test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

more unfair pay to play advantages

locutusofjoshlocutusofjosh Member Posts: 24 Arc User
is it my understanding that pay to play people get more unfair advantage over free play people with new update?
Post edited by locutusofjosh on

Comments

• Options
    trekkietravistrekkietravis Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    is it my understanding that pay to play people get more unfair advantage over free play people with new update?

No more of an advantage now than before...also no different from any other game with a cash store.
  • Options
    shantavishantavi Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited October 2014

No. Someone who pays can get something right away where people who don't have to invest time to earn the same thing. STO's model is 'pay to be lazy', not 'pay to win'.

"Back on topic. Destinii is correct."

(Formerly Destinii until the 'Great PWE Forum Shakeup of 2012')
  • Options
    chainfallchainfall Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is my understanding that pay to play people get less unfair advantages over froobs with every update. Which is pretty much backwards for PWE.
    STO would have been better as a Stargate MMO than it is as Star Trek. Go figure.

~Karona@Sobekeus
    Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier Exterminatus
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My understanding is that people who contribute money to keep the game running get some stuff for it.
  • Options
    ermanameermaname Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Actually, latest news leads us to believe that LTS people are being treated pretty badly... they get playable Talaxians *shudders* I know they aren't mandatory, but still, Talaxians? :eek:
  • Options
    nightchills2nightchills2 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Very mush so
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I never had any problems with pay to play advantages and made regular use of them as I saw fit.

I would like to do so now as well but can’t see any benefits because I would still need something to play at all.

There were multiple fleetmates coming on yesterday in the hope that Thursday's patch would have done something.

Common question was: “Did they fix the STF?”

At least I was able to point them at mirror…. Normal.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    My understanding is that people who contribute money to keep the game running get some stuff for it.
    then if its less and less they see the imbalance
  • Options
    paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Nothing you can't earn without spending money. The only thing to debate is how that balance is and how long it takes. Too short a time and everyone leaves from boredom, too long a time and people feel pay to win.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ermaname wrote: »
    Actually, latest news leads us to believe that LTS people are being treated pretty badly... they get playable Talaxians *shudders* I know they aren't mandatory, but still, Talaxians? :eek:
    the latest update goes beyond that
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    then if its less and less they see the imbalance

Sorry, I don't get what you are saying?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    paareth wrote: »
    Nothing you can't earn without spending money. The only thing to debate is how that balance is and how long it takes. Too short a time and everyone leaves from boredom, too long a time and people feel pay to win.
    but if its unreachable and undoable how do u do it as free person its like fighting with one hand vs some one with 2
  • Options
    paarethpaareth Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    but if its unreachable and undoable how do u do it as free person its like fighting with one hand vs some one with 2

Like what? What is unreachable?
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Paid players do not receive any additional bonuses that benefit them unfairly when up against F2P players...

Pretty much everything is Quality of Life stuff that makes aspects of the game more convenient, without creating a power imbalance...

If you don't wanna cough up cash, you just have to work a little harder to get the same result... Seems fair to me...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    jockey1979jockey1979 Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    paareth wrote: »
    Like what? What is unreachable?

Playable Talaxian
    Playable Borg
    Vet Ships (3 - one for each race, though by rights it is the same ship just in 3 colours)
    Free level 50 Ship token per character (It's how all my KDF get the B'rel)

Did I miss anything?

Don't think so.....

That is all the stuff Golds get Silvers cannot get without spending money on being Gold / Lifetime.
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I read about an interesting doff in the DR operations package, giving heal on attack pattern beta or something like this. Did not find it on the exchange so far, maybe its bound? 12k zen just to get that doff smells a bit like p2w^^
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm perfectly satisfed with my LTS. And no, there is no "unfair" advantage for being an LTS.

In fact, Id go so far to say that a non paying player has the "unfair" advantage, in that they can recieve everything in game with some time and effort.

The few exclusive LTS items, ships and races are inconsequential at best.

The only item i can think of that is actually super exclusive in STO (and could make a difference) was for those who Pre Ordered STO, and recieved the coveted "Red Matter Capacitor"
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lebtron wrote: »
    I read about an interesting doff in the DR operations package, giving heal on attack pattern beta or something like this. Did not find it on the exchange so far, maybe its bound? 12k zen just to get that doff smells a bit like p2w^^

Not quite

Three's 3 DOFFs you get regardless of faction. The exact details slip me but it goes along like this:

* Shield Distribution DOFF that gives a small percentage of attacks as shield heals (real nifty, IMHO). This is probably what you're thinking about, but it's quite useful and I stuff this in with most builds I do. For Roms, on top of the Valdore Console, it should be easy to keep shields in very good condition.

* Another DOFF that when you use ASIF, it placates the enemy if your hull is below a certain %

* Another DOFF that allows Tachyon Beam to pull a target (as a Science player, there's nasty implications on that with a Drain Boat).
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not quite

Three's 3 DOFFs you get regardless of faction. The exact details slip me but it goes along like this:

* Shield Distribution DOFF that gives a small percentage of attacks as shield heals (real nifty, IMHO). This is probably what you're thinking about, but it's quite useful and I stuff this in with most builds I do. For Roms, on top of the Valdore Console, it should be easy to keep shields in very good condition.

* Another DOFF that when you use ASIF, it placates the enemy if your hull is below a certain %

* Another DOFF that allows Tachyon Beam to pull a target (as a Science player, there's nasty implications on that with a Drain Boat).

Ah, thx for clarifying that. Maybe I will get the package sooner or later as there are some interesting ship mastery traits too:)
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ermaname wrote: »

I'd prefer an I.S.S. designation for all my ships
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    giveroffacialsgiveroffacials Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014

KNOCK, KNOCK

Who's there?

REALITY IS..

Reality who?

REALITY IS WHO PAYS GETS STUFF.

Many people would say if people who aren't paying get anything...anything at all...it's unfair to the people who pay to play. In reality most Free to play games are really a try before you buy option.

For example in SWTOR "Free to play" people get experience at HALF the rate of subscribers AND they top out five levels from the cap. If you aren't paying you really don't have the right to expect anything. Subscribers who put in over a hundred dollars a year are going to get something for their money. STO treats FTP players better than most games do.
    Space the final frontier. These are the voyages of [your name here] on a five year mission to gain one level after the delta rising xp nerf.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I was incredulous when I saw the title to this thread.

"...ermahgerd, people who pay get more stuff than those who don't, not fair not fair not fair..."

Lol, well lets put this into a simple context. If the freeplayers got the same as the people who pay, then why would people pay iif they got it for free? If we got everything for free, then no-one would spend money, then.... bye bye STO.

I class myself as a freeplayer, even though I have bought Zen with cash in the past when I wanted some new ships or gear from the C-store. Soon I will be picking up the new T6 Romulan warbird which will mean me spending some more pennies, but I digress.

If I bought aa lifetime subscription, then damn right I would expect lots more goodies, but I won't be doing that yet. As I am a casual player, I am more happy buying with cash, as and when I need it.

So if you want the epic stuff, then stop being such a miser and get your credit card out.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    jockey1979 wrote: »
    Playable Talaxian
    Playable Borg
    Vet Ships (3 - one for each race, though by rights it is the same ship just in 3 colours)
    Free level 50 Ship token per character (It's how all my KDF get the B'rel)

Did I miss anything?

Don't think so.....

That is all the stuff Golds get Silvers cannot get without spending money on being Gold / Lifetime.

Just to add - none of which provides an unfair advantage over silver players. All it boils down to is having something unique to wave arround, not necessarilly better.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    desade1desade1 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Big problem is that new players will be unable to survive more than a second against a pay to win veteran. Of course since pvp is dead this is not so bad. Just have to stay cloaked in Kerrat.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yes. Now we can slot a race that instead of having massive dps like a romulan can get a few extra crafting materials. With that leetness we can make one, maybe two extra upgrade scrolls per day, or maybe even a laser beam! It will take a couple of days to level one up but I already started one because I don't have enough to do upgrading all my gear on my old toons, and certainly have a lot of time on my hands after using my leet bought and paid for skillz to faceroll thru 10 daily mirror events for each character.

