), or indulge in baseless speculation about why they restored the points, or rant about anything else in general.

It's customary to respond to an apology with "Thank you" or "I accept your apology". If you can't bring yourself to be at least that polite, there's nothing wrong with keeping your silence.

Let's stop burning the bridges, eh? Responses from here on out may be moderated.

Says the volunteer player-moderator, lest someone blame my annoyed response on Cryptic.

Don't think that I don't get what you're saying, but I for one am not going to say "Thank you" for the guy rectifying something that affected a lot of people including myself who did nothing wrong.

With that, AFAIC it's bygones.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    rsoblivion wrote: »
    Thanks for the apology, that's the first step.

Next step is to correct the mess currently referred to as WAI leveling, AKA bloody boring grinding for TRIBBLE all return.

Then I may consider playing again. Basically a massive overhaul of the Dil costs and Reward vs Time for all current Queue's, missions and patrols is needed. No carrot, no point in playing, no point in having 9 T6 ships if I can't afford to outfit a single damn one before 2017...

Spot On.

Step 1 Fix XP
    Step 2 Fix reward/level of effort
    Step 3 Fix Dil Cost to incorporate more "Alt Friendliness"
    Step 4 Fix Advanced STF's
    Step 5 Profit from all of it.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cruzist wrote: »
    Don't think that I don't get what you're saying, but I for one am not going to say "Thank you" for the guy rectifying something that affected a lot of people including myself who did nothing wrong.

With that, AFAIC it's bygones.

Fair enough.

I'm not trying to shove an unfelt expression of gratitude down anybody's throats, or downplay the reality that mistakes were made. I'm perfectly fine with a neutral acceptance that ends the ranting in this thread.

Trying to walk a fine line between not censoring the frustration of Cryptic's customers, potentially leading to improvements in service, and moderating the kind of toxic incivility that goes against forum rules and makes this place a cesspool.

Fact is, the initial response probably would have been reasonable if they had been able to accurately target the people who were abusing the situation. The real mistake was failing to do that. Deciding to avoid making further mistakes and rolling back to the best of their ability was probably the right call... even though that means that a few people are out there way ahead of everybody else and catching up is going to be difficult.

I don't PvP, so it's no skin off my nose either way. I don't have to play catch up.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek