test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

800 day ship token is character bound ? Why ?

forvrsnoopyforvrsnoopy Member Posts: 15 Arc User
Is there any logical reason why the 800 day ship upgrade token is character bound ? I checked the I got from the mail, it said "Accound bound". I don't think twice and just open it.... and BAM the token is character bound.

Please oh please change it to account bound.
Post edited by forvrsnoopy on

Comments

• Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    You mean the box I got with BOLD YELLOW TEXT saying it will be bound once opened?

Also from patch notes
    One Ship Upgrade Token per Account
    The Upgrade Token rewardpack will be mailed in game to the first character that logs in on the account.
    That character will receive a rewadpack which can be traded to any character on the same account.
    Once the Upgrade Token is unpacked, it will be bound to that character and cannot be traded.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I reckon it's so you can't sell it.

The box it came in *was* account bound. I knew that because I actually read the text.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yes I'm sure it was written yet I'm asking what's the reason.

Look, I got excited, read "Account bound" on the box, and opened it.

Should I have read the whole box ? Probably but it seemed logical to think it was account bound. Why do I feel bad about opening a present, I wonder.
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Although they didn't bother reading the description of the box, the OP does have a point though, why bother character-binding the token when the box it comes in is account bound? What's the point? For that matter, why even have a box? Why not just directly award an account bound token? It's not like you can exploit it.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    When you use it to upgrade a ship, the upgrade is all ships of that class on the account. If it were one per toon, you could turn it into effectively endless upgrades. Hence, you get the one.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    When you use it to upgrade a ship, the upgrade is all ships of that class on the account. If it were one per toon, you could turn it into effectively endless upgrades. Hence, you get the one.

Thanks but it still doesn't answer my question. In what you say, it wouldn't matter on what character I unlock the ship. I only have one token, and it gets consumed once either way.

Edit : Also, I didn't ask for one token per character.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Should I have read the whole box ? Probably but it seemed logical to think it was account bound. Why do I feel bad about opening a present, I wonder.

It sucks this happened but honestly just about any expensive item you can obtain in a box is binding once you open it.
  • Options
    truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It was stated that it will be mailed to my inbox... problem is that it has been broken since May 4th, 2014. How is there another way on getting the token?
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014

There are a ton of things in this game that come in boxes so you can trade them or sell them but if you open the box, you're claiming it...

Submit a ticket. No one here can help you.
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My question was the same as some of yours. Why does it come in a box? It's clear they can make a "new" character bound version of these items, so why not just make an account bound version NOT in a box instead? The extra step is pointless, confusing, and potentially leads to situations where people.. regardless as to the warning.. open it by accident on the wrong character. The only possible reason I can come up with is that Cryptic hoped that situations just like this would occur.. which just doesn't make sense to me.
  • Options
    bada4boombada4boom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You only have an issue if the ship you are trying to upgrade is from a different faction.

As someone else said the upgrade is done on a single char but it is for the whole account. Once you upgrade a specific C-Store ship on a char all your other chars that have access to said ship will get to upgrade it for free and also its fleet variant.

If you wanted to upgrade say a KDF ship and unopened the package on a fed char then only a support ticket might help you.

If you got it on a char of the same faction, just claim the ship you want to upgrade on that char, upgrade it, and then on the char that you want to use it the ship and its fleet variant will have a free upgrade button.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Why did they put a character-bound item in an account-bound box instead of making the item itself account-bound? Because Cryptic.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well, that is unfortunate. I happened to login on my Captain instead of my Admiral tonight. So this means the upgrade token found in the account-bound reward box is still character-bound to my Captain? I never rush my characters to end-game. That just never has been my play-style. And my Admiral who will need the token sooner won't have a T5U starship unless I stick with my veteran Chimera or buy new tokens to unlock a different class of starship.

Oops.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    psiameese wrote: »
    Well, that is unfortunate. I happened to login on my Captain instead of my Admiral tonight. So this means the upgrade token found in the account-bound reward box is still character-bound to my Captain? I never rush my characters to end-game. That just never has been my play-style. And my Admiral who will need the token sooner won't have a T5U starship unless I stick with my veteran Chimera or buy new tokens to unlock a different class of starship.

Oops.

Only if you open the box, if you have not opened the box you can place it in your account bank and trade it to your Admiral.

I am guessing that there is some tech limitation that makes the consumable token itself not able to be Account Bound.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I figured out why it's character bound token inside an account bound box...

the folks who work at Cryptic now are not the same folks who made STO... they dont know the game code or fully understand it. That's why when they broke stuff like how Klingons couldnt zone into the star cluster in Sirius sector... they never fixed it cause they couldnt figure out wtf they did to break it or if they did, couldnt figure out how to fix it without undoing their additions to the game code.

They have issues with bound items becoming unbound by splitting them or merging them with unbound items.

Current patch notes confirms this.

You can buy upgrade tokens that are not bound and can be freely traded or sold on the exchange... if they made the token ACCOUNT bound, it would become unbound when merged with the normal store bought ones. That is why it HAS to be Character bound. They put it inside a box that is account bound so it could be traded with your account bank and you can not stack this box cause there is no stacking of boxes.

See it all fits... that also explains why so many freaking bugs are introduced into this game... this is a frankenstein monster game with them adding new code constantly and they dont fuilly understand how that new code would break things.

Could explain the problem with secondary deflectors for science ships... you would think all that need to do is add a new slot to the ships for the deflectors... guess that would cause all sorts of problems cause it would add it to all ships that use the same model/code? Why only the new science ships have had 2ndary deflectors.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

the folks who work at Cryptic now are not the same folks who made STO... they dont know the game code or fully understand it. That's why when they broke stuff like how Klingons couldnt zone into the star cluster in Sirius sector... they never fixed it cause they couldnt figure out wtf they did to break it or if they did, couldnt figure out how to fix it without undoing their additions to the game code.

They have issues with bound items becoming unbound by splitting them or merging them with unbound items.

You can buy upgrade tokens that are not bound and can be freely traded or sold on the exchange... if they made the token ACCOUNT bound, it would become unbound when merged with the normal store bought ones. That is why it HAS to be Character bound. They put it inside a box that is account bound so it could be traded with your account bank and you can not stack this box cause there is no stacking of boxes.

See it all fits... that also explains why so many freaking bugs are introduced into this game... this is a frankenstein monster game with them adding new code constantly and they dont fuilly understand how that new code would break things.

Could explain the problem with secondary deflectors for science ships... you would think all that need to do is add a new slot to the ships for the deflectors... guess that would cause all sorts of problems cause it would add it to all ships that use the same model/code? Why only the new science ships have had 2ndary deflectors.

Sorry, but if you're going to discuss wild speculation as fact, you may wish to provide evidence to support your 'theories' less it resemble nothing but wild conspiracies...

As to why they become character bound, no idea...

Does it matter? If you bother to read what the box says, not really...

As it is, even if it does become bound to a certain character, unlocking a specific ship unlocks it for the entire account anyway, so just use it on that character...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    admiralkristovadmiralkristov Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »

They seem to have no problems with bound and unbound item upgrade tokens.... Weird theory though.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Possible issues regarding stacking with regular tokens seems the most plausible explanation.

I was thinking "I'll just wait for them to release T7 ships, then I'll upgrade my T6 (soon fleet T6) to T6U" just to show you guys that I can be patient.

But I just remembered : the text on the token specifically says "T5 to T5U", so I guess they'll introduce new tokens when the time comes.

Maybe I should just delete it :( I have no use for it. I only have 3 characters, one for each faction, and my Klingon has a Guramba Siege Destroyer (can't be upgraded) and a T6.
  • Options
    nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there any logical reason why the 800 day ship upgrade token is character bound ? I checked the I got from the mail, it said "Accound bound". I don't think twice and just open it.... and BAM the token is character bound.

just buy the dam thing of the exchange, it is 12 mil. ffs
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    nesomumi2 wrote: »

Thank you sir, that perfectly answers my question. /sarcasm
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Not trying to be a jerk but L2READ! They explained the entire thing clearly --- that it appears to the first character to log in, that it is tradeable until opened, and that after opening is bound.

Just like a ship --- buy it off the exchange with your level 10 bank toon and then open it, guess what happens?
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nesomumi2 wrote: »

That's what I did, LAST week. I was only planning to upgrade my scimitar . . . Can I use it to upgrade by Cell ship back to its pre nerfed levels? Even when I get free stuff from Cryptic, it does not work out quite right.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Having it account bound both boxed and unboxed shouldn't be a problem.

I wasnt expecting to see it and when I read the mail that came with it I tabbed out to double check. The box is now sitting in my account bank while I decide the most effective ship to use it on, as in which one I'm most likely to play across all characters. Scimitar or oddy are tempting but for the decision to class them as three ships.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I already said I know I should have read it.

I just want to know why, so I can make sense of this.

I usually read everything (even the patch notes). Just not this time. I read "Account Bound" and stopped reading after.

Anyways, please treat this as a suggestion and close the thread.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    you would think it would make perfect sense to have it account bound, but it not so that's that.
    not much of an answer I know but its better then you will get from cryptic.

if you haven't got a ship you can upgrade with the character that has it now, you are stuck with either discarding it or saveing it just in case.
    onerats wrote: »
    My question was the same as some of yours. Why does it come in a box? It's clear they can make a "new" character bound version of these items, so why not just make an account bound version NOT in a box instead? The extra step is pointless, confusing, and potentially leads to situations where people.. regardless as to the warning.. open it by accident on the wrong character. The only possible reason I can come up with is that Cryptic hoped that situations just like this would occur.. which just doesn't make sense to me.

the idea is that you might not have seen the news item before logging in and seeing that the item was bound to character so they put it in an account bound box so you could transfer it to another character before opening it, daft way to do it I know but there you go.

I don't know why they could not just give an account bound token like what come with the delta ship pack that way although I received the tokens on my fed I was able to transfer one to my kdf and one to my rom.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Because reading is hard n'stuff. :P

Feel for ya, OP; that said, I've learned (after a couple times) to read the text. This sorta falls under the 'My own da** fault' category.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    wildmousexwildmousex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I already said I know I should have read it.

I just want to know why, so I can make sense of this.

I usually read everything (even the patch notes). Just not this time. I read "Account Bound" and stopped reading after.

Anyways, please treat this as a suggestion and close the thread.

Thanks.

most likely the reason why is because they simply used the code framework for something that already exist's in game which comes in an account box, with character lock item ( dil mining rights for example), and just changed the item attached to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Me playing UT2k4 (red guy) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0DnP7wXnU
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wildmousex wrote: »
    most likely the reason why is because they simply used the code framework for something that already exist's in game which comes in an account box, with character lock item ( dil mining rights for example), and just changed the item attached to it.
    This is essentially correct. The system is already in place in the game for Lockbox items, etc. There is no reason to re-invent the wheel here. They put the Token in a box. You can do whatever you want with the box, but the moment you open the box the item is locked to the character who opened it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    rustychatrustychat Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, I don't know why they didn't just give us a normal token. It's not like we could have gotten more than one anyway, and I don't see the added bit of flexibility causing any problems.
  • Options
    steaensteaen Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Forgive the stupid question, but how do you actually claim this?

I have the mail message, and I can see the picture of the reward box at the bottom of the mail, there's even a (greyed out) button saying 'take item'...but right clicking, left clicking or any other form of clicking doesn't seem to make that button active.

Am I just being REALLY dumb here?