Or, just maybe, all you get from spending money is a little bit of zen each month, enough to buy a couple of ships / year and if lifetime access to a bunch of mid grade stuff that is not terribly exciting --- some fireworks, a monkey pet, the vet destroyers, borg and new race, things like that. The only thing I get consistent benefit from is my $5 worth of zen per month. You could just spend the $5 / month and have everything I have that matters as lifetime. If you play and pay that for several YEARS I will come out "ahead" for having only paid once forever instead of 5/ month. But that is 3+ years after the fact.

And if you don't spend the $5/month you can have everything I do with a little "work" converting dil to zen. I do a lot of that myself, because 5 bucks does not go very far.
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    desade1 wrote: »
    Big problem is that new players will be unable to survive more than a second against a pay to win veteran. Of course since pvp is dead this is not so bad. Just have to stay cloaked in Kerrat.

The state of the PvP is a whole another problem by itself. It doesn't really matter how experienced or new you are, I've been playing since 2011 and I can still get insta-vaped by the likes of minimax in PvP.

Maybe balancing the queues by gear score would be a solution to this, so that players with uber lockbox, elite fleet and such gear get paired with such players and the ones that are still building their chars would be paired with others on the same level of development. If I'm not mistaking, I think that NW has sth. like this.
    And the warzones should remain warzones. Ker'rat needs to be a free for all regardless of gear, skill or whatever. Warzones are for the likes of Captain Kirk and General Chang. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I get so tired of this argument, if subs and lifers got something beneficial over f2pers, then what?? If i pay for a service, any sevice, then i should be provided with something better than the person who doesnt pay.

OP, if while spending $100 in a store you observed someone next to you being given the same items for free, would you be ok with that?? Of course you wouldnt!! How people can have the audacity, and get all arsy, about the idea that someone who has paid gets more, is beyond me.. Especially in a game where -

a) The extras arnt really all that great, as suggested, they are pure fluff.

b) Anything that is genuinly beneficial, or better than free, is grindable.

I do so wish people would stop with this question.. it is NOT pay2win, it IS pay2notwait!
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Tiny buff to refining, a T5 ship, a shuttle (that only looks decent for the fed version) and now the upgrade token are the only things of real merit.

I can safely say that the 5% xp buff that vets get might as well vanish with the pittance the game gives you. Ground on kobali prime 1 kill it 2-3 xp so 5% of that doesnt even register.

Playable races are nice if you want to make use of the traits or be a borg, likewise the android boff is a traits thing.

Barely anything is an advantage.

Oh there is the stipend but since I've had my lts I've noticed more than a few times the zen hasnt been awarded and trying to ask support about it is more painful than DR levelling.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited October 2014

People who pay do not necessarily get an unfair advantage over F2P players. Yes, they are given extra perks (like playable races and 500 monthly Zen) and exclusives (like veteran ships), but that is in exchange for a lump sum of cash ($200 / $300 for LTS) that is paid in advance. People who pay the month $15 subscription can eventually get things like the veteran ships after subscribing for 1,000 days.

It is kinda like purchasing the collector edition of a game, you pay more for the normal edition of a game, but you get extra stuff for your money, Fallout 3 is the one and only game I purchased on the release date; I did not even bother reading any reviews for it. I simply wanted the game. Now I could have paid more money for the collector's edition which included a lunchbox and a bobble head, but I am not sure if it included a special in-game item. I did not bother buying the collector's edition because I felt it was not worth the money to get the other trinkets. But obviously there are people who purchased it.

Aside from the few "perks" that only LTS or gold subscribers get everything else can be obtained by F2P player by either using Zen purchased with real money, or by grinding for dilithium to be exchanged for dilithium. If LTS and gold members do not get something of value in return for giving Cryptic real money, then what's the incentive to pay money?

The real advantage are given to people who purchased a LTS for $200 and have been playing for a long time. In the US the 500 Zen monthly stipend is worth $5. That means if you play STO for 40 months you will have received $200 worth of Zen. After that point Cryptic is essentially paying you 500 Zen per month to play STO. Think about it... you are being paid with in game currency to play STO...